VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Main fuel line leak

515 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Sekele 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I noticed that I am leaking fuel from the connection where the main fuel line connects to a smaller line in the engine bay that goes in to the distributor. I want to unscrew that connection and put a new sealant in there and then screw it back together. However, I do not know what the best sealant for this would be. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
If it is leaking at the banjo bolt, you are looking at a couple of copper sealing washers.

If the line is leaking at the fitting, you are going to be be replacing the line.

Not the best plan to RTV or permatex a line carrying fuel at 70 PSI.

#5 ·
We are talking about a CIS (E) fuel distributor, Right?

When you put in two new copper sealing washers, be sure to have them lightly coated with a light oil before the banjo bolt is torqued down.

Good luck with the lock tight on that banjo bolt. If the fuel doesn't dissolve it, it should assist greatly in sheering that banjo bolt the next time it should be taken out.

#6 ·
Yes, it's a CIS distributor. However, I am not talking about the banjo bolts on the distributor; there I have no leaks. I have all new copper washers that were installed correctly.

Upon further inspection I noticed that it is the return fuel line that is leaking, but at the union fitting in the engine bay. The main return line is screwed into a shorter line, and that shorter line is then connected to the distributor. I have a leak where the main return line is connected to the shorter one via a union fitting. The connection is rusted on the surface, so I am suspecting that it might be the rust that is causing the leak. Is it possible to buy a new return line somewhere? I did a search online and could not find anything.

Good luck with the lock tight on that banjo bolt. If the fuel doesn't dissolve it, it should assist greatly in sheering that banjo bolt the next time it should be taken out.
I do not understand why you insist that using a sealant is a bad idea. There are sealants specifically made for fuel applications that have a wide operational temperature range. [I am not talking about using them at the bonjo bolts, but at the union fitting of the two fuel lines.] Such sealants do not dissolve when in contact with gasoline. You apply them at the very few last threads of a fitting to ensure that there are no leaks; this especially important for pressurized systems of any kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.