VWVortex.com - I'm importing a 1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo. (whew!) Let's see how this goes.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 274

    Thread: I'm importing a 1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo. (whew!) Let's see how this goes.

    1. Member gonzo08452's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      yorba linda, ca
      Posts
      9,122
      Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      05-15-2016 12:31 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Turq View Post
      The Infiniti M30? If so, they're related. The M30 was an F31/Y31 Nissan Leopard; which was related pretty closely to this Y31 Cedric; The Leopard at that point was -basically- a two-door Cedric.
      Yup, that's the one. I liked those when they came out.

    2. Member IIsides's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2005
      Location
      Where I'm at...
      Posts
      985
      Vehicles
      '14 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke/Mk4 Jetta R32T/'07 GSX-R 1k
      05-15-2016 12:50 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      6 more years and I can bring in a Pajero Evolution.

      When I lived in Kuwait some years back, this Kuwaiti guy I hung with from time to time had a '98 with a big turbo and some suspension mods pumping out a little over 500hp. I met him at a get together another friend was having and I heard him in the distance and expected an Evo...When I saw it pull up, I was like wtf is that? I never saw or heard of it before that point. Next day after some convincing, he took me for a ride once in it across the desert and DAMN it took small jumps like a champ too. Needless to say, I fell in love with it, and it would definitely make my short list of cars I would import
      Quote Originally Posted by Optima
      Make a mistake in your life. Love something that is frustrating yet rewarding. Sell it and regret it.

      Such is the life of a true auto enthusiast.

    3. Member fbobberts's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2008
      Posts
      2,140
      Vehicles
      E24 project car hell, something broken with a turbo.
      05-15-2016 02:31 AM #28
      Hnnnnggg...

      https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca.../b10/17583973/

      Some JDM Alpinas are already on the list as importable, since they are close to US sold BMWs.

      https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca...hers/17554536/

      Think modern B5s are okay up to 2006. This is just not something I want to be thinking about.

      Oh bloody hell....

      https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca...7415534/?sp=21

      That's a Tipo 4, like the Alfa 164 we had here but in Lancia dress. With a Ferrari 308 / Mondial type engine,
      the 32 valve 3.0 liter 8. This one is rough, but they were very rare cars.

      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfWJ5qfqQc
      Last edited by fbobberts; 05-15-2016 at 02:40 AM.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

      Quote Originally Posted by Wellington P Funk View Post
      Simpleton? I think you've both got me mixed up with someone else.

    4. Member bc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2001
      Location
      Next to the airport, Tokyo
      Posts
      5,547
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN, something else
      05-15-2016 04:33 AM #29
      Cool post. Not sure if I would choose the same car.

      It's amazing what TCV has done to the export business here. Some of those cars look like bargains, but be careful as many times they are filled with smoke fumes/fart dust and other nefarious pathogens.

    5. Member Code Red!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 22nd, 2011
      Location
      deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties
      Posts
      2,461
      Vehicles
      Gee oh elle eff, Vee oh elle tea
      05-15-2016 06:44 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Agree. And having now owned a RHD import, I can attest to the fact that people go bananas over stuff like this, even if it's some ****ty Jeep or a beat 1980s econosedan. OP can take his car to just about any meet or show, and people will push past classic Porsches, concours-level Lincolns, blown Corvettes and stanced VWs....just to see why your steering wheel is on the wrong side and to look at something they've never heard of.
      Exactly why I keep eyeing a RHD import, just for the pure WTF factor.

      Besides, how could you say no to a RHD, RWD, Mid-engine 5MT 656cc Honda convertible?

      http://japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/...-festival-red/

      ...so much want.


    6. Member bc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2001
      Location
      Next to the airport, Tokyo
      Posts
      5,547
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN, something else
      05-15-2016 07:19 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
      Exactly why I keep eyeing a RHD import, just for the pure WTF factor.

      Besides, how could you say no to a RHD, RWD, Mid-engine 5MT 656cc Honda convertible?

      http://japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/...-festival-red/

      ...so much want.
      And that want is the reason beats/az1s with accident history are demanding nearly 10k usd wholesale at the auctions.

      very much want indeed


    7. Member Fahrzeug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2004
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      275
      Vehicles
      2006 Infiniti M35X, 1989 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV (VG20DET), 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0 (SR20DE)
      05-15-2016 11:00 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Thanks for posting this! Any clue what shipping costs will be like?

      Just when I got done fantasizing about importing a 25-year Defender 90 or 110 diesel from the UK, my wife piped up "you know, I'd really like to have a defender..."

      She might even have a family friend who can hook us up with one.. so I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself going through this same process sometime in the next year or two.

      I also really want a diesel manual trans 80 series Land Cruiser. I guess it'll have to be one or the other.
      Awesome, let us know how your experience goes! When you use tradecarview you will get a price from the seller that includes shipping and insurance, mine was roughly around $1000 for the shipping + insurance. This may also depend on the seller you are dealing with, some get better deals than others it seems.

      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Seems like a lot of work, when you probably could have tracked down a clean Supra-powered Toyota Cressida in the US instead.
      True, but this is WAY cheaper and less trouble free. I could end up with a huge headache for more money.

      Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
      This is one of those things that most folks just would not get. It looks like a 1st gen Mazda 929 to me in the pics. But.... I'd definitely notice this on the street. Especially if he drops it a bit (?) It's cool because YOU can't have it. Hopefully, it doesn't matter to him that you don't want it.

      I am really grateful that he is taking the time and effort to document this process. I bet trying to figure this out via google search is a bit maddening.
      Thank you, I appreciate it. I definitely wanted to do something different, and you're right, it doesn't matter much to me what I could and couldn't have gotten.

      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      But then you'd just have a Toyota Cressida with big bumpers and sliding seatbelts. I actually like MX83's, but they're nothing special.

      Whereas if you import a Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo, you will NEVER encounter another one on the road. Hell, I had never even heard of the "Gran Turismo" version of the Cedric before this thread. I think it's an inspired choice--an oddball car like this would be welcome at any "Cars and Coffee" type variety meet anywhere in the country
      Thank you, I plan on taking it to my local one here in Great Falls, VA when I get it ready to go.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jordan 191 View Post
      I like the c pillar shape on this model. Very nice sedan styling!
      Thanks, I like the wrap rear window shape as well. However I can see that this car would not pass our side impact protection because of the lack of the B-Pillar.

      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Is this similar to that Infiniti model that debuted with the first Q45?
      This model was based only on JDM chassis we never got. It's the same as the Leopard, Cefiro, and the first generation Cima.

      Quote Originally Posted by sy0296 View Post
      congrats!!! sucks for us out here in cali where the 15 year rule does not apply

      GL and keep the thread going with updates please!!
      Thanks, I will. Canada is lucky, they have been able to get R34 Skylines for some time now!

      Quote Originally Posted by Turq View Post
      The Infiniti M30? If so, they're related. The M30 was an F31/Y31 Nissan Leopard; which was related pretty closely to this Y31 Cedric; The Leopard at that point was -basically- a two-door Cedric.
      Yep, and if Nissan gave us the Leopard and even the Q45/President with JDM options they got instead of that turdbox M30 we ended up with, people would have looked at Infiniti much differently when they started in America.

      Quote Originally Posted by bc View Post
      Cool post. Not sure if I would choose the same car.

      It's amazing what TCV has done to the export business here. Some of those cars look like bargains, but be careful as many times they are filled with smoke fumes/fart dust and other nefarious pathogens.
      I've heard this, but I won't know until I get it how it smells inside. I guess that's the biggest downside to getting cars all the way around the world.

      Also, I got the final inspection pictures yesterday. Here she sits at port and also the verification of the mileage: Also, when it's all said and done I will have less than $5000 invested in this car. I've bought bigger pieces of crap in the past for more money.



      I don't know why they took the trunk lock off, but it is laying on the center console. I hope it's not a unobtanium part to fix it!



    8. I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      17,005
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-15-2016 11:06 AM #33
      OP do you know if this car has a current JCI? A lot of JDM cars which go up for export are being sold because they failed the JCI in a serious way and cannot be repaired. Just buyer beware if the JCI is expired.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

    9. Member Fahrzeug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2004
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      275
      Vehicles
      2006 Infiniti M35X, 1989 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV (VG20DET), 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0 (SR20DE)
      05-15-2016 11:23 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      OP do you know if this car has a current JCI? A lot of JDM cars which go up for export are being sold because they failed the JCI in a serious way and cannot be repaired. Just buyer beware if the JCI is expired.
      He didn't specify when it was last inspected but I will ask, thank you!

    10. Senior Member Ryukein's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2006
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      26,988
      Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      05-15-2016 04:22 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Agree. And having now owned a RHD import, I can attest to the fact that people go bananas over stuff like this, even if it's some ****ty Jeep or a beat 1980s econosedan. OP can take his car to just about any meet or show, and people will push past classic Porsches, concours-level Lincolns, blown Corvettes and stanced VWs....just to see why your steering wheel is on the wrong side and to look at something they've never heard of.
      Absolutely! At Cars & Coffee a couple weeks ago there was a pristine RHD Rover SD1 and people were going nuts over it. It had a much bigger crowd around it than the 675LT or the classic 911s or the (very nice) E30 M3.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

    11. Member VWmk3GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2013
      Posts
      1,139
      Vehicles
      1998 Golf GTI, 1968 Beetle, 1999 Jeep Wrangler, 1974 Suzuki TS125, 2003 Passat GLX
      05-15-2016 04:35 PM #36
      in
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I’m not judgmental, so when I see a person push the wrong pedal, I never assume what gender she is.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

    12. Member FujiTekniques's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2000
      Location
      Purist Central
      Posts
      7,919
      Vehicles
      '95 M3/'87 325is/'87 535is/'80 320-6
      05-15-2016 06:37 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Agree. And having now owned a RHD import, I can attest to the fact that people go bananas over stuff like this, even if it's some ****ty Jeep or a beat 1980s econosedan. OP can take his car to just about any meet or show, and people will push past classic Porsches, concours-level Lincolns, blown Corvettes and stanced VWs....just to see why your steering wheel is on the wrong side and to look at something they've never heard of.


      This makes me smile. I love C & C events for this reason and I have a new RHD project in the works. A long ways off, but it will be at next year's Vintage in North Carolina.

    13. Member bc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2001
      Location
      Next to the airport, Tokyo
      Posts
      5,547
      Vehicles
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN, something else
      05-15-2016 07:01 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      OP do you know if this car has a current JCI? A lot of JDM cars which go up for export are being sold because they failed the JCI in a serious way and cannot be repaired. Just buyer beware if the JCI is expired.
      The seller should also provide you with the original auction sheet to help you verify mileage and any problems identified by the auction inspectors. It should look like this:

    14. Member turbo_nine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2000
      Posts
      12,021
      Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-15-2016 07:02 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Agree. And having now owned a RHD import, I can attest to the fact that people go bananas over stuff like this, even if it's some ****ty Jeep or a beat 1980s econosedan. OP can take his car to just about any meet or show, and people will push past classic Porsches, concours-level Lincolns, blown Corvettes and stanced VWs....just to see why your steering wheel is on the wrong side and to look at something they've never heard of.
      And then ask you HEY DO YOU DELIVER MAIL IN THAT?
      call it potatography

    15. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      trendy homeless camp, OR
      Posts
      39,393
      Vehicles
      german and british
      05-15-2016 08:02 PM #40
      Nice! Curious to see how this goes

    16. Member Fahrzeug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2004
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      275
      Vehicles
      2006 Infiniti M35X, 1989 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV (VG20DET), 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0 (SR20DE)
      05-16-2016 12:18 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by bc View Post
      The seller should also provide you with the original auction sheet to help you verify mileage and any problems identified by the auction inspectors. It should look like this:
      I don't think the seller got this car at auction, so I don't have it.

      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      And then ask you HEY DO YOU DELIVER MAIL IN THAT?
      I was thinking about that I would get asked that question. I'll tell them, I REALLY LIKE DELIVERING MAIL!

      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      Nice! Curious to see how this goes
      Thanks!

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2012
      Location
      DFW
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      05-16-2016 12:25 PM #42
      Good thread and good choice.

      Been looking at importing a RHD car myself since I've always been a JDM nerd at heart

      From my trip last August, I hung out with a few people I met in Kobe who deal with import/export business involving vehicles and since they are proficient in English (they are from the Indian subcontinent so that explains it lol) it would help with the process on my end.

      Subscribed to this thread to see how it goes. My main choices are of course an R32 GTR (even though they have increased in value these days), a Nissan Safari/Patrol, or a Toyota Century even. Keeping my options open at this point.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2012
      Location
      DFW
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      05-16-2016 12:26 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      OP do you know if this car has a current JCI? A lot of JDM cars which go up for export are being sold because they failed the JCI in a serious way and cannot be repaired. Just buyer beware if the JCI is expired.
      Don't worry, majority of them end up being dumped in the Russian Far East anyways

    19. Member Hogan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2005
      Location
      Annandale, VA
      Posts
      3,157
      Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2006 Honda VTX1800C, 2012 Civic SI, 1997 GMC Suburban
      05-16-2016 12:49 PM #44
      This is really awesome, thanks for all the info! I've wanted to import a Peugeot 205 GTI for a long time now, and while it probably still doesn't make sense for me to do it right this second, it's really nice to have someone finally outline what all needs to be done, and what costs are associated with it. It definitely adds a bit more perspective to this little dream of mine, and actually looks pretty doable, all said.
      2007 Volkswagen GTI/2012 Honda Civic Si/1997 GMC Suburban/2006 Honda VTX1800C

    20. Member whiteboy1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2001
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      4,795
      Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      05-16-2016 12:51 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrzeug View Post
      Also, It's hard to argue with that awesome B-Pillarless (is that even a word? ) look.

      I thought you were crazy until you got to this point. Big body four doors with no b pillar are just my favorite.

      My Lincoln will eventually be this way as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

    21. 05-16-2016 12:59 PM #46
      That website it such a bad rabbit hole to go down.

      For whatever reason I feel way too drawn to this Chaser.

      https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca...aser/18591783/

      From the awesomely 80s two-tone to the whorehouse red interior.


      But only 5 more years till I could import a 5th gen Chaser Tourer V. A TRD version of that car was a race victory award in GT2 and I was my favorite car to play for the longest time.

    22. Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      22,092
      05-16-2016 01:00 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Seems like a lot of work, when you probably could have tracked down a clean Supra-powered Toyota Cressida in the US instead.
      Cressida is midsize which is one class size below Cedric.

      Cressida ~ Skyline
      Crown ~ Cedric

      Cressida is for uncouth junior accountants who can't afford real fullsize Japanese 4 door coupe.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2012
      Location
      DFW
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      05-16-2016 01:25 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by DesertJets View Post
      That website it such a bad rabbit hole to go down.

      For whatever reason I feel way too drawn to this Chaser.

      https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca...aser/18591783/

      From the awesomely 80s two-tone to the whorehouse red interior.


      But only 5 more years till I could import a 5th gen Chaser Tourer V. A TRD version of that car was a race victory award in GT2 and I was my favorite car to play for the longest time.
      Or move to Australia or NZ and get one quicker.

    24. Member saron81's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 22nd, 2006
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      5,040
      Vehicles
      Fiesta ST, Flex
      05-16-2016 01:39 PM #49
      Saw this at the grocery store the other day... first time I've seen one in real life. Only in Gran Turismo before that (that's how I know what it was, lol.)

    25. Member Fahrzeug's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 29th, 2004
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      275
      Vehicles
      2006 Infiniti M35X, 1989 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV (VG20DET), 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0 (SR20DE)
      05-16-2016 02:21 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      Good thread and good choice.

      Been looking at importing a RHD car myself since I've always been a JDM nerd at heart

      From my trip last August, I hung out with a few people I met in Kobe who deal with import/export business involving vehicles and since they are proficient in English (they are from the Indian subcontinent so that explains it lol) it would help with the process on my end.

      Subscribed to this thread to see how it goes. My main choices are of course an R32 GTR (even though they have increased in value these days), a Nissan Safari/Patrol, or a Toyota Century even. Keeping my options open at this point.
      Awesome, I noticed pretty much all big SUV's or Skyline GT-R anything usually goes for big money. Century's are reasonably priced. You should have many many cars to choose from when the time is right.

      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      Don't worry, majority of them end up being dumped in the Russian Far East anyways
      I noticed there is a lot of Russian information on these cars. That's even harder to understand when translated!

      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      This is really awesome, thanks for all the info! I've wanted to import a Peugeot 205 GTI for a long time now, and while it probably still doesn't make sense for me to do it right this second, it's really nice to have someone finally outline what all needs to be done, and what costs are associated with it. It definitely adds a bit more perspective to this little dream of mine, and actually looks pretty doable, all said.
      Thank you! I had the same dream and I got sick of hitting a dead end, I just jumped into it.

      Quote Originally Posted by whiteboy1 View Post
      I thought you were crazy until you got to this point. Big body four doors with no b pillar are just my favorite.

      My Lincoln will eventually be this way as well.
      LOL I am crazy! What lincoln do you have?

      Quote Originally Posted by DesertJets View Post
      That website it such a bad rabbit hole to go down.

      For whatever reason I feel way too drawn to this Chaser.

      https://www.tradecarview.com/used_ca...aser/18591783/

      From the awesomely 80s two-tone to the whorehouse red interior.


      But only 5 more years till I could import a 5th gen Chaser Tourer V. A TRD version of that car was a race victory award in GT2 and I was my favorite car to play for the longest time.
      Very nice, I didn't see that one for sale. The Tourer V is pretty badass, I have a few cars that I'd like to get in the future and I can add that one to the list, lol

      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Cressida is midsize which is one class size below Cedric.

      Cressida ~ Skyline
      Crown ~ Cedric

      Cressida is for uncouth junior accountants who can't afford real fullsize Japanese 4 door coupe.
      LOL! I didn't know those cars had a stigma associated with them in Japan.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •