The Car Lounge
    Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 LastLast
    Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1343

Thread: Continental Mark II engine compartment freshening

1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 11:28 PM #1226
      While my situation is quite different, I've had to make some of my own adjustments over the past couple of years. Sometimes that really gets you down.

...Try not to let it. Sometimes I fail in that task, but I continue to try.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (sold), 1956 Cadillac Eldo Biarritz, 1957 Cadillac Eldo Brougham
      05-20-2017 02:41 AM #1227
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I misunderstood completely. I thought he was talking about the larger perforations in the inner deck lid. Please post a shot of the inside of your trunk lid. I think people will be astounded.
      When I saw the holes from this perspective, I was amazed too that the holes for the letters were not evenly spaced; I did not notice that before.
      I did not do the holes in my trunk lid. As before, I cannot put a picture in that forum as my pictures are not stored outside of my computer. I'll send one to you; if you have the feeling that it can be shown, do it!

05-20-2017 09:40 AM #1228
      Roger's 1:12 scale trunk lid.

I sent Roger a sample of the engine paint sprayed on cardboard. He needed to find some in Switzerland as aerosol cans are restricted cargo and extremely expensive to ship. The blue paint is a sample of the body color.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (sold), 1956 Cadillac Eldo Biarritz, 1957 Cadillac Eldo Brougham
      05-20-2017 10:04 AM #1229
      Maybe I owe an explanation or two. The holes in my lid are for the emblem. They are larger to suit the tools. I did not do the holes for the letters because they will be glued on the lid. If I find necessary to have them (that spot will be barely seen when the trunk lid is wide open), I will do black dots.
      The primer is just sprayed; it must be sanded for the color coat.
      I'm still not convinced by this blue paint (a VW one); another paint, from Opel this time, is in back order. There are many blue paints available on the market, unfortunately, the metallic content is too pronounced for a scale model.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-22-2017 09:57 AM #1230
      Actually, a Duesenberg.
      I'm sure it would be a Duesy of a ride.

And most people don't realize that's where that expression came from.
      DCIVW
      CE.

05-25-2017 02:35 PM #1231
      Another simple task turned time consuming. It looks like the adhesive they used was the same stuff they install modern windshields with. It was incredibly tough to remove from the paint, but easily peeled off the rubber gasket. It also appears they never prepared the seal surface and the spots where it didn't adhere still have the manufacturing talc on them. We'll probably use fresh mineral spirits to melt off the top few molecules and adhere it with 3M weatherstrip adhesive, unless someone else has a suggestion. I've found it works poorly when used as a glue, but works best if you use it as a contact cement.

The paint damage was so extensive and the small pits of rust so pervasive Dave ground the surface clean and sprayed a new coat of paint on the trunk lip.

Dave found 3 types of adhesive on the trunk lid.

Test fit the trunk carpet kit. It should be a breeze to install with the lid out of the way. Everything overlaps and has finished edges. It's much more forgiving.

Vehicles
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. The wife: 2016 Honda CR-V Special Edition
      05-25-2017 04:25 PM #1232
      So is the owner okay with this taking almost two years to complete? I can only guess how much money this will cost him. And in the end, will it be worth it, financially? What are these things worth?

Great work, BTW! Awesome attention to detail.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

05-25-2017 05:10 PM #1233
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      So is the owner okay with this taking almost two years to complete? I can only guess how much money this will cost him. And in the end, will it be worth it, financially? What are these things worth?

Great work, BTW! Awesome attention to detail.
      Actually, haven't heard from the owner in a while. I've been carrying the cost to finish it. Nobody is happy with the speed at which it's being finished, least of all me, as I'm barely covering my utility costs on the project. Dave is working directly for Jim. I am but the financial conduit, helper and facilitator. And raconteur. If you go back to the beginning I wasn't supposed to work on it at all. I was just going to tell the story. In fact, I was still walking with a cane when this "engine compartment refreshing" came in. The only reason I got involved physically was to develop a seat belt installation kit.

On the question of whether it's a financial value, or not, is one for the owner to decide. They have been selling well at auction, but I don't believe that was ever his intent. His goal, and ours, all along was to make it safe and reliable. They love to drive it and show it. Unfortunately, hardly anything worked and everything needed to come apart for inspection and replacement of rock-hard grease. That made it reliable. Making it safe was a little more difficult as everything was worn just enough to make everything sloppy. Had we known about the bent body that would have saved a lot of time and had we known that every rubber part had deteriorated beyond use and had we known that someone used a full tube of sealant to close up the transmission things might have gone differently, indeed. But they didn't. Everyone can see that. Had the word "overspray" not become part of my vocabulary things would have been a lot easier.

For what was accomplished in an average of Dave's 20 hours a week I think we've matched the overall time of an average restoration. Last I heard Jim had a Corvette in restoration that's taken as long and has cost as much as the Mark II. Also, keep in mind that it would have been far simpler to mechanically restore the Ruxton or a Duesenberg than it was to do this car. For it's time it's packed with lots of technology in a very small space so the complexity was on a different level than many period cars. The leap in complexity between the Ruxton and the Mark II is a leap about equal to the Mark II and a modern car, but still complicated for the time. I think Dave's skill sets were put to the task. He deserves a lot of credit.

I am happy with the results. It looks really good. By putting everything back where it belonged the car looks right again. Everyone that's seen it that knows about these thinks we've done a damn fine job for a hobby shop. I've only had Dave working her 2-3 days a week as he has other customers for his independent mobile automotive service. I just gave him a space where he didn't have to crawl around on the ground for a living. he also didn't have to punch a clock. He typically comes in at 3:00 pm and stay until 3:00am. Many of the photos I post are his, used to document his progress. A plus for him is that my shop is air-conditioned, an important factor when you're as old and worn as we are.

I'm glad it's nearly done. Time for Jim and Phyllis to start enjoying it.
      Last edited by barry2952; 05-25-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Vehicles
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. The wife: 2016 Honda CR-V Special Edition
      05-26-2017 08:22 AM #1234
      Actually, haven't heard from the owner in a while. I've been carrying the cost to finish it. Nobody is happy with the speed at which it's being finished, least of all me, as I'm barely covering my utility costs on the project. Dave is working directly for Jim. I am but the financial conduit, helper and facilitator. And raconteur. If you go back to the beginning I wasn't supposed to work on it at all. I was just going to tell the story. In fact, I was still walking with a cane when this "engine compartment refreshing" came in. The only reason I got involved physically was to develop a seat belt installation kit.

On the question of whether it's a financial value, or not, is one for the owner to decide. They have been selling well at auction, but I don't believe that was ever his intent. His goal, and ours, all along was to make it safe and reliable. They love to drive it and show it. Unfortunately, hardly anything worked and everything needed to come apart for inspection and replacement of rock-hard grease. That made it reliable. Making it safe was a little more difficult as everything was worn just enough to make everything sloppy. Had we known about the bent body that would have saved a lot of time and had we known that every rubber part had deteriorated beyond use and had we known that someone used a full tube of sealant to close up the transmission things might have gone differently, indeed. But they didn't. Everyone can see that. Had the word "overspray" not become part of my vocabulary things would have been a lot easier.

For what was accomplished in an average of Dave's 20 hours a week I think we've matched the overall time of an average restoration. Last I heard Jim had a Corvette in restoration that's taken as long and has cost as much as the Mark II. Also, keep in mind that it would have been far simpler to mechanically restore the Ruxton or a Duesenberg than it was to do this car. For it's time it's packed with lots of technology in a very small space so the complexity was on a different level than many period cars. The leap in complexity between the Ruxton and the Mark II is a leap about equal to the Mark II and a modern car, but still complicated for the time. I think Dave's skill sets were put to the task. He deserves a lot of credit.

I am happy with the results. It looks really good. By putting everything back where it belonged the car looks right again. Everyone that's seen it that knows about these thinks we've done a damn fine job for a hobby shop. I've only had Dave working her 2-3 days a week as he has other customers for his independent mobile automotive service. I just gave him a space where he didn't have to crawl around on the ground for a living. he also didn't have to punch a clock. He typically comes in at 3:00 pm and stay until 3:00am. Many of the photos I post are his, used to document his progress. A plus for him is that my shop is air-conditioned, an important factor when you're as old and worn as we are.

I'm glad it's nearly done. Time for Jim and Phyllis to start enjoying it.
      The hours into this project must be astronomical. Certainly a labor of love as you said. You two practically made a new car when it was all said and done and it truly is a historical piece of American automotive manufacturing. This entire thread is a huge endeavor unto itself. Incredible work. Kudos to the two of you!
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-26-2017 09:33 AM #1235

Okay, I'm not crazy. The round holes on the lid around the spare tire well are not evenly spaced or really lined up very well. That's why I asked about the hand-made nature of it. They do not look like tooled press
      marks, as much as they look like they were done with hand tools.

And good god, I'm sorry you had to deal with that many adhesives.
      DCIVW
      CE.

11. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-26-2017 10:39 AM #1236
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Okay, I'm not crazy. The round holes on the lid around the spare tire well are not evenly spaced or really lined up very well. That's why I asked about the hand-made nature of it. They do not look like tooled press
      marks, as much as they look like they were done with hand tools.

And good god, I'm sorry you had to deal with that many adhesives.
      Agreed about the adhesives! I'm glad it has clean paint. I feel that was worth the effort after such a stellar build.

The holes are lined up just fine, but you're right, they're not evenly spaced. The letters in 'CONTINENTAL' aren't all the same width, requiring the mounting pins to be in different positions and therefore the holes for assembly must be the same.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      05-26-2017 10:43 AM #1237
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Agreed about the adhesives! I'm glad it has clean paint. I feel that was worth the effort after such a stellar build.

The holes are lined up just fine, but you're right, they're not evenly spaced. The letters in 'CONTINENTAL' aren't all the same width, requiring the mounting pins to be in different positions and therefore the holes for assembly must be the same.
      Or just use a large enough hole punch to access all pins while using a evenly spaced hole pattern. Crazy talk, I know.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hudsone View Post
      No one knows what and where I have to go to them?

13. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-26-2017 10:52 AM #1238
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Or just use a large enough hole punch to access all pins while using a evenly spaced hole pattern. Crazy talk, I know.
      So you'd rather lose strength to make the holes evenly spaced on the inside of a trunk lid? Okaaaaay.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      05-26-2017 12:10 PM #1239

05-26-2017 12:21 PM #1240
      The tabs on the individual letters are in different locations on each letter. The holes in the trunk lid are centered exactly on the studs, not the letters.

16. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-26-2017 12:27 PM #1241
      The tabs on the individual letters are in different locations on each letter. The holes in the trunk lid are centered exactly on the studs, not the letters.
      And there are more holes than letters, indicating some letters having one stud and others two. It's not like that was half-assed during construction.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2017 12:34 PM #1242
      And there are more holes than letters, indicating some letters having one stud and others two.
      I doubt that there are letters with just one stud: the letter would pivot during washing or slamming the trunk lid.

05-26-2017 12:41 PM #1243
      Quote Originally Posted by Roger Z View Post
      I doubt that there are letters with just one stud: the letter would pivot during washing or slamming the trunk lid.
      All of the letters have just one stud. Each letter has a square shank that fits into a square hole in the truck lid to keep its orientation. The extra holes are for the rest of the trunk jewelry.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2017 12:45 PM #1244
      All of the letters have just one stud. Each letter has a square shank that fits into a square hole in the truck lid to keep its orientation. The extra holes are for the rest of the trunk jewelry.
      Barry, thanks for the precision!

20. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-26-2017 05:39 PM #1245
      Ah. That's not how I envisioned it, but it makes sense. Sort of. Where is the stud located on the 'O'?

05-26-2017 05:48 PM #1246
      Ah. That's not how I envisioned it, but it makes sense. Sort of. Where is the stud located on the 'O'?
      It's on one side, only, which is why each letter is shaped like a carriage bolt with the square in a certain orientation to the letter. The holes for the letters in the trunk lid itself are matching squares to orient the studs. Those studs may be off center on the letter. That's why the holes in the underside appear random.

05-28-2017 09:31 AM #1247
      This might help understand why there are so many holes.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 99TJ & 03 Tacocat
      05-30-2017 07:03 AM #1248
      Is there any chance that we'll get some follow-up pictures of this after the keys are handed back over to the owner? Kind of like the Ruxton. Maybe this owner can't be bothered, I dunno, but I think I probably speak for most of us when I say we would love some, if that's a possibility.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      05-30-2017 08:25 AM #1249
      This might help understand why there are so many holes.

Good FSM...... That is nuts!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

25. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-30-2017 08:39 AM #1250
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      That is bedazzling!
      Fixed. I find it refreshing and beautiful.

After reading that each letter had one pin I initially thought it was crazy, but then when I realized the style of lettering left one side quite thick (unlike a thin 'O' where it would be exceedingly delicate) it made much more sense.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 LastLast