Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1970 C10: An unintended project

1. 03-25-2015 01:49 PM #1
      I lied to you all, TCL, I said that I wouldn’t start any more project threads but I couldn’t help myself. Several months back I outlined the purchase of several old trucks that I wasn't sure what I would do with. As it turns out, I couldn't resist the opportunity to dismantle a vehicle and have since started working on this ’70 C10. For the past 3-4 weeks I've dug further and further into it, and wanted to share my progress. Instead of spending my evenings and weekends finishing my bug that I also have completely stripped, I thought it would be wise to further stretch my time and tear into this. I honestly did not have intentions in letting things get this far, when I got the truck it needed work on the brakes, carb and a gas tank to be a driver. I had planned on getting those in order and either flipping it or giving it to my brother, but as things often do in my garage, the project quickly got out of hand.

This truck suffers from everything that every other 67-72 C10 does. It has rotted cab corners, rockers and floor pans. The bed and doors are surprisingly solid though, which is a major bonus for me. Every time I touched something I kept telling myself “while I’m in here I should just fix this…” and the pictures below are where it left me.

As you can see, I have now turned a weekend project into something much more. The frame has been stripped bare and sand blasted, and the body has been put on carts so that I can begin panel replacement. Orders have been placed with rockauto for brake and suspension parts and other orders have been placed with fixmyrust for repair panels.

The truck will probably be kind of a "resto-mod" in that I want it to appear mostly factory but lowered on some sort of aftermarket wheel. Though I'm still not 100% sold on whether I want to put vinyl trim on it, or if I want to keep the 71-72 front end. I've also got to decide on a color when it comes time, if I go with trim I will probably do a two tone with white in the center, but outside of that I'm all ears for suggestions. I will try to keep this thread updated with pictures as I go, but you can also feel free to peruse my project blog that I have linked in my signature, which will probably have more pictures and in depth coverage of what I’m doing (mods if external links to blogs are not permitted in my signature please let me know).

Stay tuned to see if I finish this one

03-25-2015 01:55 PM #2
      I hate you.

I say that purely out of jealousy and the desire to do my own C10 restomod, but still.

Good luck with the project and don't bitch out on us and abandon this thread.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Buy my wife's old laptop!

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      03-25-2015 02:02 PM #3
      in!
      Instagram: @clink_clank_clunk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Passat, 04 F150, 04 Expedition
      03-25-2015 02:06 PM #4
      This really has me wanting to pick up a family friends 78 C20 with 350 SBC that is just sitting in her driveway. 77k on it and the body is in perfect condition. The paint is even pretty good just needs a solid buffing and it would probably shine. This is an all original truck too, no restoration was done. I was going to buy it a couple years back but after driving it up not even a mile down the road and watching the gas gauge go down, I passed on it.
      Quote Originally Posted by spitfirevr6 View Post
      I don't know what to think anymore after nemo played with my emotions.

Vehicles
      04.5 Redemption GLI
      03-25-2015 02:08 PM #5
      I builds

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      03-25-2015 02:09 PM #6
      71-72 front grille/bumper swap?

7. 03-25-2015 02:28 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      71-72 front grille/bumper swap?
      Yup. The PO swapped it to 5 lug and put that front end on it. The core support and front fenders are the same for both though, so it will be easy for me to go either direction. I like both 69-70 and 71-72 front ends, and that's the toss up for me. Leave it be or go for original. I'm leaning more towards leaving it with the 71-72 front end though for money saving reasons alone, the front bumper and grille are in great shape. I'm sure someone would pay me a few bucks for them, but it'd still be a lot cheaper to not replace them. Have you priced out a 69-70 grille surround and innards?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-25-2015 02:48 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by smgs92 View Post
      This really has me wanting to pick up a family friends 78 C20 with 350 SBC that is just sitting in her driveway. 77k on it and the body is in perfect condition. The paint is even pretty good just needs a solid buffing and it would probably shine. This is an all original truck too, no restoration was done. I was going to buy it a couple years back but after driving it up not even a mile down the road and watching the gas gauge go down, I passed on it.
      As some members have shown an interest in this truck, here is a pic of it taken today.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Nissan Xterra
      03-25-2015 02:59 PM #9
      Love the truck. Nigh on impossible to get one of those around here that hasn't been claimed by rust.

Can you promise me you wont get torque thrust wheels though.

Vehicles
      1965 Volvo 122S, 1994 Buick Roadmaster
      03-25-2015 03:03 PM #10
      Love it! In for more!

And there's nothing wrong with getting deep into a project. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      03-25-2015 03:14 PM #11
      I Chevy truck builds.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      03-25-2015 03:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by IntrstlarOvrdrve View Post
      Yup. The PO swapped it to 5 lug and put that front end on it. The core support and front fenders are the same for both though, so it will be easy for me to go either direction. I like both 69-70 and 71-72 front ends, and that's the toss up for me. Leave it be or go for original. I'm leaning more towards leaving it with the 71-72 front end though for money saving reasons alone, the front bumper and grille are in great shape. I'm sure someone would pay me a few bucks for them, but it'd still be a lot cheaper to not replace them. Have you priced out a 69-70 grille surround and innards?
      My 69 Suburban actually needs a new grille, but LMC's costs too much and I don't care enough to source one another way. The 69 and 70 grilles are also slightly different too.

The stance on your truck when it was together looks great

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Cobra
      03-25-2015 03:21 PM #13
      <3 C10's. A 70 Short bed is like my dream truck.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

14. 03-25-2015 03:41 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 08-Jetta View Post
      Love the truck. Nigh on impossible to get one of those around here that hasn't been claimed by rust.

Can you promise me you wont get torque thrust wheels though.
      I can't promise and I won't promise.

I personally really like torq thrust II's. I know they're played, but so are C10's.

Quote Originally Posted by tehAndy View Post
      Love it! In for more!

And there's nothing wrong with getting deep into a project. Do it right or don't do it at all.
      There isn't anything wrong until you do it to multiple vehicles at once, and do it over and over again. Ah well, I love to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      My 69 Suburban actually needs a new grille, but LMC's costs too much and I don't care enough to source one another way. The 69 and 70 grilles are also slightly different too.

The stance on your truck when it was together looks great
      I knew there was a slight difference in a 69 and 70 grille, I just don't know what it is. The best I can tell all of the reproductions are the same though. But like I said, unless something falls in my lap I'm probably going to stick with the 71-72 front end. That surround is pricey, especially if it's stamped Chevrolet!

The truck was already lowered with drop spindles and springs up front and springs with blocks out back. I'll be leaving it alone, I would personally like it a tad lower but what I got now was included in the price of the truck.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      03-25-2015 03:44 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      I Chevy truck builds.
      Ditto.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      '06 xB, '97 Odyssey, '84 C10
      03-25-2015 04:01 PM #16
      Awwww yeah. In for updates, and for inspiration for my '84.
      Quote Originally Posted by Gitcha Sum View Post
      Don't quit now. All it takes is one bolt a day and it's still becoming something.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

17. Member
      03-25-2015 04:33 PM #17
      Are you local. I wouldn't mind that truck.

As some members have shown an interest in this truck, here is a pic of it taken today.

Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

18. Member
      Vehicles
      03-25-2015 06:27 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
      Are you local. I wouldn't mind that truck.
      If you are near Cincinnati I can introduce you to the owner. However I'm still tempted to buy it for myself

It is all original after all

Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby, etc
      03-25-2015 09:18 PM #19
      Awesome build. What are the details for where you are going with it?

I have a 79 dually 454 here same paint scheme as that 78, and similar condition ( all original, unmodified). But while in great condition not as good. I on it a couple years ago but got back into VWs. I have some decent heads for it, street dominator intake, nice double pumper. Started the body work too. Plan was to freshen up the 454 with higher compression and mentioned parts and decent cam, repaint to original scheme, keep the nice original interior, dropped on Alcoa's which I also have. But too many projects at the moment and only one of me lol

20. 03-25-2015 10:01 PM #20
      SOO damn lucky! that thing would pull 7000$ around here easily. Love C10s

21. 03-26-2015 01:17 AM #21

I would transplant a more modern drive train (overdrive automatic with lock-up torque converter and roller-cam V8...early 90's to current) and more or less be done modding. TBI 350's are not an arm-chair favorite around here but can get impressive fuel economy and be quite driveable and reliable. The newer stuff is much better on power delivery.

Lowering is optional depending on intended use. Air ride would be sweet as these old trucks didn't exactly ride like luxury cars.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-26-2015 01:26 AM #22
      If I were to pick it up I'd leave it stock just for the fact that it's all original and everything on it works fine. I'm not too concerned about the MPG anymore since i have other vehicles and it would not be DD. Just something to go have a nice cruise on the weekends in. The suspension in it is surprising comfortable given its age.
      I'd buff it and try to get the paint in as nice of shape as I can, new tires and a tune up and call it done.

Vehicles
      1960 Euro Bug, 1992 Golf VR6, 82 Caddy Diesel, 87 Cabby, etc
      03-26-2015 08:45 AM #23
      If I were to pick it up I'd leave it stock just for the fact that it's all original and everything on it works fine. I'm not too concerned about the MPG anymore since i have other vehicles and it would not be DD. Just something to go have a nice cruise on the weekends in. The suspension in it is surprising comfortable given its age.
      I'd buff it and try to get the paint in as nice of shape as I can, new tires and a tune up and call it done.
      Same here.. If a project costs me 8 dollars in gas to go to and from the closest store, not that big a deal since I also have plenty of daily's..

Heres the 78's big brother.. So many things the same it trips me out.. Same colors, same running boards, same mirrors..

24. 03-26-2015 11:09 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by BoostedOne View Post
      Awesome build. What are the details for where you are going with it?
      I don't really have any solid plans. I want something that sounds pretty rowdy but looks pretty stock other than a drop and some wheels. Interior will be black and stock. When I bought it the truck had a late model bench seat in it, which I've already traded for a factory bench seat from a '70 model. Other than that, I really don't have any set in stone plans, just kind of go with the flow and see what happens. I'm actually moving pretty fast on it, hoping to have the body ready for paint within the next month so I need to start thinking about colors.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon 6MT
      03-26-2015 12:17 PM #25
      I'm not sure if I have the generation right, but I think this is the generation that has nearly endless suspension options for it. You might actually be able to make this thing handle well!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast