Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Tablet head unit for cars

Vehicles
      G8 GT
      05-25-2015 07:33 PM #1
      So I recently came across this Sony head unit that uses your phone as the display. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-R5Yo7jf...-XSP-N1BT.html

I thought it was clever, but why doesn't anyone make a unit that takes tablets? There are people who mod Android tablets and Ipads into their dash, so there's a demand for it. Doing some research, looks like a company named Paragon had a prototype device that never came to market. I'm surprised no other company has made an attempt.

Demo of this head unit:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKR0C_Ez62Q

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      05-25-2015 08:02 PM #2
      Probably too many variables to deal with re: design, specs and capabilities.

And these days, it makes little sense since everything is going Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. Easier to just go with the flow.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

3. 05-25-2015 09:35 PM #3
      There are lots of junky head units that use detachable tablet-style touch screens, but I have not seen any that use actual tablets.
      http://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VR93...B.html?tp=5684

It would be nice if one did, because even the specialized super-expensive 9" Alpines have crappy 800x480 WVGA resolution. Two years ago the Nook HD had a 7" screen with 1440x900 resolution. Why can't car audio manufacturers match that?

Vehicles
      G8 GT
      05-25-2015 10:15 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ByronLLN View Post
      Probably too many variables to deal with re: design, specs and capabilities.

And these days, it makes little sense since everything is going Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. Easier to just go with the flow.
      Android Auto looks promising, and has a lot of growing to do, but little things like running Google maps through a Pioneer unit, you won't receive voice instructions.

There's an Android Developers conference happening later this week. I'm curious what they'll have to say about Android Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Yaksman View Post
      There are lots of junky head units that use detachable tablet-style touch screens, but I have not seen any that use actual tablets.
      http://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VR93...B.html?tp=5684

It would be nice if one did, because even the specialized super-expensive 9" Alpines have crappy 800x480 WVGA resolution. Two years ago the Nook HD had a 7" screen with 1440x900 resolution. Why can't car audio manufacturers match that?
      I agree, those hardware specs are shameful. I like the idea of a tablet, better hardware, no buggy or laggy software needed to mirror your phone. The way your docking station is wired is never going to change. So just swap out the tablet in a few years. That makes upgrading so simple.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      05-25-2015 10:21 PM #5
      This is why the likes of Mercedes, BMW and Mazda have been found toward the tablet stuck onto your dash look for their info screen. The thought being that they'll eventually be replaced with docking stations onto which you place your tablet.

6. Junior Member Silver Stealth's Avatar
      05-26-2015 01:11 PM #6
      Current Ride: 2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Quattro Manual Coupe
      Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Audi S4 4.2 Manual Sedan / 2008 VW GTI Manual 2 Door

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU Sahara
      05-26-2015 02:42 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver Stealth View Post
      So what happens in six months when a new tablet comes out? And if you want to actually use your glove box?
      Teefy Buna

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.