Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Extra plug on headlight harness?

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta GLS - 2.0 ABA - Manual - 89K
      02-27-2015 07:21 AM #1
      After tearing my front end apart I've noticed a disconnected plug on the passenger side of the headlight harness on my 98 GLS. This is my first mk3 and I haven't been able to find where it goes, searching both the car and online. Now that I've torn the front end apart again its annoying me and I decided to ask.

Here is what IS connected on the passenger side:

Headlight
      Turn Signal
      Marker Light
      (1) Horn
      A/C Pressure Switch on the dryer
      EVAP Vent Valve

Driver side:
      Headlight
      Turn Signal
      Marker Light

The connector is a 2-wire rectangular plug.

Note: I do not have factory fogs, and there are no disconnected plugs on the drivers side, I checked to rule out that a swapped in fog-equipped HL harness. There also seems to be no cuts or splices anywhere on the harness. I removed the entire harness and inspected it, although without removing any wrapping or loom.
      Last edited by Miigotu; 02-27-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Vehicles
      94 Golf, 96 Wagon, 98 Jetta
      02-27-2015 09:27 AM #2
      only connectors on the headlight harness from what i remember is the headlight (2 per side if dual chamber), sidemarker, turn signal, fog (if equipped) and 2 horn connectors on the passenger side should be blue/yellow and black/brown wires.
      COYS!!!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Tuërkis and Tornado Subaru Impreza
      02-27-2015 11:23 AM #3
      outside temp sensor? do you have this switch? > http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks.../Climate/276/1
      should be a round hole in the passenger lower vent on the lower front bumper that houses this switch.

4. 02-27-2015 11:27 AM #4
      Sounds like it's for one of the horns. There should be two on the passenger side. The bracket on the lower one tends to rust out if you live in a climate with snow and may have been removed at some point which is why you can't find where to plug it in.

Could also be for the switch mentioned above too, but I think those are more commonly under the rain tray.
      Last edited by zero.; 02-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      02-27-2015 11:32 AM #5
      well yes, there are 2 horns so if he's got one then that should be it, perhaps he's only got one horn and needs a replacement...
      I wasn't aware that the outside temp switch came on GL-gls models, actually I'm pretty sure they didn't but thought I'd offer that as a possibility.

6. Member
      02-27-2015 11:47 AM #6
      photos would help.

02-27-2015 01:35 PM #7
      It's for fog lights. Some models came prewired
      The Wagon
      The Mk3 VR
      tberardinucci
      Quote Originally Posted by iheartphaetons View Post
      Driving comes in two styles. First is extra cautious because family, scared female, or cop. Other is straight Russian dash cam.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      02-27-2015 02:14 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by tylerlb View Post
      It's for fog lights. Some models came prewired
      some cabrios came pre wired.
      the Op has one plug as he's stated ( fogs would be 2 plugs).

9. Member
      Vehicles
      90 GTI 96 Golf gl
      02-27-2015 06:12 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by zero. View Post
      Sounds like it's for one of the horns. There should be two on the passenger side. The bracket on the lower one tends to rust out if you live in a climate with snow and may have been removed at some point which is why you can't find where to plug it in.
      DING DING we have a winner!

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      02-27-2015 11:22 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by zero. View Post
      This is it. I had suspected it to be a second horn but all of the info I found about horns said the second one was driver side, I guess I was only finding info for mk4s.
      I went to the scrap yard today to find a few odds n ends and found an mk3 with both horns intact and now I see where they go. Mine was missing the outter one by the marker light/evap vent. So I bought both horns off that car and a head light harness with oem fog plugs for $15.

Now on to my last Q, when I plug in either replacement horn into the open connector neither my working one or the replacement horn works. Unplug the second horn and the original works fine. I thought it might need a relay but the spot the fuse/relay diagrams designate for the dual horn relay has a relay in it, and I see no bridges in any of my relay sockets. Could I be looking at the wrong place due to differences between OBD1/OBD2 fuse/relay positions? I am going out to test unhooking my original and plugging one of the replacements in that connector and see if it fires, if no I will assume the horns I bought are seized up.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      02-27-2015 11:37 PM #11
      you said you bought a full harness with plugs at the junkyard?
      try disconnecting your harness (right behind the hood latch), connect the new one with horns plugged in and see if that works. maybe your harness is bad somewhere.

fuse and relay diagram> http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...hset/index.htm

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 01:13 AM #12
      Yeah I'll try that, as well as a new relay. I did the test I said I was gonna do in my last post and it seems the replacement horns are seized from sitting in the junkyard unused for too long. One of the horns I got to honk a few times, and then I hooked my original up to the other connector and it worked a few times with the replacement being delayed like it was having trouble moving its diaphram. But then my original stopped working too. I can hear the relay click when I press the buttons but no honks, even without the replacement connected. So either I killed my original horn, burnt relay contacts, or have a short in the harness. I'll be putting the headlight harness in tomorrow, so I'll test again then.

I might try spraying some WD or something into the horn bells of the junk yard ones and see if it frees the diaphrams up.

I've had the car less than two months and I cant even remember everything that I have replaced on it already lol. Trying to get everything mechanically right and replacing broken/scuffed things here and there. Replaced an axle, hub, rear brakes/bearings, radiator, coolant flush and correct coolant, oil, filters, etc, fogs, fender, fixed rear power windows, reverse light switch, fixed license plate and marker lights, and some more things too but forget. Still need to do LCA bushings, tie rods, and alignment. Needs a paint job. Trying to restore it to newer like condition before I go beyond the TT exhaust I put on it. But I snatched it for $800 with 89k miles lol. Score. Just cant believe someone kept this car such low miles but didn't take care of it what so ever.

Edit: Forgot the biggest job I did on it so far... I did the water pump, timing belt, and accessory belts too.
      Last edited by Miigotu; Yesterday at 03:12 AM.