Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2016 Progress Thread

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-05-2016 11:14 AM #1
      Mods: Out with the old, sticky the new. Pretty please.

BBB Three Month Challenge - Month 3

After pulling 300x5 and then 5x10 squats at 215 and not dying, vomiting or passing out (though I came very close to the latter two on sets 2-5) this morning I feel like...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant with a Tial 770R 2.7T swap and O1E manual swap
      01-05-2016 12:24 PM #2
      Link to 2015 Progress Thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rogress-Thread

Post up your progress!
      Driversport Will Never Die|| Dub Cult PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Dead Build Thread

01-06-2016 03:58 AM #3
      Back in the gym today for the second time in 3 months, after tearing my shoulder.

Damn I am weak. Still taking it easy, and not doing anything overhead, but I have lost about 30% of my max on everything. Currently icing my shoulder. I think I might need to become a (shudders) cardio guy

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-11-2016 11:02 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Back in the gym today for the second time in 3 months, after tearing my shoulder.

Damn I am weak. Still taking it easy, and not doing anything overhead, but I have lost about 30% of my max on everything. Currently icing my shoulder. I think I might need to become a (shudders) cardio guy

I strained my cuff over a year ago, was benching 280 and pressing 165. I decided it was a good time to work on lower body and it worked out well. I'm still nowhere near back to where I was on upper body stuff but it's slowly progressing, my deadlifts are right back where I was and about to pass that, squats skyrocketed.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      01-14-2016 12:42 AM #5
      Squats are feeling nice. Had a slight quad strain that took a couple weeks to fully heal. Tested it again today and felt great. 275 for two sets of 5 and stopped there. Good speed, could've done 10 which is where I was at with 275 before the injury, so no losses there.

335x5x3 deadlift but felt a muscle in the sciatic area tighten up so dealing with that now. Hating deads right now, progress is dead.

01-15-2016 11:50 AM #6
      White collar meathead problems: My hands are sore/stiff from deads last night I'm having difficulty typing today. And I'm the kind of office jockey that can type almost as fast as I can talk.

But I did manage to sneak back into the mid 4s with my pulls, and after removing my brand new super squishy running shoes, my pulls were better. Lessons learned there. I also did several sets with 3 plates with a snatch grip. Having my traps pumped up along with so much else is kinda interesting today.

And I'm almost addicted to my SS Yoke bar for fronts and regular squats now. My standard bar beats up my wrists (which I will wrap) so much, and my squatter's welt has all but gone away. The issue is I'm built for a low bar squat, but my arm/shoulder mobility does not care for it. I can get the SS bar sitting way down my back, keep my closer stance, and drop to the ground for lots of reps without wrist issues. In fact, I've exposed a bit of lower back weakness on my higher rep schemes, but I've solidified my hip flexor pain was caused directly by wider stance squatting. The pain is 90% gone now!

Of course training around my wife and baby's schedule has definitely proven to be the biggest challenge. My son has made it clear he's not a fan of deadlifts, even when I have him in his comfy seat 10 feet away from the pit. This confuses me, because all of his seats vibrate and gyrate, giving him comfort. You'd think a couple of mild earthquakes from nicely setting down 4 or 5 plates would add to his comfort?

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-15-2016 03:44 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
      Of course training around my wife and baby's schedule has definitely proven to be the biggest challenge. My son has made it clear he's not a fan of deadlifts, even when I have him in his comfy seat 10 feet away from the pit. This confuses me, because all of his seats vibrate and gyrate, giving him comfort. You'd think a couple of mild earthquakes from nicely setting down 4 or 5 plates would add to his comfort?
      Deadlifts always make me sleep like a baby, but I'm a strange animal.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-15-2016 10:23 PM #8
      I just tried those SS yoke bar front squats. Pretty neat. Getting in and out is awkward, and failing feels like it'll be terribly dangerous. But, I liked em.

My wrist is ****ed again, so a front rack is out of the question right now.

Worked up to a 315 single on the SS bar and felt surprisingly solid. I do think it requires less core strength than a traditional front squat though. Either way, it'lll be my new movement till the wrist is healed.

Any tips of setup and/or failing?

Vehicles
      01-15-2016 10:42 PM #9
      Never failed with it, but one thing you can do is push up on the handles on the way up which helps you grind it out.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-16-2016 03:06 PM #10
      When using it in a front squat position, the handles are behind me....

Vehicles
      01-16-2016 03:20 PM #11
      Oh I missed that. I didn't even know you could do that

01-16-2016 06:23 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      I just tried those SS yoke bar front squats. Pretty neat. Getting in and out is awkward, and failing feels like it'll be terribly dangerous. But, I liked em.

My wrist is ****ed again, so a front rack is out of the question right now.

Worked up to a 315 single on the SS bar and felt surprisingly solid. I do think it requires less core strength than a traditional front squat though. Either way, it'lll be my new movement till the wrist is healed.

Any tips of setup and/or failing?
      That's an impressive weight for a front squat, SS Bar or not. I think I've done it once myself, a while back.

I can see where you are coming from on your core strength comment, but I'd caution you and ask are you still just as focused on keeping your elbows up, regardless if you have a nice comfy foam pad in front of you in lieu of a standard barbell? I'd also ask if you feel that the SS bar provides you with a considerable amount of greater foundation than the standard bar might, thus allowing you to concentrate more on the leg movement than trying to maintain a strict rack position? You might also notice that the actual weight plane is almost in line with your ears now, as opposed to your nose. Those few inches make a difference!

Then I'd ask myself if I'm using the SS Bar for front squats as a bit of a crutch for using a regular bar for them, and I'd answer with a sheepish "yes". However, I'm not training to be an O Lifter. I will add that keeping them in my regular rotation absolutely helps me with my Desk Jockey posture. They are also great after spending hours driving a vehicle. Considering I can't even beg my arms to get a good rack position in the first place, I'm all for using the SS Bar.

Sounds like you have the slight awkwardness of the setup down. 2 plates I can usually just swing the handles up and wriggle my way under. Heavier, I unscrew the handle bars, and perform the Limbo to get under and back, and into position. If you have the advantage of setting stoppers/spotter arms at your ATG position, go for it. In fact it is lots of fun to squat down, let the bar settle on the stoppers, take a breath, and blast back up. Akin to an Anderson style squat. Try those if you don't think you are getting enough core exercise.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-19-2016 01:07 PM #13
      I took the handles off, and that made quite the difference getting in and out.

I think the biggest positive I get from the SS bar is that I can get my elbows up MUCH higher than I can with the standard front rack position. This allows me to sit upright a lot more, thus making it easier on my core to stand upright.

I did 5x8 @ 210 yesterday with it. Wasn't bad at all, especially considering how dried out I was from my weekend shenanigans and my hockey game the night before. Barely had any issues with starting to pitch forward.

Long story short, I'm going to stick with them for a while. I love to pretend I'm going to be some Oly lifter or whatever, but the reality is that I'm really just trying to get stronger and look better. If a bar aids in me moving more weight, I think that should take precedence over looking like I'm training for something.

Vehicles
      01-19-2016 05:12 PM #14
      So I finally made the jump to 315 squats. It's been in my head, I was always intimidated by it. I tend to play it safe when I workout alone. But since I started going to this gym with a coach the guys there kinda pump you up and you realize you can do a lot more than you think. So I never did 315 before but I got 315 for a triple today and honestly could have probably done 5.

Then did back off sets with 295x5, 275x5.

I'm pretty stoked about that. If I would have only gotten 1 rep I probably wouldn't even post about it because I should have done that so long ago. But I feel really good about not only finally getting over that mental hill, but smashing it.

Just have to stay healthy and stay the course.

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-19-2016 05:38 PM #15
      Hell yeah! Now to start chasing that 4th wheel.

Vehicles
      01-19-2016 08:01 PM #16
      Yea 365 is the next big one. Then once I get there 405 won't seem so far away. 315 was a big mental boost. What's another 50 lbs?

Vehicles
      2013 Kia Soul
      01-20-2016 05:11 PM #17
      I thought I'd been treading water all of 2015 with a bunch of personal stuff going on. I more or less hovered around the same poundage for time's sake and worked with resistance bands as best I could. For whatever reason, I loaded up the bar for bench pressing and wasn't entirely paying attention and benched 205. Hadn't done that in 20+ years, which felt great. 300 doesn't seem as far as it used to.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-20-2016 07:30 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      So I finally made the jump to 315 squats. It's been in my head, I was always intimidated by it. I tend to play it safe when I workout alone. But since I started going to this gym with a coach the guys there kinda pump you up and you realize you can do a lot more than you think. So I never did 315 before but I got 315 for a triple today and honestly could have probably done 5.

Then did back off sets with 295x5, 275x5.

I'm pretty stoked about that. If I would have only gotten 1 rep I probably wouldn't even post about it because I should have done that so long ago. But I feel really good about not only finally getting over that mental hill, but smashing it.

Just have to stay healthy and stay the course.
      I'm next! 5/3/1 has me at 295 now but next cycle I may do a joker set or 2 just to get past it in my head.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-21-2016 11:15 AM #19
      OHP 135x2 and BP 185x5

I'm getting it back.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-21-2016 06:39 PM #20
      Loving the high reps in this place.

I hit a backsquat of 250x16 last night. Kinda nice.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      01-22-2016 10:26 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post
      Loving the high reps in this place.

I hit a backsquat of 250x16 last night. Kinda nice.
      Wow. Nice! I thought my 5x10s @ 215 were tough.
      Team Possum 2015

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-23-2016 01:11 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by jtls8 View Post
      Wow. Nice! I thought my 5x10s @ 215 were tough.
      Thats legit. Actually heavier than my 5x10 on this cycle.

My last three sessions were as follows:

10s wave
      Back Squat
      5x10@200
      --
      1x5@180
      1x5@205
      3x10@225
      --
      1x5@165
      1x3@200
      1x1@230
      1xAMAP@250 - 16

Last night I did 3x8 @ 235 on front squat with the SS Yoke bar. Felt like dog**** under the weight though. Kinda phoned in the whole workout, but am surprisingly sore today. Diet may have been **** or something.

Vehicles
      01-23-2016 01:32 PM #23
      What's your 1 rm on the back squat give or take kryp?

Vehicles
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      01-24-2016 12:58 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      What's your 1 rm on the back squat give or take kryp?
      Current "anyday max" right now is probably an honest 365, highbar no belt. Maybe a bit more.

I haven't tested it in a real long time.

Vehicles
      01-25-2016 04:00 PM #25
      Bench today. 230x20x1 singles with 30 seconds rest between each rep. I didn't know what to expect from this workout, never did it before. But I sure as hell wasn't expecting 20.
      Last edited by ultimate steve; 01-25-2016 at 04:21 PM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast