VWVortex.com - Tips for matching paint?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Tips for matching paint?

1. 12-28-2015 04:46 PM #1
      Black 1992 Cabriolet

Got bumped into, and have a little dent/scratch on my passenger door. I've spoken to a couple of body shops that have all told me that repainting the entire door is required to fix the damage, and that the new paint will not completely match the 23 year old paint, even if I polish the car after. Can't really afford the quoted $4-5000 to repaint the entire car...any ideas? Is this gonna look totally horrible? Car is otherwise mint and the dent/scratch is very minor, but I want to fix it so I can get collectors insurance in 2017, and i'm a perfectionist.

I'm in Vancouver Canada, if anyone knows an especially good shop here for matching paint of old cars?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      12-28-2015 05:46 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by courtney86 View Post
      Black 1992 Cabriolet

Got bumped into, and have a little dent/scratch on my passenger door. I've spoken to a couple of body shops that have all told me that repainting the entire door is required to fix the damage, and that the new paint will not completely match the 23 year old paint, even if I polish the car after. Can't really afford the quoted $4-5000 to repaint the entire car...any ideas? Is this gonna look totally horrible? Car is otherwise mint and the dent/scratch is very minor, but I want to fix it so I can get collectors insurance in 2017, and i'm a perfectionist.

I'm in Vancouver Canada, if anyone knows an especially good shop here for matching paint of old cars?
      Painting the whole door is one way. And you can get really close.
      I just when through this last summer with a 1978 Super Beetle, that was re-painted a little off from mars red.

Your side Mirrors (flag) on a 90 cabby are painted to match the door.
      Remove the mirror and take it to a Automotive Paint Store. They can use the computer like HOME DEPOT to get the paint close, then they can usually add to get really really close. You can then buy it single stage, or two stage, VW OEM is a 2 Stage Paint. If it is a really really good Automotive Paint store they can put it in a Rattle Can for you. bee about 80 bucks for 3 cans of color and 1 of clear.

Here is my Blue Cabby that I replaced, with a white door. It took 3 rattle cans and a can of clear. I didn't have a local shop to match paint, so I went to automotive touchup paint out of Louisiana, with the oem color number, and it is really close.

Last edited by briano1234; 12-28-2015 at 05:50 PM.
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Another Useless Ground Thread
      HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FAQ's ABOVE..PAGE 3 Thread 75? Why bother no one else does.
      You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make them click.

Vehicles
      89 Turbo/Carb Golf Cabrio
      12-28-2015 09:16 PM #3
      I get my paint matched by a local auto supply store. I give them the paint code and they put it in a rattle can of around $20 cnd.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      12-28-2015 09:27 PM #4
      I've spoken to a couple of body shops that have all told me that repainting the entire door is required to fix the damage
      True, if you want it fixed correctly. Otherwise, it'll merely be a "patch job".

and that the new paint will not completely match the 23 year old paint, even if I polish the car after.
      Is this gonna look totally horrible?
      Unless the paint is highly oxidized, not quite true. Black is one of the easiest paint colors to blend on the car; white, yellow, silver/gray, and metallics, on the other hand can be quite a different story.

I'd get the door repaired/painted and call it good. So long as the rest of the car's paint is nice and shiny, it shouldn't look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Your side Mirrors (flag) on a 90 cabby are painted to match the door.
      This is a Canadian Cabriolet; not all '92 Canadian models have painted mirror housings.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

For advertising information click HERE