VWVortex.com - The Oddball Pro Touring Thread.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Oddball Pro Touring Thread.

Vehicles
      1999 Honda Civic EX & 1997 Volvo S90
      05-14-2016 09:47 AM #51
      I did not need to see this thread. But I do need an LS powered, pro-touring Checker Marathon complete with taxi decals.
      Previously Owned: 96 Discovery/65 Corvair/93 Corolla Wagon/89 LeSabre/96 Camry/99 Regal GS/95 Accord/98 C-SVT/90 LS400/89 Supra/91 Legacy SS/01 CVPI/92 Mark VII/87 200SX/90 325i/03 TL-S/98 SC2/00 JGC/02 Forester/95 LS400/95 Audi 90/01 Jetta VR6/93 LS400/96 Camry/00 Cavalier/06 Speed6/92 190E/04 Accord/95 & 05 Civic/01 Cavalier/97 Bravada
      Current: 97 Volvo S90+99 Civic

2. Member
      05-14-2016 09:53 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
      If anyone is interested, my Aunt is selling this. My uncle passed away a few months ago. It's in Canada, so it'll be 33% cheaper!
      She is open to offers - just wants to move it on.
      http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/...ationFlag=true

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      05-14-2016 11:03 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
      whoa

4. 05-14-2016 11:32 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Geechie_Suede View Post
      I did not need to see this thread. But I do need an LS powered, pro-touring Checker Marathon complete with taxi decals.
      I'm thinking this one is a bit more Pro-Street than -Touring...

Vehicles
      16 Chevy SS, 94 K2500, 82 Rabbit 1.6D, Suburban 2500
      05-14-2016 11:58 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      This isn't a full size coupe interior:

That's a Camaro.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Mustang GT Premium; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      05-14-2016 12:05 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post

Too much?
      Too much for me, but compared to other pro touring cars, this isn't too bad actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      The exterior aesthetic is desirable, the interior is not. Replace the bad with the good and you have a great exterior and great interior. You damn idiot.
      No need to be such a douche.

Maybe to you the exterior is desirable and the interior is not. To me, the performance of a modern car under the hood and in the suspension and wheels/stance is desirable, while keeping both the exterior and interior pretty stock. To me pro touring is an old car inside and out with modern performance, not an old car that's completely gutted and new except for the body. When the car starts having street rod style interiors...yuck. The old interior is just as desirable as the old exterior, IMO. Who cares if it isn't comfortable, you aren't daily driving it so who gives a crap. If you can't handle a cruise night or a road trip in an old car without whining about comfort, there's a new gold Camry sitting at your local Toyota dealer.

To each their own, but having been in multiple pro touring cars, they just feel like new cars and don't feel special.

Here's a '73 Camaro with a 4th gen LS1 interior. Not nearly as extreme as some interiors, but the 4th gen Fbody interior is probably one of the worst production interiors in history from a cheap bulky plastic junk standpoint. Why on earth would you put this travesty in your '73? Should just buy a 4th gen Fbody, you can smell 1998 in this car:

Last edited by puma1552; 05-14-2016 at 12:12 PM.

7. 05-14-2016 12:54 PM #57
      You may hate the revised interiors, but they are in there for a reason.... If you don't have a great seat with lots of side support you're just in there flopping around holding onto the steering wheel. When I first did my car I had Kirkey seats in there and after the first event I went to, my ribs hurt for a couple of weeks. I've since switched to a Sparco and the change has helped a ton....

If the car doesn't corner hard then you can get away with a stock interior.

Here's my addition to weird cars competing in auto cross/pro touring.... Some of the competitions they give me some stink eye, but I pull out pictures of my d/gas cars from the late 60's and early 70's and they calm down... and my poor little 4 banger does pretty good against those professionals LOL

Here's my sticker from my last weekend out::::::

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      05-14-2016 01:53 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Fiatdude View Post
      You may hate the revised interiors, but they are in there for a reason.... If you don't have a great seat with lots of side support you're just in there flopping around holding onto the steering wheel. When I first did my car I had Kirkey seats in there and after the first event I went to, my ribs hurt for a couple of weeks. I've since switched to a Sparco and the change has helped a ton....

If the car doesn't corner hard then you can get away with a stock interior.

Here's my addition to weird cars competing in auto cross/pro touring.... Some of the competitions they give me some stink eye, but I pull out pictures of my d/gas cars from the late 60's and early 70's and they calm down... and my poor little 4 banger does pretty good against those professionals LOL

Here's my sticker from my last weekend out::::::

I completely agree as I'm one of "those guys" that wants a Cobra kit-car, Superformance or F-Five, but will have to do something about low-back buckets as that's just not feasible with my neck and back issues (one fusion thus far). Buuuut, those beige seats posted from the Toyota in a Pro-Tourer is bordering on gross/tacky. Some buttons, tufting or resculpting of the foam would've gone a long way while still giving all the benefits over an old, flat seat with nearly no support at all.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 03 Elantra, 72 Yamaha XS-2
      05-14-2016 06:16 PM #59
      Those seats are out of this C10. It's definitely not pro touring style just lowered. Only shared because the comment about putting updated interior into older vehicles struck me as funny.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fusion
      05-14-2016 06:22 PM #60

We need MOAR!!!

Capri

Vehicles
      87 Bronco, E34 525i, 78 W200, 91 LX 5.0
      05-14-2016 07:42 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by MK2*GTI*GUY View Post
      The scene is really going strong for them. We just came out w/ a new unit bearing floater kit for 9" rear ends. Uses both Wilwood and Baer brakes

Looks cool, but why unit-bearing? Are they rebuildable or would you have to replace it?
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      People always like to throw around words like "no" and "title" or "illegal" or "feds", but at the end of the day, they're just words.

12. 05-14-2016 08:02 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      Looks cool, but why unit-bearing? Are they rebuildable or would you have to replace it?
      I'm sure the beating will be replaced as a unit and not rebuildable, another reason for that is probably ease of maintenance and also of the axle breaks you don't have to worry about it coming out as if it had c clips. I'm not sure if c clips were ever used on 9" tears tho....

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      05-14-2016 09:00 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by NashGTI View Post
      Those seats are out of this C10. It's definitely not pro touring style just lowered. Only shared because the comment about putting updated interior into older vehicles struck me as funny.

I've seen newly "bolstered", original style bench seats in restored trucks and think that's the way to go. Knowing those seats are in the truck makes it laughable. They in no way go with any theme going on nor look the part at all.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

14. 05-14-2016 09:22 PM #64
      This thread is one of the many reasons I love TCL!!!

Vehicles
      '12 Mazda2, '09 Forester
      05-14-2016 09:54 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Fiatdude View Post
      Seats, fine, but there's no need to mess with the dashes, door panels, etc. to try to make those look "modern." Half the time these modernized interiors have luxobarge "buckets" with scarcely more support than '70s seats.

If we're talking these 1970s cars, hell, Recaro was well into the aftermarket business by then... Recaro LS with the mesh headrests were factory equipment on stuff like Mustangs and Trans Ams by the late '70s. They'd be ergonomic, comfortable, and look proper in a classic interior.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 03 Elantra, 72 Yamaha XS-2
      05-14-2016 10:18 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
      I'm sure the beating will be replaced as a unit and not rebuildable, another reason for that is probably ease of maintenance and also of the axle breaks you don't have to worry about it coming out as if it had c clips. I'm not sure if c clips were ever used on 9" tears tho....
      Doing a bearing this way would make it more serviceable than a typical 9 inch with the bearing pressed onto the axle. Unless someone knows of some oddball setup 9 inch were held in with plates on the end of the axle tube and never C clips so you wouldn't really gain anything there. My guess is you hit it on the nose with replacing the axle as that seems to be the one big advantage to this set up is quick changing axles for race/off road applications.

Vehicles
      2000 Dodge Durango
      05-14-2016 11:14 PM #67
      Moar pictures guys!

Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy! View Post
      The one part of the car that actually touches the road is the one people cheap out on the most
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      They are only NEW once, the rest of their existence is that of decay. Like life, it's not about lasting forever but making the best of what little time we do have.
      Impatiently waiting to buy a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU)

18. 05-15-2016 07:53 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by nopal 6.0 View Post
      We need MOAR!!!

Capri

Capri with a mustang hood?

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      05-15-2016 09:19 AM #69
      Moar pictures guys!

I think that's Frieberger's Buick that they stole wheels off to take their Valiant Lemons racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      Capri with a mustang hood?
      That's an early Fox body Mustang with updated lighting and silly wheels. The rest of the graphics etc. are more-or-less factory.
      2005 Subaru Forester X/1980 Honda CM400E/1987 Porsche 944S

BattleRabbit takes Pictures!

20. 05-15-2016 03:16 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      That's an early Fox body Mustang with updated lighting and silly wheels. The rest of the graphics etc. are more-or-less factory.
      If you look closely, it's evident that the silly wheels are needed to fit over the YUGE brakes. Which are needed due to the Whipple charged SVT Cobra 4.6, which probably makes at least 5x the horsepower of the stock carbed 5.0.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-16-2016 09:35 AM #71
      I love that Pace Car '79 Mustang. It is amazing.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      05-16-2016 02:22 PM #72
      One of my faves from the past couple of years is the "Pissed Off Valiant". Patina body with a metric ****-ton of new technology packed in. Warning, some of you are not going to like the interior....Lol.

DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2015 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
      05-16-2016 02:42 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      Fairlane

I want this soooo damn bad.

Vehicles
      the big three and a deere
      05-16-2016 02:50 PM #74
      later A body GM cars ('73+) are really starting to grow on me, they are still plentiful and inexpensive right now. I'd love me a 73 Chevelle coupe.
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

Vehicles
      05-16-2016 03:01 PM #75
      Also a big fan of the Jegs Jega. LSX, custom frame, a stock looking, but customized interior.

DCIVW
      CE.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast