Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: clear protective plastic coating on front of hood

1. 03-10-2003 08:28 PM #1
      clear protective plastic coating on front of hood

Does anone have this? I have seen it on some passats in some parking lots. I would like to get it, can anyone give me advice on a source, $$, how to install, how much $$ for dealer/body shop to install, ? I plan to put some on the front of my hood and above my windshield, both have rust spots from stone chipping etc. I am going to get the body shop to repaint those areas, then apply this clear plastic stuff if i can get my hands on the real stuff for a good price. PLease help if you can.

2. 03-10-2003 11:39 PM #2
      http://www.xpel.com has a good selection. I ordered mine along with head light and fog light protective shields.

3. 03-11-2003 12:11 AM #3
      I got the 3M protective film done at Cambridge VW, not far from where you are. They charged $245 to cover the front of the hood and front of the side fenders. They could not do any of the plastic front-end pieces as I was told that it can only be applied to metal, not plastic. The dealer said the majority of the cost is in the labour of applying the film as it is meticulously applied and trimming the pieces takes time to do.

You can do it yourself but considering the dealer install is lifetime guaranteed, I'd let a pro do it.

You can see the edge of the film on the pic below. This pic was taken on the day I took delivery, over a month ago. The line is not so pronounced now.

Outside, the lines are not noticeable at all.

If you're still interested in doing it yourself, call Cambridge VW and ask where they source the film. They're good guys and will probably help you out.

4. 03-11-2003 08:58 AM #4
      Some snippage...
      quote:
      the majority of the cost is in the labour of applying the film as it is meticulously applied and trimming the pieces takes time to do.

You can do it yourself but considering the dealer install is lifetime guaranteed, I'd let a pro do it.

So true. I've seen our supplier invest many hours of fidgeting to get the film "just right". It is truly more of an art than a science.

Team Player
      GeorgetownVW.com

5. 03-11-2003 11:39 AM #5
      I had Autobahnd's Roadblock product applied to my new car through the dealer. It is a 3M film that
      protects against sand and small stones. You can check them out at

http://www.autobahndint.com/

I got my dealer down to $445 from the $550 they originally wanted. I would suggest that you have the dealer do it as you have to be very carefull applying it to a spotless car. There are DIY products out there, but the pitfalls are of applying it yourself are fingerprints on the adhesive, dust & hair on the adhesive, and if you stretch or crinkle the product to much trying to align it you will get white marks i.e. white lines in the film.

This film was applied to the hood, fenders, front bumper assembly and mirrors. It can be applied to both metal and plastic surfaces. It comes with a 3 year warranty against yellowing and a seven year warranty for adhesion. The product isn't cheap, but hopefully it was money well spent, only time will tell

Good luck