VWVortex.com - Who else is autocrossing their mk7 GTI? Video & build discussion please.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 372

    Thread: Who else is autocrossing their mk7 GTI? Video & build discussion please.

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-09-2015 10:51 AM #1
      Finally purchased my first new car last month: 2015 VW GTI, manual trans. Here's my second day (first weekend) of racing it:

      http://youtu.be/8Q5OvQ4u9Mo

      I definitely made some mistakes, but a solid result. Enjoy!
      Last edited by VRUM VR6; 07-09-2015 at 11:07 AM.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2015
      Location
      North of Chicago
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn PP DCC LP White
      07-09-2015 11:53 AM #2
      Good vid!

      Quick question are you pushing your left foot on the dead pedal or keeping your seat belt tight? You look like your flying around in your seat.

      Nice Senna sticker!

      Is this Milwaukee? I need to get some seat time, I haven't autoxed since 2005.
      Last edited by SingleTrackMind555; 07-09-2015 at 11:56 AM.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-09-2015 12:23 PM #3
      Thanks man! I'm locked in the seatbelt for sure as I do. Likely on the dead pedal as well. I do move around a bit as I'm certainly not the mannequin type racer LOL

      Yes Milwaukee - details in video notes. Chicago region will be at Lake County Fairgrounds on July 19th BTW... be there or be square! I'll be in the blue mk7 GTI.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2015
      Location
      North of Chicago
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn PP DCC LP White
      07-09-2015 01:16 PM #4
      I think I'm totally in for July 19! granted it's going to suck because I have all seasons and a tune.
      I'll be job a white 4door with pp


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-09-2015 01:28 PM #5
      Yeah, that's a bad combination classing wise. The good news is that you have plenty of time to get some tires. Or just do it for the fun of it!

      I went the stock/street class route and bought some tires instead of a tune - this car is seriously crazy fast as is - compared to my nationally competitive Celica GT that runs in the exact same class, but it feels like a fat pig that refuses to turn! It's easily 700-800 lbs. heavier in comparison.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-09-2015 01:40 PM #6
      Keeping in mind that I'm building this car for SCCA G-Street classing... Eibach is still developing anti-sway bars - I want a rear one. Hotchkis is years behind - not sure of any other sway bar options.

      Koni has sport shocks now, however the rear shock needs to be removed to adjust it - sounds terrible to me thanks to the way the car is made I'm sure.

      Can anyone ask/beg/make Volkswagen produce some dealer front camber bolts please? This car really needs them badly! And VW made them for my VW Corrado SLC VR6 back in the day - so why not do the same thing for the mk7 GTI please?

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2015
      Location
      North of Chicago
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn PP DCC LP White
      07-09-2015 01:54 PM #7
      o, I will be getting tires next season. I need Winters first. are you running 17x7.5's? I can't find any light/decent priced 18x7.5's

      The car is plenty fast for AutoX, I got the tune because i drive 60+ miles on 294 every day. Need to pass Hopefully APR comes out with map switching soon so i can drop her down to stock for autox. 1-3 is almost useless with all season

      there are couple of Sways on the market but i'm waiting for the Eibach. I'm also waiting to see if i need one, DCC comes with a slightly thicker rear sway. So i'll see if it fits my driving style. SLOW, but smooth.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-09-2015 02:03 PM #8
      I did go with 17" wheels. BTW a switchable tune is strictly prohibited in SCCA street classes for very obvious reasons...

      What are these rear sway bar options that you're aware of? Didn't know there was a thicker one from VW either. Does the Golf R have a thicker one than the DCC? If so, does it fit the GTI?

    9. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      5,076
      Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-09-2015 02:13 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post
      I did go with 17" wheels. BTW a switchable tune is strictly prohibited in SCCA street classes for very obvious reasons...
      I suppose, but how would anybody know? If you are honest and keep it in stock mode, I don't see people actually challenging the result. Maybe this would be an issue for someone placing in the top few slots at nationals.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2015
      Location
      North of Chicago
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn PP DCC LP White
      07-09-2015 02:18 PM #10
      Since when/ DOH!

      And you can tell when a car is tuned.

      Here are some sways http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...sion/Sway_Bar/

      20mm(GTI) vs 21.3-21.7mm(GTI w/ DCC)
      Last edited by SingleTrackMind555; 07-09-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: adding info

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-09-2015 02:28 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I suppose, but how would anybody know? If you are honest and keep it in stock mode, I don't see people actually challenging the result. Maybe this would be an issue for someone placing in the top few slots at nationals.

      I didn't make the SCCA rules - I just follow them as one should. Feel free to direct these type of questions to the SEB at SCCA.

    12. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      5,076
      Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-09-2015 02:34 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post
      I didn't make the SCCA rules - I just follow them as one should. Feel free to direct these type of questions to the SEB at SCCA.
      It's not really a question. I'm not challenging the rule, I'm just questioning the practical impact and enforceability.

    13. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      07-09-2015 02:59 PM #13
      Hey John, nice to see you to join the VW side. We met last year at Rantoul when you were still in the Celica and I had the MK6.

      I am still waiting for my MK7(2 door, S, 6MT, PP) so I am still tooling around in my old car.

      The rear bar option I am aware of for MK7 is Neuspeed, H&R(2 sizes) and I think there is a SuperPro one. H&R I think has the fattest right now(26mm solid). SuperPro I think has the only adjustable one, but its a much thinner bar(22mm I think). None of the others are adjustable.

      The Camber thing probably is wishful thinking. I don't think VW is doing much for autoX these days. At least the STs are basically suffering the same issue.

      I am also looking into catback options.

      I am going to Match Tour at Toledo next week and I expect to see the first competitive MK7 there. A NWOR guy just switched his 2015 WRX to a GTI PP and I know he is fast so I will be curious to see how he stacks up to the few nationally ranked ST and see how close I can keep up.

      Curious to know what your thought is on the gearing of the car. 2nd is pretty tall for 6MT(72mph I think), do you feel it being a problem at slower corners? The's probably my main worry.
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 07-09-2015 at 03:02 PM.

    14. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      07-09-2015 03:00 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      It's not really a question. I'm not challenging the rule, I'm just questioning the practical impact and enforceability.
      Probably not very enforceable, but people can always protest.

    15. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      5,076
      Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      07-09-2015 03:41 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Probably not very enforceable, but people can always protest.
      My point is that if you leave it in stock mode, how would anybody know to protest? At least on the tunes with switching I have experienced, the only way to know is to either hook it up to a VAGCOM (or factory reader) or to input the tune-change sequence

    16. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      07-09-2015 03:50 PM #16
      I think at that point its purely just on honor system. And at which point I don't think it matters a whole lot. Be it as removing the tuner box or switching the tune back.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2011
      Location
      Cato, NY (Near Syracuse)
      Posts
      240
      Vehicles
      '15 MkVII NBM GTI SE W/Manual & Lighting Package
      07-12-2015 10:56 PM #17
      I've been AutoX-ing my MkVII this year as well. Nothing too serious though, just more for the fun of getting out and tearing around in the car and meeting lots of great people. I went with tires/wheels this season rather than a tune as many others have, not only to stay in GS, but also because the stock Pirelli P7s just didn't cut it, even for street driving, it would only be worse with more power.

      I went with a nice easy package from Tirerack on some wheels that were 5lbs lighter per corner and I couldn't pass up on the closeout pricing for the Direzza ZIIs. I only wish I had done it sooner! The added grip really did transform the car, turn-in is so much crisper, and most of the time you can really get the car to go where you want to put it. Rotation is greatly improved too, I'm continuously amazed at how well this car rotates for a heavy FWD.
      '15 MkVII GTI NBM SE W/6MT and Lighting Package Picked up: Sept 6th '14
      ~ VCDS Tweaks, Catless D.P, Solo-Werks Coilovers, Street-Shield, Intake, Badgeskins, GT5 Wheels/Extreme Contact DW tires, Rear Window-wing delete

    18. Member RjRacing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2008
      Location
      Philly
      Posts
      1,748
      Vehicles
      15' GTI PP (Daily), 05' Evo 8 (Track), 05' Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 (Tow&Plow)
      07-12-2015 11:16 PM #18
      I have done a few auto-x days in my GTI and my build with pics/video is in my sig. The car does great, the only problem is that a tuned MK7 GTI is way too much power for the low speeds and tight turns found on auto-x courses regardless of what tires you're running.

      My advice: If your goal is to compete in auto-x, build your MK7 GTI based on the stock GS class rules and you will be very competitive (if you can drive)... otherwise understand that these cars can get outclassed quickly in the modified classes like DSP, SM, STU... etc.
      15' GTI PP/LP/DSG: 12.2@121.8MPH on PSS - IS38 MPH & FWD MK7 Street Tire Record APR | AWE | Bilstein | Enkei | EuroCode | Forge | JB4 | Neuspeed | StopTech - My Build Thread
      -05' Evo 8.5: Fully Built 2.4LR motor w/ HTA3586R TS- 700+WHP Time Attack Car
      Follow me on my new Instagram account @ RjRacing05

    19. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      07-13-2015 07:59 AM #19
      GTI would be in STX(not STU) class based on the Street Touring prep provision. Which is still street tires(200TW) and has suspension allowance like other ST cars in coil overs, both sway bars, and camber plates plus some other stuff. Engine wise you can do intake, exhaust up to and include downpipe and I think cat. You can run aftermarket tune, but cannot alter factory boost level. You can also install LSD, wider wheels and tires(IIRC 9" and 265mm max). Also aftermarket seats and harness, and steering wheel and short shift kits. It would be racing against FRS/BRZ, RX8, 128i, Mini Cooper S...etc, with similar prep level. No idea if it would be competitive in that trim(maybe) but it's not impossible I think...

      If you want to race big power you have to be in SMF and it's R-comp class, and anything less is next to useless...

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 23rd, 2015
      Location
      North of Chicago
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn PP DCC LP White
      07-13-2015 10:48 AM #20
      This car is going to be very hard to drive with the tune. My goals for this car is more of a commuter then autox slayer. However i want to do a couple of weekends!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-14-2015 03:42 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Hey John, nice to see you to join the VW side. We met last year at Rantoul when you were still in the Celica and I had the MK6.

      I am still waiting for my MK7(2 door, S, 6MT, PP) so I am still tooling around in my old car.

      The rear bar option I am aware of for MK7 is Neuspeed, H&R(2 sizes) and I think there is a SuperPro one. H&R I think has the fattest right now(26mm solid). SuperPro I think has the only adjustable one, but its a much thinner bar(22mm I think). None of the others are adjustable.

      The Camber thing probably is wishful thinking. I don't think VW is doing much for autoX these days. At least the STs are basically suffering the same issue.

      I am also looking into catback options.

      I am going to Match Tour at Toledo next week and I expect to see the first competitive MK7 there. A NWOR guy just switched his 2015 WRX to a GTI PP and I know he is fast so I will be curious to see how he stacks up to the few nationally ranked ST and see how close I can keep up.

      Curious to know what your thought is on the gearing of the car. 2nd is pretty tall for 6MT(72mph I think), do you feel it being a problem at slower corners? The's probably my main worry.
      Andrew, thanks for bringing this thread back to where it belongs. I've done three serious, competitive autocrosses in my mk7 GTI and I find absolutely nothing wrong with second gear - it's perfect as far as I'm concerned. And about joining the "VW side"... have you noticed my userid and join date by any chance?

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-14-2015 03:52 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Kookookachew View Post
      I've been AutoX-ing my MkVII this year as well. Nothing too serious though, just more for the fun of getting out and tearing around in the car and meeting lots of great people. I went with tires/wheels this season rather than a tune as many others have, not only to stay in GS, but also because the stock Pirelli P7s just didn't cut it, even for street driving, it would only be worse with more power.

      I went with a nice easy package from Tirerack on some wheels that were 5lbs lighter per corner and I couldn't pass up on the closeout pricing for the Direzza ZIIs. I only wish I had done it sooner! The added grip really did transform the car, turn-in is so much crisper, and most of the time you can really get the car to go where you want to put it. Rotation is greatly improved too, I'm continuously amazed at how well this car rotates for a heavy FWD.
      Awesome - glad to hear that you're autocrossing and really enjoying your GTI as well!

      I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that yours is rotating well - I needed to play with tire pressures significantly to get mine to behave properly... cannot wait to get the rear anti-sway bar in once I score the right special tool to remove the factory bolts.

    23. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      07-14-2015 07:51 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post
      Andrew, thanks for bringing this thread back to where it belongs. I've done three serious, competitive autocrosses in my mk7 GTI and I find absolutely nothing wrong with second gear - it's perfect as far as I'm concerned. And about joining the "VW side"... have you noticed my userid and join date by any chance?
      I should have said "again" lol

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 9th, 1999
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      850
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC VR6, 2001 Audi A4 1.8T quattro, 2000 Toyota Celica GT, 2015 GTI
      07-14-2015 11:57 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      I should have said "again" lol
      Dat's right!

      Thank you Andrew for being the initial catalyst that got my gears turning and thinking about the possibility of getting into a GTI... I remember being very curious about your GTI that day in Rantoul due to how well you challenged me and my Celica, and asking you tons of questions. It was a great conversation that I filed for a bit - until I saw a GTI pre-registered really early for the original March 2015 Blytheville national tour (well before it was rescheduled for May) at which point I started researching the GTI thoroughly - eventually leading to my first new car purchase well into my forties.

    25. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      7,314
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      07-15-2015 08:19 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by VRUM VR6 View Post
      Dat's right!

      Thank you Andrew for being the initial catalyst that got my gears turning and thinking about the possibility of getting into a GTI... I remember being very curious about your GTI that day in Rantoul due to how well you challenged me and my Celica, and asking you tons of questions. It was a great conversation that I filed for a bit - until I saw a GTI pre-registered really early for the original March 2015 Blytheville national tour (well before it was rescheduled for May) at which point I started researching the GTI thoroughly - eventually leading to my first new car purchase well into my forties.
      Hey I am glad I can put more people in VWs instead of all STs....if nothing else hopefully people will do more with these cars and we'll get more stuff for it(like getting Sam Strano to make sway bar for the car....lol, I asked, he doesn't think there is a market for one). I am starting to look at stuff that can be done to the prep. Rear bar will probably first(I'm thinking H&R or Neuspeed), I am still looking for a catback that'll lose weight appreciably from stock and may still be DD-able. And for the MK7 eventually I'll definitely do dampers, but whether just the normal Koni Yellow or something else I have no clue...

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •