VWVortex.com - Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061 LastLast
    Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1524

Thread: Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000

Vehicles
      Ls1 E36, 13 Focus
      06-13-2017 09:38 AM #1451
      Quote Originally Posted by julianv View Post
      I'm not so bothered by the aesthetics of that centrally-mounted screen, but I'm a bit concerned about consolidating all those readouts and controls into one device. It's a single point of failure that could disable a lot of functionality. Let's assume that the car can still be driven with a dead display. I wonder if they will provide some sort of fall-back mechanism. Perhaps the most important functions can be accessed via a WiFi connected smart phone app.

Of course, Elon Musk is thinking a few years ahead, when everyone has upgraded their Model 3 to Autopilot. Who needs a dashboard? Start the car, dictate your destination, tap the buttons for Ludicrous mode and autonomous driving. Kick back, pop a beer, and watch "The Fast and Furious 24" on the central screen.
      If your screen dies, you can just buy a OBD to VGA adapter and plug in your computer monitor.
      Past: 94 Jetta, 89 Accord (beater), 97 Jetta GT, 91 Mazda 626 (beater), 02 Audi A4, 07 Civic (commuter), 06 BMW 330i, 12 GTI

Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1963 356
      06-13-2017 09:44 AM #1452
      Model Y chop looks like an angry Donald Duck.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

3. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-13-2017 10:27 AM #1453
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      The Prius has been doing without a driver side binnacle for over a decade not to mention Mini doing it for 2 generations.
      Yes, and so did the Saturn Ion. I hated that, too.

The Mini gets somewhat of a pass because the tach is in front of the driver with the warning lights and there's a history there for when the car was built to be as cheap as possible with both left-hand and right-hand drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-13-2017 12:59 PM #1454
      Quote Originally Posted by julianv View Post
      I'm not so bothered by the aesthetics of that centrally-mounted screen, but I'm a bit concerned about consolidating all those readouts and controls into one device. It's a single point of failure that could disable a lot of functionality. Let's assume that the car can still be driven with a dead display. I wonder if they will provide some sort of fall-back mechanism. Perhaps the most important functions can be accessed via a WiFi connected smart phone app.

Of course, Elon Musk is thinking a few years ahead, when everyone has upgraded their Model 3 to Autopilot. Who needs a dashboard? Start the car, dictate your destination, tap the buttons for Ludicrous mode and autonomous driving. Kick back, pop a beer, and watch "The Fast and Furious 24" on the central screen.
      Thats a really good point. I wonder if they'll offer voice recognition and audio feedback Knight Rider style.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-18-2017 10:24 PM #1455

Some new information from a source over at Model 3 Owners Club.

"'...'hold onto your hats' as things are about to start happening very soon and and fast."
      - Colors and wheels are the only options being produced/delivered for the first 3 months. The configurator is supposed to show all options, available at launch or not, along with expected timelines.
      - Black interior is the only option during this initial phase. The wood trim found on the dash is real wood but species is unknown.
      - Alcantara liner in door panels making it to production.
      - Several thousand Model 3s will be stockpiled and ready for delivery by the end of July.

I'm excited to see how the launch pans out.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Volt LT
      06-18-2017 10:42 PM #1456
      My first mod might be a gauge pod and a GPS speedometer mounted in front of the wheel.

7. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-18-2017 11:22 PM #1457
      Quote Originally Posted by Relax View Post
      - Several thousand Model 3s will be stockpiled and ready for delivery by the end of July.
      Excellent. Don't let my disdain for the touch screen mask my admiration for the project. That's quite the hurdle they're working on and it all sounds very promising.

I'm excited to see how the launch pans out.
      As am I.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 A3, 2015 Q5
      06-19-2017 07:15 AM #1458
      While stripped models with only 2 options makes logistical sense (and lets Elon finally meet a committed delivery date!), I'd assume most early reservers want optioned cars... so the first in will be waiting longer than latecomers.

For their sake, I hope Elon and co. can stagger against the rebate to really drag it out.
      Last edited by Karma; 06-19-2017 at 07:17 AM.
      Gentlemen, you had my curiosity. But now you have my attention.

06-19-2017 09:21 AM #1459
      Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
      While stripped models with only 2 options makes logistical sense (and lets Elon finally meet a committed delivery date!), I'd assume most early reservers want optioned cars... so the first in will be waiting longer than latecomers.
      Just because there's only 2 options doesn't mean they are stripped. The opposite is more likely: there are only 2 options to choose from because the early cars already HAVE every single option equipped. Because they are fully loaded, there is no way to add more options to them, leaving only swapping the wheels or paint color.

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      06-19-2017 09:49 AM #1460
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Just because there's only 2 options doesn't mean they are stripped. The opposite is more likely: there are only 2 options to choose from because the early cars already HAVE every single option equipped. Because they are fully loaded, there is no way to add more options to them, leaving only swapping the wheels or paint color.
      If there are options that will not arrive at launch then logically these are not loaded cars. Unless Elon plans to surprise everyone with loaded cars then loaded Plus+ cars later as he kills off the base model.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      06-19-2017 10:27 AM #1461
      They won't be loaded cars at launch.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

12. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      06-19-2017 11:05 AM #1462
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      I disagree. Tesla needs to start generating some serious cash, and the way to do that is begin selling well equipped cars at near $50k rather than the entry level models that lose money. They're not going to dig a deeper hole.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      06-19-2017 11:19 AM #1463
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      I disagree. Tesla needs to start generating some serious cash, and the way to do that is begin selling well equipped cars at near $50k rather than the entry level models that lose money. They're not going to dig a deeper hole.
      They won't be dual-motor cars at launch, there won't be P performance cars at launch. That insider said that the configurator will show options that aren't available yet. It sounds like the nicer interior won't be available at launch.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      06-19-2017 11:25 AM #1464
      He will call them loaded Premier models and then find more options to put on them in 6 to 12 months. Plus we have already established that the first ones won't be AWD.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-19-2017 12:46 PM #1465
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      I think your both right, it's going to be somewhere in the middle (between $40k and $50k). like Ryukein said, the most sought after P and D models won't be available at launch. We know that for sure. I also doubt they will have a cold weather package or premium interior options available. However, I can easily see them shipping cars with the larger battery pack, glass roof, 19" wheels and auto-pilot options.

This may all be irrelevant due to the fact that there are over 50,000 Tesla, SpaceX, and SolarCity employees who stand in front of the 500,000+ waitlist. Production could be occupied for months fullfilling employee orders alone, depending on how many of them order the available config of the Model 3.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-19-2017 01:12 PM #1466
      on more update via Electrek

Tesla is starting Model 3 battery cell production at Gigafactory 1 ‘right now’

Tesla has confirmed that it started production of the new Model 3 battery cell at Gigafactory 1 in Nevada over the weekend – an important step toward launching the production of the Model 3.

The new battery cells are believed to be key to Tesla achieving the necessary cost reductions that enable the Model 3’s $35,000 starting price tag before incentive.

Tesla’s new 2170 format battery cells went into production back in January, but those cells were using Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC) chemistry for stationary energy storage products, Tesla’s Powerwall and Powerpack.

But for its vehicle battery packs, Tesla has been using Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (NCA) chemistry optimized to cycle in electric vehicles. While the company confirmed that they would still be using different batteries for their vehicles, they didn’t confirm if it would still be a NCA chemistry.

Nonetheless, Tesla said that it aimed to start the production of those vehicle cells during the second quarter and Tesla’s co-founder and Chief Technology Officer, JB Straubel, confirmed this weekend that the production of the cells has started at Gigafactory 1.

He confirmed it during a keynote presentation at Midwest Renewable Energy Association’s 28th Annual Energy Fair in Wisconsin on Saturday. Straubel said that they were “right now” starting the production lines for the new Model 3 battery cells and preparing to ramp then up as needed for the production of the car.

Tesla has designed a new battery module and pack architecture to use the 2170 battery cells in the Model 3. The cells are manufactured by Panasonic, while Tesla is in charge of manufacturing the modules and overall battery packs. Everything is done under one roof at Tesla’s Gigafactory 1 in Nevada.

Neither Panasonic nor Tesla have released much information about the new cells, but Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been boasting about them over the past few months. He said that it’s the “highest energy density cell in the world and also the cheapest”.

The company has been aiming to achieve a 35% cost reduction with the new cells. At first, they will only be used in the Model 3, but Tesla also plans to transition Model S and Model X on the new cells as they increase production.

By the end of 2018, Tesla plans to reach a production rate of 50 GWh of battery pack energy capacity at Gigafactory 1, which could be enough to produce 500,000 cars and a lot of Powerwalls and Powerpacks.

The new cells could also feature improved durability. Tesla battery researcher Jeff Dahn has been talking about significant breakthroughs in improving the lifecycle of li-ion batteries, but it’s not clear when those improvements will make it into Tesla’s cells.

Nonetheless, the start of Model 3 battery cell production is an important step toward the launch of the vehicle.

While the battery packs are produced in Nevada, they are then shipped to Tesla’s Fremont factory, where Tesla plans to start producing the Model 3 in July. A delivery event is planned for the end of the month.

17. 06-19-2017 01:42 PM #1467
      So Panasonic has staff in the Gigafactory? Interesting.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      06-19-2017 01:51 PM #1468
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      So Panasonic has staff in the Gigafactory? Interesting.
      It's a joint venture. It's always been a joint venture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1

19. 06-19-2017 03:00 PM #1469
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      It's a joint venture. It's always been a joint venture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1
      Didn't realise that. Good to know.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      06-19-2017 06:01 PM #1470
      However, I can easily see them shipping cars with the larger battery pack, glass roof, 19" wheels and auto-pilot options.
      I can almost guarantee the big packs are available right from the start. At least physically.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

06-19-2017 06:56 PM #1471
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I can almost guarantee the big packs are available right from the start. At least physically.
      There's two headline numbers that sell EV's: Power and Range. Tesla has never been low on power and I'm sure even the first 2WD models will ship with a good deal of power, or at least enough to beat the Bolt in a drag race, and the Bolt isn't exactly a slow car. I believe the Bolt runs 5-60 mph times competitive with the GTI PP for example. So most likely the Model 3 will be quicker still.

As for Range, I think Tesla will be hurting if they release the Model 3 with a shorter range than the Bolt. I suspect that if they are able to, they will release a high enough capacity model, perhaps 65 or 70 kwh initially so they can beat the range of the Bolt, then release 50-55 kwh versions later on for the people who only need a 180-200 mile real world range and would like to save the several thousand dollars they should be able to save with the lower capacity pack. We'll see though. Either way, I have high hopes for the short to mid-term results for Tesla (meaning the next 1-7 years) while the EV field isn't too crowded.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227, Bluestar (preordered)
      06-19-2017 07:05 PM #1472
      on more update via Electrek
      Shouldn't the battery be called the 21-700?
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

23. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-19-2017 08:24 PM #1473
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      There's two headline numbers that sell EV's: Power and Range. Tesla has never been low on power and I'm sure even the first 2WD models will ship with a good deal of power, or at least enough to beat the Bolt in a drag race, and the Bolt isn't exactly a slow car. I believe the Bolt runs 5-60 mph times competitive with the GTI PP for example. So most likely the Model 3 will be quicker still.

As for Range, I think Tesla will be hurting if they release the Model 3 with a shorter range than the Bolt. I suspect that if they are able to, they will release a high enough capacity model, perhaps 65 or 70 kwh initially so they can beat the range of the Bolt, then release 50-55 kwh versions later on for the people who only need a 180-200 mile real world range and would like to save the several thousand dollars they should be able to save with the lower capacity pack. We'll see though. Either way, I have high hopes for the short to mid-term results for Tesla (meaning the next 1-7 years) while the EV field isn't too crowded.
      I think you have it just about right.

Of course, that's just speculation, so take it for whatever it's worth.

Vehicles
      x3 M Sport 28i
      06-19-2017 09:05 PM #1474
      Cancelled my reservation today. Simply not excited by anything I've seen. Staying open minded, but at this point I think it's going to be more of a peoples car rather than a smaller model S. Hopefully after the initial release they'll drop 3P model with 3-4 second 0-60 and a $60,000 price tag and I'll be back. For now I'll take $1000 credit. I have a feeling many others have done the same.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-19-2017 10:34 PM #1475
      Quote Originally Posted by texture View Post
      Cancelled my reservation today. Simply not excited by anything I've seen. Staying open minded, but at this point I think it's going to be more of a peoples car rather than a smaller model S. Hopefully after the initial release they'll drop 3P model with 3-4 second 0-60 and a $60,000 price tag and I'll be back. For now I'll take $1000 credit. I have a feeling many others have done the same.
      It was always meant to be a peoples car rather than a smaller model S. Elon did a bunch of "anti-selling" of the Model 3 while praising the Model S to get that exact point across.
      There are plenty of used P85+ Model S cars for around 48k that go 0-60 in 4.2 seconds if your interested.
      If you can hold out until 2020 and pinch pennies, Porsche is slated to release their Mission E for less than $78k. I have a feeling it's going to be amazing.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061 LastLast