VWVortex.com - I lack the ability to say "No"..or: my '82 Rabbit L 1.6D.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I lack the ability to say "No"..or: my '82 Rabbit L 1.6D.

Vehicles
      16 Chevy SS, 94 K2500, 82 Rabbit 1.6D, Suburban 2500
      02-19-2016 05:24 PM #1
      Years ago I ended up getting rid of a money pit known as a VR swapped MK2 after getting it prepped for paint only to find it lacking 80% of the metal known as the rocker panels and wheel arches. So after being able to finally have a bank account I wandered off back into the domestic world with a few LSx vehicles (C5 FRC, modded C6 Z06, and a Trailblazer SS) I ended up selling the last two to fund a house purchase (f this adulting thing...) and decided recently to get back into my 4th MK1 (but 39th car overall at 27yo. )

Found a friend of mine picked up this 1982 Rabbit from a guy after it's sat most of its life. There are the occasional rust spots such as the pencil eraser sized hole on the rear hatch allowing water to get into the car which you will see some of the damage done to the interior below, as well as a hole about the size of a matchbox car under the drivers seat. The good part is it is solid other than those areas, starts right up and drives but it is a 2 door, non sunroof car with only 97k miles and an FN trans; because of these solid points I decided against my best interest and bought it.

What I need to do:
      -Timing belt.
      -Replace leaking hoses going to Injector Pump
      -Go over the braking system (Vacuum pump needs to be rebuilt)
      -scrub the interior and remove the mold/mildew.
      -Replace the wheels/tires with something safe to drive on when the time comes.
      -Replace headliner
      -Window Seals/Scrapers need to be replaced as they are basically non-existent.
      -Possibly replace all light fixtures with replacements.

The water leak really messed up the interior so I may end up unfortunately not being able to save some things and may have to throw out the back seat and the seat belt buckles that are bolted to the rear floor pan.

Here are some of the pictures I took of it from when it was dropped off and while I was cleaning some things up today.

After getting dropped off:

Needs a cleaning up:

Here is what you can see is over about 80% of the dashboard, hopefully some of my Adams Polishing cleaners can get this stuff off but does anyone recommend a product that will get it back to being clean without ruining the color/material?

This is a 50/50 shot of what I did some work on today before it got dark/cold, hoping the spare well can be salvaged but I will have to take some time and clean it up some more, that is the only 'rust' in the rear of the car aside from the tiny hole in the hatch. I removed the Original spare tire from there as well which will more than likely be scrubbed down and put back in place. I removed the old carpet/wood cover that went over this area but that will be going to the dump as it is rotted out and the carpet is ruined.

Looks like it'll be a fun time, once it warms up I'll be able to dedicate more time to it but unfortunately I can't get too in-depth due to not having a garage to work on it. I can't promise this will get frequent updates due to my work schedule as well.

Hoping to have it be running/driving/stopping and registered well before MK1 Madness 2016.

Thanks for looking, any tips/pointers or sharing knowledge is more than welcome.

Vehicles
      02-21-2016 05:37 PM #2
      Went to Home Depot and got some cleaning supplies, after a pair of gloves and 2 different Microfiber towels (all went straight to the trash) I was able to remove all of the mildew/mold build up on the door cards, dash and steering wheel. Picking up some brand new fuel lines from the injector pump to injectors plus an IP reseal kit since it's spitting fuel out from all areas.

^--thank you, Rusty Jones...

Vehicles
      '08 R32 | '15 GTI
      02-21-2016 06:46 PM #3
      Putting in all that work just to sell it fam.

Vehicles
      07-10-2016 06:22 PM #4
      Lost my job in March so the car had to go on the back-burner so I could pay for bills and the house, and that was no fun task. Finally found a gig and should be starting tomorrow though so all is well! I sold my GMC and got a second wind in trying to get this thing cleaned up inside so I got the gloves and vacuum out and went to town.

When I took the seats out I saw basically the front and rears were damaged from Mold/mildew so I am thinking they are going to be trashed unfortunately, but I MIGHT be able to save the rear with some work. I happened to be searching the local craigslist out of pure boredom and found a replacement set of seats for a very low price so I scooped those up today and just last night I impulse purchased some euro bumpers.

Seats need to have the bases cut down and re-welded to the correct size since the guy I picked them up off of had them widened for a B3 Passat.

Still need to find the time to get the injection pump re-sealed since it pours out fuel when running, just need to get a trailer and tow it over to a local diesel shop.

Vehicles
      07-24-2016 09:43 PM #5
      Took out the heater box and I am glad I did, holy hell was it filthy.

Bought a new heater core while I had it apart then went out to Lowes and picked up some adhesive foam as the stuff on the flaps turned to dust as soon as my fingers touched them. I was going to blast out the blower motor and put it back in but decided since I have everything apart I might as well do it once and ordered a replacement motor from MK1AutoHaus among some other small items.

Here is the inside of the heater box after I hit it with simple green and the hose, the heater core that came out was the original one.

The stuff that is around the heater box is just some of the things that were sitting inside on top of the heater core.

The blower motor should hopefully be here Tuesday so I can finish that up but I've had a random water leak so it turned the interior into a moldy/musty mess and the last part of the puzzle was the carpet....35 years of abuse could be seen up close so I pulled the carpet out as well as the 2 inch thick sound deadening material and just chucked them in the trash.

Heres where I left off before having to run some errands.

Gotta scrape away the globs of glue/adhesive that was laid down for the carpet and try to clean up what I can on the floors. I'm assuming the best methods for removing the thin sound deadening is a heat gun and a scraping tool?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2 clunkers & 2 nicer clunkers
      07-24-2016 10:14 PM #6
      Yup. Heat gun and scrapers.

Not sure what shape your seats and carpet were in, but I usually pressure wash everything and it comes out fine. Stiff scrub brush on a pole and lots of degreaser and detergent.

-Todd

Vehicles
      07-24-2016 10:24 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
      Yup. Heat gun and scrapers.

Not sure what shape your seats and carpet were in, but I usually pressure wash everything and it comes out fine. Stiff scrub brush on a pole and lots of degreaser and detergent.

-Todd
      I probably could have gotten away with a pressure washer and scrubbing on the carpet but it was also showing its age around where the heels usually go and some other high traffic area. I'm probably going to try and just save the rear seat and take the frame apart/clean it up. As for the fronts, I may put them in the shed for the time being because I picked up Recaros; though the bases were widened to fit as B3 so I am either going to try and un-do that or see if someone wants to trade the bases.

Vehicles
      81 Rabbit Diesel, 01 Golf TDI
      07-25-2016 04:26 PM #8
      Rather than tow the car to a diesel shop to get the pump resealed, just pull the pump and take it in. It's a lot easier, and if you have to swap a timing belt anyway, you're halfway there.

I did that to mine ten or so years ago, and paid around $100 to have it totally resealed, plus some other adjustments and tweaks made. I had taken it to a Bosch shop, and they did a great job.

the pump is pretty easy to remove, though when you put it back on it's best to time it. The timing tools aren't too expensive either, and there's a ton of write-ups online to get it timed properly.

The car looks great, btw! I'm looking forward to following the restoration.
      2001 Golf TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
      http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

Vehicles
      07-25-2016 09:58 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MattRabbit View Post
      Rather than tow the car to a diesel shop to get the pump resealed, just pull the pump and take it in. It's a lot easier, and if you have to swap a timing belt anyway, you're halfway there.

I did that to mine ten or so years ago, and paid around $100 to have it totally resealed, plus some other adjustments and tweaks made. I had taken it to a Bosch shop, and they did a great job.

the pump is pretty easy to remove, though when you put it back on it's best to time it. The timing tools aren't too expensive either, and there's a ton of write-ups online to get it timed properly.

The car looks great, btw! I'm looking forward to following the restoration.
      I hadn't thought about that, but at the same time I was also leaning towards having them do it for a little bit more and having the timing belt/pump timing done while they had it just so it was one less thing I had to worry about. A friend of mine wants me to just take the pump off and bring it to his house and reseal it there but the write up I keep seeing makes it seem pretty involved. I have no problem pulling the heads off of an LS7 after doing it last July but an Injection Pump has me thinking its over my head. Shop quoted me ~$370 for IP Reseal, re-time and replacing timing belt...so far I've decided to do all the work myself so maybe I'll have a change of heart and dive into it.

I got some of the old tar like sound deadening off of the passenger side floor, started to come off real easy but then the temp dropped because of a storm rolling in and the firewall portion became impossible. I'll post a picture once I have all of it off. Should hopefully be before the weekend unless the weather doesn't cooperate.

I appreciate the kind words!

Vehicles
      1980 mk1 diesel 1.5
      07-26-2016 12:55 AM #10
      yo your a boss for owning so many rides at 27 (same age) makes me feel like any of the stupid things ive done with cars cant even pail in comparison to your many situations!! Ive heard/seen how insanley complex the internals of an injection pump are. If you can get it resealed for around 100 do it or theres a guy who sells rebuilt ones for 250 plus core. The timing and belt change are things im sure you can pull off; just gotta buy/borrow dial indicator and the correct thread for the pump and dial..... dont stop wont quit

Vehicles
      07-26-2016 12:57 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by bayareafast View Post
      yo your a boss for owning so many rides at 27 (same age) makes me feel like any of the stupid things ive done with cars cant even pail in comparison to your many situations!! Ive heard/seen how insanley complex the internals of an injection pump are. If you can get it resealed for around 100 do it or theres a guy who sells rebuilt ones for 250 plus core. The timing and belt change are things im sure you can pull off; just gotta buy/borrow dial indicator and the correct thread for the pump and dial..... dont stop wont quit
      I've got automotive ADD so I'd pick up a car and have some fun with it then trade it out for something else, majority of them have been VWs but I decided to get back into the GM performance side of things over the past 6 years or so. The C6 Z06 was the best bang for buck car I've owned-- especially since I made money when I sold it.

I'll email the local diesel place or find a Bosch shop that is local.

Vehicles
      Diabolical Hater
      09-02-2016 02:14 PM #12
      Bübëngröpën | yuksquad | BradFabIndustries

Demokratically Elekted "How Do You Work This Microwave" of the Off-Topic Forum.

Vehicles
      09-05-2016 07:11 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by .yuk. View Post

Been a busy couple of weeks with work and a friends wedding, etc. Found another scraper in the back room of my house (bought it last November, still finding random stuff left around lol) and was able to get the remaining tar/asphault deadening up from the drivers side floor behind the pedals. Need to find an easy way to get rid of the awful carpet glue and whatever has landed on the floors over the past 35 years before I can hit it with a quick sanding action and then some POR15.

The hatch ended up having a dozen holes in the metal along the seam where the seal sits so I picked up a shaved hatch from someone, may try to just reinstall the lock cylinder or figure out a way to mount one of those actuators but I've never done it. Still haven't been able to track down the random leak up front where the water ends up under the brake pedal since no matter how much water I spray at the car and no matter where I spray it...it never leaks, only when it rains. Hopefully its just because I have the hvac box out and didn't put the raintray piece back in.

Slowly moving along, definitely don't forsee it being ready for H2O but hoping to have it 110% ready for Madness in 2k17.
      Last edited by IdontOwnAVW; 09-05-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Vehicles
      10-16-2016 02:48 PM #14
      Pretty sure I found the cause of my water leak. Drivers side door seal was dry rotted and water logged, came off in couple dozen pieces even with a heat gun. MK1Autohaus part slid right in the door and should hopefully do the trick.. Im using the weatherstripping bond from 3M in sections since it is a messy messy thing to use.

Vehicles
      02-05-2017 10:45 PM #15
      Dusting this thread off a little bit, got the car onto a tow dolly and off to my friends garage so we can finally work on the thing. Hoping to have it mechanically ready for MK1Madness.

Vehicles
      02-16-2017 11:41 PM #16
      Some activity!

Got the engine out, waiting for the guy to come pick it up:

Took a long time but got the fenders off on both sides to check for rain tray rot, that undercoating on the inner fender is a bitch.

Front motor mount was rotted out so we decided to try and patch it since a repop westy front is $$$ I'd rather spend on an ALH or BEW donor car even though I've got a 98 Jetta out front which was originally purchased as the donor.

That's where we called it a night, the front apron has a few dents and the lip wasn't uniform so I cut off the rusted areas and we'll see what we can do for it; worst case I'll pick up a small duckbill.

We unfortunately creased the fenders slightly when popping them off the front end thanks to the massive amounts of seam sealer but hoping it won't be too noticeable.

Vehicles
      03 SVT Focus /98 Silverado
      02-17-2017 12:49 AM #17
      Doing it right man. I have the same face shield lol. Also, nice to see the guard on the grinder....

Vehicles
      02-17-2017 08:04 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      Doing it right man. I have the same face shield lol. Also, nice to see the guard on the grinder....
      Yeah I don't really skimp on safety stuff, I of course had goggles on when cutting the front of the apron and got hit in the eye since it went up my cheek but it bounced out luckily.

I use a junk hoodie, a friend gives me some welding gloves and we cut away.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-26-2017 12:08 PM #19
      This thread needs updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      03-26-2017 01:49 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      This thread needs updates.
      Sorry I'm doing my best! Heres a small update, the donor car being dropped off at a diesel shop to have it gone over due to some pump issues:

More updates on the car itself are coming soon, just been buying some parts and looking for some coilovers at the current moment. Once I order coilovers I can finish removing the undercoating from the fender wells and put the front suspension back together. I bought a new Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, new Calipers/pads...just need to find GTI rotors and the caliper pins since I threw the old ones away by accident.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-26-2017 01:59 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      Sorry I'm doing my best!
      I was just poking, I'm familiar with slow burn builds!

Sent from the Future via Google SkyNet
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 09:17 AM #22
      Welp, bit of a kink in the gears as far as the TDI swap goes: Donor car has compression issues, could be rings or could be a warped head...not sure what steps I want to take yet. but Cyl1 had 290, cyl2 had 150, cyl 3 had 100psi and he wasn't able to get the glow plug out on cyl 4 for a reading.

My friend and I will have to finish up working on the body but in the meantime I may have to take the head off or re-ring the pistons.

For advertising information click HERE