VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 476 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: EPA Orders VW to recall nearly 500,000 vehicles

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-18-2015 12:12 PM #1
      Whoops. Looks like our '12 TDI will be headed to the dealer in the next few months...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/bu...T.nav=top-news

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
      Volkswagen Is Ordered to Recall Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Emissions Software
      By CORAL DAVENPORTSEPT. 18, 2015

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday ordered Volkswagen to recall nearly a half million cars from the road, saying the German automaker used software intentionally designed to circumvent environmental standards for reducing smog.

The Environmental Protection Agency issued the company a notice of violation and accused the company of breaking the law by installing software known as a “defeat device” in 4-cylinder Volkswagen and Audi vehicles from model years 2009-15. The device is programmed to detect when the car is undergoing official emissions testing, and to only turn on full emissions control systems during that testing. Those controls are turned off during normal driving situations, when the vehicles pollute far more heavily than reported by the manufacturer, the E.P.A. said.

“Using a defeat device in cars to evade clean air standards is illegal and a threat to public health,” said Cynthia Giles, the E.P.A.’s assistant administrator for the Office of Enforcement and Compliance. “Working closely with the California Air Resources Board, E.P.A. is committed to making sure that all automakers play by the same rules. E.P.A. will continue to investigate these very serious violations.”

Continue reading the main story
      Breaking News Alerts
      Sign up to receive an email from The New York Times as soon as important news breaks around the world.

The software was designed to conceal the cars’ emissions of the pollutant nitrogen oxide, which contributes to the creation of ozone and smog. The pollutants are linked to a range of health problems, including asthma attacks and other respiratory diseases.

The state of California has issued a separate notice of violation to the company. California, the E.P.A. and the Justice Department are working together on an investigation of the allegations.

The allegations cover roughly 482,000 diesel passenger cars sold in the United States since 2009.

Affected diesel models include the Volkswagen Jetta (model years 2009-15), Volkswagen Beetle (model years 2009–15), Audi A3 (model years 2009–15), Volkswagen Golf (model years 2009–15) and Volkswagen Passat (model years 2014-15).

The notice of violation is part of a broader, more aggressive enforcement effort by federal environmental regulators on the auto industry. Analysts said it was meant to send a clear message to automakers that they will be harshly treated for compromising federal rules.

It follows a November 2014 announcement of the administration’s largest-ever penalty for a violation of the Clean Air Act, in which the government fined the Korean automakers Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors a combined $300 million as part of a settlement for overstating vehicle fuel-economy standards on 1.2 million cars.

“They want to make it clear that they’re going to crack down on cheaters,” said Frank O’Donnell, president of the environmental advocacy group Clean Air Watch. “They’re cheating not only car buyers but the breathing public. They want to lay down the law, enforce the law, and show they’re not going to tolerate cheaters. The laws and regulation are only as good as the enforcement.”
      Last edited by Numbersix; 09-18-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Vehicles
      Golf 7 R, NA Miata, Ford Ranger
      09-18-2015 12:14 PM #2
      Wow. That's all I have right now. Wow.

3. 09-18-2015 12:15 PM #3
      Recall as in reprogram?

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-18-2015 12:16 PM #4
      Vague article is vague.

I'm concerned that an ECU reprogram that more aggressively controls for NOx could mean poorer drivability or shorter DPF life...but that's just owner anxiety talking.

Vehicles
      Golf 7 R, NA Miata, Ford Ranger
      09-18-2015 12:19 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Vague article is vague.

I'm concerned that an ECU reprogram that more aggressively controls for NOx could mean poorer drivability or shorter DPF life...but that's just owner anxiety talking.
      If I still had my Mk5 TDI I probably would not take the car in for the recall. Not at least until a ton of other people did.
      Last edited by Smigelski; 09-18-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT PP
      09-18-2015 12:19 PM #6
      This is only for diesels, is that right?

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      09-18-2015 12:21 PM #7
      If I owned a VW in the recall, I probably wouldn't bother bringing it in.

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      09-18-2015 12:22 PM #8
      Vague article is vague.

probably a reasonable concern.

i wonder if this explains why mine would mysteriously go into terrible idling mode after i came to the first or second stop light following a hot start

id love to hear more about how they (the epa) discovered this.
      i know ive run across similar things benchmarking before, but it takes a lot of digging to confirm...

9. 09-18-2015 12:22 PM #9
      Wow... VWs can barely tell that they're running or not running. Now EPA claims that the car knows when it's being emissions tested... sounds like crappy reporting to me.

Vehicles
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      09-18-2015 12:24 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      If I owned a VW in the recall, I probably wouldn't bother bringing it in.
      I was thinking the same thing, but I have a feeling that states will make sure that the affected VINs will be part of a verification database when they go to register each year/next years registration.

thank goodness my VW diesel is the V6, and is NOT part of this recall
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-18-2015 12:28 PM #11
      My guess is if you're still under warranty, they would reflash it anytime you take the car in for anything.

I agree that I'll be advising we hold off on having it reflashed...in fact, I'm going to get the car in for an oil change ASAP ahead of the recall campaign.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      09-18-2015 12:29 PM #12
      Hahahahaha.

Part of me wants to yell "bad Volkswagen! Bad! Bad!" and part of me wants to yell "Stupid EPA! Stupid! Stupid!"

A buddy of mine just got a notice that he might have to send his GTI back to CA for some sort of testing. I bet the gasoline cars are about to get recalled, too.

So as much as I want to yell at VW, this is pretty ingenious and hysterical at the same time. And the fact that it has taken EPA and CARB so long to catch on to the fact that that their test cycles are pretty predictable and could easily be faked out with creative tuning is pretty lame. I mean, I would guess that VW just got caught. What if everyone (GM, Toyota, etc) is doing this?

OMG, the ****storm that is about to ensue at NHTSA is going to be epic.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

09-18-2015 12:30 PM #13
      So basically ... every single VW TDI ever since they launched their "clean diesel" campaign to coincide with the US introducing ultra-low sulfur diesel?

Vehicles
      Current: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT Was: 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-18-2015 12:31 PM #14
      I've heard about stuff like this from my friends who does a lot of vehicle engine testing in the past. I am sure VW is not the only one. Because the parameter of the EPA testing is well known and specific the car can basically guess when it is under test and do things differently....I'd be curious is more will come to light...

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta Turbo die...gas. Definitely gas
      09-18-2015 12:33 PM #15
      My 2013 TDI has no DPF
      Welcome to the MK6 forums:
      plastidip, rep audi wheels, plastidip, "How do I make my Jetta S have 600hp?", and my personal favorite, custom plastidipped hubcaps

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      09-18-2015 12:33 PM #16
      So it's only a recall? I would have expected a heavy fine at the very least. This has happened before with other automakers. Will they ever learn?

Vehicles
      '16 GTI, a NOx Box, a CUV appliance and something everyone needs
      09-18-2015 12:33 PM #17
      I wonder if this related to the letter I got from VW a month or so ago, telling me to bring my car in for a software update related to emissions?

18. 09-18-2015 12:34 PM #18
      Whoops. Looks like our '12 TDI will be headed to the dealer in the next few months...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/bu...T.nav=top-news
      Volkswagen has some fixing to do for sure. But what is up with the NY Times saying "The Obama Administration on Friday ordered..."? The EPA on Friday ordered... is the correct line. Lots of other "administration" references as well. This was the EPA investigating this in cooperation with CARB. Why turn everything into a political mess and get more people stirred up? How about reporting facts and leaving the drama and political nonsense out of it?

Off soapbox...

19. Banned
      Vehicles
      99 Passat 1.8Tm, 04 Passat 1.8Tm
      09-18-2015 12:36 PM #19
      Probably related to the regen cycle (using urea compounds) for the NOx catalyst. The EPA emissions test doesn't run long enough to allow the auto-regen cycle for the NOx catalyst to be completed...thus the recall/fines.

IMHO, it's more a signal that the EPA needs to amend their testing method for these cars. A bit of a situation, but valid, nonetheless.
      Last edited by Electron Man; 09-18-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Vehicles
      1985 Jetta GL 5MT, 1991 Jetta GL 3AT, 1973 Gran Torino station wagon
      09-18-2015 12:36 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by You'reDrunk View Post
      I was thinking the same thing, but I have a feeling that states will make sure that the affected VINs will be part of a verification database when they go to register each year/next years registration.

thank goodness my VW diesel is the V6, and is NOT part of this recall
      Geez, that's overkill.

Vehicles
      2015 e-Golf, 2008 Toyota Highlander
      09-18-2015 12:37 PM #21
      Wait, I thought there was no smog on Diesels?
      2015 e-Golf, 2008 Toyota Highlander, 2015 Honda Grom

22. 09-18-2015 12:37 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Hahahahaha.

Part of me wants to yell "bad Volkswagen! Bad! Bad!" and part of me wants to yell "Stupid EPA! Stupid! Stupid!"

A buddy of mine just got a notice that he might have to send his GTI back to CA for some sort of testing. I bet the gasoline cars are about to get recalled, too.

So as much as I want to yell at VW, this is pretty ingenious and hysterical at the same time. And the fact that it has taken EPA and CARB so long to catch on to the fact that that their test cycles are pretty predictable and could easily be faked out with creative tuning is pretty lame. I mean, I would guess that VW just got caught. What if everyone (GM, Toyota, etc) is doing this?

OMG, the ****storm that is about to ensue at NHTSA is going to be epic.

This.

Rumor had it that another manufacturer ratted them out. Will be interesting to see how many of them do this to skirt around the technical rules. VW got caught and now has a mess to straighten out. What if there is no easy solution to make these cars compliant? It will also be interesting to see who falls for this within VW. Did a small group of engineers know about it? Or a larger group that goes higher up the food chain?

Vehicles
      2 Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      09-18-2015 12:38 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      But what is up with the NY Times saying "The Obama Administration on Friday ordered..."?
      Thanks, Obama.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Vehicles
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      09-18-2015 12:39 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by PJtree23 View Post
      Recall as in reprogram?
      Yes.

The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-18-2015 12:40 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      Volkswagen has some fixing to do for sure. But what is up with the NY Times saying "The Obama Administration on Friday ordered..."? The EPA on Friday ordered... is the correct line. Lots of other "administration" references as well. This was the EPA investigating this in cooperation with CARB. Why turn everything into a political mess and get more people stirred up? How about reporting facts and leaving the drama and political nonsense out of it?

Off soapbox...
      Newsflash - the Obama Administration currently runs all the executive branch agenices.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 476 123451151101 ... LastLast