Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mk2 vs mk4 track car

Vehicles
      MK4 AWP, MK3 AAA, MK3 ABA BBM S/C, MK2 ABA, MK3 ABA beater, parts car left overs...
      06-21-2015 11:21 PM #1
      Hey guys, just want to ask if anyone has experience in both a mk2 and a mk4 as a track car, and which is preferred, and why. I've searched, but can't find any info about this kinda comparison.

Reason I ask I because I am at a cross roads so to speak about what to build. I want to use a 1.8T for the build, but I'm on the fence about which chassis to use. I love mk2's, but they are getting pretty old. Mk4's seem pretty well built cars, but I don't have much experience with them. I have a mk2 shell in good shape, and a next to free 1.8T donor car that snapped the T belt. I'm guessing that the price to build it would be pretty close to buying a half decent running mk4. So, I need help deciding which side if the fence to hop down to. Thanks!!
      I have LOTS of bits and pieces from mk2 and mk3 parts cars. PM me!!
      Quote Originally Posted by mk21.8Tjetta View Post
      Can a duck with a boner avoid dragging sea weed??
      Quote Originally Posted by onlyrotary17 View Post
      Translation in Google Translate.
      "Hi I `have a jetta mk2 1.6 td but now the timing belt has fart so the engine..."

Vehicles
      Mk2 trackcar /20v/6 spd
      06-27-2015 07:18 PM #2
      I had an mk4 337 gti. (did not tracked)
      A friend totaled.so i swapped into my current mk2 track toy.

It depends what you are looking for ..
      If you want a fast trackcar w/o doing engine internals, bigger turbo etc.. Mk2 is the one .

The mk4 will have a better newer suspension design therefore , you don't have to spend as much money with suspension/aero to handle great like you would in a mk2.
      But in the other hand ,its a much heavier car and you will need at least a hybrid turbo kit to push it around the track fast enough to have a lot of fun

Its really personal preference.
      Mk4 if you can shread some major weight.
      If not , mk2
      6 Speed in a mk2 20v /hx27w / Wavetrac LSD/ Fx400 /USP steel shift forks / BilsteinPSS custom valved /Swift 700lbs Springs / Kirk Rollcage /Wilwood 4 Piston / 11'' rotors - DTC-60 Pads / Race bushings / Tuned BY REY (elRey )

mk2/3 swap is for sale ..

Vehicles
      MK4 AWP, MK3 AAA, MK3 ABA BBM S/C, MK2 ABA, MK3 ABA beater, parts car left overs...
      06-28-2015 10:35 AM #3
      Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah that's kinda along the lines I was thinking. Some say that a stripped mk4 isn't much heavier then a mk2, but I can't see that being true.

And yeah the suspension stuff is ddefinitly something I'm wondering about. I know you get get some nice stuff for mk2 (tie rod flip kip, ball joint extenders etc), but I haven't seen much for mk4. Maybe they don't need it...? I should read through a mk4 track car build a see what they do.

Anyone else have any experience to share?
      Thanks!
      "Hi I `have a jetta mk2 1.6 td but now the timing belt has fart so the engine..."

Vehicles
      Mk2 trackcar /20v/6 spd
      06-28-2015 07:19 PM #4
      Well, you CAN get an mk4 close to a mk2 weight . but i Guarantee it won't be street legal ?

A mk2 fully stripped is only 1600-1700lbs . so no ! Not the same.

As far as suspension. You do have much more options with the newer mk4 frame. At least here in the US .

Gl
      Last edited by BR_337; 06-29-2015 at 08:15 AM.
      6 Speed in a mk2 20v /hx27w / Wavetrac LSD/ Fx400 /USP steel shift forks / BilsteinPSS custom valved /Swift 700lbs Springs / Kirk Rollcage /Wilwood 4 Piston / 11'' rotors - DTC-60 Pads / Race bushings / Tuned BY REY (elRey )

mk2/3 swap is for sale ..

Vehicles
      06-28-2015 10:58 PM #5
      Really? That's pretty good weight reduction. Stock they are what, about 2300 lbs?

But suspension, yeah! After a rainy afternoons worth of reading I discovered quite a few mk4 suspension parts I hadn't seen before. The h2 drop spindles looks pretty cool. And is the roll center correction kit on your website the same as the one usrt has on theirs? So what would the different be between the drop spindles and the correction kit?

Thanks guys!

6. 07-24-2015 05:38 PM #6
      Really? That's pretty good weight reduction. Stock they are what, about 2300 lbs?

But suspension, yeah! After a rainy afternoons worth of reading I discovered quite a few mk4 suspension parts I hadn't seen before. The h2 drop spindles looks pretty cool. And is the roll center correction kit on your website the same as the one usrt has on theirs? So what would the different be between the drop spindles and the correction kit?

Thanks guys!
      Consider this, get a mk1, stuff a 16v in it and vintage race it! I started to race my 83 in the Vintage Racers Group last year and it's a blast. I run a modified 8v which is pretty on pace with the 1800cc Mg's and such, but I think a modified 16v would give the bmw 2002's a good run for their money. Mine is fully stripped exept I still have glass at 1,800 lbs.