VWVortex.com - pre to post-facelift body plug differences???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: pre to post-facelift body plug differences???

Vehicles
      RWD B5 Avant 1.8T, girls MK4 1.8T
      03-15-2015 11:31 AM #1
      I ran into an issue with my project B5 (more of an oversight on my part). The plugs on the engine harness that plug into the body harness from the engine harness are different from pre-facelift to post-facelift cars.
      the situation I'm in is that i had a few engine harnesses from pre-facelift AEB laying around. I bought a 2000MY(facelift) AEB engined car. i rebuilt the engine and just put it back in the other day.

i had spent some time this winter deleting everything unnecessary from one of my spare harnesses and wiring it for my v8 maf and icm delete.

i went to put it in the car the other night and discovered something i hadn't noticed. The plugs on the harness are different than whats in my car.

Pre-facelift plugs...

Post-facelift plugs...

What I am hoping is that someone might have the pin-outs for the connectors for the pre- and post-facelift engine harness to the body harness. any help/input is appreciated
      RWD-converted '99 A4 Avant 1.8T.
      AEB : Eurodyne Maestro : K04 : 630cc inj : 3bar fpr : FMIC : B6 S4 MAF : Custom intake/TIP : 3" straight-pipe : simplified Vac lines/engine harness : BBS : Racelands(ftw)

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      03-15-2015 03:28 PM #2
      I can get you the wiring diagrams for pre- and post- facelift if that would help? You'd need to go through them and identify each plug one at a time - I usually make a spreadsheet to compare the two sets of wiring and figure out differences from there.
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      03-15-2015 05:35 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
      I can get you the wiring diagrams for pre- and post- facelift if that would help? You'd need to go through them and identify each plug one at a time - I usually make a spreadsheet to compare the two sets of wiring and figure out differences from there.
      that would definitely help, lemme see em!
      AEB : Eurodyne Maestro : K04 : 630cc inj : 3bar fpr : FMIC : B6 S4 MAF : Custom intake/TIP : 3" straight-pipe : simplified Vac lines/engine harness : BBS : Racelands(ftw)

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      03-15-2015 07:23 PM #4
      Turns out we didn't get the AEB in the facelift cars in Europe - it stopped in 98/99. However, we did get it in the Passat, and that uses the same flat connectors as the facelift A4 so it should match up. Some things will be missing from these such as reverse lights, but they should be common colours anyway. What I tend to do is make a spreadsheet of each plug and the wire colours in it, then go through the diagrams and identify what each wire is. You can then match the two schemes together.

1996 A4 AEB engine wiring - round pins

2000 Passat AEB engine wiring - flat pins

Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      04-07-2015 12:15 PM #5
      Just an update, once I had those diagrams courtesy of @mikkijayne, it was a lot easier than I expected. I was just making myself more nervous than I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 10-22-2015 08:39 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by garytightpants View Post
      Just an update, once I had those diagrams courtesy of @mikkijayne, it was a lot easier than I expected. I was just making myself more nervous than I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Gary, any chance you have that diagram layed out? I will be honest my wire reading is not the greatest, the soldering/swapping is nothing major, doing a swap into a 98.

Thanks!

For advertising information click HERE