VWVortex.com - Because Roadkill (yep--it means what you think it means, so come on in!)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Because Roadkill (yep--it means what you think it means, so come on in!)

1. 09-22-2015 02:09 AM #76
      UPDATE

A local Jeep friend knows a guy who is into lowriders, and that dude has the wheel removal tool I need. Tonight after I got home from work, my friend came down to my house, borrowed tool in hand. Unlike the horrible one I was given last week, this one looks like it might actually do the job. We eagerly set to work. After more than an hour of hammering, spraying WD40, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering, lifting the nose off the ground, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering, dropping the nose back down, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering...

... we managed to remove one and a half of the wheels.

We removed the left rear and its adapter, so I happily bolted one of the Camaro wheels in its place. The left front wheel did finally release its wheel nut, but a few of the lug nuts are putting up a fight so the adapter is stubbornly still in place. We put the stupid wheel back on the car just so it can rest on its tires rather than sit on a floor jack (or jack stands) for a few days. By now it was past 11pm and we were worried the neighbors were going to really start hating me for all the loud hammering and clanging noises we were making.

I'll make another effort in a couple days. In the mean time, I'll be buying a can of PB Blaster to see if I can loosen things up a bit.

Oh, and in other news I replaced the valve cover gaskets on Friday. A new steering gear box is on its way; I plan to install that on Wednesday. If things go well, maybe I'll get to take this thing for its first actual drive later this week. Maybe.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

Vehicles
      rare Volvo s40 t5 6m awd, very rare Accord 6-6 sedan, Montego blue 5M LSD NA.
      09-22-2015 02:15 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      UPDATE

A local Jeep friend knows a guy who is into lowriders, and that dude has the wheel removal tool I need. Tonight after I got home from work, my friend came down to my house, borrowed tool in hand. Unlike the horrible one I was given last week, this one looks like it might actually do the job. We eagerly set to work. After more than an hour of hammering, spraying WD40, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering, lifting the nose off the ground, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering, dropping the nose back down, more hammering, more WD40, more hammering...

We removed the left rear and its adapter, so I happily bolted one of the Camaro wheels in its place. The left front wheel did finally release its wheel nut, but a few of the lug nuts are putting up a fight so the adapter is stubbornly still in place. We put the stupid wheel back on the car just so it can rest on its tires rather than sit on a floor jack (or jack stands) for a few days. By now it was past 11pm and we were worried the neighbors were going to really start hating me for all the loud hammering and clanging noises we were making.

I'll make another effort in a couple days. In the mean time, I'll be buying a can of PB Blaster to see if I can loosen things up a bit.

Oh, and in other news I replaced the valve cover gaskets on Friday. A new steering gear box is on its way; I plan to install that on Wednesday. If things go well, maybe I'll get to take this thing for its first actual drive later this week. Maybe.

Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

3. 09-22-2015 11:03 AM #78
      In the morning sunlight, I took a quick picture of the new setup:

Last edited by TurboMinivan; 01-01-2017 at 07:47 PM.
      Dempsey Bowling
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-22-2015 11:30 AM #79
      UPDATE

This is why a 1/2" drive Ingersoll Rand impact gun was the first serious tool I bought (after the compressor, of course) and to this day gets used as much as anything else in my toolbox.

And good decision re: penetrating oil. WD40 is best left to the task its name implies: water displacement. FWIW, I've had better luck with Liquid Wrench than PB, and Kroil rules them all (but stinks...bad).

5. 09-22-2015 11:32 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      ... and Kroil rules them all
      Another Jeep friend suggested that to me this morning. Can I pick this stuff up at AutoZone?
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-22-2015 11:39 AM #81
      Another Jeep friend suggested that to me this morning. Can I pick this stuff up at AutoZone?
      Doubtful (at least I've never seen it at AZ around here). Good independent shops tend to carry it, and I've seen it at tractor supply/farm and fleet type places. If a chain store was going to have it, my guess would be NAPA.

09-22-2015 02:42 PM #82

Nice! I thought about picking up some of those wheels to keep from destroying the paint on my wheel well lips. THough I would do them in the color of my Camaro. I found a set in Wichita for only $150 with tires.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      2009 Mazda 6s
      09-23-2015 07:25 AM #83

Business up front, party in the back.
      "The Sebring is an extraordinary car. Ugly to behold and hateful to drive, it is not cheap, elegant, comfortable, practical, prestigious, clever, economical, luxurious, well designed, well thought out or, if the rental car I drove in America this year is anything to go by, especially well made either." - Jeremy Clarkson

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon
      09-23-2015 09:39 AM #84
      I had to order Kroil from amazon, couldn't find it locally. The stuff I got comes in a little can and reminds me of Brasso -

There's a slight chance you might find it a gun shop - call around to some gunsmiths. I had to buy a can to loosen up the pins in the rear sight block of a 1942 stamped Mosin Nagant rifle. It cut right through 70years of rust, dirt, grime, cosmoline, cabbage, borscht, etc. and got the pin out after a couple of applications. Previously I bent 3 steel punches trying to drive the pins out dry.
      Last edited by CoolWhiteWolfsburg; 09-23-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Vehicles
      Barbie Jeep Power Wheel
      09-23-2015 04:00 PM #85
      You can get it aerosol as well. I can't find a distributor list on their website, thought that's how I got it locally but I guess I just google searched.
      Last edited by The_Hamster; 09-23-2015 at 04:03 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '94 Ranger | '92 Golf | '88 Jetta
      09-23-2015 04:52 PM #86
      Really feeling the new wheel(s?)

Vehicles
      First world problems
      09-23-2015 04:58 PM #87
      Kroil or 50/50 acetone/atf
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 996 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit | TT - Colorless Wonder II Lives Again!
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

13. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '12 XC70 T6
      09-23-2015 05:34 PM #88

wow. you park it out front? your marriage is STRONG, my friend

14. 09-24-2015 01:13 AM #89
      ANOTHER (long) UPDATE

But first:

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      wow. you park it out front? your marriage is STRONG, my friend
      Yep, she hates it... but somebody needs to keep our local property values in check.

My new steering gear arrived yesterday, as planned. This morning I went outside at 9:30 am to begin the installation. Things were going well until I found out the pitman arm is held on by a 1 5/16" nut. I don't have any sockets or wrenches in that size. I found a friend with a wrench, so I took a 40-minute break to drive to his house and fetch it.

Back at my place, things proceeded for a few more minutes until I realized the pitman arm had become very good friends with the steering box over the last 35 years... and, as a result, they didn't want to say goodbye to each other. I had a pickle fork on hand, but it wasn't really doing any good at all. I began calling all over town to see if anybody had a pitman arm puller I could rent. I finally found one at a distant O'Reilly Auto, so I took an hour break to go get that (and some PB Blaster) and also have lunch.

Back at home, the puller wasn't working very well. Out of the blue, my wrench friend was driving in the area so he stopped by to see how things were going. He suggested I remove the gear box + pitman arm as a complete unit, which I did. In my garage, we struggled to remove the arm--I couldn't hold the box still while he applied sufficient torque to work the puller. I have no bench vice, so what to do? His gaze fell on my Jeep and its 35" tires. "Let's park the Jeep on top of it." So we did, and it worked great.

I began to install the arm on the new gearbox. Again, I couldn't hold the box steady to fully tighten the arm in place. We decided to install the new gearbox in the car, then I could finish tightening the arm. At this point, Dave had to leave... but my co-worker Mike showed up to take his place. With his assistance, I got the new gearbox mounted and everything was properly reassembled. We even got fancy and followed the suggestion in the instructions of flushing new fluid through the pump and the pressure line before attaching the lines to the new gearbox. I started the car to check for leaks. Everything looked good, so I shut it back down and installed the radiator fan and shroud. With Mike's help, I loosened the rest of the lug nuts on the left front, which let me remove the adapter and install the Chevy wheel on that corner. The driver's side now looked completely Caucasian.

It was 4 pm. Just when I thought Mike was gonna want to leave, he blurted out, "let's get these other wire wheels off here." He was a bit incredulous that they were so difficult to remove, even though I had told him the story about the other night. I invited him to try it for himself. He grabbed the borrowed tool and a hammer, and he quickly understood what I had been going on about--the center caps wouldn't budge. Just like Wayne and I did the other night, Mike and I began a routine of spraying PB, hammering, raising and lowering the car, etc. Just when I thought he was going to give up for good, the right rear cap moved. Barely, but measurably. We kept hammering. The cap kept turning, slowly. It was fighting us every millimeter of the way. Just as we were riding a wave of confidence that it was going to come off...

... the tool broke. It cracked all the way through, which then allowed it to 'open up' and slip around the cap rather than grab it properly. Now what? Mike has a mechanically-inclined friend who lives ~ 5 minutes from me, and that guy has a welder. Just as we were leaving to go there, Wayne (my friend who loaned me the tool) called--he wanted to come back and help me finish the job. He lives 45+ minutes away, so I told him to head my way while we went to fix the tool. As I expected, we returned to my house before Wayne showed up. Mike and I got right back to work. After maybe 10 more minutes of hammering--and just as Wayne pulled up...

... the tool broke. Again. In another spot. At this point, welding the tool seemed a temporary solution at best. Our anger levels were rising, so we abandoned the tool and got medieval instead: out came the punches and chisels, and we decided if the center caps needed to be destroyed, then so be it.

Mike taking out the day's frustrations on the right rear centercap:

Thankfully, our newfound tools of oppression were able to complete the removal of this cap, and soon I managed to have the third alloy wheel installed on the car.

It was just past 7pm, and I figured the other guys would want to stop since the tool was no longer usable. I guess I need to stop underestimating my friends, because they jumped right at the final wire wheel with a vengeance. Wayne got us started:

We managed to completely remove this final cap, and we were all overjoyed. As darkness set in around 8:15pm, I installed the final alloy wheel on the car. At last, mission accomplished. I'll snap a photo or two in the morning.

Success hasn't spoiled me yet.
      Last edited by TurboMinivan; 01-01-2017 at 07:51 PM.
      Dempsey Bowling

15. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Legacy, 87 GTI, 88 Shadow VT800C
      09-24-2015 01:41 AM #90
      nice, in for updates
      '87 GTI 1.8t, '98 Legacy EJ22, '88 Shadow VT800C
      '03 20th GTI #2100, '96 Ranger 4x2, '01 TT 180Q, '98 Ranger 4x4, '01 Catera, '90 GLI 16vT, '94 850 Turbo, '90 Golf, '89 Golf, '90 Mustang LX, '91 Jetta, '88 9000S, '86 Jetta, '91 Continental

Vehicles
      04 Chevy Blazer, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      09-24-2015 02:18 AM #91
      Very nice. I love the color, that's the same as my Olds that I had.
      I had that engine in Monte and in that it misfired so bad it eventually floated the valves and threw the timing off.
      Reading this thread has made me feel bad for not even doing anything to my car.

Sent from inside a trailer park

17. 09-24-2015 11:08 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Ghost85 View Post
      Reading this thread has made me feel bad for not even doing anything to my car.
      It looks like you still own your Monte Carlo... or does this sentence refer to your Olds?

As promised, another two phone pictures in its newly-current state:

Even if you've read the entire story, you still have no idea how significant these photos are. They represent over five hours of work. I am so happy.
      Last edited by TurboMinivan; 01-01-2017 at 07:56 PM.
      Dempsey Bowling

Vehicles
      2004 Passat 1.8T tip, 2010 Prius, 1993 Ranger
      09-24-2015 12:03 PM #93
      How bad do those doors sag? I remember how heavy and long those suckers are.

Vehicles
      2016 F150 Lariat, 2015 VW Jetta 1.8tsi
      09-24-2015 12:16 PM #94
      Nice work and nice car!
      " If your not breaking parts, your just not trying hard enough to win!"

Colin McRae, R.I.P

Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      09-24-2015 01:05 PM #95
      Nice man! I had a 78 with the 301 4bbl and it was thirsty and floaty but burnouts were worth it. I contemplated getting another one but ended up with a Z instead.

Vehicles
      04 Chevy Blazer, 84 Chevy Monte Carlo
      09-24-2015 04:23 PM #96
      It looks like you still own your Monte Carlo... or does this sentence refer to your Olds?
      I still have the Monte. I had an 87 Olds Cutlass 4 door with the 307.

Sent from inside a trailer park

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon, 2004 Maxima 3.5 SE
      09-24-2015 04:27 PM #97
      The OEM gold on those wheels doesn't look that bad with the blue.

23. 09-24-2015 04:42 PM #98
      I'm digging the new wheels
      "This couldn't possibly break, I'll put it way the **** down there." -every German car engineer.

24. 09-24-2015 04:45 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
      How bad do those doors sag?
      Hardly at all. I don't have to lift them when closing, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      The OEM gold on those wheels doesn't look that bad with the blue.
      The more I look at it, the more I agree. Someday I'll post a picture taken from a more favorable lighting angle.
      Dempsey Bowling

25. 09-27-2015 03:53 AM #100
      Another Update, -or- Tonight, This Happened

I've been non-stop busy with work and other activities for the last three days. This means I haven't had a chance to take the car for its maiden voyage. Now that the steering box has been replaced, I believe nothing else is leaking... so let's go for a spin!

It was 11:30 pm when I started the car. (Yes, today was another long day.) I idled a few minutes to check one more time for any leaks; seeing none, I decided we were good to go. Since I didn't know what to expect, I had to act as if disaster was going to strike--in other words, no banzai high-speed freeway runs. I decided to stick to slower, traffic-free roads very close to my house. Not wanting to go too far, I did the only thing that made sense: I went to a nearby gas station to rinse off the engine bay (and the rest of the car as well).

After that, why not pull around to one of the pumps for another five gallons of ethanol-free swill?

From there, I simply took a slightly longer route back home. Total distance traveled: 3.6 miles. Not my longest road trip, to be sure, but nevertheless it was sufficient for me to notice the following:

- headlights are not aimed properly
      - speedometer doesn't work
      - fuel gauge also seems to not work (it didn't budge after I added 5 gallons)
      - it probably needs an alignment
      - the seatbelt cuts into my neck really bad--I'll definitely need to address this somehow
      - at idle, this things sounds eerily similar to Christine when she drives herself back to the shop after being burned

At any rate, it's progress... and it feels good.

In other news, I've found a donor vehicle for sale locally that might provide me with an engine and transmission to swap. If I can strike a deal, I'll certainly mention it here.
      Last edited by TurboMinivan; 01-01-2017 at 08:00 PM.
      Dempsey Bowling

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast