Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check out that 4x4!

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '91 M5 '08 Xterra
      04-28-2015 09:51 AM #51
      Loaded up to head to Denver now. Pretty soon it will be flat and boring.

Vehicles
      95 mustang GT, 08 Goldwing , 2015 RAM, 79 Bronco
      04-28-2015 10:15 AM #52
      Cool trip! Brings back memories of when I was 15 and the 3 week trip we did out west. We hit all of those spots as well. Would love to get back out there one day.

3. 04-28-2015 10:42 AM #53
      Nice truck OP, a solid-axle Toyota in that shape would fetch premium $$ up here. Most have all dissolved by now.

Vehicles
      04-30-2015 11:04 PM #54
      I made it home last night at about 11:00. On Tuesday we drove from Rawlins WY to Denver CO and ate lunch. I dropped my wife off at the airport at about 2:00 and then continued to Kansas City, ~850 miles makes for a long day. Wednesday AM I left Kansas City MO and burned through about 800 miles to get home. The truck never missed a beat on the whole trip, absolutely flawless.

Today I got some time to go over the truck and give it a much deserved wash. The chrome wheels have a little rust in the seams so I hit them with some steel wool and they look much better. I've also started making a list of what to address first. The rust on the bed is going to be a pain but it has to be done, it really detracts from the clean overall condition.

IMG_1504 by willtel, on Flickr

IMG_1505 by willtel, on Flickr

Dogs love trucks!

IMG_1506 by willtel, on Flickr

Vehicles
      05-19-2015 11:21 AM #55
      This weekend was the first day of real truck duty for the Toyota. My brother in law found a group of about twelve houses that are being torn down to make way for a new senior living community so we went over there after the pulp wood had been cleared and got loads of ornamental plants to transplant in the yard. I got to fill up the bed with dirt and plants and got to drive through old yards and ditches collecting things. Those ugly bed tie downs even came in handy.

IMG_1547 by Patrick Downs, on Flickr

I haven't done anything else to the truck other than clean it a little. It's first oil change under my watch will be this weekend. The oil filter is tiny!
      Last edited by patrickvr6; 05-19-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Vehicles
      10-20-2015 10:28 PM #56
      I'm still super happy with this thing. I've been driving it to work quite a bit while dealing with some issues with my wagon. It gets good milage, is pretty darn useful, and it isn't torture to drive. I've been hunting around for different parts that it needs and I will say that is a pain. Searching for parts for a vehicle that has "Pickup" as a model name isn't easy.

I have a new shift knob on the way as the factory one is cracked and the shift pattern indicator is missing. For some reason these knobs are NLA from Toyota and I've only seen two used ones pop up and they were beat for what the sellers wanted for them.

I'm putting one of these on it. The leather is a little too fancy for the cab but should be better than the cracked one if I can't find an original.

I also picked up a used drivers vent window to get the latch from it. Mine is missing the little push button that makes it latch into place so once it shows up I'll be able to replace it and get that window sealing correctly again.

I've replaced a few lenses up front that were sandblasted and I'm planning to replace the bumper as the chrome is pitted. I also replaced the clutch and brake pedal pads as they were worn out. All minor stuff but every little detail helps.

We are in the middle of building and addition to our house so this afternoon I borrowed my builders debris trailer to get rid of some old fencing I found on my property. It was pretty full and the little 4 pot wasn't happy about moving it around it was just up and down the driveway so no big deal.

SR5 by willtel, on Flickr

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      02-17-2017 11:34 AM #57
      Time for a little Toyota update. It has rolled over 200k miles now and has been perfectly reliable.

One major thing I have done was adding a factory air conditioning system using a parts from pickups and 4-Runners. Despite being an SR-5 this truck seems to be pretty sparsely optioned. It has the good seats and carpet with a center console but no power windows or fancy stuff like a sunroof. I used a 4-Runner condenser since it is larger with a new compressor and expansion valve. It works pretty well and makes it much more livable in Georgia summers. The install was pretty straightforward as all the wiring for the AC is there from the factory so the additional parts just plug in. Finding all the correct parts was far less entertaining.

AC Install by willtel, on Flickr

AC by willtel, on Flickr

Overall the truck has been super handy to have around. I use it often for yardwork duties and Craigslist runs when my wife finds a piece of furniture that she can't live without. I suppose I could have gotten by with a Subaru and a utility trailer but from the things I read around here I would need to feed it a diet of new pistons at regular intervals.

Too much by willtel, on Flickr

Yesterday I had the windshield replaced. I've had some sort of leak on the drivers side and it has been cracked since I bought it so it was time. I've pulled the carpet out to let it dry and give it a good cleaning and I've got some surface rust to address on the floor pan. I'll coat it with some POR-15 and add some much needed sound deadener while I have it apart.

Scope creep by willtel, on Flickr

Next up is a seriously upgraded stereo system. The truck came with an old 2000 era Panasonic CD player with no auxiliary input playing through the factory 4" speakers in the dash. It made noise but it sucked. Out with the old and in with the new.

The head unit is a Sony RSX-GS9 that is feeding a Helix P Six DSP MK2 that will handle processing and amplification.

Sony RSX-GS9 by willtel, on Flickr

Front stage is a Morel Virtus Nano 602 separates set. These are pretty unique in that the 6.5" midbass driver is only 11\16" deep which helps because the kick panels in this truck are really shallow and I don't want to cut up the factory door panels to add drivers there.

For a sub I think I am leaning towards a Sundown SD-3 10" which is a shallow mount driver designed for sealed enclosures that I'll put in some sort of custom box behind the seats. I'll update again once I'm a little further along with the stereo install.

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      02-17-2017 11:52 AM #58
      Hurray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02-19-2017 08:39 PM #59
      I got most of the stereo stuff installed on Friday. The interior is still in shambles and I have lots of tuning to do but it makes noise.

I put the mids and tweeters in the factory kick panels.

Morel Nano by willtel, on Flickr

Morel kick panel by willtel, on Flickr

Morel kick by willtel, on Flickr

I also got the rust cleaned up on the floor and coated with POR-15.

Unrusted by willtel, on Flickr

Coated by willtel, on Flickr

I still need to put some more sound deadening material on the floor before I can get the carpet back in.

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      02-19-2017 08:43 PM #60

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      02-19-2017 08:49 PM #61
      No Soundstream in this one?

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      02-19-2017 09:42 PM #63
      Why not remove the sound deadening "tar"?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

13. I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      02-19-2017 10:30 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      It's difficult to remove. Best just to leave it
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

14. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-19-2017 10:59 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Time for a little Toyota update. It has rolled over 200k miles now and has been perfectly reliable.
      Of course!

One major thing I have done was adding a factory air conditioning system using a parts from pickups and 4-Runners. Despite being an SR-5 this truck seems to be pretty sparsely optioned. It has the good seats and carpet with a center console but no power windows or fancy stuff like a sunroof. I used a 4-Runner condenser since it is larger with a new compressor and expansion valve. It works pretty well and makes it much more livable in Georgia summers. The install was pretty straightforward as all the wiring for the AC is there from the factory so the additional parts just plug in. Finding all the correct parts was far less entertaining.
      Back in the day "SR5" didn't mean that it came with the fancy stuff. If I remember correctly it stood for "sport rally 5-speed" and was more about that than luxury appointments. I believe that changed over time. There were Corolla and I believe Celica SR5s, too. Perhaps even Tercels. It's been a long time, so I'm a bit fuzzy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      02-19-2017 11:30 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Easy to remove, just use some dry ice.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      02-20-2017 08:53 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post

It can trap moisture and hide some nasty rust.

Easy to remove, just use some dry ice.

That didn't work for me.

I've had the best luck with a heat gun. Just scrapes off.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '94 Ranger | '92 Golf | '88 Jetta
      02-20-2017 01:32 PM #68
      My god, man... you are not f*cking around with the stereo in this thing! I thought putting an 80prs in my Ranger was ridiculous, but jesus...

Have you taken a look at the Stereo Integrity BM subs? The guys at DIYMA won't shut up about them, and they're a slim form factor. Dunno what's up with production though.

Regardless... I love the truck. for the acquisition, work, and update!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      02-20-2017 02:24 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      No Soundstream in this one?
      Cabin space is at a premium in this one so there isn't much room for big class A/B amps like that. I still have those amps in the garage and they may make their way into the M5 eventually.

I thought about it but it is in good shape and still seems to be adhering really well. It would a lot of work to remove it just to put more sound deadening down where it was so I'll just go over it. The rust came from an obvious leak that I hope I have fixed. The interior of a vehicle really shouldn't get wet so I'm hoping no moisture = no rust in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by odj View Post
      My god, man... you are not f*cking around with the stereo in this thing! I thought putting an 80prs in my Ranger was ridiculous, but jesus...

Have you taken a look at the Stereo Integrity BM subs? The guys at DIYMA won't shut up about them, and they're a slim form factor. Dunno what's up with production though.

Regardless... I love the truck. for the acquisition, work, and update!
      I've heard about the SI subs but I don't think they are in production any more. I think the Sundown will suit me and it is cheap enough to experiment with. For now I grabbed the MB Quart 10" out of my Porsche since it wasn't doing anything. It is ok but I think it would like some more juice. I'm a little limited in sub selection as I"ll be using 2 channels of the DSP 6 to power it, 230 watts per channel @ 2 ohms so I need a shallow mount dual voice coil 2 ohm sub that is happy around 500 watts.

IMG_8162 by willtel, on Flickr

19. Member
      Vehicles
      02-21-2017 02:34 PM #70
      I had a little case of bad luck \ good luck today on the way home for lunch. A 16 year of kid in a new Civic pulled out in front of me and despite my attempts to avoid him he made contact with the Toyota. Lucky for me he only caught the front right wheel and locking hub and it didn't cause any damage to my truck. His Civic wasn't quite as fortunate.

Since he didn't hurt my truck I opted not to contact the police and he is on his own as to what to do with his car. Civic drivers are the worst!!

I did what I could but the brakes locked up and he just kept steaming onward.
      Crash! by willtel, on Flickr

Civic Duty by willtel, on Flickr

No problem.
      No damage by willtel, on Flickr

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      02-21-2017 02:36 PM #71
      Civic drivers are the worst!!
      Damned Hondas.

21. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-21-2017 02:43 PM #72
      I believe that's where the phrase "the skin of my teeth" comes into play.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

02-21-2017 05:57 PM #73
      Wow
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

Vehicles
      I used to drive a Rabbit5GTI or something. May also own a NATO Sand Jeep.
      02-21-2017 07:10 PM #74
      Did the Civic driver take note of your license plate? Serious question, in case he tries to 'fake news' the story of the accident once he has to explain it to his parents .
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      02-22-2017 08:53 AM #75
      Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast