Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bad fuel pump symptoms??

1. 03-06-2003 12:32 AM #1
      Can somebody tell me what are the symptoms of a bad fuel pump? I have a 95' Golf 2.0 with about 150K. This last week the engine sputters/hesitates when under trottle. If I'm sitting still -no problem. I can even rev the engine whilestopped and it's fine. If I drive "lightly", it's still OK. But if I accelerate moderate to heavy, the engine sputters and shakes like crazy. I thoughit was bad gas, so I put some "dry gas", but no difference. I even changed the fuel filter, but still no change. If it is the fuel pump, doe anyone know where to buy one inexpensively?

2. 03-06-2003 07:38 PM #2
      don't know if your fuel pump is what's causin the prob but try this:

http://www.diypartscatalog.com/

[Modified by RomeoRx2, 12:42 AM 3-7-2003]

Vehicles
      '61 Beetle '04 A4 '08 Silverado
      03-06-2003 08:51 PM #3
      No CEL? If you know someone with a 1551/1552 scantool or equivalent check in the "basic settings" and see what figures you are getting on your MAF this could be the start of a MAF problem (will not generate a code till it fails and some times not at all).
      Hope this helps
      Richard

4. Senior Member
      03-06-2003 09:11 PM #4
      Sounds like it could be plugs/wires/cap/rotor to me.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

5. 03-07-2003 09:54 AM #5
      quote:
      Can somebody tell me what are the symptoms of a bad fuel pump? I have a 95' Golf 2.0 with about 150K. This last week the engine sputters/hesitates when under trottle. If I'm sitting still -no problem. I can even rev the engine whilestopped and it's fine. If I drive "lightly", it's still OK. But if I accelerate moderate to heavy, the engine sputters and shakes like crazy. I thoughit was bad gas, so I put some "dry gas", but no difference. I even changed the fuel filter, but still no change. If it is the fuel pump, doe anyone know where to buy one inexpensively?

Sounds very similar to the problems I am having with my car. Tryed the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap, still not change in luck so i am goin to change the fuel pump and see.
      This problem only happens when the car is fully warmed up correct? and runs fine when cold?

6. 03-07-2003 11:45 AM #6
      B4 you rush out and drop a few $$$'s on a fuel pump, how bout $20 or so on a new fuel filter??? Clogged filter will give same fuel starvation probs as weak pump and if you don't change it and drop in a new pump and then find out it was the filter all along...you'll experience a major case of OWASSIA*!!!
      *OWASSIA...Oh What A Stupid S--t I Am!!!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      96 M3 // 91 325ix
      03-07-2003 06:19 PM #7
      I've already tried the "dry gas" also I tried "fuel line cleaner" it worked for a lil' while but it's doin' it a lot today...I'm gettin' because my exhaust is pretty loud so you can really hear it and also feel it. I also replaced my fuel filter last year, so I don't know the deal? Another thing is just when I need my maintenance manual I can't find it... . What a fuggin' day!
      Not to mention that it only happens if I'm driving the car around for a long time, like it happens after a certain amount of time I drive....but also some days it won't do it at all.

Let me know if the fuel pump replacement works...

[Modified by JettaBoy3, 3:20 PM 3-7-2003]

Gonz - the man, the myth, the legend

8. 03-07-2003 11:40 PM #8
      i just ordered a new fuel pump from hella for $76 shipped@ the link i posted earlier

[Modified by RomeoRx2, 4:42 AM 3-8-2003]

9. 03-09-2003 12:40 AM #9
      I checked out the link you sent. It appers they have two different fuel pumps available. The original one for $488.00 and a universal type for $75.00. If you ordered te universal one, then please write back and let th rest of us know if it is indeed compatible, works, easy install, etc...

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      03-09-2003 11:23 AM #10
      Wow, this problem is remarkably similar to what I'm going through. I replaced the plug wires, plugs, cap, and rotor with no effect.

The shop it's at has swapped in another MAF and coil.

Next is going to be a fuel filter and checking the catalytic converter.

I'll post back with the results...

Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

11. Banned
      03-09-2003 01:54 PM #11
      This may be a sign of a faulty fuel pressure regulator, you can find this part located at the left hand side of the engine compartment next to the plastic fuel injector rail. It is small, round about 4 inches in diameter with a black plasitc body and a silver top, it is connected to two small vacuum hoses, check to see that the hoses haven't rotted and are therefore not sending the correct vacuum pressure to the regulator.Almost ALL thses small hoses rot after four or fvie yeatrs so now is a good time to replace them to save trouble down the road.

12. 03-10-2003 12:06 AM #12
      I had a bad fuel pump in my 96 jetta gls 2.0 and rather than paying the 400 that the stealer I mean dealer wanted I bought a factory replacement part for less than half. . http://www.vwparts.com/resetsearchlistspage.cfm?CFID=196924&CFTOKEN=29668584. . I paid 174 shipped to my door and it is a direct replacment rather than a universal pump hope this helps you

13. 03-10-2003 06:29 PM #13
      I went through the same thing this past Friday. Here is another thread on the same subject.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=708315

I also cleaned out the vacuum hose connections on the plenum. There seemed to be <Chevy Chase>g00k</Chevy Chase> all over them. I suspect that this is due to the oil making it's way into the plenum from the PCV but that's just my guess

quote:
      This may be a sign of a faulty fuel pressure regulator, you can find this part located at the left hand side of the engine compartment next to the plastic fuel injector rail.

Here's a pic of the FPR on the 2.0L:

Just ignore that plugged up vacuum port...gutting the airbox eliminated the need for it

[Modified by bajan01, 6:09 PM 3-10-2003]

14. 03-11-2003 08:21 PM #14
      quote:
      Sounds very similar to the problems I am having with my car. Tryed the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap, still not change in luck so i am goin to change the fuel pump and see.
      This problem only happens when the car is fully warmed up correct? and runs fine when cold?

Thats EXACTLY what happens to my car. More pronouced pulsing idle when temp of car reaches 175 plus. In the cold its all good. I have changed all the things mentioned by all these guys with the only thing left to really check thouroughly is the vaccum leaks. Im starting to think it could be the fuel pump now?? Did you ever find out what the cause to your problem was??

15. 03-14-2003 12:44 AM #15
      In addition to changingthe fuel filter, I also changed the MAF sensor, and put the OEM chip back in. Still no luck. The plugs, cap, rotor, and wires wre chnged about 7 monts ago, so I don'tthink hey're to blame. I'm thinking maybe fuel pump or something totally off the charts. I'll be taking it to my mechanic tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted. Damn, I miss driving my car...

16. 03-14-2003 10:15 AM #16
      quote:
      Thats EXACTLY what happens to my car. More pronouced pulsing idle when temp of car reaches 175 plus. In the cold its all good. I have changed all the things mentioned by all these guys with the only thing left to really check thouroughly is the vaccum leaks. Im starting to think it could be the fuel pump now?? Did you ever find out what the cause to your problem was??

I haven't had the chance to change my fuel pump yet, still waiting for it in the mail. should be in saturday or Monday. I am also going to change the fuel filter at the same time.
      in the meantime i went and took car of the exhuast leak that i had, just to rule that out of the equation.

17. 03-18-2003 12:53 AM #17
      You guys aren't gonna believe this. My problem was not fuel related at all. Turns out it's the transmission that's been causing the bucking of my car. It seemed so much like fuel, but it appears to be broken/cracked teeth in the final drive. It's at the dealer now. Keeping my fingers crossed...

18. 03-18-2003 03:47 PM #18
      delete: redundant

[Modified by QuackDuck, 12:49 PM 3-18-2003]

19. 03-18-2003 05:39 PM #19
      quote:
      You guys aren't gonna believe this. My problem was not fuel related at all. Turns out it's the transmission that's been causing the bucking of my car. It seemed so much like fuel, but it appears to be broken/cracked teeth in the final drive. It's at the dealer now. Keeping my fingers crossed...

That seems very strange to me. If you had cracked teeth on your final drive you would have hesitation all the time (not to mention some weird noises)...do you? I still get the hesitation at 3000RPM (very reproducible) as well as at a few other spots which leads me to believe that it's somehow mechanically related rather than an electrical issue such as a fuel pump going bad

20. 03-21-2003 09:41 AM #20
      I finally got around to changing my fuel pump last night, and so far all seems good it was raining hard last night so i didn't really get to drive the car long enuff to see if it truely took care of the problem or not, and my ride to work this morning isn't that long as well, so after work i am going to drive the car for about a half hour and see if the studdering starts back up.
      normally when i drive to work the studdering starts about a block before i reach work...so far so good