VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Front Blower Motor Replacememnt

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  firebrick 
#1 · (Edited)
Removing the Blower Fan Unit...

Greetings,
The heater core blew up on my '00 MV last winter and I reluctantly tackle the job of replacing it. And while I was at it, I replaced the resister and the blower fan also even though they were giving zero issues. About 6 months forward...this summer, I noticed that the new fan is starting to make squeak every time the AC is on!! Not a happy camper.

My question to you all is whether it is possible to replace the blower fan WITHOUT removing the dash. No doubt removing the dash assembly would be the easiest way to access the blower fan but I really do not care to do the job again. I am really unable to find a clear answer online to see if it is all possible to replace the fan by removing the passenger airbag and the knee pad below. Has anyone have experience with this job? Do I really have to endure the PIA job of complete dash tear down again?...I REALLY HOPE NOT!!!:( ...OR is there anyway I can access the bearings/bushings in the motor to either re-lubricate them or replacing them without removing the entire fan unit?

#2 ·
Anyone, please? :)

Greetings,
The heater core blew up on my '00 MV last winter and I reluctantly tackle the job of replacing it. And while I was at it, I replaced the resister and the blower fan also even though they were giving zero issues. About 6 months forward...this summer, I noticed that the new fan is starting to make squeak every time the AC is on!! Not a happy camper.

My question to you all is whether it is possible to replace the blower fan WITHOUT removing the dash. No doubt removing the dash assembly would be the easiest way to access the blower fan but I really do not care to do the job again. I am really unable to find a clear answer online to see if it is all possible to replace the fan by removing the passenger airbag and the knee pad below. Has anyone have experience with this job? Do I really have to endure the PIA job of complete dash tear down again?...I REALLY HOPE NOT!!!:( ...OR is there anyway I can access the bearings/bushings in the motor to either re-lubricate them or replacing them without removing the entire fan unit?

#3 ·
I haven't done this job - but seeing as you have already removed the dash once, you may know better than most if it can be done or not. ;)

You can check out this old thread (see link below) from the Bentley forum. In it, forum member RDWalker describes how he removed the heater core without removing the dash - instead going through the footwell.

Linkage: http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?messageID=408025

#4 ·
Thank you for the reply, Moto. I have read this particular link you shared and it is the one that convinced me to take the dash apart for the heater core job. After going thorough the process, I KNOW replacing the heater core without the dash is the only way to go, at least for EVs. It was just a tedious and time consuming job!

Unlike the heater core, blower fan sits on the spot where it "seems" very accessible...you can clearly see it and you can even take off some of the fasteners on the plain sight behind the airbag. The trouble is there is a metal brace that runs across the width of the bus in between the airbag cavity of the dash and the knee pad opening below. Clearly, the blower would not fit through the airbag cavity but there may be a way to drop it behind the brace and remove it through the knee pad opening.

I suppose I am being a bit lazy...I was just hoping someone to say: Hey I have done it that way and here are the steps! I usually don't function too well if I tackle the job unplanned and without knowing what to expect...but perhaps, I just need to jump on it, document it and be the guy to tell someone someday, "Hey you can do it this way."

I VERY MUCH enjoy your thread on Lucille...good job!! I will follow every steps of the conversion process as I would love to convert my "Papa Bus" with MT someday!!

Cheers,

#5 ·
On my RHD van...the fan body can be removed into the footwell area by undoing two or three screws under and through the glovebox and removing the pollen filter mounting (two bolts) in the engine bay. About a 10 minute job...most of which is plastic wrestling.

What it might take in a LHD vehicle...no idea

#6 ·
Yes, looking at the new replacement part, it looks like the housing and fan/motor assembly can be separated. So, I am hoping I can remove the gut thorough the cabin filter housing...I will try it. In theory, RHD is just the mirror image of the LHD, correct? Oh, I hope it will be a 10min job. :D Thank you for the reply, Seano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.