VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Questions about VWR Sport Springs and "bottoming out"

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  DroppinTheSasquatch 
#1 ·
Installed a new set of VWR springs on my car about 7-8K miles ago. They were installed with the stock shocks which had about 24K miles on them at the time of install.

Overall I am very happy with the ride and handling of the springs.

However, when I do hit a large bump or medium pothole, the ability for this setup to absorb the uneven road can be "bone jarring". Over the last couple of weeks the jolt to the car is so strong it knocks my phone out of it's holder on the dash.

So my questions are:
  • Do others have this same experience with the VWR Springs
  • When installing the VWR springs did you either shorten the bump stops or install shorter ones?
  • What other issues could be causing this situation?

Thanks

#4 ·
I have VWR springs and stock strut/shocks atm and have no had this issue. I've put roughtly 30k miles on the car on the VWR springs and haven't bottomed her out. I live on the bumpiest road in the entire world too! (Not really but it's ridiculous how bad it is). If you are just hearing a clunk check your sway and make sure it's tight and check to make sure the spring is set into the seat correctly, the bottom end of the spring should be rotated into a little slot.

#7 ·
It's not a clunk.

For reference I have installed springs, coil-overs, shock, struts, etc. on many other vehicles in the past. So I'm fairly confident they're done correctly, but doesn't hurt to double check that the springs are still seated properly and all the other bolts/nuts are tight.

Thanks

#5 ·
Are all 4 corners bottoming out? When I installed them I notice the stock front shocks did not decompress after I would compress them when they where off the car. The "gas charge" was not there. Because of that, if I don't go slow over speed bumps for example, I could bottom them out. Small bumps and pot holes hit pretty hard but only in the front. In the rear, I have no issues. They work perfectly. Car feels looser in the front than the rear. I have a set of Koni Yellows that I will be installing soon too. Hope that helps.

#8 ·
You bring up a good point. I don't recall if I checked the compression of the front struts. So they maybe shot.

The rear isn't as bad as the front but I assume it's because I hit the brakes when I get the initial front bump, thus slowing the car as the rear passes the bump.

Please let me know if installing the Koni's fixes your issue.

Thanks

#10 ·
I too have the VWR springs installed with the stock shocks and struts. The shocks and struts had about 9000 miles on them when the springs were installed—I now have approximately 14,000 miles on the car. Once I hit a decent sized pot hole on I-95 that I would describe as "bone jarring," but that was the only time I ever felt such an impact.

Like you, I really like the VWR springs in conjunction with the stock shocks and struts, but found the OE Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S tires much less pleasing once the springs were installed—I never really liked the Dunlops from the get-go. A few weeks ago I therefore had Nitto Invo tires installed on the stock rims, in size 235-40-18. I run 40 lbs of pressure in the front tires and 38 in the rear. The ride is much more compliant, road noise is noticably lower, and the tires are also much more sticky than the Dunlops. I am really pleased with the Invos. I mention this because if you are still on the OE Dunlops, then they may be contributing to the feeling you have described.

#14 ·
Like you, I really like the VWR springs in conjunction with the stock shocks and struts, but found the OE Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S tires much less pleasing once the springs were installed—I never really liked the Dunlops from the get-go. A few weeks ago I therefore had Nitto Invo tires installed on the stock rims, in size 235-40-18. I run 40 lbs of pressure in the front tires and 38 in the rear. The ride is much more compliant, road noise is noticably lower, and the tires are also much more sticky than the Dunlops. I am really pleased with the Invos. I mention this because if you are still on the OE Dunlops, then they may be contributing to the feeling you have described.
I can't agree more with the above ^^^ When I had the stock tires on originally, at first I thought there was something wrong. But I always thought the OE tires were terrible so I changed them immediately, and never had a problem since. Over 50K miles since VWR spring install and counting (and I feel it rides better than stock overall)...

See my post #83 and thread for additional reference:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6129491-Ride-comfort/page4

#11 ·
I do not have this issue. I'm running VWR springs on stock shocks. They went on in the first 100 miles, and have about 22k miles on them in total.

I had JCW sport springs on my MINI, which I'd definitely call bone jarring, but I definitely don't find this setup even a bit uncomfortable.

--Matt

#13 ·
No problems here. I always thought they ride smoother than the stock springs. :what:

#15 ·
I no longer have the stock tires. I am on new P-Zero Neros. They're OK but I don't think it's the tires in my case. I'm starting to think the struts are either shot or on their way out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.