Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How do I set up this shot (MK2, skateboarder, night time)?

Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI 6M
      04-07-2015 12:21 PM #1
      I was asked to photograph a car and I have an idea but unsure what I need to do to produce what my mind's eye is seeing. I also don't know if it would be too cluttered of a picture.

The main focus is the car. I want to have a shot at night in front of this bar: (the only thing that would be in the background would be the neon lights, the other items aren't there).

And in the foreground I would have a skateboarder do a kickflip. Now, this would be a long exposure so that he is in motion and blurred.

I have flashes, and a tripod. But, I'm guessing I would need to do multiple exposures?
      VW owners, the only people that pay $1500 for OEM rims.

2. Member
      04-07-2015 08:32 PM #2
      I would assume that you could get this in one shot with proper lighting and 2nd curtain sync. Not sure how many flashes/speedlights you have, but would probably take some back lighting to separate car from the background, and good key & fill lighting for the car and the skater. 2nd curtain sync on the flash dedicated to the skater will get him at the end of the exposure (presumably mid-kick-flip).

Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI 6M
      04-08-2015 07:47 AM #3
      So I went out tonight to just mess around. I was having difficulty with my remote trigger and also I've never done this type of photography before. This was from many flash exposures and this was a very quick edit (still learning). But, this is basically what I want to do sans skateboarder and the subject car.

snappers2-1 by crxgator, on Flickr
      VW owners, the only people that pay $1500 for OEM rims.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      04-08-2015 04:10 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tbs_east View Post
      I would assume that you could get this in one shot with proper lighting and 2nd curtain sync. Not sure how many flashes/speedlights you have, but would probably take some back lighting to separate car from the background, and good key & fill lighting for the car and the skater. 2nd curtain sync on the flash dedicated to the skater will get him at the end of the exposure (presumably mid-kick-flip).
      Yup, 2nd curtain. It'll take some time to get the timing right. But that will give you the motion blur, but also stop the motion enough to get focus on the skater.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.