Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Replace front dash speakers on mk3

1. 03-19-2003 09:34 PM #1
      Took out the front speakers to be replaced with some Alpine 4" I have. But the speakers have 2 plugs.

Anyone replace the front deck speakers? If so how did you wire up the speaker with the 2 plugs?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 VW Jetta GLS
      03-20-2003 12:32 AM #2
      I replaced them with a pair of 3.5" coax JBLs I had around. I made my own adapters out of crutchfield purchased VW speaker connectors (I think they're like $5 a pair... shipped free with special link). I basically made a "Y" connector so that I could run both the dash and the door speaker in parallel (2 ohm load I guess).

It requires solder and soldering iron, wire cutters, shrink wrap....

I did have to remove the cardboard spacer ring on the JBLs to get them to fit down in there well enough, used some small screws and washers to hold them down.

3. 03-20-2003 07:48 PM #3
      Got any pics of the y adapter you made?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 VW Jetta GLS
      03-20-2003 09:25 PM #4
      Hrm, don't have pics right now. I wrapped it with bubble wrap and cable ties so that it doesn't rattle on the interior plastic. I'm hesitant to remove all that. If you want me to MS paint a diagram for you, I can do that easily enough. All you have to do is make sure you're wiring things in parallel rather than in series.

I also had a number of old computer fans around so I used the plastic power connectors as a way to plug in my amp. I didn't have the money right away, so I rigged the connector, used the HU's internal amp for a while, then ran wires and plugged in the new amp with the computer-type power connectors.

Lookie here for my ms paint version.
      http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=977&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

[Modified by jwfowble, 2:41 AM 3-21-2003]

5. 03-21-2003 10:11 AM #5
      I'll have to take a look at your diagram and see how I can implement it. The speakers I want to replace with have 2 connectors each for positive and negative. Couldn't I just remove the harness that the current speakers are using the plug all 4 wires to the 4 connectors or am I just asking for trouble?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 VW Jetta GLS
      03-21-2003 11:36 PM #6
      Well, it's in parallel. The front channels basically are two wires which first run to the tweeter (which has a capacitor acting as a crossover) and then the wires run to the door speaker. This means that you have to find some way of connecting the two male connectors in the dash (for each channel) so that you can get the wires in your doors to be active. You could cut the wires and solder them together, but I couldn't do the deed of cutting factory stuff.

7. 03-22-2003 05:44 PM #7
      Ok thanks. I think I got the idea now. I'll try it out tomorrow.