VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ram Planning Full-Sized BOF SUV Not Based on Upcoming Grand Wagoneer

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Vuck Folkswagen 
#1 · (Edited)
The next generation Ram 1500 will likely spawn its own "Suburban/Tahoe" derivative. This vehicle will be body on frame, Ram-based, and thereby won't be a sibling to Jeep's upcoming Grand Wagoneer SUV.

Fiat Chrysler Automobile's Ram truck brand is seriously considering the introduction of a new SUV model that would compete against the likes of the Chevrolet Suburban and Ford Expedition, the automaker's chief executive revealed on Wednesday.

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne dropped the news during a conference call discussing the company's third-quarter results. Machionne indicated Ram was planning an SUV spin-off based on the company's next-generation pickup truck model.

"I think we have a unique opportunity with renewal of the pickup line, with the powertrains we selected, to significantly increase output," Marchionne said, according to Automotive News. "We will also be exploring, as a result of that investment, some other segments."

Marchionne added that the Ram SUV would not be related to the Jeep Grand Wagoneer planned for 2019, which will compete in the luxury segment against the Land Rover Range Rover. "I don't think anybody who buys a large SUV is confusing it with a Range Rover," he said.

The SUV would be Ram's first since its separation from the Dodge brand in 2009. It would also be FCA's first large body-on-frame SUV since the discontinuation of the second-generation Dodge Durango in 2009.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ram-mulling-fullsize-suv-90089.html#ixzz3pxIV1484

See less See more
#7 ·
This makes sense as long as it doesn't cost much to develop. This will allow the Durango to become more of a crossover.

The current Expedition is just a stop gap; a fully modern Expedition and Navigator is coming.

#11 ·
I do as well, but wonder what powertrains they will use. The EcoDiesel works decent in the JGC, but on the forums I'm on for the EcoDiesel, many JGC owners are begging for a little more power. Not sure how a heavier BOV type SUV would work with the current EcoDiesel. The turbo on the current motor is nearly maxed out as it is. Don't get me wrong I love the motor in my RAM, and it's purpose for my business use, but it's a little sluggish off the line, and when passing at highway speeds.

#20 ·
I imagine the ECODiesel will be the most "popular" and then theyll probably offer a Hemi version yea?

Only if the entry price is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the GM full-sizers. Those trucks are great, people love them and are repeat-buyers.
Well, right now in my area the average price for a GMC Sierra or a Chevy Silverado is about 35-37K, and a few nice ones for $40K+
And the average Dodge Ram is the same; $35-37K, few nice ones for $40K+

So do you think they would be any less than that?

#10 · (Edited)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.