Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Migraines and/or lost peripheral vision from horizontal blinds (sunny day) - Anyone Else?

Vehicles
      '12 Chevy Cruze ECO
      05-18-2015 10:19 PM #1
      Hi,

I've been lurking here a bit and though of this forum for something I've noticed recently.

I have noticed that I get vision issues from (usually) being inside a room with horizontal blinds on a sunny day. Even more-so if I'm paying attention to someone/something between myself and the window.

Often the issue starts as a simple distraction, then progresses into loosing peripheral vision within a few minutes. On occasion I'll get a nasty migraine and have to sleep in a dark quiet place for a couple of hours to relieve it.

Just curious if anyone else has ever noticed this, and should I be concerned?

A Google search gets me a couple of similar stories, but no good info.

Thanks in advance!
      I Like to Buy Bins of Loose LEGO's - PM Me if you have some you don't want.

For Sale / Trade: - VW Mk1 & Mk2, 8v Engine and Misc. trim parts:

2. Member
      05-19-2015 08:26 PM #2
      It's called a migraine with aura or ocular migraine or scintillating scotoma.

I've gotten them twice in my life. Both times, the peripheral vision in my left eye would start to scintillate and this would last around 30 minutes before it would move to the right. Also, light sources in my peripheral vision would appear to be from the opposite eye. For example, a porch light that I could only see out of my right eye would show up in my left eye. Luckily for me, they didn't progress into a painful migraine. It sounds like yours do.

Last edited by pops; 05-20-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      05-20-2015 02:45 PM #3
      I get them when I don't drink enough water, or if I'm particular stuffed from allergies.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rub-ISH View Post
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
      06-18-2015 08:07 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by damion16v View Post
      I get them when I don't drink enough water, or if I'm particular stuffed from allergies.
      I get similar migraines to the OP, and usually when I think about it, I realize that I haven't peed in 12 hours and I've only had coffee to drink for the last 2 days.

I also work around welding and heat treating processes everyday, and I think that when I'm around an arc too much (no I'm not staring at it, just in peripheral vision) it'll kick off a migraine, especially if I'm already dehydrated.

I generally try to drink as much water and Gatorade as I can, otherwise it progresses into a wicked head pounder.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      06-18-2015 11:40 AM #5
      Especially this time of year, I'm going through a gallon of water, easily. I don't know how the weather is down in Raleigh but from what my wife tells me it can get easily worse than up here and that only exacerbates the problem.

At night I work at a t-shirt press and it's a constant flux of heat from the presses, humidity and AC, which can trigger it. I couldn't imagine having the added visual assualt of an arc.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rub-ISH View Post
      I am now sucessfully motivated to get TED KENEDY levels of Sh!thoused and antagonize the antagonists...kudos

6. Member
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8Tm
      06-30-2015 12:19 PM #6
      Being dehydrated in conjunction with exposure to any level of glare (from other vehicles) for long drives (> 3Hrs) are the migraine triggers here. Occasional mild dehydration comes with living here, so I try to avoid all glare while driving.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      00 AP1 - 03 SVTF - 04 RSV100R - 03 ZX6RR
      07-11-2015 08:53 PM #7
      I'm in.

I'm particularly sensitive to peripheral light. Looking at a computer screen with an open sunny window behind it, things like that. A candle at eye level on a dinner table with someone I'm trying to focus on beyond that.

I get the tunnels followed by a ridiculous migrane as well. Good to know I don't have a brain tumor.

Vehicles
      '12 Chevy Cruze ECO
      07-12-2015 05:47 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      It's called a migraine with aura or ocular migraine or scintillating scotoma.

I've gotten them twice in my life. Both times, the peripheral vision in my left eye would start to scintillate and this would last around 30 minutes before it would move to the right. Also, light sources in my peripheral vision would appear to be from the opposite eye. For example, a porch light that I could only see out of my right eye would show up in my left eye. Luckily for me, they didn't progress into a painful migraine. It sounds like yours do.
      Ok, I'll look this up. Your symptoms seem a bit different, and I haven't experienced any of that (thankfully!)

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxxt View Post
      I'm in.

I'm particularly sensitive to peripheral light. Looking at a computer screen with an open sunny window behind it, things like that. A candle at eye level on a dinner table with someone I'm trying to focus on beyond that.

I get the tunnels followed by a ridiculous migrane as well. Good to know I don't have a brain tumor.

This sounds pretty much like what I've experienced. And now that I'm more in tune with the triggers I can avoid them. I actually got in a similar situation at work the other day and was able to change where I was sitting to avoid the issue.

Some people above also mention being dehydrated or needing food. I also run into this sometimes, and it has similar effects. What stinks is that it's rarely a direct cause -> effect all, so while I am often just hungry, occasionally it turns into the migraine & nauseousness.
      I Like to Buy Bins of Loose LEGO's - PM Me if you have some you don't want.

For Sale / Trade: - VW Mk1 & Mk2, 8v Engine and Misc. trim parts: