The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 hours with the Wrangler Unlimited Superleggera*

Vehicles
      '07 335i, '12 Caravan, JK... JK! it's a JKU
      03-31-2015 06:53 PM #1

**ok, only about 3 hours so far in Superleggera configuration***

***I made that up, there's no Wrangler Unlimited Superleggera

In short, I love it! It's everything I wanted in a vehicle right now. Not sporty in any way (although 280hp, RWD, 6-speed, LSD sounds pretty good on paper, no?), but still kinda fun to hustle around sometimes. My baby rock chip/crack from the fall has traveled about 60% of the windshield, but that's not the Jeep's fault. Fuel economy is lame in absolute terms, but ~17.5 MPG isn't too bad for a jeep, and I expect that to go up with my new commute and warmer weather.

Still don't really have any planned mods right now, as I haven't really done any serious work off road. Side mirrors are on order for when she's doorless. I'd like to upgrade the head unit at some point since I went ahead and installed the kicker "stage 3" (lulz) speakers and they seem to be severely under-driven with the base stereo. I've never heard a stereo with slower bass, I'm almost wondering if the stereo is doing some kind of behind the scenes DSP to make it sound like that, it's really weird. I'm hoping some more wattage will be a quick fix, as I don't need awesome quality when my car is a glorified PA system.

Kiddo loves it, wife likes it, I like it. As I said when I bought the thing; I understand why wrangler people tend to keep one in the stable. I'm sure a day will come along when there's a new fast car that will vie for its garage space (M2? GT350?) but that's a ways off.

One thing that I didn't consider was that I'll have to put the whole thing back together when I want to wash the car. Not a huge deal, but not the kind of thing that's obvious to the uninitiated.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      '00 ES300, '03 GLI, '05 S2000
      03-31-2015 07:08 PM #2
      Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. You're welcome.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-31-2015 07:14 PM #3
      Why not go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      '15 Silverado LT, '14 Sierra All Terrain
      03-31-2015 07:19 PM #4
      Cool stuff OP, I get all lusty for a Wrangler now and again
      "Make it look like something."

03-31-2015 07:59 PM #5

Picked up a 2015 JKU for my wife, our first experience with any Jeep, and now I want a 2-dr myself They're fun, haven't had a chance to take the top off yet though.

Vehicles
      03-31-2015 10:32 PM #6
      Top off is much like any convertible, which is to say awesome.

Doors off and it feels like a street legal golf cart, in all the best ways possible. I'll probably leave it like this for most of the year, and only put them back on when it gets (texas) cold outside.
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      03-31-2015 11:46 PM #7
      Not sure about Texas law, but around here you would get pulled over for not having a rearview mirror mounted on the exterior. But of course I can't see the drivers side so you may have one mounted...if not, probably should.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      04-01-2015 01:48 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Not sure about Texas law, but around here you would get pulled over for not having a rearview mirror mounted on the exterior. But of course I can't see the drivers side so you may have one mounted...if not, probably should.
      I've read stories where people interpret it being kosher to just have the rear view, but I've still got the hinge mirrors coming via prime. I feel blind w/o any side mirrors.
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      04-01-2015 02:55 AM #9
      I would kill to get 17.5 in mine. Mind you it spends half its life in 4 low
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      2016 BMW 340i M Sport
      04-01-2015 06:30 AM #10
      Texas law only requires a rear view with 20' of rearward visibility. Nothing beats driving around doorless and topless, but I do need to order some hinge mirrors for mine.

http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2016 Melbourne Red BMW 340i MSport w/ Track Package

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-01-2015 07:49 AM #11
      Welcome to the club!

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      04-01-2015 09:27 AM #12
      As the past owner of a very early CJ-7 (it was a barely-street-legal turd) I can say with conviction that there is nothing quite like driving/riding in a vehicle with one foot hanging out the door.
      New Fun Old Car Stuff Happening Soon.

Vehicles
      2008 Outback 5spd
      04-01-2015 09:41 AM #13
      Jelly.

Always have wanted a Wrangler.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      I cannot begin to imagine the amount of gas that has gone through both the engine and those seats.

Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-01-2015 09:53 AM #14
      Looks great, I miss mine

Vehicles
      '14 JKU Sahara, '93 Porsche 911 RSA, '92 LS2 Miata
      04-01-2015 10:28 AM #15
      I have the clone of this one, but with the hardtop. Doors off/hardtop is an awesome way to roll in TX right now. No sun on my receding hairline, but lots of wind.

It turns a run to Home Depot to a fun family experience. The wife and kids are in love with it.

[edit] I even have the rock chip crack. Pro tip . . . you can "guide" the crack down to the edge of the windshield so it doesn't block your field of vision and grow. I have a nice little loop-de-loop by the sunglasses holder on the dash.
      Last edited by uberR32; 04-01-2015 at 10:34 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Wow. Its like a bicep with six-pack abs made entirely of fists.

Vehicles
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      04-01-2015 10:44 AM #16
      sometimes i miss my JKU sahara, it was fun for the year and a half I owned it. Super sketchy on the highway though, especially in the rain. I bought it from the dealership with 35s and a 3" lift and it never felt safe (it was new, but the dealership installed all the parts as part of their "off road" department) even after they tried fixing it numerous times.

some day i'll own another but not as a DD.

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler, 2011 Grand Cherokee
      04-01-2015 11:09 AM #17
      OP, I have a little easier way for you to handle the mirror situation, if you are ok with spending a little more cash.

I have moved my driver's side mirror to the windshield bolts, and blanked the hole left in the driver's door. With this set up, I just leave the mirror on the windshield bolts, and since the door doesn't have a mirror on it, I can take on and off easier, without having to add a mirror every time. You need the below parts:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13125_5000.htm

It gives you the parts to also move the passenger mirror, but I didn't use that, and just go with the driver's side mirror when I'm doorless. No reason to mess with the passenger side if you don't have to.

Also, welcome to the Anvil club. Any chance I get to whore my Jeep I'm going to:

Current:
      2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Past:
      1990 Mazda Miata, 1998 Land Rover Discovery, 1994 Chevrolet Lumina, 2002 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2, 2013 VW GLI, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter, 2010 Audi A4 P+ (Hers)
      04-01-2015 12:21 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt View Post
      I've read stories where people interpret it being kosher to just have the rear view, but I've still got the hinge mirrors coming via prime. I feel blind w/o any side mirrors.
      It's all in the language of the laws of your state, and the language on your window sticker.

My TJ's window sticker didn't have doors or mirrors as standard equipment, they were listed as an added option, so no need for doors and mirrors in any state. That was a convenient distinction in a state like Maine where they are strangely strict on Jeeps come inspection time vs in Massachusetts where inspection laws don't seem to matter when getting a sticker on your Jeep.

What does your JK say on it's sticker and build sheet, and what do the laws in your state say about mirrors?
      VAG COM services available, send a PM | Join the VWVortex Folding@Home team... save the world | Current Rides: 2010 S4 Prestige, 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter | Old Rides: 1999 TJ 4.0 Sport, 2001.5 A4 1.8TQMS GTRS, 1997 TJ 4.0 Sport, 1990 Corrado g60 StageIV | Lounging in a field with 726 sweater cows

19. 04-01-2015 12:31 PM #19
      So you guys coming from sports sedans and what not. How do you like driving Wranglers on the road?

Vehicles
      04-01-2015 12:41 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      So you guys coming from sports sedans and what not. How do you like driving Wranglers on the road?
      I infamously sold my 911 turbo to get the wrangler. To me it's just more fun on the street. I get a bigger smile on my face while not worrying about coming off as a dbag/breaking the law. It's such a different experience that it's difficult to draw parallels. It makes my 335i feel faster, stiffer, more sporty whereas the 911 made it feel floaty and slow. The JKU, with it's longer wheelbase, stock suspension, and relatively mild tire setup (I run 33" Duratracs) is pretty docile on the road. Lots of roll, but the steering and braking feels pretty much like any non-sporty road car to me. the 6 speed with the 3.73s gets it off the line with enough shove that it never feels underpowered.

I drove a TJ when I was first looking, and for whatever reason that was a far less enjoyable experience. I was afraid I wouldn't ever be happy in a wrangler. The JK/JKU changed that for me; but I can't speak to the condition of the older jeeps I drove. just FYI.
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      '14 JKU Sahara, '93 Porsche 911 RSA, '92 LS2 Miata
      04-01-2015 01:08 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      I cant get rid of a sports car. Its a different experience than a sports car . . . in a good way though.

For example, my wife called me up crying last week because she was trying to be sweet and pull the jeep into the garage so it wouldn't get rained on with the doors off. She hit the garage. There were zero fks given.
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Wow. Its like a bicep with six-pack abs made entirely of fists.

Vehicles
      '16 F150 XLT, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      04-01-2015 03:46 PM #22
      This thread makes me miss my TJ Rubicon. Topless and doorless was the way to roll here in TX, no doubt.

Vehicles
      04-01-2015 05:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      How does the top work w/o the scaffolding stuff that goes between the door and top/side windows/etc? my JKU soft top is also like 50% longer, so I'm not sure how applicable it would be but I'm curious. I don't like the look of it on my jeep with the doors off, but it's kind of a PITA to install/remove and I already feel like I'm playing with Mopar legos with this thing.
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler, 2011 Grand Cherokee
      04-03-2015 10:49 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt View Post
      How does the top work w/o the scaffolding stuff that goes between the door and top/side windows/etc? my JKU soft top is also like 50% longer, so I'm not sure how applicable it would be but I'm curious. I don't like the look of it on my jeep with the doors off, but it's kind of a PITA to install/remove and I already feel like I'm playing with Mopar legos with this thing.

The top doesn't work unless those are on there. I assume you're talking about the plastic door frame things. I only take them off when I have the top and doors off. They're really easy to remove, just two hand screws on top of the part by the roll bar. I'm not familiar with the 4 door top, but I assume it'd be similar. Honestly, there is no reason to remove them other than cosmetics with the top off, but I think it looks better without them. Really finishes the doorless look.
      Current:
      2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Past:
      1990 Mazda Miata, 1998 Land Rover Discovery, 1994 Chevrolet Lumina, 2002 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2, 2013 VW GLI, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

Vehicles
      '13 392, '90 Miata
      04-03-2015 10:53 AM #25
      Jeeps and V8s. This is a good week for TCL.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast