Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Golf IV 4 Motion V6 - Turbo Project in planning

1. 05-20-2015 10:13 AM #1
      Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum, my brother and I are wanting to Turbo Charge a Golf IV 4 Motion V6, it has the 24V motor, and we are hoping that we could get some of your war stories, so we know what not to do, and what to do.

The plan is to do it in stages, so our talent grows with the car, so starting off with boost levels of 0.5 Bar / 7.5 Psi. if we can achieve that on the totally stock motor, injectors ECU, etc.... we will. and slowly progress the power from there. slowly turning this Ditch Finder into a Heat Seeking Ditch Finder, as we slowly start to do internals, computers, dynamite in the firing chamber, what ever it takes... (including things like brakes, suspension, etc...)

the car will be taken out of daily service and dedicated to the project.

Now for the moment of truth. I have experience adding substantial amounts of boost to motors that were Turbo charged from the factory, but I have never force fed an NA motor. So we would like to start this thread in the aim of getting guidance. What parts to use, where can I get them... and then how do I fit them....

Thanks everyone.
      Last edited by Ditch Finder; 05-21-2015 at 12:38 AM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 Volkswagen Jetta
      05-21-2015 05:59 PM #2
      Where did you find a 4motion golf? And why not just pick up an r32 motor and trans?

3. 05-24-2015 10:44 AM #3
      Found it in the classifieds. why would i spend that kind of money and effort to change the motor to gain 50 BHP when the current 2.8L V6 is fully capable of making some really good power if force fed?

The car is about 60,000 Miles on it, so its really not over warn. If there is a good reason, I'm all ears.

Vehicles
      THE IY AWD BT 20TH and 2004 Lupo GTI
      05-24-2015 09:06 PM #4
      Hit up PagParts for an all inclusive turbo kit, then United Motorsport for the tune.

Pics of the car?
      AWD BT 20th Anni build, check it out...
      flickr
      Contact me for JDM wheels and Newer model VW parts
      IG: @87vr6

5. 05-25-2015 02:56 AM #5
      This might come as a shock... but I have no idea how to post pics.
      But ill get a friend of mine who has figured the PC out to help me out.

Ill check Pag Parts now, thanks man.

My Brother, and his Mate are both 20 and realistically we dont know what we doing, so we figured we would make a bit of a channel out of it. we have a few Go-Pro's and a nice open room we can use for things like working on small components etc... so make it a display of what happens when total Noobs try do this. but we will post questions, use the right stuff, get the right tools, not make it a gag... but really try make it nice.

Vehicles
      05-25-2015 03:26 AM #6
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/faq.php?f...b3_attachments

For the record, the 2.8 24v can handle about 450hp with just a headgasket spacer. Past that you'll need internal upgrades.

What country are you in?
      flickr

7. 05-25-2015 03:41 AM #7
      I was going to order this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-V6-24V-2-...item2ecb6be076

there are Compression Ratio Options that are lower down the page. I was thinking of going to 9.4:1 Does that sound like a good idea?
      this maths is based on the fact that my RS6 is 9.3:1 and is boosting 1.2Bar happily with an MTM tune

We are in the Middle East, expats working out here. Figured I could have some fun while I'm out here.

with regards to internals it is something we will get to, but there is other stuff we want to do as well... get all we need to make our own carbon panels, general weight loss. The car will become a total project, but we want to do it right, not just look under the hood. so have power, but usable power.

8. 05-25-2015 03:56 AM #8
      Thanks to the unique way shipping & postage arrives here, there can be large delays. as a result we are starting to create a shopping list now, so we can start getting the stuff to arrive. And only start the build once we have most or all of what we need.

So all suggestions, comments, guidance, etc are totally welcome. I cannot stress just how relevant the word "Noob" is in this...

As we are going lower boost at first, we have a Garrett T04 AR.60 on its way. once we go with internal work, and bigger boost we will look into a bigger turbo, etc. so have the car be at its best through its development stages. or at least as much as we can within a reasonable budget.

every December an Airports Run way is opened up for top end runs... sooooo... might need to have a golf showing some american muscle a thing or 2 about straight line speed. we can show off by turning a corner as well

Vehicles
      05-25-2015 06:45 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Finder View Post
      we want to do it right, not just look under the hood. so have power, but usable power.
      Get off EBAY. Contact PagParts, as I mentioned earlier.

Get parts/kits that are made in concert with each other, not some random mish mash, unless you want this learning experience you wish to have to be painful and very expensive (more so than it will be already).

But I digress, do what you will. We'll be here to applaud or laugh.
      flickr

10. 05-25-2015 07:08 AM #10
      Im using Ebay more as a way of seeing what exists, what can be done, etc... I also use it for Birthday presents, cause im lazy.

But this is the idea of the thread, to have you guys that know point us in the right direction. So I will be contacting PagParts as suggested.

11. Today 01:59 AM #11
      Hey,

Are the water hoses in the 2.8L 24Valve the same as they are in the 3.2L?