A local Jeep friend knows a guy who is into lowriders, and that dude has the wheel removal tool I need. Tonight after I got home from work, my friend came down to my house, borrowed tool in hand. Unlike the horrible one I was given last week, this one looks like it might actually do the job. We eagerly set to work. After more than an hour of hammering, spraying WD40, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering, lifting the nose off the ground, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering, dropping the nose back down, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering...
... we managed to remove one and a half of the wheels.
We removed the left rear and its adapter, so I happily bolted one of the Camaro wheels in its place. The left front wheel did finally release its wheel nut, but a few of the lug nuts are putting up a fight so the adapter is stubbornly still in place. We put the stupid wheel back on the car just so it can rest on its tires rather than sit on a floor jack (or jack stands) for a few days. By now it was past 11pm and we were worried the neighbors were going to really start hating me for all the loud hammering and clanging noises we were making.
I'll make another effort in a couple days. In the mean time, I'll be buying a can of PB Blaster to see if I can loosen things up a bit.
Oh, and in other news I replaced the valve cover gaskets on Friday. A new steering gear box is on its way; I plan to install that on Wednesday. If things go well, maybe I'll get to take this thing for its first actual drive later this week. Maybe.