VWVortex.com - I'm importing a 1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo. (whew!) Let's see how this goes.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm importing a 1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo. (whew!) Let's see how this goes.

05-31-2016 10:57 AM #76
      In because the OP went after a car that not a lot of people would go for. Cool car and can't wait to see what you do with it.

What is involved in doing a "Gloria conversion" and why?

I approve!

Chris
      | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      05-31-2016 11:03 AM #77
      In for updates. I love this sort of thing.
      DCIVW
      CE.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 VW Golf TDI DSG, '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '96 Honda Civic CX (stock)
      05-31-2016 11:42 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Nice car! I can't believe I didn't find your thread until now. About the whole JDM attention thing, I specifically want a daily-driver-sleeper and don't want it to be noticed. If I get a RHD car imported, I plan to tint the glass so that it doesn't draw attention. There would be a line of car thieves around the block if they knew. The reason I want to get the Aristo is because you can get parts for it here. If I bought a Skyline, what would I do when it breaks? The Yahoo auction site you linked to looks cool but I can't imagine it's quick or cheap like RockAuto.com.

The biggest problem right now is that I can't even find any 1991 Aristo's. Every day that passes brings us closer to the 1992 RX7 too. That's just financial suicide of course but it is tempting.
      What's so special about early model JDM FD's compared to the USDM ones? At least with the Aristos and Celsiors, they have features that the USDM models never got.

I'm personally dreading the RHD MK4 Supras being legal here now.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 12:01 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      What's so special about early model JDM FD's compared to the USDM ones? At least with the Aristos and Celsiors, they have features that the USDM models never got.

I'm personally dreading the RHD MK4 Supras being legal here now.
      This is debatable but, the JDM cars are cheaper and in better condition than used cars in the US. For some stuff, that's not true, like how someone just sold a Phaeton W12 for $20,000 on this forum. For other stuff, like the Lexus GS300/Toyota Aristo, they're definitely cheaper to buy from Japan even after paying the broker/shipping etc. OP on this thread did some of that himself to save costs but even if you just pay the broker, Derek Weldon (Pacific Coast JDM) charges a $1000 flat fee. I haven't personally had the experience of buying a car like OP but that's why this thread is so cool and informational. It sounds like BC has had a lot of experience with this and he thinks all of the auction cars are garbage. I don't know but like OP, I'm willing to gamble $5,000 on it once to test the waters and then in a few years when other cars like the Toyota Crown Majesta turn 25, I'll grab one of those too.

As for the FD's, they are all just beat to hell and overpriced in the US. They're beat to hell and cheap in Japan so there you have it
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 VW Golf TDI DSG, '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '96 Honda Civic CX (stock)
      05-31-2016 12:37 PM #80
      This is debatable but, the JDM cars are cheaper and in better condition than used cars in the US. For some stuff, that's not true, like how someone just sold a Phaeton W12 for $20,000 on this forum. For other stuff, like the Lexus GS300/Toyota Aristo, they're definitely cheaper to buy from Japan even after paying the broker/shipping etc. OP on this thread did some of that himself to save costs but even if you just pay the broker, Derek Weldon (Pacific Coast JDM) charges a $1000 flat fee. I haven't personally had the experience of buying a car like OP but that's why this thread is so cool and informational. It sounds like BC has had a lot of experience with this and he thinks all of the auction cars are garbage. I don't know but like OP, I'm willing to gamble $5,000 on it once to test the waters and then in a few years when other cars like the Toyota Crown Majesta turn 25, I'll grab one of those too.

As for the FD's, they are all just beat to hell and overpriced in the US. They're beat to hell and cheap in Japan so there you have it
      Yeah I know the Supraforums is full of angry LHD Canadian Mk4 owners talking crap about the RHD owners and how they have ruined the prestige of the Supra to everyone else lol

I definitely agree about the Japanese vehicles being better maintained than the cars here in the states, even factoring in BC's experience.

If I get a JDM rotary, it's going to be a Mazda Cosmo first and foremost haha

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2016 12:39 PM #81
      To add, it also seems like we are getting sloppy seconds compared to everyone else that had a huge jumpstart (i.e. all the other RHD markets like UK, Malaysia, Cyprus, South Africa, Indonesia, Australia, NZ, etc.)

Vehicles
      2015 BMW 228i
      05-31-2016 12:50 PM #82

That is why I am interested into some of these 25 year old JDM imports because they seem like they are usually in better shape than the equivalent USDM car here. When I get extra garage space I might need to get Lancer Evolution I once they are legal in 2 years.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 12:51 PM #83
      To add, it also seems like we are getting sloppy seconds compared to everyone else that had a huge jumpstart (i.e. all the other RHD markets like UK, Malaysia, Cyprus, South Africa, Indonesia, Australia, NZ, etc.)
      Some dealer in Florida was selling a 96 GS300 with 400k miles for $7k. It probably had like 12 previous owners. I'd much rather take sloppy seconds from a Japanese business man than 12 stinky Floridans.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 12:55 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by 50fridge View Post
      That is why I am interested into some of these 25 year old JDM imports because they seem like they are usually in better shape than the equivalent USDM car here. When I get extra garage space I might need to get Lancer Evolution I once they are legal in 2 years.
      There have been zero sold in the last 3 months. That looks like a difficult car to find.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      05-31-2016 01:15 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Frameless, but pillared.

Oh man, I love these for some reason that I do not myself understand. It is 100% a hoodrich car around me but I love them nonetheless.

I am watching this. Interesting choice and I 100% get it. Sometimes you want a combination that is not available here. My BJ60 was a Canadian truck. Granted, it was not RHD or imported from a far away place, it was still imported. I wanted a factory diesel and importing was the only way to do it. I would love a pre- '84 Range Rover or an early Hilux dual cab.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2016 01:33 PM #86
      Some dealer in Florida was selling a 96 GS300 with 400k miles for $7k. It probably had like 12 previous owners. I'd much rather take sloppy seconds from a Japanese business man than 12 stinky Floridans.
      lol it gets just as humid in Japan as it does in Florida. Plus Japanese are hardcore smokers.

But yeah, I'm with you lol

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 01:46 PM #87
      lol it gets just as humid in Japan as it does in Florida. Plus Japanese are hardcore smokers.

But yeah, I'm with you lol
      Nasty. Every used car I've ever owned, I use a rug doctor on it and I usually get 6 buckets of brown water out of the seats. You people are gross! Stop sweating!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2016 02:01 PM #88
      Nasty. Every used car I've ever owned, I use a rug doctor on it and I usually get 6 buckets of brown water out of the seats. You people are gross! Stop sweating!
      That's why I always steam clean the interior in my cars once a year, especially my '96 Civic hatch. I should post up photos of the gunk that came out of the car, absolutely disgusting. Hell, I use the Civic for delivering pizzas on the weekends and it doesn't emit that much gunk as it did the first time I did it

I won't be steam-cleaning the interior in my TDI since it'll go back to VW anyways

Vehicles
      05-31-2016 02:05 PM #89
      Yeah, when my heater core blew up in my Rabbit, I Little Green Machined the carpet to try and get some of the coolant out...And I ANGERED something. Some deep, dark smell, that I had not experienced in the five years I owned the car, had awakened. It still lingers to this day.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 02:07 PM #90
      That's why I always steam clean the interior in my cars once a year, especially my '96 Civic hatch. I should post up photos of the gunk that came out of the car, absolutely disgusting. Hell, I use the Civic for delivering pizzas on the weekends and it doesn't emit that much gunk as it did the first time I did it

I won't be steam-cleaning the interior in my TDI since it'll go back to VW anyways
      It's like an archaeological dig. The first layer is just dirt. Then you start to see a pattern in the seat. Then you discover a coffee stain layer. After removing that, you discover the cigarette burns. Finally after all that, you realize the seat is all crusty because of a layer of sugary soda that slowly comes out. Even after all that, I still have brown ziggy zaggy stripes in the seat. It almost looks like it has bolsters because the brown looks like a crease.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 02:09 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Yeah, when my heater core blew up in my Rabbit, I Little Green Machined the carpet to try and get some of the coolant out...And I ANGERED something. Some deep, dark smell, that I had not experienced in the five years I owned the car, had awakened. It still lingers to this day.
      Get the new boxes of arm and hammer baking soda from the dollar store. They just switched to a cross flow mesh design so air can pass right through the box without spilling any baking soda. I put one under each seat right by a floor vent.

Vehicles
      05-31-2016 02:22 PM #92
      It's like an archaeological dig. The first layer is just dirt. Then you start to see a pattern in the seat. Then you discover a coffee stain layer. After removing that, you discover the cigarette burns. Finally after all that, you realize the seat is all crusty because of a layer of sugary soda that slowly comes out. Even after all that, I still have brown ziggy zaggy stripes in the seat. It almost looks like it has bolsters because the brown looks like a crease.
      This made my day, and is accurate. I'll have to grab a couple of boxes.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      05-31-2016 02:45 PM #93
      This is why I have Wet Okole's in the truck- they protect the seats and are a hell of a lot easier to clean if I spill something on them. Then again, I've never actually removed them to clean them for fear that the dirt is what is keeping the fabric together...
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Vehicles
      05-31-2016 02:54 PM #94
      I always thought a boggo standard 4 door hardtop R31 with a 4 cylinder and auto would be an interesting cruiser. Big, heavy, and slow.

DCIVW
      CE.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2016 03:45 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      This is why I have Wet Okole's in the truck- they protect the seats and are a hell of a lot easier to clean if I spill something on them. Then again, I've never actually removed them to clean them for fear that the dirt is what is keeping the fabric together...
      Damn, no different from the dirty transmission fluid keeping an old transmission together and in place.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota iQ GRMN, something else
      05-31-2016 06:13 PM #96
      Not all auction cars are garbage. Just the majority of ones you think you are getting a "deal" on. If you are prepared to make repairs when it arrives stateside no big deal. Otherwise just make sure to perform due diligence prior to purchase.

If you want a clean, honest vehicle with minimal fart dust and/or pathogens you are going to pay for it.

Minty fresh NSX sold for 73k

Clean Cosmo with records sold for 10k

Alpina B6 in somewhat OK shape sold for 25k

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      05-31-2016 07:05 PM #97
      That Cosmo Yes please!

23. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2016 07:06 PM #98
      That Cosmo Yes please!
      How are the reliability stats on those???

Vehicles
      06-01-2016 09:12 AM #99
      3 rotors full of Apex seals. Picture an FD engine with an extra rotor housing.
      DCIVW
      CE.

06-01-2016 09:41 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      In because the OP went after a car that not a lot of people would go for. Cool car and can't wait to see what you do with it.

What is involved in doing a "Gloria conversion" and why?

I approve!

Chris
      | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast