VWVortex.com - Porsche 914 project thread: A downtown barnfind.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 914 project thread: A downtown barnfind.

Vehicles
      Mazdaspeed3 Gen2
      03-16-2016 01:23 PM #51
      I love skinny girls and clean 914's.

so in.

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      03-23-2016 09:46 AM #52
      Not a lot of progress as of late, I did receive the new dash, and the new 10 piece carpet kit. Passenger side inside floor has tar removed and took a wire wheel to any rust and then sealed it up. Still need to do the drivers side and then I can put the interior back together. I want to have the interior in before I drop the engine and trans, just because of space limitations in my garage.

I had that friend of mine that does paintless dent removal come check out the front quarter panel.

Too much damage for him to be able to pull out, so I ordered a half fender. On this car the fenders are spot welded all around, so to drill out all of the spot welds is a serious task. I'll be cutting the fender midway through the wheel well and splicing the new section in. It's thick sheetmetal, and I have experience welding sheet metal butt joints like this, so I'm pretty confident I can make it seamless. If all else fails I can always drill out all of the spot welds and replace the whole fender, but might as well give this a shot first.

That part of the project may wait until next winter though, and in that time I might change my mind about wanting to splice in half a fender.

Finally, I picked up a set of wheels locally off Craigslist. Not my first choice but it'll be something I can use to drive on. This one isn't my picture, mine are a bit dirtier and have really bad tires mounted up.

A pic of what they'll look like on the car, again, not my pic.

They are Dan Gurney 15x5.5. I did see that fifteen52 is going to be coming out with a 4-lug outlaw wheel for the 914/Beetle crowd, doesn't look half bad, would look great with some black shadowing I think. Going to leave this as an option, not sure when they'll be released though.

Currently looking at tire options in a 205/65-15 or 205/60-15. Summer only tire. Not a ton of options out there.

Anyway, all large project purchases are currently on hold until I sell my 1965 F100.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      03-23-2016 09:50 AM #53
      Save yourself the hassle. Just replace it.
      DCIVW
      CE.

4. Member
      03-23-2016 09:56 AM #54
      BTW those magnus wheels will be $$$$$ I'd just go with some 4-bolt Fuchs or Mahle jr gasburner wheels.

If you can find some Revolution 17x7" 4-bolt wheels, they are cool and will open up a larger pool of tires:

Any yes the tire choices are tough! Even with 16" wheels on mine there are only a few options.
      -------------------------
      02 S6 Avant / 99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip
      73 914 2.0 / 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC
      65 Ducati Falcon 80

5. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-23-2016 10:18 AM #55
      If those are the same Western Wheels that were on my convertible Beetle when I got it, they're heavy.

No, I don't mean "I'm a wannabe racer and these aren't ideal, so I'm going to call them heavy". I mean if you pick one up with no tire on it you instantly say "daaaaaamn!"
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      03-23-2016 10:26 AM #56
      Hmm, never noticed the weight on the Gurneys when I was moving them around, but good to know.

Really not a fan of large wheels on the 914, I think 15's are perfect, maybe 16's if it's the right design. Those Magnus wheels will probably be more than I'm willing to pay unless they build a cast 1-piece version.

Vehicles
      '14 IS350 F Sport, '15 Moto Guzzi V7
      03-23-2016 10:47 AM #57
      Awesome progress so far! This is going to be a good thread

8. 03-23-2016 10:55 AM #58
      Just to chime in. Jake Raby is a great source for parts and information.

The 914 has always been a favorite of mine. 2.0 with cam and decent head work and carbs will be a very nice daily drive. Look for a Mallory Vw/Porsche type 4 distributor. There's plenty of information about these. The unilite module is a great asset on these cars and being able to effectively change the advance rates to match the cam is even better.

16" Fuchs look great on these. Just enough meat and girth to fill the wells.

Keep posting OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-23-2016 11:07 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Ephry73 View Post
      Just to chime in. Jake Raby is a great source for parts and information.

The 914 has always been a favorite of mine. 2.0 with cam and decent head work and carbs will be a very nice daily drive. Look for a Mallory Vw/Porsche type 4 distributor. There's plenty of information about these. The unilite module is a great asset on these cars and being able to effectively change the advance rates to match the cam is even better.

16" Fuchs look great on these. Just enough meat and girth to fill the wells.

Keep posting OP
      That Mallory might just be the only really good distributor for the 914 because of the differences in rod ratios compared to the Type I. They do make a single vacuum dual advance version, don't they? If so, that's a great start, but you'll want to talk to people about what advance springs and timing that you'd need to run. I have no experience with them.

As far as the weight of the wheels goes, there may have been more than one manufacturer of that basic design. Mine had steel or iron cast into the aluminum. (No, really... It was weird and I can't imagine it was great on a metallurgical level.) And that is what made them so freakin' heavy. Yours may be quite a bit different.

10. 03-23-2016 11:30 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      That Mallory might just be the only really good distributor for the 914 because of the differences in rod ratios compared to the Type I. They do make a single vacuum dual advance version, don't they? If so, that's a great start, but you'll want to talk to people about what advance springs and timing that you'd need to run. I have no experience with them.
      That is correct. I have used both weight only and vacuum assist. JRaby is a great source for adjustment on these.

11. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-23-2016 12:13 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Ephry73 View Post
      That is correct. I have used both weight only and vacuum assist. JRaby is a great source for adjustment on these.
      Good to know. I'll file that information away for possible use later.

12. 03-23-2016 01:16 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Save yourself the hassle. Just replace it.
      I'm assuming you're talking about the fender? Because if that's the case I agree with this guy.

Vehicles
      03-23-2016 02:08 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      I'm assuming you're talking about the fender? Because if that's the case I agree with this guy.
      Yes. Yes I am.
      DCIVW
      CE.

14. 03-23-2016 02:32 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Yes. Yes I am.

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      03-23-2016 03:21 PM #65
      I've noted your opinions.

It's not really more of a hassle than replacing the whole thing, in the grand scheme of things. This isn't a simple unbolt and replace job, I wish it were. The fenders are spot welded all the way around, and I believe it's a seam weld against the cowl. The spots welds are (estimating here) half of an inch apart, many of which may be very difficult to get to.

Additionally, finding a good whole front fender is difficult. The way such a fender would need to be removed from the donor car would mean quite a bit of work to get it attached. Taking that all into consideration, it would be less of a hassle to splice in the piece that I already have, do a little bit of metal work, and prime/finish it. Especially considering I've done this type of repair before with zero filler (only last time it was on thinner metal = more difficult)

Here's an example from jmill on 914world

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      03-30-2016 09:13 AM #66
      Did some more work on peeling off the old floor tar on the drivers side. Cleaned up a little rust there too but overall it's solid.

New carpet kit is here, new drivers seat bottom upholstery from 914rubber was delivered today, I have a new strip of the basketweve material for the dash face, and the dash cap I got has been staring at me for a week or so. I really need more time to work on this right now, I'm itching to get the interior back together. Once the interior and gas tank are ready to go I'll drop the engine and start on my favorite part of car building.

I met a guy from 914world who had some miscellaneous 914 parts that he was looking to get rid of. Scooped those up because you never know what a new project is going to need.

Today I was able to jump on a chrome front bumper for my car, bought it off eBay and then saw that the seller was literally 10 minutes from me. Drove there over lunch and picked it up, as well as a rubber bumper trim top piece (is that the official name?) Overall price was around $100, so it was an awesome deal.

In somewhat unrelated news, I surprised my wife with another car on Easter.

Rewind a bit for a backstory. Before we were married, my wife bought a 1991 Volkswagen Cabriolet in an effort to "woo" me because I was a VW guy. She learned to drive a manual in it. She was dedicated. Later we were married but didn't have a lot of money. We had her Cabriolet, a $900 Lincoln Towncar, and a VW Rabbit project that wasn't running/driving. She drove the Lincoln because it was more comfortable, didn't leak water all over your arm, and had working heat. I drove the Cabby that had none of those things. She loved the VW though, especially in the summer with the top down. Eventually we were able to get better daily driving cars but it meant having to sell the Cabriolet.

She often talks about missing that car.

Ok, back to the present day. On Easter day she was inside relaxing, I scheduled a few people to come look at a pickup that I'm selling. She had no idea I also scheduled the seller of the Cabriolet to come drop it off in our driveway. Then I went in and got her, made her come outside, and she was absolutely speechless. She walked out to the garage 3-4 times over the course of the evening to just look at it. And joked about how our cars were having conversations in German while we weren't in there.

It needs a little work, but nothing crazy. I'll replace the top, and the seats, and fiddle with the fueling to get it running but otherwise it's solid. Just in time for the beautiful Minnesota spring too.

So currently we're up to 5 cars, but the 1965 F100 sold on eBay Monday, and the buyer will be picking it up at the end of the week (which means more 914 goodies)

Finally, a shot of the new seat cover on the drivers bottom next to the old cover. Until now this piece was the worst of my interior, now I just have to decide if I want to reupholster the rest of the drivers seat.

And for reference, the rest of my seats.

Vehicles
      03-30-2016 10:11 AM #67
      I covet your Cabby. An '87 was my first car.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      03-30-2016 10:39 AM #68
      since you are re-doing the interior, might I suggest changing up to a 72' or later back panel and seats??? it will give you the movable passenger seat instead of fixed.
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      03-30-2016 10:41 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by You'reDrunk View Post
      since you are re-doing the interior, might I suggest changing up to a 72' or later back panel and seats??? it will give you the movable passenger seat instead of fixed.
      Lol, already been over that. I prefer the early fixed backrest for it's uniqueness and originality. Also, the new backrest and passenger seat I got are in great condition.

Vehicles
      03-30-2016 11:16 AM #70
      Good deal on that front bumper. I like the chrome. It offsets the rest of the car. Except for the last year with those weird squares.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      03-30-2016 11:55 AM #71
      For sure, I'm a fan of the chrome. I'll need to see if my bumpers were chrome originally or if they were painted. If there's still chrome on the rear bumper under the paint it would be great, then I can just strip off the paint and have matching bumpers. Otherwise I'll need to source a rear chrome bumper, or have mine stripped and re-chromed.

Vehicles
      74 R90/6, '98 XJ, 914
      04-09-2016 10:45 PM #72
      New rubber for the new wheels arrived and got them mounted up. Looks good to me.

205/60 tires on 15x5.5" wheels.

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      04-09-2016 11:08 PM #73
      Honestly, a good body guy could work the wrinkles out of that fender, apply just a skim of filler and have it looking right. You might want to explore that before going to the trouble of cutting those spot welds, then having to butt weld across the face of the panel.

I'm jealous, I've always loved these cars, just could never find one in PA that wasn't rusted to ****. Now the values seem to have shot up from where they were just 10 or so years ago. I guess they are kind of riding the coattails of the aircooled 911 bubble.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      04-10-2016 04:08 AM #74
      How come I missed this thread...

Cool build.

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI, 94 993
      04-10-2016 05:34 AM #75
      Great thread and story

Awesome work on the steering wheel too!
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Is it weird that I want to cram into the back seat in cycling clothes and feel the mechanical vibrations as you tear around the Outback?

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast