Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2003 Passat GLS - Solid Drive Indicator, EPC, New Stalling Issue, Hard Start

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003/Passat/GLS/20,000 miles/1.8L
      07-05-2015 09:35 PM #1
      I didn't want to start a new post, but I didnt really find one with ALL of the issues that I currently have at once.
      It all started with water getting into the passenger side floorboard as I am sure you all know what this feels like.
      This happened last fall. Issue was fixed by releasing the build up of junk in the battery bay, as well as sealing the cabin filter area. The following was present during this past winter.

1) The drive indicator (PRNDL etc) stayed solid all throughout the winter. When scanned with my V-201 scanner which is a cheaper Vag-Com handheld system, I got the following code; P1750 Power Supply Voltage Low. Now if I clear that code... I can see the Gear that the transmission is in... until I shut the car off and turn it back on. No Starting Issues, etc at all. No Check engine.

So this spring once it started getting nice out (as nice as it can be in New York), I started having other issues. No Water getting into the floorboard on either side so shouldn't be a new problem. I started actually being able to see which gear the vehicle was in (on occasion). During the transition, it would create a No Start Issue, which comes up as code P0322 Ignition Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit and an EPC light. Usually once the car starts, if I let it run for a minute and shut it off, it will start right up, EPC light will go off, and sometimes the Check Engine light will go off. This has been happening since April/May, and would change from Solid Drive Indicator to how its supposed to be about every two or three days.

1) Drive Indicator issue - Intermittent
      2) No Start Condition - Intermittent
      3) EPC light - High rev (1100 rpm) usually at around (900 or so normally without EPC light on)

So the past week or so its added stalling to the mix as well as a more consistent No Start Issue. This has never happened before. Sometimes when I am going down the road at normal 55mph or so, I can feel a stutter in the engine with a slight drop of the Rpm's but will stay on. If I pull over and shut off/start, it will give a no start condition. I'm not crazy for pulling over, just trying to find every possible outcome and condition as well as I am close to home and this car has a crap load of limp modes that will allow me to get home if need be. The last day, the car has stalled 3 times when coming to a stop. I am starting to wonder if it may be a dying battery but no battery light until the car has stalled.

To make sure it wasnt the TCM from the passenger side floorboard, I have replaced with a used unit (exactly the same part number), and it was perfectly fine for 2 or 3 days, I could see what gear I was in, no more hard starts, no check engine, no EPC, etc. After about a week, it was right back to the same conditions as the old TCM. I have tried the originaly TCM just to make sure this wasnt just from the new unit... but its consistent now no matter the TCM unit that is plugged in. Any ideas?
      Last edited by pattafurr02; 07-06-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Vehicles
      '88 Fox Wagon x 2; '87 Fox Wagon; '02 Passat GLS Wagon 5-speed (So; Three Foxes and A Pig!)
      07-05-2015 11:34 PM #2
      What type of motor is in your car, and how many miles/kms on the odometer...? ....could be one or more of many things....I have an '02 1.8t GLS Wagon 5 speed; with just over 380,000 km (~237,000 mi) on the clock....maybe the wiring connections haven't completely dried out; perhaps check the connections for corrosion...get out the volt meter and happy hunting...? ...how much life left in the battery...? ...about a month ago, my fuel pump succumbed to age....I have only owned the car for just over a year, and have no idea when this component may have been replaced.......I have read other members posts; where an ignition switch could be the source of hard starts....it could be the crankshaft sensor....the camshaft position sensor....perhaps a coolant temp sensor.......but prior to my fuel pump dying; for about two to three weeks previous....I would have to start the car twice....to have it stay lit....if you make a habit of driving around with less than half of a tank of fuel; you may have prematurely/helped burn out your fuel pump....the in-tank pump needs to be submerged in fuel to keep it cool.....and not over heat/burn out.....a way to rule out your fuel pump being the culprit; get a helper, a bucket, a 13 mm & 17 mm open end wrenches....(this is on a 1.8t motor)....locate the fuel rail; put the wrenches in place.....crack the connection on the union....take the fuel delivery hose and point it into the bucket....have your helper turn the ignition key to crank the engine....if no fuel comes out of the line.....your fuel pump is toast...there are several components on the car that can be working below original specification, or not at all; and the car can still drive.....the Fuel Pump is NOT one of them....hope this helps to narrow your search....Best of Success...!!!
      Last edited by KRAMMIT; 07-05-2015 at 11:37 PM.
      KRAMMIT ...STAY TUNED! I KNOW I DO!

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003/Passat/GLS/20,000 miles/1.8L
      07-06-2015 11:22 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by KRAMMIT View Post
      What type of motor is in your car, and how many miles/kms on the odometer...? ....could be one or more of many things....I have an '02 1.8t GLS Wagon 5 speed; with just over 380,000 km (~237,000 mi) on the clock....maybe the wiring connections haven't completely dried out; perhaps check the connections for corrosion...get out the volt meter and happy hunting...? ...how much life left in the battery...? ...about a month ago, my fuel pump succumbed to age....I have only owned the car for just over a year, and have no idea when this component may have been replaced.......I have read other members posts; where an ignition switch could be the source of hard starts....it could be the crankshaft sensor....the camshaft position sensor....perhaps a coolant temp sensor.......but prior to my fuel pump dying; for about two to three weeks previous....I would have to start the car twice....to have it stay lit....if you make a habit of driving around with less than half of a tank of fuel; you may have prematurely/helped burn out your fuel pump....the in-tank pump needs to be submerged in fuel to keep it cool.....and not over heat/burn out.....a way to rule out your fuel pump being the culprit; get a helper, a bucket, a 13 mm & 17 mm open end wrenches....(this is on a 1.8t motor)....locate the fuel rail; put the wrenches in place.....crack the connection on the union....take the fuel delivery hose and point it into the bucket....have your helper turn the ignition key to crank the engine....if no fuel comes out of the line.....your fuel pump is toast...there are several components on the car that can be working below original specification, or not at all; and the car can still drive.....the Fuel Pump is NOT one of them....hope this helps to narrow your search....Best of Success...!!!
      It is a 1.8L 4 cyl, with about 120,000 miles. The battery was actually in the car when I purchased it so I should probably have it checked to make sure its still good. The fuel pump I dont think is an issue only because it will start up immediately after stalling. I have heard of the ignition being an issue as well, maybe I will wiggle it going down the road to see if it does anything else. Thank you for your reply