Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corrado SLC Road Trip: NYC to New Mexico/Texas Roundtrip

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-04-2016 02:29 PM #1
      Hey all, I've lurked on vwvortex for a long time. Bought a 2006 A3 MT earlier this year (I have a few motorcycles as well) and this coming weekend I'll take ownership of a Corrado SLC well-known to this forum as it has been owned by at least two vortex members.

I'll post photo updates each day along with details about any mechanical or other issues my GF and I encounter along the way.

We'll be departing this Saturday, Jan 9 and heading straight to Albuquerque where we'll spend a few days with my GF's brother who lives there working towards his Ph.D. and their parents who are flying in. From there we plan to drive to San Angelo, TX where I'm attending my cousin's wedding. Then home from there. Probably close to 5K miles by the time we return on Jan 31.

Along the way we hope to hit a couple spots in Tennessee, Marfa and Austin in Texas, and our last "fun" stop will likely be New Orleans for one or two nights. If anyone here has any suggested stops please feel free to chime in. I'm primarily interested in museums (automotive or motorcycle), architecturally significant landmarks and coffee shops. If anyone can suggest specific highways to avoid or more scenic detours to look for, that would be great too.

Very happy to finally be contributing to this forum. And I'll likely be posting about the A3 later this year as I have a few small projects planned for it.

-Curtis

Vehicles
      First world problems
      01-04-2016 03:36 PM #2
      Good luck Curtis! Nice to see another Corrado being used for a road trip
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 911 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit | TT - Colorless Wonder II
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 07 3x White NB & 08 Yukon Denali XL to tow em
      01-04-2016 06:47 PM #3
      Invest in a radar/lidar detector. The unit in my friends Nissan truck saved me from a nasty speeding ticket when I was a DD that night.
      !! opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-04-2016 06:55 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      Invest in a radar/lidar detector. The unit in my friends Nissan truck saved me from a nasty speeding ticket when I was a DD that night.
      I've never owned one before -- great suggestion and excuse to finally buy one. Only needs to work once before it has more than paid for itself.
      Cars: 1993 Corrado SLC | 2006 Audi A3
      Bike: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
      GF's Bike: 2009 Suzuki GZ250 Marauder

Vehicles
      First world problems
      01-04-2016 07:08 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      A must have on a long road trip

My V1's have saved my tail too many times to count!
      -Noah
      Corrado - Burns money faster than hookers and blow | 911 Turbo - Hates noise ordnance's, fuel and tires in that order | TT - Colorless Wonder with a C16 habit | TT - Colorless Wonder II
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 1973 International Scout II
      01-04-2016 11:46 PM #6
      Have fun!
      I took my C from ohio to new jersey, to upstate new york, to new mexico, colorado, and back to ohio. Took it like a champ, only lost an o2 sensor on the way. Let us know how it goes!

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 12:04 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      My V1's have saved my tail too many times to count!
      Now I know what to buy.

Vehicles
      96 jetta GLX, 93 Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 12:29 AM #8
      I happen to live in New Mexico, and originally from San Angelo, TX. In NM, i'd check out the Billy the Kid Museum, Roswell (cheesy Alien Museums). Marfa is a long way from San Angelo and Austin.

Take either I-40, or I-25 south, cut across to 380, and enjoy the ruidoso area and curvy roads. Take 380 into TX, and then 87 down to San Angelo. Austin is beautiful. I'd say check out Gas Monkey Garage in Dallas. Hit up some Coopers BBQ in Llano, TX.

Have fun, and enjoy it!

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 12:31 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Slider388 View Post
      Have fun!
      I took my C from ohio to new jersey, to upstate new york, to new mexico, colorado, and back to ohio. Took it like a champ, only lost an o2 sensor on the way. Let us know how it goes!
      That's awesome! Losing only an O2 sensor over that many miles is encouraging.

Have any advice on routes between NY and NM? Detours or landmarks we should consider? I've never been through TN. Looking forward to Nashville.

Right now, just based on a quick and dumb review of the map, we're looking at 78 to 81 to 40. I've never driven either so have no idea what that will be like. On our return trip we're looking at 10 to 65 to 85 (through Atlanta) to 95. I've been on 95 dozens of times but no experience with any of those other routes. All of this unknown is what excites me about this road trip.

My last long trip was in the summer of 2014 -- rode around the Great Lakes on my sport bike. I was not expecting Ontario north of Toronto to be so beautiful. I was blown away. It was the highlight of the entire trip and not expecting it made it even more special.

10. 01-05-2016 12:41 AM #10
      which corrado?
      Quote Originally Posted by BlueVR View Post

yes i am still into Vag...

Vehicles
      Corrado VR- Gt3582r
      01-05-2016 12:56 AM #11
      I'm living in New Mexico aswell. Depending on the route you take you might pass through Alamogordo. Which is where I'm located... Well atleast Holloman afb. The roads here are clear and atleast you're doing this trip this week instead of about a week ago because all the roads to most directions from here and in albq were closed or heavily covered in snow. Which I'm sure you might have heard from your friends in albq.

If you make it into ruidoso like mentioned in someone's post above... There's a nice Irish pub. I think it's called omalleys or something else extremely Irish-ish. Haha.

Cloudcroft is probably out of your way but it's beautiful and lots of good hiking. Only 45 mins outside of Alamogordo. 54 runs through Alamogordo. From albq and straight all he way to El Paso. Pretty boring drives...but can't get lost. If you take 54 into Alamogordo and a right onto 70 towards las cruces you'll pass Holloman afb. And about 5 mins later will be white sands national park. Beautiful sand dunes that run about 30 miles into the desert along the mtns. You can drive out into the park for a few dollars. Military is free if you happen to be. And you can get tons of great shots of the car. The scenery or yourselves.

Alamogordo is small but it has enough for what we're need. A few good Thai restaurants & all the usual suspects (fast food) and sit down eateries.

Hopefully something is helpful I babbled about. Safe trips man. Hope everything goes smoothly. If you run into car troubles around here hit me up. If I'm available I'll come and try to help. I wish the corrado was done. I'd just come cruise for a little on your way through. If that was the route.

Anyways. Take it easy brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      M.L.G Ridiculous in every aspect

I live outside the box

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 03:24 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by RcrVdub View Post
      I happen to live in New Mexico, and originally from San Angelo, TX. In NM, i'd check out the Billy the Kid Museum, Roswell (cheesy Alien Museums). Marfa is a long way from San Angelo and Austin.

Take either I-40, or I-25 south, cut across to 380, and enjoy the ruidoso area and curvy roads. Take 380 into TX, and then 87 down to San Angelo. Austin is beautiful. I'd say check out Gas Monkey Garage in Dallas. Hit up some Coopers BBQ in Llano, TX.

Have fun, and enjoy it!
      This is excellent, thank you! I just mapped out a route for one day starting in Albuquerque with stops at BTK Museum, Roswell, Ruidoso, White Sands, and finally Las Cruces where we'll spend the night. We'll depart the following day for Marfa from there.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 03:35 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CamberKraut1.8t View Post
      I'm living in New Mexico aswell. Depending on the route you take you might pass through Alamogordo. Which is where I'm located... Well atleast Holloman afb.
      And about 5 mins later will be white sands national park. Beautiful sand dunes that run about 30 miles into the desert along the mtns. You can drive out into the park for a few dollars. Military is free if you happen to be. And you can get tons of great shots of the car. The scenery or yourselves.
      Hopefully something is helpful I babbled about. Safe trips man. Hope everything goes smoothly. If you run into car troubles around here hit me up. If I'm available I'll come and try to help. I wish the corrado was done. I'd just come cruise for a little on your way through. If that was the route.

Anyways. Take it easy brother.
      This is excellent. I did want to stop at White Sands, very glad you mentioned that. I cobbled together your suggestions with RcrVdub's and have a nice little route planned. We'll most likely be passing through Alamogordo/Holloman AFB on Jan 19th or 20th. I may reach out, regardless of the Corrado's mechanical condition (and thank you very much for offering to help out if it is having some issues). Sorry to hear your Corrado isn't finished. Would definitely be fun to cruise and maybe take shots of our cars together at White Sands.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 1973 International Scout II
      01-05-2016 03:42 AM #14
      Avoid the northern routes like i70. Incredibly boring. Sticking to the south on the way back sounds like a lot more fun. I40 gets a bit boring crossing through north texas, straight road and all desert but it's not too bad. Sounds like you'll be staying further south but getting into the rockies around northern new mexico and southwestern colorado has some stunning terrain.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 03:43 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by hubbell View Post
      which corrado?
      It was formerly owned by vintage empire.

01-05-2016 11:36 AM #16
      i70 through Kansas is super boring. I much prefer the Oklahoma/Texas pan handle route. While the mountains from Colorado into northern New Mexico are amazing, i40 through Tucumcari, NM into ABQ is also beautiful.

Automotive museums in the Midwest:
      -Henry Ford in Detroit
      -Auburn/Cord museum in Indiana

Nashville, St Louis, and Louisville have awesome downtown areas.

Quote Originally Posted by archbishop View Post
      It was formerly owned by vintage empire.
      I didn't even know Chris had it listed for sale. Well in that case... do take extra good care of it it's a good one and I loved it dearly for my short time with it. No reason to believe you wont have a trouble free road trip.

Vehicles
      96 jetta GLX, 93 Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 12:18 PM #17
      CamberKraut and I both are in Alamogordo. Both stationed at Holloman. He's building a VRT Rado, and i'm fixing up my SLC. I was going to suggest. If you wanted to take the mountain route, Take 82 into Cloudcroft, almost 40 miles of curves, dumps out into the eastern NM plains into Artesia, take 285 south to Carlsbad caverns for a day or so. You can take 285 into Ft. Stockton, and head down to Marfa from there.

Hit one of us up if you need help or a garage to work on it.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Corrado SLC 47,700 miles
      01-05-2016 03:13 PM #18
      So you're picking up your C on Friday-ish and embarking on a 5 thousand mile road trip the next day
      Post a pic of your back-up parts/tools/fluids when you get it all together

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      01-05-2016 03:44 PM #19
      ^ I was thinking the same thing. I'm as familiar as one can be with their Corrado's history and I still have a doubt on long(ish) trips. It's the crap shoot that makes it fun, though.

Too bad you're flying out. An ECU relay and ignition switch in your luggage would likely land you in a private room.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 03:44 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by RcrVdub View Post
      CamberKraut and I both are in Alamogordo. Both stationed at Holloman. He's building a VRT Rado, and i'm fixing up my SLC. I was going to suggest. If you wanted to take the mountain route, Take 82 into Cloudcroft, almost 40 miles of curves, dumps out into the eastern NM plains into Artesia, take 285 south to Carlsbad caverns for a day or so. You can take 285 into Ft. Stockton, and head down to Marfa from there.

Hit one of us up if you need help or a garage to work on it.
      Thank you so much. As NM will be almost our halfway point after five days of driving, we should have a decent idea whether or not we need to repair anything. Can't tell you how much I appreciate the offer. Please be prepared for us to take you up on it!

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 03:47 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      i70 through Kansas is super boring. I much prefer the Oklahoma/Texas pan handle route. While the mountains from Colorado into northern New Mexico are amazing, i40 through Tucumcari, NM into ABQ is also beautiful.

Automotive museums in the Midwest:
      -Henry Ford in Detroit
      -Auburn/Cord museum in Indiana

Nashville, St Louis, and Louisville have awesome downtown areas.

I didn't even know Chris had it listed for sale. Well in that case... do take extra good care of it it's a good one and I loved it dearly for my short time with it. No reason to believe you wont have a trouble free road trip.
      Great suggestions! I'm adding them to my list now. I will definitely take very good care of this Corrado. As the former owner of a 1990 Classic Mini 998, I know how important is to give these kinds of cars a lot of extra special attention.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 04:29 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by JDCorrado View Post
      So you're picking up your C on Friday-ish and embarking on a 5 thousand mile road trip the next day
      Post a pic of your back-up parts/tools/fluids when you get it all together
      Quote Originally Posted by mateok View Post
      ^ I was thinking the same thing. I'm as familiar as one can be with their Corrado's history and I still have a doubt on long(ish) trips. It's the crap shoot that makes it fun, though.

Too bad you're flying out. An ECU relay and ignition switch in your luggage would likely land you in a private room.
      I am comforted by the fact that so much has been done to this Corrado to improve its reliability and that it has served as a daily driver for the past several months. I know all of these things don't necessarily bring it into the realm of a modern car's reliability, but we're going to be as prepared as we can be. And I'd much rather be in a Corrado than a typical rental car. Or even flying, for that matter. I have no desire to be in a private room with TSA, unless the one doing the exam is attractive and gentle (and female).

I'm bringing a lot of tools and as many spare parts as I can acquire before departure on the 9th. The only hard date on our trip is San Antonio, TX on the 23rd for a wedding. So even if we find ourselves faced with inclement weather and mechanical trouble related delays, I think we'll make that engagement. It may mean removing some stops from our itinerary as we work to make up time, but that's alright. No matter what happens, it will all be a hell of a lot more enjoyable than a lot of other things I could be doing with my time.

As mateok points out, it's the crap shoot that makes it fun. Kind of like the episode of Seinfeld with Kramer and the car salesman pushing on to test the capacity of their Saab's gas tank past indicated empty. Or The Oregon Trail in a Carrado 'Wagen instead of a Covered Wagon.

Worst case scenario I can envision is that we get stranded in the middle of nowhere and just cannot bring the car back to life on the side of the road requiring a tow to the nearest town/city, and we need to store the car somewhere to fly to our destination instead. But at least we'd have tried — I love testing the limits of things, and we'd have cut some distance off of our flights.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      04 MK4 r32, 01 Audi A4 Avant, 04 Jetta GLI, 95 VR6 vPassat wagon,
      01-05-2016 06:40 PM #23
      I'm in El Paso, if you need anything.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 07:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Red92vrsik View Post
      I'm in El Paso, if you need anything.

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI and 1993 Corrado SLC
      01-05-2016 09:59 PM #25
      Houston TX if you come this way and need help!

And if you make it to Houston, I-10 east of here through Louisiana is GARBAGE. Bumpy, traffic, terrible drivers and lots of 18 wheelers. However, if you want to go to New Orleans, that is basically your only route.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast