VWVortex.com - 2 people (friend and a colleague's friend) has had their registration renewal for TDI blocked by CA
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 people (friend and a colleague's friend) has had their registration renewal for TDI blocked by CA

1. 11-26-2015 01:07 PM #1
      Interesting thing is that there is no fix available, however, while the DMV accepted the payment, they will not give the stickers until the vehicle is 'fixed'. They are welcome to come back to the DMV and extend for another 30 days for $50 additional but after the 30 days to get it fixed is over and the vehicle hasn't been, the vehicle will be inoperable as far as CA is concerned.

I don't know if VW is aware of this but if I was the owner, I would be not only calling VW immediately, but getting an injunction against CA DMV or whatever legal means necessary to not have the vehicle be held hostage.

As usual, the customer always gets shafted and this is in process it seems. When I first heard about the issue from one person, I thought it was a fluke but after another person had this issue just this week, it seems that VW has more of an issue on its hands than previously considered as CA is not waiting around.

Anyone else with this issue in CA experiencing this?
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen, 6 speed, Sunroof Delete, Enkei RPF1 - 17"

2003 996 C4s Speed Yellow, Sunroof Delete, Paint to sample center console, Fully Adjustable Suspension and a bit of engine work.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI Highline
      11-26-2015 05:12 PM #2
      I'd still drive the car, sticker or not.

3. Member
      North of the Big Apple, way east of the Minneapple
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Dieselgate special, various motorcycles
      11-28-2015 01:15 AM #3
      And so it begins….

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDi, 2007 Rabbit
      11-28-2015 11:16 AM #4
      Glad I live in a diesel exempt state!

And oh...Hey Jyoteen! Long time, no see! WayOT misses you!

5. 11-28-2015 11:50 AM #5
      Just drive the car,don't worry. Keep your payment receipt in the car. I'd love to see what they do.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      12-01-2015 02:35 PM #6
      There is a fix for the April service campaign to reflash the ECM (23O6 for Golf, Jetta, and JSW; 23N6 for late-model Passat if memory serves).

On another forum, a couple of owners have reported registrations withheld pending the repair of their vehicle. One owner stated that the notification letter for the April campaign stated that CA would withhold registration if the fix were not applied.

It seems that everyone is focused on the September "Dieselgate" (for which no fix exists) and forgets the April campaign.

Vehicles
      66 Mustang & 03 Jetta GL & 09 JSW TDI
      12-01-2015 03:16 PM #7
      I never got the April campaign done, and it does not show as needed for my vehicle anymore, according to VW website and dealership. So I assumed they retracted it when this all broke, and it will be replaced by the new fix.
      Owning a VW is like having a hot girlfriend that's mentally unstable

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-01-2015 11:00 PM #8
      I just ran the VIN for my '14 JSW through the website https://www.vw.com/owners-recalls/ again to confirm.

At the top of the results, it states that there are no active recalls (I believe recalls are strictly safety-related.)

However, when I scroll down past the 23Q2 (10/09/2015) with "Repair Not Yet Available" to the 23N6 (04/07/2015), it states "Repair Needed."

Based on what I see on the VW website, I'd expect to have my next registration withheld pending the 23N6 fix if I were in California.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12-01-2015 11:03 PM #9
      Or perhaps you had your car in to a dealership for service or warranty repair after April and they flashed the ECM then?

Vehicles
      66 Mustang & 03 Jetta GL & 09 JSW TDI
      12-02-2015 09:28 AM #10
      Nope, they have not touched it since then. Mine is an 09, though, so that might make a difference.
      Owning a VW is like having a hot girlfriend that's mentally unstable

11. 12-02-2015 12:33 PM #11
      However, I just renewed my registration at the end of October without having the recall done (I posted about its ambiguity when I first received the notice) and the renewal was not blocked.

Either way, this is the foreshadowing of what will happen with the current VW situation and the unwillingness to 'fix' something.
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen, 6 speed, Sunroof Delete, Enkei RPF1 - 17"

2003 996 C4s Speed Yellow, Sunroof Delete, Paint to sample center console, Fully Adjustable Suspension and a bit of engine work.

12. 12-04-2015 12:56 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by dsldub View Post
      I'd still drive the car, sticker or not.
      We do have some extremist Nazi-policemen who will apprehend and shoot to kill if you do this . VW must get on the ball and fix this .. Solution
      VW and California convene and compromise . IMO the standards are too strict .

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      JSW TDI
      12-08-2015 08:15 PM #13
      The courtroom battle will be in San Francisco: http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-suit...sco-1449612934

14. 12-09-2015 01:22 AM #14

Vehicles
      '14 JSW TDI, '07 Q7 Prem 3.6, '05 A6 3.2 Quattro, '83 190E AMG
      12-09-2015 03:02 AM #15
      Well it appears that someone ::insert "California" here:: is forcing VW's hand.

Having buyers/customers that are angry/peeved over what they thought was a "green" and environmentally responsible automobile choice is one thing. Having customers that are no longer able to have their cars on the road and incurring fines if those cars continue to operate in a given State is a whole different ball game.

This cracks the litigation doors wide open. If California is pushing this hard, I foresee the potential of other states also trying to push hard and see what they can force VW to do. I can easily see states trying to sue for the taxes that should have been paid for a car with the alleged emissions levels as well as any number of other environmental things...kind of like what happened to BP after the deepwater Gulf oil spill fiasco. VW is going to have some pretty high remunerations to dole out.

What I find a bit infuriating is that trying to fix the issue in the short timeframe that California is giving them is really unreasonable. I agree that what VW did was wrong and that they should fix it. However, what California is doing is squeezing the end user in order to force VW's hand...not because California wants VW owners to be happy...because California wants a certain outcome and it likes to flex its environmental muscle. Most warranties that are out there allow for the manufacturers of faulty items to try to make things right, whether it be through repair or replacement. California is allowing for nothing shy of replacement or a "refund"/repayment.

As a VAG enthusiast, I've been building VW engines and tinkering on their cars since my 1987 mk2 Golf GT when I was 16. Over the past 17 years, I've owned 10 Volkswagens and 1 Audi. I'm sad to see that VW has tarnished their reputation as they have...but the wonderful, spirited cars that they have produced are still good quality cars...still better appointed than others in their class...still fun to drive...still have a lot to love. The whole reason that I bought the TDI over a Prius was because of that pedigree.

Now I find that I'm just sitting back and playing the wait-and-see game. I have another 3+ years until I would have to renew my registration here in Arizona...but my new job is probably going to transfer me prior to that. I'm not sure where to...so, we'll see where the chips fall.
      '14 JSW TDI (6spd w/pano)- daily driver
      '07 Q7 3.6 Premium Quattro
      '05 A6 3.2 Quattro
      '83 Mercedes 190E AMG Widebody - in storage

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      12-09-2015 11:30 AM #16
      I think it's time for me to give VW a call and voice my anger. I'm beginning to get really pissed off. They just need to buy back our 2009-2014 TDI's and free themselves of the poison they've created for themselves. I still want a new VW and to trade in my current JSW but everyday this shiat continues the more pissed off I'm getting. I don't like not being in control of the situations I find myself in.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk
      2013 Black/Black JSW TDI 2.0L DSG w/Pano - | Malone Stage 1.5 & DSG Tune | Eibach Pro Kit Springs | Koni FSD Shocks | 30% Tint Allaround | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Chrome Exhaust Tips | Smoked Side Markers | Smoked LED Third Brake Light | LED City Lights | Red Interior LED Lights| Asymetrical Blue Tinted Side Mirrors | Lowline Golf Black Front Grill | Color Matched Rear Reflectors | OEM Foglights

17. 12-09-2015 08:31 PM #17
      So, now the Peoples Republic of California is unilaterally dictating what people can drive? I think it is time we cut that state loose and give it back to Mexico... Adiós, Muchachos

MrVermin

18. 12-10-2015 08:20 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by mrvermin View Post
      So, now the Peoples Republic of California is unilaterally dictating what people can drive? I think it is time we cut that state loose and give it back to Mexico... Adiós, Muchachos

MrVermin
      Given that they are the largest economy in the States and in the top 10 on their own, they might be very happy to leave...

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      JSW TDI
      12-10-2015 01:27 PM #19
      Perhaps if VW did not attempt to refute and deny the emissions discrepancy at first (late 2013 or early 2014), government agencies might be more lenient. But as it is, it's a fact that they have already admitted that they have been blatantly cheating for years now regarding emissions. They even did it again with the 3.0 liter engines. I'm an affected owner but I feel as long as I can still use my car and don't sell/trade it in its current price, I'm ok. I guess I'm still trusting "German Engineering" to fix this, whatever that is right now, lol! I have a friend who works in a dealership and to me these are the people that's immensely been affected by the scandal since it involves their livelihood.

Vehicles
      09 JSW TDI
      12-11-2015 02:53 AM #20
      Huh, I live in Southern California and just renewed the registration on my 09 TDI without any fuss. Took me 30 seconds.

21. 12-11-2015 06:08 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by mrvermin View Post
      So, now the Peoples Republic of California is unilaterally dictating what people can drive?
      Haven't they been doing that since the 1970s?

22. Member
      North of the Big Apple, way east of the Minneapple
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Dieselgate special, various motorcycles
      12-11-2015 11:59 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Rev Jerry View Post
      Huh, I live in Southern California and just renewed the registration on my 09 TDI without any fuss. Took me 30 seconds.

$149???

Another reason why I'm glad I don't live in CA….

Vehicles
      09 JSW TDI
      12-12-2015 02:06 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbowagon View Post
      $149???

Yeah it sucks. I bought the car in Albuquerque and a year's reg was like $50 on a brand new car.

Vehicles
      BMW X5 5MT, JSW TDI DSG, Triumph Thunderbird 1700
      12-12-2015 01:40 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbowagon View Post
      $149???

Wow - I thought Jersey was bad, I pay $10 extra a year for special plates and my reg is only $80
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Did you have to use a doll to show the jury where Matthias Mueller touched you?

Vehicles
      '14 JSW TDI, '07 Q7 Prem 3.6, '05 A6 3.2 Quattro, '83 190E AMG
      12-12-2015 02:31 PM #25
      I'm in Phoenix and my first year cost me $441. My second year costs around $381-ish. It eventually goes down, my mk2 Jetta only cost me $12 per year...but it's a huge bite to get a new car here.
      Last edited by natedog01nse; 12-16-2015 at 08:59 PM.
      '14 JSW TDI (6spd w/pano)- daily driver
      '07 Q7 3.6 Premium Quattro
      '05 A6 3.2 Quattro
      '83 Mercedes 190E AMG Widebody - in storage

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast