Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mk3 dash in mk2????

1. 03-19-2003 01:31 AM #1
      i was thinking how is it gonna look the mk3 jetta dash on a mk2 jetta?
      any one has pics???

or a mk4 dash what do u think?

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 Sport 1.8T, 1987 GTI VR6
      03-19-2003 05:23 AM #2
      Lucas Quintana
      I'm so e-code that my house is wired for 230V~50Hz and has "Schutzkontakt" outlets.

3. 03-19-2003 05:26 AM #3
      heh nice nice
      im thinkin of gettin one

Vehicles
      1991 VR6 COUPE
      03-19-2003 09:45 AM #4
      i've got one to and i love it .didn't love doing it but it was worht it
      "IF you know more than I do then WHY did you ask me in the first place!"

5. 03-19-2003 12:34 PM #5
      sweeeeeeeeeeeet
      damn i gotta get one

6. Member
      03-19-2003 12:41 PM #6

03-19-2003 01:48 PM #7
      i love it as well, did one in my old 86 Golf crossflow...i miss it, but i wouldnt do it again, not because it was hard...but because of the leg room that is sacrificed with it. Im 6'1 and wasnt too crazy about how close your knees were to the kneebars...look good though

8. Banned
      03-19-2003 10:56 PM #8
      Mk3 dash swaps are awesome in Mk2s....but I doubt that a Mk4 dash would even work/fit in one....has anybody seen this done? If so, that would be pretty awesome.

9. 03-19-2003 11:10 PM #9
      I had a Mk4 dash in my Mk3 without cutting the dash up so I assume with the same work to fit a Mk3 into a Mk2 you could fit a Mk4 into a Mk2. But we all know what assuming does.

03-19-2003 11:12 PM #10
      mk4 dash needs work. its too wide. If you read up in the A3 forum on Eastsides 24v JEtta coupe with the Mk4 dash..they had to custom it because it was too wide and hit the panels a bit. A2 are narrower than A3s...it would defenitaly hit your doors.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      tdi mk4 beater, 91 hipster van
      03-19-2003 11:42 PM #11
      that site says nothing about steering columns...

i thought that was a problem?
      can you retain the complete mk2 steering column?

[Modified by ghostrider, 7:42 PM 3-19-2003]

Dirt-merchant world tour 2005'

nETL, DCI

12. 03-20-2003 03:03 AM #12
      Around how long would it take to install a A3 Dash into A2 golf?

13. 03-20-2003 03:06 AM #13
      damn ... i dunno
      but im gettin one tho

14. 03-20-2003 04:39 AM #14

[Modified by VWRally, 8:40 AM 3-20-2003]

Vehicles
      Mk1, Mk2, Mk6
      03-20-2003 04:58 AM #15
      call me wierd but i like the a2 dash, maybe an a3 cluster

16. 03-20-2003 11:44 AM #16
      About to comment the A3 dash into A2 car very soon.

Problem is, unlike most of you guys in the US who have VR6/1.8T motors. I'm on a 2L 4 cylinder throttle bodied pre-90 spec car.

This means I got 2 plug clocks that i have to try and get working with the Mk3 dash clocks. A wire by wire process I imagine.

AS you can imagine I can't wait to get started NOT.

However, the results speak for themselves. 2 or 3 people I know have done it and it does look mint in an A2. Gonna get mine leathered up to match the interior, and put real nice silver dials in there.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      tdi mk4 beater, 91 hipster van
      03-20-2003 09:08 PM #17
      quote:
      that site says nothing about steering columns...

i thought that was a problem?
      can you retain the complete mk2 steering column?

[Modified by ghostrider, 7:42 PM 3-19-2003]

Dirt-merchant world tour 2005'

nETL, DCI

Vehicles
      '96 Porsche 911 Carrera 4, '10 CC Sport DSG
      03-20-2003 09:22 PM #18
      quote:
      mk4 dash needs work. its too wide. If you read up in the A3 forum on Eastsides 24v JEtta coupe with the Mk4 dash..they had to custom it because it was too wide and hit the panels a bit. A2 are narrower than A3s...it would defenitaly hit your doors.

This is incorrect. It is narrower than the Mk3 dash and we had to put a fill piece in between the dash edges and the A pillars to fill the gaps. It will go into a Mk2 easier than a Mk3 dash will I guarantee cause I've done both the Mk3 dash in the Mk2 and helped with Dave's Mk4 dash in the Mk3. The mk2's door panels barely come into the interior so it wouldnt really interfere with the door panels. I did the Mk3 dash cause I did a complete VR6 conversion and it was just smart at the time. If I did a Mk4 driveline, I'd do a Mk4 dash. SOME trimming would be required but nearly none at the A pillars.

Rich

"Family Feud with Steve Harvey is awesome"

19. 03-22-2003 09:35 PM #19
      Thank you. I love people on the Tex. I had a Mk4 dash in my Mk3 and now this guy tells me it can't be done because he read about it on someone else's web page.

20. 03-22-2003 10:15 PM #20
      i did it, and i love it and NO i wouldnt do it again, but damn it looks great!!!!

21. 03-22-2003 10:25 PM #21
      some1 should post a pic or describe the welding of the mk3 steering column to the mk2

Vehicles
      90 Coupe Vr6sc, 95 Glx, 97 K2 Golf
      03-23-2003 03:29 AM #22
      I'D rather look baller then be baller!

My Huge Coupe Project

03-23-2003 05:20 AM #23
      quote:
      Thank you. I love people on the Tex. I had a Mk4 dash in my Mk3 and now this guy tells me it can't be done because he read about it on someone else's web page.

and you're going to cry about it? Sorry i made a mistake. geez this site sux now

Vehicles
      03-23-2003 05:49 AM #24
      quote:

and you're going to cry about it? Sorry i made a mistake. geez this site sux now

With over 4800 posts, youre allowed a few mistakes I'm sure you have fewer mistakes than helping posts. Dont be bitter

As for the Mk2 column thingy, Just use the Mk3 column but weld the bottom bracket thingy from the Mk2 column to the Mk3 column in the right place and then you get a nice simple bolt in Tilt mechanism

Here are the differences. You need to drill out the spotwelds on the mk2 bracket and grind or air chisel off the Mk3 brackets, remove them from the columns and weld the Mk2 bracket (bottom) onto the Mk3 column (top) so its in the same place it is currently on the Mk2 column. This clips it to the pedal cluster and acts kinda like a fulcrum point near the U joint. If youre using a Corrado pedal cluster with a VR6 swap, it's the same deal.

[Modified by RichPugh, 2:54 AM 3-24-2003]

Vehicles
      Dub-less :(
      03-23-2003 02:29 PM #25
      Here is a nice thorough write-up as well!!
      http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.wolfsburg-edition.info/tips/g3/g3a.htm&prev=/language_tools

The site is translated from German to English. Enjoy.

26. 03-23-2003 03:14 PM #26
      quote:

As for the Mk2 column thingy, Just use the Mk3 column but weld the top bracket thingy from the Mk2 column to the Mk3 column in the right place and then you get a nice simple bolt in Tilt mechanism

Here are the differences. You need to drill out the spotwelds on the mk2 bracket and grind or air chisel off the Mk3 brackets, remove them from the columns and weld the Mk2 bracket (bottom) onto the Mk3 column (top) so its in the same place it is currently on the Mk2 column. This clips it to the pedal cluster and acts kinda like a fulcrum point near the U joint. If youre using a Corrado pedal cluster with a VR6 swap, it's the same deal.

[Modified by RichPugh, 4:53 AM 3-23-2003]

OK rich if I udnerstand you correctly...you're putting the mk2's lower column bracket on the mk3 because the mk3's wont's clip correctly to the pivot on the cluster...correct?

Now here's the confusing part...I am a lil confuse on the upper column...do u have a pic of that? Are you saying use the mk3 support column (that big thing the steering column suppose to attach to in the mk3) and weld the mk2 column bracket on it?

Vehicles
      03-23-2003 04:45 PM #27
      quote:
      OK rich if I udnerstand you correctly...you're putting the mk2's lower column bracket on the mk3 because the mk3's wont's clip correctly to the pivot on the cluster...correct?

Now here's the confusing part...I am a lil confuse on the upper column...do u have a pic of that? Are you saying use the mk3 support column (that big thing the steering column suppose to attach to in the mk3) and weld the mk2 column bracket on it?

When you use the Mk3 dash core support, the Mk2 column no longer works properly. You should use the entire mk3 column with its tilting mechanism all still attached. it bolts with 2 bolts right onto the Dash core support (there were 2 tamper proof bolts on there originally if I remember correctly)... and YES since the Mk3 lower bracket doesnt clip onto the pedal cluster in your Mk2, you use the lower bracket off the Mk2 column, welded on the Mk3 column for it to work properly. I'll look for pics...

-Rich

Vehicles
      03-23-2003 04:55 PM #28
      This might not help much but in this pic, you can see the bumpstop for the Mk3 column. i dont have any pics of the column itself other than the differences in the lower brackets. On either side of this bumpstop is a hole to mount the Mk3 column. There are 2 corresponding holes on the Mk3 column mount. Since the dash core support sits so low in the Mk2 and I wanted a good amount of legroom under the steering wheel with a working tilt feature, I spaced the mount up about 1/2 inch and used long bolts and nuts when I mounted it. It gave it the proper angle to allow it to tilt up and down.

29. 03-23-2003 05:32 PM #29
      OK Rich...u r da man! So there is no welding required for the upper column because it will not be connected to the place where the mk2 upper column originally mount on to...instead it just bolts up to the mk3 crossbream...so the only welding is the lower column..and cross beam to the both side of the car? If this is correct...these are basically those most important info...i've read many info on this...the upper column has always confusing (maybe only to me)...especially if you weren't there to see how the column and stuff actually fit together into the mk3 when you take out the dash...I suggest you people who wanna do a mk3 dash print this out or something.

30. 03-23-2003 06:00 PM #30
      SOMEONE MUST HAVE A MK4 dash IN A MK2 ...can someone post a pic please.....I have seen an audi TT dash in an A1 or MK1 so I know anything is possible

Vehicles
      03-23-2003 07:03 PM #31
      quote:
      OK Rich...u r da man! So there is no welding required for the upper column because it will not be connected to the place where the mk2 upper column originally mount on to...instead it just bolts up to the mk3 crossbream...so the only welding is the lower column..and cross beam to the both side of the car? If this is correct...these are basically those most important info...i've read many info on this...the upper column has always confusing (maybe only to me)...especially if you weren't there to see how the column and stuff actually fit together into the mk3 when you take out the dash...I suggest you people who wanna do a mk3 dash print this out or something.

You basically got it The way the old mk2 column mounted was with those big brackets around the back of the instrument cluster on the bulkhead. The Mk3 simply bolts to the Mk3 dash core support structure with the Mk2 column bracket welded to the bottom of it. You dont have to weld the sides of the Mk3 dash core support to the frame of the Mk2 either. Narrow it and weld the ends to the old Mk2 kneebar brackets that are bolted in the doorjams and then simply bolt in the Mk3 dash core support

There is an order to what you can do.

1. Trim a dashboard to fit. The lead edge will need over an inch in the center and arching out to only about 1/4 inch trim near the outer ends following the arc of the Mk2 windshield. I used an air-reciprocating saw for 99% of all the trimming. The corners where it hits the A pillars needs some clean triming and the defrost ducting needs to be trimmed to clear the bulkhead. (Contrary to some belief, I still think the bulkhead of the car adds some sort of structural rigidity or at the very least 'piece of mind' when retaining it so why cut it or remove it when you really dont have to. A little more ductwork is needed but worth the effort).

2. Narrow the Mk3 dash core support to fit betwen the doorjams. You can kinda see where I narrowed mine to. Feel free to use it as a reference.

3. With the dash and narrowed core support attached together (even if by only a couple screws), and with the old Mk2 kneebar brackets bent inwards and still bolted in the car, insert the dash so it's fitting where you want it and figure out where you need to weld the dash core support onto those kneebar brackets. Tack weld them if you can. A little bending of the cut ends of the trimmed Mk3 dash core support will be needed right here.

4. Pull the dashboard off the core support and bring the core down out of the car and completely weld the core to the kneebar brackets. This whole procedure will ensure the positioning of the dashboard is correct once you go to assemble it all back in the car

(At some point leading up to now, remove that Mk3 steering columns lower bracket.)

5. With the core welded to the kneebar brackets, slid up and firmly secured in the car, take the Mk3 steering column and connect the U joint near the firewall and bolt the upper section at those 2 mounting points near that bumpstop. With that in place, take that Mk2 lower column bracket and slide it around the outer of the Mk3 column (or you could have slid it on before you arttached the column to the U joint) and sort of clip it onto that lower mount perch on the pedal cluster. This will tell you exactly where you need to weld that lower bracket onto the Mk3 column. Tack that in place and remove the column for full welding of the bracket.

6. Once you have the steering column lower bracket welded into place, the Mk3 dash core support firmly secured in the car and the dashboard trimmed to fit, you can sort if assemble it all together now There is also a lower dash dore support bracket that can be used (I personally cut the exhaust tunnel mount off the Mk3 car and will eventually go back and weld it to the Mk2 tunnel for the use of that mount) but if you dont want to deal with all that, its not 100% needed although, it will provide more structural rigidity with the whole dashboard assembly and steering column.

Remember, now that the steering column is mounted to that Mk3 dash core support, ALL the weight you put on it will be relying on how well that core support is mounted. The old Mk2 column was mounted on the bulkhead with that big nasty bracket which supported all the stress of the steering wheel... i.e., getting in and out of the car while holding the steering wheel will now be on your Mk3 dash core install. Do good welding

Any questions on blower motor boxes and controls? Air ducts? LOL

-Rich

[Modified by RichPugh, 2:50 AM 3-24-2003]

32. 03-24-2003 03:35 AM #32
      Bump...this is a ton of info..I can swear that these questions will be asked again and again...amma try to link this in the FAQ post

33. 03-24-2003 08:38 PM #33
      TTT

Vehicles
      Dub-less :(
      03-26-2003 12:32 PM #34
      I have gotten a few im's asking for a link on how to install just a mk3 cluster into a mk2 dash. Here is the link translated from German using Google's language tools.
      http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.freenet.de%2FGrenz os-VR6-Page%2Farmaturen.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

For all those interested in a how to install a mk3 dash into a mk2 look here:
      http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.wolfsburg-edition.info/tips/g3/g3a.htm&prev=/language_tools

Here is a write-up on heating issues after installing a mk3 dash into a mk2:
      http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.wolfsburg-edition.info/tips/heizung/heiz0.htm&prev=/language_tools

Here is a how to install a Corrado dash into a mk2:
      http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.wolfsburg-edition.info/tips/corr/step0.htm&prev=/language_tools

For the mk3 and corrado dash install and the heating info I found that all on one site. Here is the link (translated of course like everything else) that has some more write-ups (i.e. smoking rallye lights):
      http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.wolfsburg-edition.info/tips/tipsneu.htm&prev=/language_tools

The site that has the how to install the mk3 cluster into a mk2 dash also has a great how to install vr6 into a mk2 with each section broken down.
      http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://people.freenet.de/Grenzos-VR6-Page/&prev=/language_tools

I hope everyone finds this information useful.

[Modified by PyroPopTrt, 8:34 AM 3-26-2003]

[Modified by PyroPopTrt, 12:07 PM 3-26-2003]

35. 03-28-2003 08:27 AM #35
      aaaaaaightttt guys

thx for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast