VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 hours with the Wrangler Unlimited Superleggera*

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon
      04-14-2015 09:54 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt View Post
      How does the top work w/o the scaffolding stuff that goes between the door and top/side windows/etc? my JKU soft top is also like 50% longer, so I'm not sure how applicable it would be but I'm curious. I don't like the look of it on my jeep with the doors off, but it's kind of a PITA to install/remove and I already feel like I'm playing with Mopar legos with this thing.
      I've had the plastic top rails off a few times in"Superleggera" mode. Like Shimps1 said the top is useless without the rails and will not reinstall unless they are on. There are 2 knobs on each side above the A pillar and B pillar. Unscrew them and pop the plastic rails off from the bedrail and roll bar for the top of each. the rears fold in half and can be stowed under the seat or tossed in the garage. When you have the rails off I would check the adhesive backed foam to make sure it is in good condition and replace with a new foam kit from the dealer or similar materials from a hardware store.

With those rails off you might as well pull the top too, which is going to be 2 13or14mm screws on a bracket mounted to the rear roll bar near the seatbelt mounts. This might be a 2 person job to lift off and reinstall.

Vehicles
      2013 135is,2013 TSX, 2014 JKU Willys, 2005 Key West 186CC
      04-14-2015 10:45 AM #27
      Nice! Another JKU guy checking in here

Vehicles
      2013 XC60, 2015 Transit Connect
      04-14-2015 08:51 PM #28
      How has reliability been for you guys on these? Got a hankering for one myself.

Vehicles
      '07 335i, '12 Caravan, JK... JK! it's a JKU
      04-14-2015 11:06 PM #29
      Well, I have < 3000 miles on mine, but it's been flawless! That's how all the german car owners brag right?

With those rails off you might as well pull the top too, which is going to be 2 13or14mm screws on a bracket mounted to the rear roll bar near the seatbelt mounts. This might be a 2 person job to lift off and reinstall.
      I like the idea of being able to throw up the top if I get caught out. It's not like it'll provide a whole lot of protection w/ the doors off, but it's better than nothing!
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      92 Corrado Satin, 13 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 13 Golf R
      04-15-2015 12:53 AM #30
      Always wanted a Wrangler. Yesterday was the two year anniversary of my purchase of New 13 JKU Sahara 6speed. It ha 37k miles. I have had tons of issues with mine, but still love it. Its not a fun highway cruiser, but local is fun. Even with all th issues, I probably buy another one. Nobody else makes anything like it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-15-2015 07:45 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by NSpooner View Post
      How has reliability been for you guys on these? Got a hankering for one myself.
      I have a 2012 JKU.

No major mechanical problems or minor issues in 2 years.

The few recalls have all been at Chrysler's expense. My dealership has free shuttle service to and from the dealership, so no major inconvenience associated with dropping the Jeep off for repairs.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      04-15-2015 07:56 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by MYVOLKIES View Post
      Always wanted a Wrangler. Yesterday was the two year anniversary of my purchase of New 13 JKU Sahara 6speed. It ha 37k miles. I have had tons of issues with mine, but still love it. Its not a fun highway cruiser, but local is fun. Even with all th issues, I probably buy another one. Nobody else makes anything like it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
      In other recent Wrangler/Jeep threads, other people claim that the Wrangler is not suitable for daily driving or not fun on the highway.

I am just curious what people like yourself dislike about its highway performance and ride, to consider it unfit for daily duty or highway driving.

My current JKU is a hardtop, after owning two previous JKUs with soft tops, and two YJs with soft top/hardtop combos.
      The longer wheelbase of the JKU + hardtop really do transform the Wrangler into a much nicer drive experience.
      It is quieter and more stable in crosswinds. Putting all 4 side windows down at highway speeds does not feel like you're dragging an open parachute behind you vs. the trying the same in the soft top.
      Ride and handling are on par for traditional SUVs. There are certainly better performing sedans and CUVs, but I consider the Wrangler's "unique" ride and handling as part of the experience.

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon
      04-15-2015 08:17 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by MYVOLKIES View Post
      I have had tons of issues with mine, but still love it.
      Any info on your issues?

I just crossed the 2year and 36000mi mark on my '13 Unlimited Rubicon and have been mostly trouble free.

Only issues I've had are (knock on wood)
      -Squeaky waterpump - resolved after trips to 2 different dealers
      -Persistent leak on front passenger area of soft top - need to replace the foam on the corner and door seals, carpet was pulled when the leak started and I have no intention of reinstalling anytime soon
      -Noisy trans and throw-out bearing - just a little noise when parked, no signs of impending doom
      -Rear window zipper tore away from top - zipper replaced by dealer
      -Excessive front tire wear - could be from an alignment issue or more likely pressure and lack of rotation
      -ESP light comes on at random and clears itself after a few starts
      -UConnect bluetooth has a mind of its own and is useless at highway speeds due to background noise

This spring and summer I am finally getting to throw a 2.5in lift and 35s on and hit the trails, I can't wait to finally see what this Jeep can do and use it for the designed purpose.

My take on the highway performance is that it's all gearing and tire dependent. I have 4.10s and a set of worn BFG MTs and the NVH feels like a cement truck while my brother in law has a hardtop 2014 with 3.73s and GY Wrangler SR-As and it's a much more comfortable and quiet highway drive. For my commute I keep speeds right around 65mph to keep the noise down and mpg at a decent number. If I try speeds higher the chopped/cupped tires, soft top, and short gears make it an exercise of just how much noise and vibration I am willing to take before I slow down.
      I will cede that the solid axles on both ends can make handling a little scary in some situations. Expansion joints on wet offramps can catch you off guard and make you think that the front and rear axles are taking the truck in different directions. One whiteknuckle instance was when I hit a pothole on a sweeping highway corner. I was doing my normal 65mph and the inside wheel hit a deep pothole and it felt like the whole truck was going to pivot along that front left wheel and send me into a spin or rollover.I've learned to avoid certain road hazards and conditions, you can really learn how to adjust to the handling characteristics and avoid situations that can be pretty scary.
      Last edited by CoolWhiteWolfsburg; 04-15-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Vehicles
      I think its 7 now
      04-15-2015 08:30 AM #34
      To anyone who has not at least driven one because they are not fast enough.

Wranglers are one of those vehicles that makes you feel like a kid. They really can go just about anywhere, with the doors off and the roof down you can almost get your motorcycle fix too.
      One of my favorite times was leaving the job and taking the top down and driving home in my dress clothes.

The two reasons why I sold my 04 TJ was 1> Mileage sucked hard. I got 14mpg best with 3:73 and 33's
      2> The body is not undercoated and all the seams started to corrode. Even the lengthy time it spent siting in the driveway on concrete because of reason #1 it just rusted.

I plan to get another one sometime soon though. Might be another TJ, or might be a JK. The JK has not grown on my enough yet though.
      Cry once....

Vehicles
      2016 BMW 340i M Sport
      04-15-2015 10:05 AM #35
      2 years and 20k miles on mine and the only troubles I have had is I had to replace a $2.99 left rear turn signal bulb yesterday. I feel like a kid every time I drive this thing! Way more rewarding than any other car I've ever owned.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary by zerind, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by CoolWhiteWolfsburg View Post
      Any info on your issues?

I just crossed the 2year and 36000mi mark on my '13 Unlimited Rubicon and have been mostly trouble free.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2016 Melbourne Red BMW 340i MSport w/ Track Package

11. 04-15-2015 10:20 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      So you guys coming from sports sedans and what not. How do you like driving Wranglers on the road?
      while caution must be taken like with any driving, you can push a wrangler to 9-10/10ths and still be at the legal speed limit In that sense they can actually be a lot of fun. My commute is kind of boring in a car unless you are doing double the speed limit in some places. In the Wrangler I giggle the whole way.

Mine (tj) is terrible on the highway but that is for the most part my doing, some of which is being remedied.

Just traded my soft top for a hard top (tis the season for deals), I'm a pale redhead so I rarely drove with the top off anyway. Now t find some full doors

12. 04-15-2015 11:54 AM #37
      Nice looking jeep OP. I didn't like jeeps that much until I found out they come in manual and now I like them even more with the new engine. Much more when there's a local guy near me that is tuning the ECU and sending you home putting down 210-220hp at the wheels.

13. 02-16-2017 04:45 PM #38
      8500 mile bump/thread resurrection!

Took the jeep in because I was smelling some coolant after pulling the car into the garage. Turns out one of the timing cover coolant passages had a leak (dealer hasn't told me where exactly just said "it was the timing cover," so I extrapolated and looking at the cover pics online there aren't too many choices). The jeep is still under B2B so the warranty repair was painless, but good god do the FCA dealers in my area suck, or at least the one that's on the way to my office.

Otherwise the jeep has done everything we've asked it to do... which is pretty much look good and drive around when the weather is nice!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      02-16-2017 05:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Why not go all the way.

That's not all the way. This is almost all the way:

15. 02-17-2017 12:32 PM #40
      So after hanging out at the dealer for about 75 mins after they dropped me off, I got the jeep back. Fixed and washed, and despite turning down the $75 (lol) oil change initially from the dealer because they "don't do" conventional oil changes anymore, I got one anyway!

Work order for anyone interested:

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler
      02-17-2017 01:21 PM #41
      I'm coming up on year 3 with mine and it's been rock solid. Change the oil, put gas in it and drive.
      °.lllllll.°

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      02-18-2017 12:45 AM #42
      I traded my 2012 Golf R which I hated in nearly every way possible for a new 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.

I have loved every moment I have driven the Wrangler these past 3 years.

18 mpg is typical, but I have seen 24-25 mpg on long trips on the interstate.

(As an aside, I still have my 2008 R32 which I thoroughly love, as well).

02-18-2017 03:10 AM #43
      Get some half doors, especially if you are driving around with a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12