VWVortex.com - Ready to buy a Nikon DSLR in 30 days.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 25 of 25

    Thread: Ready to buy a Nikon DSLR in 30 days.

    1. 09-15-2015 11:26 AM #1
      Base on needs - Nikon D3300 is all I need.

      Base on want - Nikon D7200. The larger size feels better in my hand.

      I keep my cameras over 10+ years. In fact, if my current D50 was to focus a bit faster and does better in low lighting I would still want to keep it. If I have something like a D90, I would not be looking today.

      Do you think D7200 will better protect me from being tech obsolete in the future vs. getting a D3300?

      I have no future plans to grow my skills or do anything advance.

      TIA

    2. Member DasCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2009
      Location
      West Coast
      Posts
      8,169
      Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      09-15-2015 01:49 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
      Base on needs - Nikon D3300 is all I need.

      Base on want - Nikon D7200. The larger size feels better in my hand.

      I keep my cameras over 10+ years. In fact, if my current D50 was to focus a bit faster and does better in low lighting I would still want to keep it. If I have something like a D90, I would not be looking today.

      Do you think D7200 will better protect me from being tech obsolete in the future vs. getting a D3300?

      I have no future plans to grow my skills or do anything advance.

      TIA

      As an owner of a D3300 I'd try and stretch out for the D7200. I wouldn't worry about obsolescence on either although with the 7200 you can use AF lenses vs being limited to AF-S lenses on the 3300.

    3. 09-15-2015 10:16 PM #3
      Why not buy a D610 or something instead?

    4. Member ixamnis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2015
      Location
      Center of the Universe
      Posts
      181
      Vehicles
      2013 Mustang Convertible, Mustang Club of America Edition; 2016 GMC Acadia SLT
      09-29-2015 10:21 PM #4
      It looks like the D3300, the D5300 and the D7200 all use the same sensor and have very similar specs. You might try the D5300 and see how it feels. It's priced about halfway between the other two. I don't know how it compares in terms of size and feel, but it may meet your needs.

    5. Member XClayX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2005
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      4,781
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX5 Touring AWD, 2001 W.E Jetta
      10-01-2015 10:16 PM #5
      The D5500 has a different grip then the D5300, just pointing that out as they look the same but they are not.

    6. Member GolfTango's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2001
      Location
      Not Fancy, CT
      Posts
      9,628
      Vehicles
      '13 Suzuki Kizashi S Manuel, '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      10-06-2015 03:00 PM #6
      Is there a need for wi-fi, or are you into action photography where buffer speed is a priority? If no, I'd say go for the D7100 and save a few $.

    7. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      7,060
      Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      10-14-2015 03:24 PM #7
      Definitely go for the D7200; you'll really notice the difference.

      The D3xxx series is extremely basic. They get the job done but will quickly leave any moderately-serious photographer wanting.

      The D7xxx series is more than enough for most people; they're quite advanced in every area. If you plan to keep this camera for a long time, you should definitely get something that will allow your skills to grow.

      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Is there a need for wi-fi, or are you into action photography where buffer speed is a priority? If no, I'd say go for the D7100 and save a few $.
      Bigger buffer and Wi-Fi aren't the only improvements from 7100 to 7200.

      The main things are the change from the EXPEED 3 to EXPEED 4 processor, and the upgrade to the focus system, which is said to focus 1 EV lower (from -2 EV to -3 EV---a huge difference). The OP mentioned faster and better focus in low light--well, there you go.
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 9/26]

    8. Member GolfTango's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2001
      Location
      Not Fancy, CT
      Posts
      9,628
      Vehicles
      '13 Suzuki Kizashi S Manuel, '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      10-15-2015 01:25 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Definitely go for the D7200; you'll really notice the difference.

      The D3xxx series is extremely basic. They get the job done but will quickly leave any moderately-serious photographer wanting.

      The D7xxx series is more than enough for most people; they're quite advanced in every area. If you plan to keep this camera for a long time, you should definitely get something that will allow your skills to grow.



      Bigger buffer and Wi-Fi aren't the only improvements from 7100 to 7200.

      The main things are the change from the EXPEED 3 to EXPEED 4 processor, and the upgrade to the focus system, which is said to focus 1 EV lower (from -2 EV to -3 EV---a huge difference). The OP mentioned faster and better focus in low light--well, there you go.
      My 7100 focuses pretty quickly in low light. Never had an issue.

    9. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      7,060
      Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      10-18-2015 02:02 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      My 7100 focuses pretty quickly in low light. Never had an issue.
      Cool.

      But I guarantee the 7200 focuses faster and in even lower light

      I rented a D7100...and was not impressed by the difference over my D90. I bought a D750 (which, like the D7200, also focuses down to -3 EV, but has the slightly more advanced EXPEED 4A processor) and that blows my mind at how fast it focuses and how little light it needs


      This reminds me of a discussion I had in TCL once. My point was that having tons of horsepower gets boring very fast, to which someone replied, "Nothing ever gets boring with 650 horsepower!" Oh yeah? How about being destroyed in a straight line by someone with 900 horsepower? The relevant point in this analogy being that yes, your D7100 is great and definitely gets the job done, but technology has moved on and the new cameras are even better
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 9/26]

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,924
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-19-2015 07:18 PM #10
      I just bought a D70 for under $100. I bet it still takes really great pictures.

    11. Member GolfTango's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 15th, 2001
      Location
      Not Fancy, CT
      Posts
      9,628
      Vehicles
      '13 Suzuki Kizashi S Manuel, '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      10-20-2015 10:37 AM #11
      OP, I'm selling my D7100, less than 7K shutter actuations. Perfect. $650, see classified sticky.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2015
      Location
      chandler, az
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      07 a3 3.2
      01-30-2016 02:27 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      I bought a D750 (which, like the D7200, also focuses down to -3 EV, but has the slightly more advanced EXPEED 4A processor) and that blows my mind at how fast it focuses and how little light it needs
      my fiancé got me a d750 for christmas. got some new glass, too. lovin' d750!

    13. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      7,060
      Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      01-30-2016 05:03 PM #13
      ^ Awesome! I love my D750 What len(ses) did you get?
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 9/26]

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2015
      Location
      chandler, az
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      07 a3 3.2
      01-30-2016 08:23 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      ^ Awesome! I love my D750 What len(ses) did you get?
      in addition to our d600 w/ 50f1.8, 85f1.8, and 28f2.8...

      50f1.4
      70-200f2.8
      as well as zoom h6 (audio recorder) and a lowepro rolling case to hold all the gear.

      obviously, i shoot more video than photos, but my fiancé is the photog between the two of us.

      was definitely a good christmas in our household.

      do you shoot photos or videos? or both?

    15. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      7,060
      Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      01-30-2016 09:35 PM #15
      Those are all Nikon lenses right?

      I have the 50mm f/1.4G and 70-200mm f/2.8.

      I don't shoot any video though...I love editing video, but it's wayyyy too labor-intensive for me. Plus I feel like I'm way behind the curve as far as tech goes. I took out the McLaren 570S press car with a video group and they had a DJI Ronin and Phantom plus a Steadicam vest
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 9/26]

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2015
      Location
      chandler, az
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      07 a3 3.2
      01-31-2016 12:59 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Those are all Nikon lenses right?

      I have the 50mm f/1.4G and 70-200mm f/2.8.

      I don't shoot any video though...I love editing video, but it's wayyyy too labor-intensive for me. Plus I feel like I'm way behind the curve as far as tech goes. I took out the McLaren 570S press car with a video group and they had a DJI Ronin and Phantom plus a Steadicam vest
      absolutely, they're all nikon.

      the 50f1.4 is a sick SICK lens, and the 70-200 is my go-to lens. i've always loved it (used to rent it all the time).

      i love shooting and editing video. photos...it's a cool hobby and has made me some money, but videos is where my heart is.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,924
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      01-31-2016 08:34 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Those are all Nikon lenses right?

      I have the 50mm f/1.4G and 70-200mm f/2.8.

      I don't shoot any video though...I love editing video, but it's wayyyy too labor-intensive for me. Plus I feel like I'm way behind the curve as far as tech goes. I took out the McLaren 570S press car with a video group and they had a DJI Ronin and Phantom plus a Steadicam vest
      I switched from a 5D MKII to a D750. Sold my Canon 24-70 f/2.8, 16-40 f/4, and 70-200 f/2.8 and bought Nikon equivalents. Didn't cost me much to switch. Also picked up a Phantom 3P a few weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet though. I'm excited at what I can possibly do with it.
      Last edited by Village Idiot™; 01-31-2016 at 03:15 PM.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2015
      Location
      chandler, az
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      07 a3 3.2
      01-31-2016 04:07 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      I switched from a 5D MKII to a D750. Sold my Canon 24-70 f/2.8, 16-40 f/4, and 70-200 f/2.8 and bought Nikon equivalents. Didn't cost me much to switch. Also picked up a Phantom 3P a few weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet though. I'm excited at what I can possibly do with it.
      i was on a 5dmk2 and 5dmk3 w/ a 24-70 and 70-200 as well (work gear). decided to stick w/ nikon outside of the office, mainly for lowlight performance and 1080/60p.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,924
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      02-01-2016 10:17 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by jumalian View Post
      i was on a 5dmk2 and 5dmk3 w/ a 24-70 and 70-200 as well (work gear). decided to stick w/ nikon outside of the office, mainly for lowlight performance and 1080/60p.
      The 5D MKII was hurting me during weddings. The AF was spotty in low light and compared to the D750, the DR was pretty crappy. Not to mention, after shooting the D750 for a while I realize that the noise in a high ISO or recovered 5D MKII file is not pretty. It's patterned, has high chromatic aberrations, and just doesn't even compare to film where as the D750 noise does. At that time the 5D MKIII was still over $3,000. Other than missing 1/8000 shutter speed (which has never really been much of an issue for me anyways, I couldn't see any negatives. So I started the pretty scary process of selling everything and buying into a new system. It has paid off though. My keep rate has gone up and I think I'm shooting better than I used to.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2015
      Location
      chandler, az
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      07 a3 3.2
      02-02-2016 10:49 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post
      My keep rate has gone up and I think I'm shooting better than I used to.
      that's awesome and at the end of the day, that's what matters!

      i did an ISO test video in my home office w/ a dim light.



      as you can see, it's still pretty usable at ISO8000...unheard of on the mk2 or mk3.

    21. 02-12-2016 11:30 AM #21
      I'll post my question back in my old thread.

      The D7200 (being newer) will meter the lighting better. There are more metering spots (compare to D50).

      In P mode, I notice that even in bright and good lighting, the D7200 flash would pop up. Why is that? Is it because the camera senses shadows and dark spots?

      The solution is to not shoot in P. But there are times P works best.

      Any tips or suggestions?
      Last edited by GoLowDrew; 02-12-2016 at 12:03 PM.

    22. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      7,060
      Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      02-12-2016 11:47 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
      Any tips or suggestions?
      P is useless. Shoot in A or S
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 9/26]

    23. Member DasCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2009
      Location
      West Coast
      Posts
      8,169
      Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      02-12-2016 01:11 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      P is useless. Shoot in A or S
      useless is a bit harsh. while its generally better to use A/S/M there are instances when you need to capture the moment quickly and don't have the time to dial in your settings.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2015
      Location
      chandler, az
      Posts
      133
      Vehicles
      07 a3 3.2
      02-12-2016 09:33 PM #24
      my fiancé said P is for pussies.

      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      useless is a bit harsh. while its generally better to use A/S/M there are instances when you need to capture the moment quickly and don't have the time to dial in your settings.
      it could be a bit harsh, but it's true. if you're in A or S, you wouldn't necessarily miss capturing the moment as the cam does the work on half of it.

    25. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      7,060
      Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      02-16-2016 11:30 PM #25
      Hey, sometimes the truth is harsh. This is one of those times.

      By claiming that P has any use at all, you are admitting that there are times when you're holding your DSLR and yet you're so unprepared for the shot that you have literally no idea what aperture or shutter speed you want. How is this possible?

      The vast majority of the time, it's logical to shoot in A: you control the depth of field, and let the camera do the rest. Shutter too slow? Bump the ISO. Odd conditions or artistic preference? Exposure compensation.

      If you're trying to freeze motion for a specific amount of time, you shoot in S. You control how long the shutter is open, and the camera does the rest.

      If you're trying to do something special or you like being old school, you shoot in M.

      If you have no idea what you're doing, you shoot in Auto. Or P.

      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 9/26]

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    « Back