VWVortex.com - Because Roadkill (yep--it means what you think it means, so come on in!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Because Roadkill (yep--it means what you think it means, so come on in!)

1. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      09-08-2015 12:16 PM #51
      Gleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

09-10-2015 08:42 AM #52
      I really liked how shmaggy your oil filter was. The whole thing just needed some attention. Don't get too attached to that V6 though. Because it has got to go soon.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

3. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      09-10-2015 09:05 AM #53
      I just like that it's a Pontiac G-body for once.

4. 09-10-2015 11:02 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      I really liked how shmaggy your oil filter was. The whole thing just needed some attention. Don't get too attached to that V6 though. Because it has got to go soon.
      You're correct, of course. Still, I'm trying to get the V6 to run properly. Despite everything I've been through with it so far, I feel like it is so close to being nursed back into good health. I don't want to stop now.

I was going to go for a drive yesterday, but after idling for 5 minutes I found out there is still a fuel leak. It seems to be coming from the back side (inside?) of the fuel pump now, not the hose connection. A new fuel pump is all of $13 at O'Reilly, so I think I'll buy one and install it. Oh, and the valve cover gaskets leak like a sieve, so I ordered a pair of those, too. Everything for this car is dirt cheap!

(ominous foreshadowing)

And yes, the V6 is definitely going to go... perhaps with the rest of the car attached. I've found something else locally I'd like to have a whole lot more than this car. My wife is all for me buying it; if I do, the blue car will then be sold in its entirety.

Stay tuned.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

Vehicles
      Barbie Jeep Power Wheel
      09-10-2015 11:21 AM #55
      An L33 might be a good choice for that car. They came in lots of the GMT800 body style pickups. They are an all aluminum 5.3 with flat top pistons and some other good stuff from the factory. They are 310hp stock, and warm over nicely. Guys pick them up for projects over the same era Corvette engine and they are quite similar except for the displacement difference and significantly less expensive to buy.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pro...-build-part-3/

6. 09-10-2015 11:36 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      You're correct, of course. Still, I'm trying to get the V6 to run properly. Despite everything I've been through with it so far, I feel like it is so close to being nursed back into good health. I don't want to stop now.

I was going to go for a drive yesterday, but after idling for 5 minutes I found out there is still a fuel leak. It seems to be coming from the back side (inside?) of the fuel pump now, not the hose connection. A new fuel pump is all of $13 at O'Reilly, so I think I'll buy one and install it. Oh, and the valve cover gaskets leak like a sieve, so I ordered a pair of those, too. Everything for this car is dirt cheap!

(ominous foreshadowing)

And yes, the V6 is definitely going to go... perhaps with the rest of the car attached. I've found something else locally I'd like to have a whole lot more than this car. My wife is all for me buying it; if I do, the blue car will then be sold in its entirety.

Stay tuned.
      What the what??!
      Matt
      2016 Honda Accord Sport CVT w/ HondaSensing, Crystal Black Pearl/Black

09-10-2015 11:39 AM #57

(ominous foreshadowing)

Stay tuned.
      Haha! I've done that before. In fact, I'll be doing that with my Datsun. Fixing little things like the valve cover gasket and some vacuum hoses before I swap it out for a 5.3.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |

8. 09-10-2015 12:02 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      What the what??!
      I will say nothing more until (if?) it happens.

Haha! I've done that before. In fact, I'll be doing that with my Datsun. Fixing little things like the valve cover gasket and some vacuum hoses before I swap it out for a 5.3.
      Yeah, I still haven't been able to properly evaluate the brake system, the suspension, etc. I really am looking forward to driving it, even with V6 power (and I use that term loosely).
      Dempsey Bowling
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

9. 09-10-2015 10:40 PM #59

Everyone in this thread has been wrong so far

10. 09-10-2015 11:53 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by sideways89 View Post
      Everyone in this thread has been wrong so far
      No way, Jose. I could not disagree more.
      Dempsey Bowling

11. 09-11-2015 12:15 AM #61
      I picked up my new fuel pump after work, so I decided to install it this evening. I had to remove the PS pump to gain access... which meant I needed to remove the fan and the fan shroud... again... but that was no big deal. With the new pump in place, I reassembled only what was necessary to safely start the engine so I could check for proper operation as well as check for any leaks.

This was a cold start, so I gave the throttle two quick stabs out of habit and then twisted the key. It fired right up, and--miracle of miracles--for the first time ever it was idling on its own while completely cold. Wow! I got out, watched the fuel pump carefully for about a minute to ensure no leaks were present, then I shut it off since there was very little water in the radiator.

Speaking of, now seemed like as good a time as any to flush out the radiator. I opened the drain thingy (since I can't use the C word) and kept adding fresh water until it consistently came out clear. This took a while, but I didn't want to pull the lower hose since it was on the same end tank as the cap. After closing the drain and finally refilling the radiator (still with straight water--I'll mix in coolant after I can flush out the engine a bit) I decided to start it again and let it idle until the thermostat opened. After my good experience with the last cold start, I boldly decided to try starting it without even touching the gas pedal.

Vroom!

It fired right up and settled into a smooth idle. I was flabbergasted. This may seem a trivial thing to many of you, but it is real progress for this poor old car, and I could not have been more happy. Like a person who finds an abused/abandoned animal and is determined to lovingly nurse it back to health, I am going to bring this car back to running well. Every sign of progress is a beautiful thing to me.

After five or six minutes of idling, the thermostat opened. I gave it another minute for the fresh water to circulate into the engine, then I turned it off. Besides, by now the engine was warming up enough for the leaking valve cover gaskets to drip oil onto the exhaust manifolds, thus starting the smoke show. Those new gaskets are on their way to me, so that will be addressed soon enough.

On another note, I may have found the source of the power steering fluid leak. After I shut it down for the last time this evening, I noticed a fresh puddle of fluid on the formerly-clean-and-dry steering box. Hmm. I'll have to look into that.
      Last edited by TurboMinivan; 09-11-2015 at 12:41 AM.
      Dempsey Bowling

12. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      09-11-2015 07:42 AM #62
      I picked up my new fuel pump after work, so I decided to install it this evening. I had to remove the PS pump to gain access... which meant I needed to remove the fan and the fan shroud... again... but that was no big deal. With the new pump in place, I reassembled only what was necessary to safely start the engine so I could check for proper operation as well as check for any leaks.

This was a cold start, so I gave the throttle two quick stabs out of habit and then twisted the key. It fired right up, and--miracle of miracles--for the first time ever it was idling on its own while completely cold. Wow! I got out, watched the fuel pump carefully for about a minute to ensure no leaks were present, then I shut it off since there was very little water in the radiator.

Speaking of, now seemed like as good a time as any to flush out the radiator. I opened the drain thingy (since I can't use the C word) and kept adding fresh water until it consistently came out clear. This took a while, but I didn't want to pull the lower hose since it was on the same end tank as the cap. After closing the drain and finally refilling the radiator (still with straight water--I'll mix in coolant after I can flush out the engine a bit) I decided to start it again and let it idle until the thermostat opened. After my good experience with the last cold start, I boldly decided to try starting it without even touching the gas pedal.

Vroom!

It fired right up and settled into a smooth idle. I was flabbergasted. This may seem a trivial thing to many of you, but it is real progress for this poor old car, and I could not have been more happy. Like a person who finds an abused/abandoned animal and is determined to lovingly nurse it back to health, I am going to bring this car back to running well. Every sign of progress is a beautiful thing to me.

After five or six minutes of idling, the thermostat opened. I gave it another minute for the fresh water to circulate into the engine, then I turned it off. Besides, by now the engine was warming up enough for the leaking valve cover gaskets to drip oil onto the exhaust manifolds, thus starting the smoke show. Those new gaskets are on their way to me, so that will be addressed soon enough.

On another note, I may have found the source of the power steering fluid leak. After I shut it down for the last time this evening, I noticed a fresh puddle of fluid on the formerly-clean-and-dry steering box. Hmm. I'll have to look into that.
      we can't say petcock?

13. 09-11-2015 10:53 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      we can't say petcock?
      Hmm, I guess we can. I just figured it would get edited out. Oh, well, whatever.
      Dempsey Bowling

14. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      09-11-2015 11:42 AM #64
      Hmm, I guess we can. I just figured it would get edited out. Oh, well, whatever.
      petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock petcock

15. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      09-11-2015 11:43 AM #65
      no, I think we're cool.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      09-11-2015 12:12 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      As far as wheels, I don't think the GTA crosslaces look right on a G-body at all
      PFFTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-11-2015 12:40 PM #67
      If you insist on doing so, black crosslaces on a GN are tolerable, but they still don't look right to me. Crosslaces, for whatever reason, suit the flowing lines of a thirdgen Trans Am, not the sharp, angular profile of a G-body.

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      09-11-2015 12:53 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      PFFTTTTTTTTTTTTT
      I wonder how Fiero GT laces would look.

Vehicles
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      09-11-2015 01:07 PM #69
      buddy in college had one of these, fully loaded GP with the 350....great car, uber classy even back then:

Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      M-Coupe
      09-11-2015 01:19 PM #70
      my issue here is how these old cars smell inside. I hate the old smell.
      unaffiliated

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      09-11-2015 01:22 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by greyvdub View Post
      What "old car smell"? They all smell different depending on the car's past from my findings.

And I should know this

09-11-2015 02:37 PM #72
      That's part of the charm for me. Its a mixture of aerosol hairspray and cigarettes. Add a sagging headliner and you're basically reliving the good-old days with me.

Chris

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-11-2015 03:53 PM #73
      That's part of the charm for me. Its a mixture of aerosol hairspray and cigarettes. Add a sagging headliner and you're basically reliving the good-old days with me.

Chris
      I think there's also hints of Drakar Noir/Old Spice/English Leather and Armor-All in "that smell".
      Last edited by 4.OMG; 09-11-2015 at 03:57 PM.

24. 09-11-2015 04:56 PM #74
      Thankfully, ol' blue is just fine as far as the interior goes. Yes, it needs a light cleaning (and I intend to have it professionally steam cleaned once it reaches full operational status). But as far as odd/horrid/unexplained odors are concerned, this car is mint.
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      09-11-2015 05:53 PM #75
      As for Step Two, I did some online research to figure out which exact carburetor is on the V6. It happens to be a Rochester DualJet model E2ME, which has an electric choke.
      If it really is an E2ME, that would be a computer-controlled carburetor. I'm a little surprised to find that in a 1980 model. I thought 1981 was the cut-over, but maybe some slipped in during the '80 model year. I think the non-computer-controlled version was called the M2ME. You can tell for sure by looking to see whether the carb has the electrical connector on top for the mixture control solenoid. If it does, then it's a computer-controlled carb. The way that system worked is fairly ridiculous, but it actually performs pretty well when everything is in good condition. They wanted to be able to move the metering rods up and down in response to commands from the computer, which was monitoring the O2 sensor for a rich/lean signal just like a modern EFI system does. However, at the time, they didn't have "stepper" type motors that were suitable for the application (small/fast/cheap/reliable enough). Instead, they used a simple electric solenoid attached to the metering rods. When the solenoid is energized, it wants to push the metering rods down into the "lean" position. When it's not energized, the rods want to pop up under spring tension into the "rich" position. The computer is constantly energizing and de-energizing the solenoid to keep the rods bouncing around to control the average fuel flow over time.

Just one of the interesting pieces of engineering that came out of the malaise era...

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business on hiatus while I finish the Pontiac Project and The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast