VWVortex.com - Who in their right mind would trade a Porsche for a Mustang?!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who in their right mind would trade a Porsche for a Mustang?!

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      04-28-2016 01:58 AM #1
      Well, we did.

But first, a little background. The girlfriend and I are car enthusiasts to the core. There is nothing we'd rather be doing in our free time than engaging in activities where our hands are wrapped firmly around a steering wheel. We auto-x together, we drag race together, and we hit the road course together. While I have two cars to split the entertainment from the daily grind, she makes do with an all-in-one package. For the last few years, that was our 987.2 Boxster S. Absolutely brilliant car. It was quick, reliable, refined, and most of all such a joy to hustle around that it made everything that you climbed into after the fact feel vague and lifeless by comparison. The best steering feel I've ever felt in a vehicle, hands down, and such a low polar moment that the car would change directions almost telepathically. Porsche has the secret sauce for blending comfort and ability, and they certainly aren't shy about bending you over the table for it. While we bought our Boxster slightly used, it was stickered at 73k.

While we were absolutely content with the Porsche, Lia always had an itch for some V8 muscle sound, and a want to have a canvas we could really mold. The Porsche was a suspension only car, with nothing in the way of power mods. We tossed the idea of doing a GT3 plenum, tb, exhaust, tune, etc, for the car, but the gains are so minimal that we could never bring ourselves to part with the money. The car was still good for consistent 12.8-12.90s @ 107-109 with Lia behind the wheel bone stock. Looking back, the car really did serve us well in all aspects.

So after tossing the idea about a new car back and forth, one night we ended up in a local dealer looking at a scatty challenger. Personally, we think its the best retro styled muscle car out of the trio. We knew the weight and size of the car would be a shock coming out of the porsche, but god damn, the challenger is a boat. We loved the way it looks, the interior, the powertrain (the ZF 8 with the 392 Hemi is just absolute silk, seriously), but its like driving a damn suv around. During the test drive Lia literally came out of her seat while parking and peered up and over the steering wheel at the corners of the car like she was parking a 1/2 ton. It was hard to stomach. So we decided to keep looking. The camaro was next on the chopping block for a test drive, so off to Chevy we went. Neither one of us were particularly keen on the 6th gen camaro's looks (I can tolerate the front and profile, but the rear, ugh), but we figured we owed ourselves a test drive for the sake of thoroughness. After seeing the car in person, we didn't change our mind on the aesthetics. I will say this though, its a sad day when the Camaro is the enthusiast choice in the segment. Its lighter, faster, better dampened, and generally feels smaller around the driver then the other 2 players, chevy definitely did their homework. If buying cars was an objective exercise, I would have to say your search would have to end here. That being said, we couldn't get over the terrible visibility, the awkwardly downward angled nav screen (maybe for the sake of glare reduction, yet it seemed to do nothing in that regard), the sitting in a tub driving position, and just otherwise lack of "soul". Maybe we were just geared not to like the camaro off bat due to aesthetics, but after driving it, even being objectively better in pretty much every performance metric, we just didn't feel a connection with the car. We got out, returned the keys, and didn't glance back as we walked back to our car.

We always kind of knew the mustang was going to be the choice for us, which is why we looked at it last. We figured if we went there first, we'd probably leave in one, and wouldn't give the other 2 the look they deserved. Personally, I grew up turning wrenches on my foxbody and working on 2v's, 3v's, and 4v's. Back in the day, I had a mustang, my buddies had mustangs, and their buddies had mustangs :lol: So when people ask, are you a mustang or camaro guy, you know what camp to place me in. We knew we wanted an auto premium GT with 3.55s, nav and sensors, but just couldn't find one in town. Every auto car we saw didn't have the 3.55s, which led us to the elephant in the room. Why the hell are we buying an auto car? Lia had never driven a manual car in her life, yet firmly considers herself a car enthusiast. We have flirted with the idea of teaching her to drive stick, but we all know the only real way to gain proficiency is to be thrown into the fray. You're not going to get it, driving it on the weekends. You need to be forced to do it daily. I told her she had to put her money where her mouth was, and that I would teach her if she was willing to learn. After some long winded conversations, with a trembling voice lacking conviction, she said; "lets do it". So the search switched to a premium PP car, and that's exactly where we ended up. I told her (being a past owner of numerous black vehicles, and also being OCD AF), my only request; no black cars. Comp O, guard, or DIB. Guess what we bought?

It aint new if you're not the one peeling the plastic

Last pic of the Porsche

With 2.7 miles on the clock, the papers were signed, and off we went. Well, off I went, Lia drove home in my daily, since she couldnt drive the car yet

Every night that week we were practicing and getting her up to speed. I also spent every night that week coming home reaching for the bottle of Makers . If you want to add some excitement to your life, try to teaching your significant other who's been driving autos for 15 years how to drive stick. Numerous times throughout the experience I deeply pondered; why did I sign up for this sh*t again?

But, we pressed on. Much to her dismay, I promised her that I would have her driving by herself in a week. I lied. I got it done in 4 days. With around 6-7hrs total time wheeling a manual car, I finally set the bird free to fly on her own. It was a very very proud moment for me to watch her drive down the road on her own accord.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      04-28-2016 02:16 AM #2
      looks great! the Mustang has always been a fun-to-drive all arounder, I'm sure you (she) won't regret going for the standard transmission.

3. 04-28-2016 02:35 AM #3
      I find the new ss especially in this color a fairly pretty car with good angles, but that new stang is the best theyve put out ever. Great buy hope you guys love it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
      duh, winning.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      04-28-2016 02:40 AM #4
      That is one shiny interior. But I can't hear the exhaust note through pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      E36 M3/4, R55 Clubman S, ND Miata
      04-28-2016 02:49 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      It was a very very proud moment for me to watch her drive down the road on her own accord.
      That's a Mustang, bro. Not an Accord.

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      04-28-2016 03:30 AM #6

The 5.0L/6-speed is a fantastic combo, just an utter pleasure to drive.

04-28-2016 04:41 AM #7
      Do a Skid!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      04-28-2016 05:21 AM #8
      My first thought was, "well if it's a new GT that makes sense..." Sheer awesomeness all around.

But, pics of girlf... Oh, wait. You truly left no stone unturned here. Awesome purchase!
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Rather than being all Mr Money Moustache about this, I'd say go for it and be Mr SS Mustache about it but that has a whole different historical implication.
      Every person in TCL who has the means to buy one [a Chevy SS] but doesn't right now should be shot. Sorry, I've spent too much time in the Florida gun thread today.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      04-28-2016 05:26 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by proximal View Post
      That's a Mustang, bro. Not an Accord.
      Hey, you need to adjust to a more civic attitude, or this could be the prelude to a ridgeline overlooking all of us being fit to be tied, and I have neither passport nor pilot to another car forum like this one if I get banned, which I'm afraid might happen because I couldn't work S2000 into this run-on sentence.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Rather than being all Mr Money Moustache about this, I'd say go for it and be Mr SS Mustache about it but that has a whole different historical implication.
      Every person in TCL who has the means to buy one [a Chevy SS] but doesn't right now should be shot. Sorry, I've spent too much time in the Florida gun thread today.

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      04-28-2016 06:35 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      Hey, you need to adjust to a more civic attitude, or this could be the prelude to a ridgeline overlooking all of us being fit to be tied, and I have neither passport nor pilot to another car forum like this one if I get banned, which I'm afraid might happen because I couldn't work S2000 into this run-on sentence.
      Golfclap.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      04-28-2016 06:51 AM #11
      Great purchase! I too would've preferred the orange but it does look mean in black.

And I know all about the woes of teaching my SO manual. A lot of followed by
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-28-2016 06:55 AM #12
      New car looks great. Now go mow down some spectators.

Side note: I have a girl named 'Lia' in my life too - spelled the same way. Don't see that spelling very often.

Vehicles
      MY16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line (prev. owner: VW AG, Wolfsburg)
      04-28-2016 07:09 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      That is one shiny interior. But I can't hear the exhaust note through pictures.
      Ohh man, the exhaust note. I heard something loud start up in the local supermarket's parking garage the other day and waited to sde what it was. It was a prev-gen Mustang, a 5.0. I was surprised how good it sounded.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Edition 30
      04-28-2016 07:36 AM #14
      Great looking cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2014 GLI Edition 30 - DSG with Nav - Reflex Silver Metallic

Vehicles
      mk5/ap1
      04-28-2016 07:39 AM #15
      Is the Viper manual? Does she get to drive that too now?

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R
      04-28-2016 08:16 AM #16
      You guys seem awesome. Great car, I'm sure she'll be a pro in no time

Vehicles
      '16 e-Golf SE, '00 GTI 1.8t, '15 Accord Sport CVT, '92 F-250 4X4
      04-28-2016 08:28 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post

I will say this though, its a sad day when the Camaro is the enthusiast choice in the segment. Its lighter, faster, better dampened, and generally feels smaller around the driver then the other 2 players, chevy definitely did their homework. If buying cars was an objective exercise, I would have to say your search would have to end here.
      Why would you say it's a sad day? Does not the Camaro have a rich history of performance?

As you say yourself, you and your girlfriend are enthusiasts and you chose a Mustang. You valued other things beyond raw numbers and made your choice. Personally, I am a Chevy guy, so I would probably go Camaro. Even so, I can find no fault with someone choosing a Mustang or a Challenger if either of them better suits their needs/wants. Neither of those choices is in any way a slouch in the performance department.

I personally think it's a GREAT day when american car enthusiasts have 3 great vehicles to choose from. It's fantastic that this latest round of Mustang vs. Camaro has brought about the best versions of either car that there have ever been. Not only that, but they can go against the best in the world and hold their own.

Vehicles
      '16 FiST, '90 Miata
      04-28-2016 08:28 AM #18
      100% approved. Well done.

19. 04-28-2016 08:43 AM #19
      I have tio say I love the new stangs dash just looks right

20. 04-28-2016 08:44 AM #20
      Meh. The knees are way too sharp.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      04-28-2016 09:48 AM #21
      I remember seeing you at that Auto X. You should come back with the Mustang.

04-28-2016 09:54 AM #22
      slowhatch is living the dream

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      04-28-2016 09:55 AM #23
      Maybe I skipped over it, but now that your lady friend can drive a manual, when does she get to take out the Viper?

Not sure I would make the same trade, but it's also hard to argue against the lineup of a viper and mustang GT.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      04-28-2016 10:12 AM #24
      While I've always loved the look of your Boxster, definitely nothing wrong with this swap.

I hope the wife's manual lessons go well. I had a bit of the opposite problem. My wife and I were looking at used cars for her, and a couple good options happened to be manuals. I took her to the local airport parking lot, started teaching her, and she was a natural. Then, public roads. She scared herself by stalling it while trying to turn left at an uphill intersection. A salesman tried again with her, but no dice. She has it in her head now that she "can't drive stick," even though she was doing so damn well. Now it's a mental block.

Like I say, hope it's better for you! That black GT looks just like one a local ~80-90 year old drives. Custom plates: POW RCR.

Vehicles
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      04-28-2016 10:21 AM #25
      just make sure she watches all the mustang crashing videos so she knows what NOT to do

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast