VWVortex.com - The NSA Surveillance thread......
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: The NSA Surveillance thread......

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T,06 BMW 325I
      08-15-2015 10:05 PM #1
      http://www.businessinsider.com/this-...s-radar-2015-8

This font lets you see if you’re on the NSA’s radar

When the former NSA contractor Edward Snowden began leaking classified documents in 2013, it became clear that Western intelligence agencies were monitoring online communications with profound fluidity.

Whether by email or Skype conversation, the mass surveillance programmes revealed have placed privacy rights at the forefront of the digital age, questioning how much of what we say online is confidential.

Now, there’s a font with an answer.

Project Seen is a typeface that automatically redacts keywords that the NSA looks for in determining potential threats—parallel to initiatives actually practiced by the agency, like Echelon. Created by Slovenian designer Emil Kozole, Seen uses approximately 300 "trigger words" to deduce whether the user is susceptible to surveillance.

Based on a list released by the US Department of Homeland Security in 2011, suspicious words range from "explosive" and "gangs," to "relief" and "exercise."

Working on the project during his Masters studies at London’s Central St Martins, Kozole tells the The Creator’s Project, “So my question was: could the font understand the words that we’re writing and notify us when we write one of the ‘trigger words’?”

A font is a software similar to any other program running on a computer. By implementing a code, certain letters or words can be swamped with symbols, or crossed out entirely. Seen demonstrates how the ambiguity of some of the trigger words run the risk of taking threats out of context. While this could allow users to self-censor in order to avoid monitoring, for Kozole, it's about stimulating conversation.

“Perhaps the typeface can spark new debate in an undefined field of language versus data, and gesture towards new evasive techniques that can protect people's privacy,” Kozole says.

Mimicking censored documents, Seen currently comes in three different styles including Strikethrough, Blackout and Underlined. Try it for yourself by downloading Seen here.

Read the original article on The Creators Project. Copyright 2015. Follow The Creators Project on Twitter.
      Dwight D. Eisenhower: “If you want total security, go to prison. There you’re fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking… is freedom.”

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T,06 BMW 325I
      08-15-2015 10:07 PM #2
      AT&T helped the NSA spy on huge amounts of US internet traffic
      http://www.businessinsider.com/att-h...traffic-2015-8
      Dwight D. Eisenhower: “If you want total security, go to prison. There you’re fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking… is freedom.”

3. 08-17-2015 10:21 AM #3
      So, stupid question................wouldn't it be a HUGE "gotcha" to come across a document full of redaction?

There was a TED talk that I think has a better solution: superfluous information. Can't find the video right now, but he basically got them shutup and go away by giving them way too much info.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      08-17-2015 10:53 AM #4
      My guess is that the better way to hide secrets or pass important and sensitive information, would be to write and talk like p@rnstars hyped up on ultra cuteness (cue pigtails image) and have your secret reunions at p@rn conventions.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      You mean CalDeRoo?

Vehicles
      2015 Equinox
      08-17-2015 11:46 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      So, stupid question................wouldn't it be a HUGE "gotcha" to come across a document full of redaction?
      I think its more of a training tool to make sure you aren't using too many trigger words before you transmit the info. You type up your communication, switch fonts, make a note of which words need to be tweaked, swap back to normal font and modify the document accordingly.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
      08-17-2015 12:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by LangsamKafer View Post
      I think its more of a training tool to make sure you aren't using too many trigger words before you transmit the info. You type up your communication, switch fonts, make a note of which words need to be tweaked, swap back to normal font and modify the document accordingly.
      *throws computer out the window; grabs pen and paper; writes in messy cursive*

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      08-17-2015 02:01 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      *throws computer out the window; grabs pen and paper; writes in Medical Professional (r) cursive*
      FTFY
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.
      You mean CalDeRoo?

Vehicles
      08-17-2015 10:04 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      FTFY
      Dont worry, Google has a solution that and happily provides it to the NSA...

Errr, I mean Alphabet.

Vehicles
      08-21-2015 12:17 AM #9
      Ex- Salt Lake City mayor sues NSA over Olympics surveillance
      http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36043670&nid...s-surveillance

Vehicles
      swedish POS, one of 341 made, Montego blue 5M LSD NA.
      08-21-2015 12:30 AM #10

Rocky Anderson also ran 3rd party in 2012.

I believe Utah (or Colorado?) also threatened to cut off water to a local NSA database (needing millions of gallons to cool the servers). on them
      Last edited by 88c900t; 08-21-2015 at 12:32 AM.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      08-21-2015 11:31 PM #11

Rocky Anderson also ran 3rd party in 2012.

I believe Utah (or Colorado?) also threatened to cut off water to a local NSA database (needing millions of gallons to cool the servers). on them
      Utah houses that pathetic data base just south os SLC. You can see a sliver of the building from the middle of SLC.

I didnt know they were threatening that. I do notice now that the local flights, including the ones I have been on, get routed to the East and or West of the building. Prior to the building being built, it was a direct path through the South end of the Valley.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      08-22-2015 10:00 AM #12
      What damages?

I know privacy is an important topic, but what the heck did the mayor think the NSA was doing?
      They probably were just running everything through a filter to look for certain words for security reasons.
      Did Utah not vote for Bush and support his "war against terrorism"?

*If the info gathered from such emails ends up being used against somebody in court.
      That is another thing entirely.
      But to just say "The NSA saw these emails and texts.. we need money!" is rather silly.
      How did everybody think the war of priva... terror was supposed to work?

I guess the only spying allowed in Utah is Mormons spying on Mormons.
      (Strengthening Church Members Committee)
      Last edited by BRealistic; 08-22-2015 at 10:07 AM.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      08-22-2015 10:03 AM #13
      Utah.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
      I am sure they hated all the $1,500,000,000 in federal money that was spend building it too.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

For advertising information click HERE