Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Speedo's Beginner Autocross Build

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      99 Golf Wolfsburg Edition
      01-25-2016 08:30 PM #1
      Hi, I'm new to the Vortex but not new to VWs. I don't think that I have owned a VAG car for 10 years but I have had 5 VWs and an Audi in my lifetime. I was interested in starting out in autocross and wanted something that I can work on and enjoy driving so here I am!

I had a suspension setup for a Mk3 (Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs) from an older car still sitting in my garage so I set out to find a cheap Mk3 that wasn't too beat. I ended up picking up a 99 Wolfsburg Golf for a good price that had a recent clutch and other work done the last couple years so I grabbed it.

Here she is:

Took her for a drive, found out that the struts are definitely shot but brakes seem OK, power seems 2.0 typical but its leaking oil quite badly

I knew that it needed a thermostat, and due to that and the cold weather it was throwing a CEL so I replaced that first and cleared the CEL and it hasn't come back.

While I was under the car I cleaned up all the oil mess. It seemed to be coming from the little cover between the oil pan and transmission so I was dreading it being the rear main. Oil cooler seal and oil pan gasket replacements later and it seems to be done leaking.
      Last edited by vw_speed; 01-26-2016 at 01:16 PM.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-25-2016 08:35 PM #2
      The car cleaned up well, clay bar and a polish took most of the luggage scrapes off the back bumper. Interior is pretty decent but the drivers seat needs replacing since the bolster has a big chunk taken out of it.

Shiny!

(I know it looks pink in this pic, but its due to reflection of the red beam in the garage ceiling.)

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-25-2016 08:43 PM #3
      Had a cheap EBay JDM plate relocation bracket so I threw that on:

But it is really ugly pointed up that high.

So, a little hammering and I ended up with this, which is much better:

Currently I have the Konis swapped onto the rear but having some trouble getting the front struts off... was able to get one top nut undone with a 22mm o2 sensor socket and an allen wrench with a bar on both and vice grips on the shaft but the driver's side wont budge at all. I will have air tools in a week or so to help me rattle it off.

The rear hasn't dropped much but seems way more stiff. The bump stops and mounts looked terrible so maybe it was sagged quite a bit already.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      01-25-2016 08:49 PM #4
      So that will catch you up to where I am. Thanks to everyone on vwvortex for getting me even this far, lots of info on here has helped me replace the thermostat, chase down my oil leak and such and I expect that I will use this resource many more times in the future.

Here is my plan for this ride:

- finish swapping the Koni yellows on
      - replace both front seats
      - exhaust (current one is leaking)
      - rims and tires (15 inch, I think)
      - rear sway bar
      - front and rear strut braces

Driver training is in May so I hope to have the car driving and feeling well by then for the start of my first autocross season with a local club.

I will keep this thread updated as I go, just picked up a GoPro and some mounts to record my runs on the track!

323 "we got stick up kids, corrupt cops and crack rocks"
      Vehicles
      '98 VW Jetta GL (RIP), '98 VW Jetta GLS (DD), '98 VW Jetta GLX (The Moth), '88 Toyota Supra
      01-25-2016 09:08 PM #5
      Sub'd

I want to see some auto x action
      "I Self Lord And Master, shall bring disaster to evil factors
      Demonic chapters, shall be captured by Kings
      Through the storms of days after
      Unto the Earth from the Sun through triple darkness to blast ya"-G.U.R.U.
      Quote Originally Posted by toph929 View Post
      This site isnt about keeping good german vws on the road its about ruining them.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1997 mk3 golf
      01-26-2016 01:30 AM #6
      Sub'd I want to get my 97 2.0 golf on the auto X level too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      96 Harlequin Golf 98 Tacoma 4wd
      01-26-2016 01:43 AM #7
      Looks like a nice base for a project. Go fast.
      13.33@101

All Motor, Daily driven 12v Harlequin

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      02-02-2016 11:36 PM #8
      So, the either the dumbo that owned the struts before me managed to totally toast the threads at the bottom of one of them or over three moves and the last 15 years I have had them in the corner of my garage they have gotten mangled. So with that I can't tighten down the strut mount nearly enough after putting the springs on one of them. Ordered a tap and die set, hoping I can run a die over it to clean it up enough. If not, new Konis I guess.

I really should replace the upper mounts on both sides. Looking at getting the upper strut mount kit from ECS.

I would really like to get Ground Control sleeves at some point, but since I really have no idea how to autocross nor how this car will handle I will make that upgrade later for next year's season. The last thing that I want to be playing with is adjusting ride height while I am trying to just learn how to drive.

I did pick up a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the Torque app for Android so I can play with that a bit at the track, maybe overlay some gauges on my GoPro footage of my runs. I'm such a nerd

Vehicles
      96 Harlequin Golf 98 Tacoma 4wd
      02-03-2016 11:15 AM #9
      I wouldn't worry too much about not adjusting ride height. It's not a huge deal other than realigning the car. Of course, any auto-x mod should probably be analyzed per class requirements so that you could be a little competitive if that interests you.

Whatever you have to do to get out there. You'll quickly identify the stuff you need to fix.
      13.33@101

All Motor, Daily driven 12v Harlequin

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      Yesterday 05:31 PM #10
      I chased the threads with an M14 x 1.5 die and some cutting fluid and it fixed up the worn down threads. The nut goes on easy and the struts and springs are all back in. Took it for a quick drive and its much more stiff than before.

This week I will tackle some rust repair, I'll take some before and after shots of what I am dealing with.

For advertising information click HERE