Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the MK3

1. 03-24-2015 08:55 PM #1
      Hey guys!! I recently bought a 95 Jetta GL. My 2nd VW. (I have a mk5 Jetta). It is my first manual & I love it!!! I really enjoy driving this car but I still get a little nervous on hills she's a little rough & needs some work but here she is
      & I swapped the cluster just yesterday
      Last edited by BarlesCharkley; 03-24-2015 at 08:59 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW Jetta SE 2.5 - 1996 VW Golf GL 4dr Hatchback
      03-26-2015 10:48 AM #2
      Like your seats. Mine look more like the older gti seats. After a week or two you will know the limit of your clutch and where it lets out at.

Vehicles
      '95 Golf MK3 2.0 8v
      03-26-2015 01:26 PM #3
      Wisconsin in the front, North Carolina in the back. That might get you pulled over by the fuzz. The new cluster is for an automatic? It's all good though.

4. 03-26-2015 06:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by moarbass View Post
      Like your seats. Mine look more like the older gti seats. After a week or two you will know the limit of your clutch and where it lets out at.
      Yeah the seats are really nice. Except that small spot on the back seat. But yeah I'm getting used to my clutch. Now when I drive my mk5 I feel dumb looking for the clutch when I turn it on

Quote Originally Posted by CheckeredCar View Post
      Wisconsin in the front, North Carolina in the back. That might get you pulled over by the fuzz. The new cluster is for an automatic? It's all good though.
      I haven't gotten pulled over yet but I found the Wisconsin plate while I was working. & yeah the cluster is from an automatic 98 Cabrio. Got it at the junk yard.

Vehicles
      So very many. Currently a 98' Jetta 2.0 5-MT.
      03-26-2015 07:07 PM #5
      Where about in NC?
      98' Jetta 2.0 5-MT

6. 03-26-2015 07:07 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jaed.43725 View Post
      Where about in NC?
      Raleigh

Vehicles
      So very many. Currently a 98' Jetta 2.0 5-MT.
      03-26-2015 07:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BarlesCharkley View Post
      Raleigh
      So you live right down the road from where I work. I work in Durham and live just south of Fuquay.
      98' Jetta 2.0 5-MT

8. 03-26-2015 07:13 PM #8
      I'm from Fuquay. But moved to Raleigh 2 years ago.

Vehicles
      97 GLS
      03-27-2015 01:03 AM #9
      Nice car! I like the Jettas in white. Youll soon get the hang of driving her, they are really easy to drive. Mine was also my first standard trans and I hadn't ever driven one before that. I traded my other car for it and when I was at the DMV I had to be at work in a half hour, and the DMV, my house and place of work were along a very busy road, and it was time for the lunch rush, had to go home to get changed then back to work. Needless to say it was a heck of a ride but I got there! It's been about six months and it's nailed down pretty well.

A lttle trick my friend taught me to practice hill starts is go on an incline somewhere without traffic like a buddie's driveway or something, then let off the clutch just enough to the grab point, basically holding yourself on the hill, then quickly start off normally with a bit more gas depending on the angle of the incline. Now if you attempt this remember that doing this you'll be "riding the clutch" so if you do it too often or hold it too long you'll be putting more wear on your clutch. You may have already been told this little tip but I wanted to share what worked for me the best. Good luck! Will want to see more of this little car.

10. 03-27-2015 06:23 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by thatzloudd View Post
      Nice car! I like the Jettas in white. Youll soon get the hang of driving her, they are really easy to drive. Mine was also my first standard trans and I hadn't ever driven one before that. I traded my other car for it and when I was at the DMV I had to be at work in a half hour, and the DMV, my house and place of work were along a very busy road, and it was time for the lunch rush, had to go home to get changed then back to work. Needless to say it was a heck of a ride but I got there! It's been about six months and it's nailed down pretty well.

A lttle trick my friend taught me to practice hill starts is go on an incline somewhere without traffic like a buddie's driveway or something, then let off the clutch just enough to the grab point, basically holding yourself on the hill, then quickly start off normally with a bit more gas depending on the angle of the incline. Now if you attempt this remember that doing this you'll be "riding the clutch" so if you do it too often or hold it too long you'll be putting more wear on your clutch. You may have already been told this little tip but I wanted to share what worked for me the best. Good luck! Will want to see more of this little car.
      Oh man the first week I had her I had to suffer through rush hour. I was so nervous I was shaking. I was scared. The route to go home has a hill on every stop light. I was really terrified but I managed to make it home with the car in one piece.

I've been told to never hold the car with the brakes on a hill. To always hold it with clutch & gas. But I don't like doing that. I pay attention to the other stop lights & when I think I'm about to get green I start feeling the clutch & quickly release the brake & give it gas.

I do feel like this car is really easy to drive before I got the car people would tell me that it's really hard to learn manual in a 4 cylinder cuz it lacked power. I tried driving a Mustang & a Ranger before I got my car, I didn't like it very much. This Jetta seems way smoother.

Vehicles
      97 GLS
      03-27-2015 06:59 AM #11
      Probably shouldn't hold yourself the whole duration of being on a hill. The clutch disk is sandwiched between the pressure plate and flywheel. The flywheel is directly connected to the crankshaft so as the engine turns so does the FW. A release bearing (aka throw out) is what your clutch pedal is more or less connected to, and is what pushes or releases the pressure plate springs. The pressure plate has "fingers" which act as springs which is what disengages (pedal all the way in) and engages (foot off the pedal) the disk. So when you push the clutch in enough to grab, you are holding the clutch partially engaged to the flywheel, which is constantly rubbing against the clutch disk material. That will definitely shorten the life of your clutch. The best tip I was told about standard transmissions is to keep the time your foot spends on the pedal as little as possible. That doesn't mean you have to speed shift every gear haha. You'll figure the small quirks as you go along and experiment with the nature of your clutch and your abilities. I have found out that to make smooth shifts it likes a tiny bit of gas as I let off. Just so that my foot is lightly resting on the gas as I come off. Things like that.

But really, on a hill keep it out of gear, hold with your brake. Then as traffic starts to move, get to the grab point of your clutch, then as soon as you let off the brake hit the gas enough to get you going. Once you got that down pat, you're good to go and will be starting off hills easy peasy! And over time when you get better at driving you may not even need to that technique anymore. You're feet will "memorize" without you consciously thinking about it. After six months I'm really not paying attention to how I start off or shift anymore, I just "do it" like I would turn a page in a book.

Honestly though, even of you ride the clutch out long or you burn it a bit (you'll smell something very stinky like sulfur) just keep going and don't worry about it. Clutches are a lot more durable than you might think and you have to really try to damage it in any way. You've probably heard that clutches with normal driving habits last anywhere between 80-100K miles, even more.

Hope I'm helping and all my typing made sense!
      Last edited by thatzloudd; 03-27-2015 at 07:13 AM.

12. 03-27-2015 07:07 AM #12
      Probably shouldn't hold yourself the whole duration of being on a hill. The clutch disk is sandwiched between the pressure plate and flywheel. The flywheel is directly connected to the crankshaft so as the engine turns so does the FW. A release bearing (aka throw out) is what your clutch pedal is more or less connected to. The pressure plate has "fingers" which act as springs which is what disengages (pedal all the way in) and engages (foot off the pedal) the disk. So when you push the clutch in enough to grab, you are holding the clutch partially engaged to the flywheel, which is constantly rubbing against the clutch disk material. That will definitely shorten the life of your clutch. The best tip I was told about standard transmissions is to keep the time your foot spends on the pedal as little as possible. That doesn't mean you have to speed shift every gear haha. You'll figure the small quirks as you go along and experiment with the nature of your clutch and your abilities. I have found out that to make smooth shifts it likes a tiny bit of gas as I let off. Just so that my foot is lightly resting on the gas as I come off. Things like that.

But really, on a hill keep it out of gear, hold with your brake. Then as traffic starts to move, get to the grab point of your clutch, then as soon as you let off the brake hit the gas enough to get you going. Honestly though, even of you ride the clutch out long or you burn it a bit (you'll smell something very stinky like sulfur) just keep going and don't worry about it. Clutches are a lot more durable than you might think and you have to really try to damage it in any way. You've probably heard that clutches with normal driving habits last anywhere between 80-100K miles, even more.

Hope I'm helping and all my typing made sense!
      That's a lot of help. There's been a few times where I could smell the clutch & I would get worried. I've noticed that I feel the grabbing point of my clutch is super high. Why is that?

Vehicles
      97 GLS
      03-27-2015 07:17 AM #13
      How high is it? Mine probably grabs about 3-4 inches from the floor? I'm not sure and I haven't driven my car in almost two weeks (waiting for a new trans) so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head to compare. Does everything else work fine? Do you know how many miles is on he clutch right now? Or do you know if it is a manual or auto adjusting clutch cable?

14. 03-27-2015 08:28 AM #14
      How high is it? Mine probably grabs about 3-4 inches from the floor? I'm not sure and I haven't driven my car in almost two weeks (waiting for a new trans) so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head to compare. Does everything else work fine? Do you know how many miles is on he clutch right now? Or do you know if it is a manual or auto adjusting clutch cable?
      It's pretty high man. Almost to the point where the whole clutch is released. Everything is working fine just needs a sensor. Well the car has 175,000 the previous owner said they're original miles nothing has been changed. So I'm guessing that's what the clutch has. & I have no clue if the clutch cable is manual or auto

Vehicles
      '95 Golf MK3 2.0 8v
      03-27-2015 10:38 AM #15
      Forget about your clutch for a while. If the car has 170K and you're not sure what work has been done on it then you should not even start the car again until you check the condition of the timing belt and tensioner.

16. 03-27-2015 12:19 PM #16
      Forget about your clutch for a while. If the car has 170K and you're not sure what work has been done on it then you should not even start the car again until you check the condition of the timing belt and tensioner.
      Is that usually when the timing belt goes bad?

Vehicles
      '95 Golf MK3 2.0 8v
      03-27-2015 12:32 PM #17
      If you're driving around at 170K with the original timing belt and tensioner then you're definitely driving on borrowed time. If the belt breaks while the engine is running then you risk valve damage that would result in a head rebuild, which would substantially increase the amount of money required to repair compared to timing belt and tensioner replacement. Heed my warning when I advise you to not even turn the car on until you have the timing belt and tensioner inspected and/or replaced.

18. 03-27-2015 07:05 PM #18
      If you're driving around at 170K with the original timing belt and tensioner then you're definitely driving on borrowed time. If the belt breaks while the engine is running then you risk valve damage that would result in a head rebuild, which would substantially increase the amount of money required to repair compared to timing belt and tensioner replacement. Heed my warning when I advise you to not even turn the car on until you have the timing belt and tensioner inspected and/or replaced.
      Dang that's scary. Well I'll get it checked out Saturday

Vehicles
      97 GLS
      03-27-2015 07:30 PM #19
      I will second what Checkered said. You run the risk of the Pistons eating your valves if the timing belt snaps. There seems to be sone debate as to whether or not these engines are interference or non interference. Basically meaning that when everything spins out of sync (from a snapped belt) there is enough clearance between the valves and head of the piston so as they do not smack against eachother. Either way not a good idea to risk that. If you want to attempt the repair yourself go ahead and change the water pump too, and update the cooling system. If your coolant is green... well some will argue against it... but switch to G12, VW's OEM coolant. Just do it lol. New coolant hoses, T-Stat and a coolant resevoir depending on how nasty it looks. I say this because to change the water pump you have to open up the cooling system so it would be the perfect time to do it.

For more info on this or other maintenance jobs Dan J Reed's legendary page of all things about taking care of your new Dub will help you out a lot.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...tech/index.htm

Timing belt + water pump

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...belt/index.htm

Vehicles
      '95 Golf MK3 2.0 8v
      03-27-2015 07:45 PM #20
      Water pump is a completely different job than the timing belt on the mk3 2.0 engine, so there's no need to replace the water pump "while you're down there" replacing the timing belt. The only similarity between changing the timing belt and the water pump is that both replacements require that the serpentine belt be removed. Other than that it's a completely different job. On a 2.0 in the new beetle the water pump is driven by the timing belt, so it would make sense to replace the water pump while you're down there replacing the timing belt, but this is not that case with the MK3 2.0 8v engine.

Vehicles
      97 GLS
      03-27-2015 07:54 PM #21
      Oops yes you are correct. Completely forgot about that. I will keep my post as it stands though. For science..

Vehicles
      '95 Golf MK3 2.0 8v
      03-27-2015 08:01 PM #22
      FWIW I've skipped a tooth on a timing belt and I've also had a timing belt break while a MK3 2.0 8v engine was idling without any valve damage. Both incidents were captured on video too BTW. I have also seen other 2.0's with valve damage as a result of a broken timing belt though. It's just not worth it to risk it. It only takes a few minutes to remove the top timing belt cover and inspect the belt.

23. 03-28-2015 12:00 PM #23
      FWIW I've skipped a tooth on a timing belt and I've also had a timing belt break while a MK3 2.0 8v engine was idling without any valve damage. Both incidents were captured on video too BTW. I have also seen other 2.0's with valve damage as a result of a broken timing belt though. It's just not worth it to risk it. It only takes a few minutes to remove the top timing belt cover and inspect the belt.
      Okay so my mechanic said that the timing belt is in good shape but not perfect & that he would have to change the water pump & all that good stuff. So that being said I'm putting this bad girl in the garage for a while. He had a Civic at his shop that the timing belt busted while the car was in motion & had major valve damage.

Vehicles
      MK3 Golf Variant
      03-28-2015 12:16 PM #24
      Nice Vento.
      Current daily - 1998 MK3 Volkswagen Golf Variant
      Instagram - Follow me!

25. 03-28-2015 12:21 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
      Nice Vento.
      Thank you I wish it would've had the door moulding

Vehicles
      MK3 Golf Variant
      03-28-2015 12:46 PM #26
      Thank you I wish it would've had the door moulding
      I'm sure they're easy to find. If you're going for the rat look with it, don't bother getting them.
      Current daily - 1998 MK3 Volkswagen Golf Variant
      Instagram - Follow me!

27. 03-28-2015 01:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
      I'm sure they're easy to find. If you're going for the rat look with it, don't bother getting them.
      Yeah. When I was talking to the previous owner about the car he said he had them but when I showed up to buy the car he told me his wife threw them away

Vehicles
      97 GLS
      03-28-2015 05:16 PM #28
      You might be able to find some door moldings on the classifieds here, among plenty other cool things you may want or need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...etta-III-Parts

And that's good you are getting the job done! When you get her back that will be one less (huge) thing to worry about. What about oil changes or fuel filter?

Also if it helps the PO of my Jetta decided not to have all the mouldings on the car, and the ones that are have been screwed into the body

Needless to say I personally will be collecting body parts for paint to get rid of all that crap.

29. 03-28-2015 06:04 PM #29
      You might be able to find some door moldings on the classifieds here, among plenty other cool things you may want or need.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...etta-III-Parts

And that's good you are getting the job done! When you get her back that will be one less (huge) thing to worry about. What about oil changes or fuel filter?
      I gotta change that too just to be on the safe side.
      Does the Golf door moulding fit on the Jetta?

Vehicles
      98 Mk3 GTI(L132), 2011 Mk6 GTI(LA9W)
      Yesterday 11:58 AM #30
      congrats, good start and welcome to the boards!!!
      (O8o)=====ABT==(o8O)

31. Yesterday 12:21 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 2pointSLO View Post
      congrats, good start and welcome to the boards!!!
      Thank you

32. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2000' Volkswagen Cabrio MK3.5
      Yesterday 12:29 PM #32
      Absolutely love vw. I started with a mk1 rabbit truck and went on to mk3 jetta then mk3 gti then fell in love with my mk3 cabrio and been driving her for two years and just recently finish building my mk3.5 cabrio.

33. Yesterday 12:50 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by PassionVW View Post
      Absolutely love vw. I started with a mk1 rabbit truck and went on to mk3 jetta then mk3 gti then fell in love with my mk3 cabrio and been driving her for two years and just recently finish building my mk3.5 cabrio.

Really nice Cabrio!!! I love VW & I come from a Honda & Mustang family. They don't understand...

34. Yesterday 12:51 PM #34
      Raleigh
      I'm in Charlotte

35. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2000' Volkswagen Cabrio MK3.5
      Yesterday 12:54 PM #35
      Really nice Cabrio!!! I love VW & I come from a Honda & Mustang family. They don't understand...
      Yeah same here my brothers had Hondas and camaros and i stayed German.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast