VWVortex.com - I'm importing a 1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo. (whew!) Let's see how this goes.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm importing a 1989 Y31 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV Turbo. (whew!) Let's see how this goes.

1. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      06-01-2016 11:58 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      3 rotors full of Apex seals. Picture an FD engine with an extra rotor housing.
      and the equivalent vacuum system to run it and the twin turbos.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      06-01-2016 12:29 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      How are the reliability stats on those???
      That's a rare care so I honestly have no idea but I'd be willing to put up with it no matter how bad it is. You don't buy a rotary to drive it, you buy it to work on it anyway

http://www.eunoscosmoclub.nl/sx.html
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      2006 Infiniti M35X, 1989 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV (VG20DET), 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0 (SR20DE)
      06-01-2016 12:41 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      In because the OP went after a car that not a lot of people would go for. Cool car and can't wait to see what you do with it.

What is involved in doing a "Gloria conversion" and why?

I approve!

Chris
      The Gloria is the same exact car with a angled grille, (the Cedric grille is straight up and down on the edges) headlights, tail lights, front and rear emblems (the cedric emblem is a slightly askew Lincoln badge, no joke), and floor mats.

So far, I have the rear emblem, headlights and grille. I only need the tail lights and floor mats.

Gloria front end:

Cedric front end:

To start off with the mods, I sold my Eurolines that I had sitting around and picked up a set of 17" Veilside Andrew racing V's - 17x8 F 17x9 R

Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      Nice car! I can't believe I didn't find your thread until now. About the whole JDM attention thing, I specifically want a daily-driver-sleeper and don't want it to be noticed. If I get a RHD car imported, I plan to tint the glass so that it doesn't draw attention. There would be a line of car thieves around the block if they knew. The reason I want to get the Aristo is because you can get parts for it here. If I bought a Skyline, what would I do when it breaks? The Yahoo auction site you linked to looks cool but I can't imagine it's quick or cheap like RockAuto.com.

The biggest problem right now is that I can't even find any 1991 Aristo's. Every day that passes brings us closer to the 1992 RX7 too. That's just financial suicide of course but it is tempting.
      I feel the same way, which is why I went with a low key car myself. Parts are not impossible to find and not all that expensive if you know how to look for them on yahoo Japan. Next time I might do the same and get something RHD that we have here.

I use Jauce.com and shipping is only 6-12 days (if you include shipping inside Japan to the auction center)

Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Really looking forward to seeing updates on this car in the states. I want a full review, stat!
      10-4! I plan to do a full review.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      huh... that's an odd duck to pick.

at least they're plentiful, having been made until 2015 (as taxis)
      I wonder how much different that sedan is from the hard top.

I preferred the A31 Cefiro myself
      I wanted a Cefiro too but they are big money compared to the Y31's of the same era. Someday I could work up to one maybe.

Some dealer in Florida was selling a 96 GS300 with 400k miles for $7k. It probably had like 12 previous owners. I'd much rather take sloppy seconds from a Japanese business man than 12 stinky Floridans.
      LOL So true. As I said before, I could end up with a turd here in the states or end up with a RHD turd, it's really no difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bc View Post
      Not all auction cars are garbage. Just the majority of ones you think you are getting a "deal" on. If you are prepared to make repairs when it arrives stateside no big deal. Otherwise just make sure to perform due diligence prior to purchase.

If you want a clean, honest vehicle with minimal fart dust and/or pathogens you are going to pay for it.

Minty fresh NSX sold for 73k

Clean Cosmo with records sold for 10k

Alpina B6 in somewhat OK shape sold for 25k
      True.

I plan on changing all the fluids and timing belt/water pump/tensioners. It has a Z32 timing belt setup, BTW. It doesn't appear to need much other than a good check over on the lift and a detail.
      Last edited by Fahrzeug; 06-01-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      06-01-2016 12:44 PM #104
      That Cosmo Yes please!
      I whole-heartily agree. Of the imports mentioned in here, this is the winner.

06-01-2016 01:49 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrzeug View Post
      The Gloria is the same exact car with a angled grille, (the Cedric grille is straight up and down on the edges) headlights, tail lights, front and rear emblems (the cedric emblem is a slightly askew Lincoln badge, no joke), and floor mats.

So far, I have the rear emblem, headlights and grille. I only need the tail lights and floor mats.

Gloria front end:

Cedric front end:

So, Nissan made both the Gloria and the Cedric at the same time? Or was the Gloria an updated version of the Cedric? I mean, it seems silly to offer two identical cars with such minuscule differences as to necessitate the overhead of another badge, grile, lights, etc.

Also, your car will look amazing on those wheels. Plans to drop it too? Where would you get springs for that?

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)/Saab 9-5 Aero (imported from Washington)
      06-01-2016 02:08 PM #106
      Veilside Andrew racing V's?!?!?! Those were my favorite wheels back in the mid-late 90s!

Axis even made a replica wheel in the late 90s.

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      06-01-2016 02:28 PM #107
      That Cosmo Yes please!

Can be yours for ~$15k. And this one is already stateside

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      06-01-2016 03:28 PM #108
      Is that Smoker's Yellow on the interior?

9. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2016 03:31 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrzeug View Post
      I wanted a Cefiro too but they are big money compared to the Y31's of the same era. Someday I could work up to one maybe.
      oh really? Drift tax I assume?
      At least the Y31s share a lot with the Z31s for running bits.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      06-01-2016 03:42 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Can be yours for ~$15k. And this one is already stateside
      Must... control.... self...
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-01-2016 04:18 PM #111
      Must... control.... self...
      Depends on what trim some would want. Would love to get one but I don't want to deal with the questionable reliability of the 20B if the 13B is of any indicator.

12. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2016 04:18 PM #112
      So, Nissan made both the Gloria and the Cedric at the same time? Or was the Gloria an updated version of the Cedric? I mean, it seems silly to offer two identical cars with such minuscule differences as to necessitate the overhead of another badge, grile, lights, etc.

Also, your car will look amazing on those wheels. Plans to drop it too? Where would you get springs for that?

Chris
      That's exactly what they did... for like 30 years. The 'CedGlo' twins

The Cedric was the 'tourer' and the Gloria was the 'sporty' one

06-01-2016 04:21 PM #113

I guess it just doesn't make sense through the lens of what I know now. But I guess its kind of like Chevy's Chevelle/Malibu or Bel-Aire/150/210 models.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      06-01-2016 04:25 PM #114
      I guess it just doesn't make sense through the lens of what I know now. But I guess its kind of like Chevy's Chevelle/Malibu or Bel-Aire/150/210 models.

Chris
      It was also during Japan's bubble economy too, if that helps explain things.

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      06-01-2016 04:55 PM #115
      Depends on what trim some would want. Would love to get one but I don't want to deal with the questionable reliability of the 20B if the 13B is of any indicator.
      No rotary ever built will meet the standard of a sentence that starts with "I don't want to deal with..." You'll be dealing with everything on these cars and it's not just the engine. Cold soldered switches? Check. Funky dynamic self steering suspension bushings? Check. Electronically adjustable suspension valves that break? check. The list goes on. Like I said, you don't buy a rotary to drive it.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2016 05:00 PM #116
      No rotary ever built will meet the standard of a sentence that starts with "I don't want to deal with..." You'll be dealing with everything on these cars and it's not just the engine. Cold soldered switches? Check. Funky dynamic self steering suspension bushings? Check. Electronically adjustable suspension valves that break? check. The list goes on. Like I said, you don't buy a rotary to drive it.
      Damn, guess the Cosmo is ruled out then

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      06-01-2016 06:25 PM #117
      Damn, guess the Cosmo is ruled out then
      Go check out the price of a 20B engine on ebay. It'll make the $15k for the whole car look like a steal.

06-01-2016 06:48 PM #118

Chris
      Gloria and Cedric were sold in different dealership. They were twins but also competitors in JDM.

Gloria was originally the flagship model of the Prince Auto Company. After Nissan bought Prince, it inherited two models: Skyline and Gloria and continued selling them in a separate dealership. It's a quirk of JDM... "Nissan" is actually three different full line competing "brands" in Japan - Cedric was a "Nissan Bluebird" model while Gloria was a "Nissan Prince" model. You cannot buy a Gloria from a Nissan Bluebird dealer. The same goes with Skyline (Nissan Prince) vs. Laurel (Nissan Bluebird).

They were both available in sporty and non-sporty versions. The only difference was the dealership they were sold.

Chris
      Not really because there was only one Chevy dealer network where you can buy a Chevelle, Malibu, or Bel-Aire. The difference between Cedric and Gloria is more like Oldsmobile Cutlass vs. Buick Regal, except imagine they were both sold as the same brand - e.g. GM Cutlass (in the Oldsmobile dealership) vs. GM Regal (in the Buick dealership).
      Last edited by bzcat; 06-01-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      06-01-2016 06:55 PM #119
      Like the Plymouth Neon?
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Vehicles
      2006 Infiniti M35X, 1989 Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo SV (VG20DET), 1990 Nissan Primera 2.0 (SR20DE)
      06-01-2016 07:57 PM #120
      LOL when did this become a Cosmo thread?

oh really? Drift tax I assume?
      At least the Y31s share a lot with the Z31s for running bits.
      I just like the styling a lot. I see the first generation Altima in the side profile of the A31 Cefiro.

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Veilside Andrew racing V's?!?!?! Those were my favorite wheels back in the mid-late 90s!

Axis even made a replica wheel in the late 90s.

WOW! Thank you for this awesome info.

Chris
      Thank you!

They did make them at the same time for many many years. It's the same as the American car logic with the same car sold under different names, as was answered previously.

As far as lowering it, I'm not sure at this point yet. I would like to just mount the wheels and see how it looks first before deciding.

I do have a few options that I found for lowering:

JIC Magic Coilovers - BIG money:

Espelir DownSus Springs Around $200:

RS-R Super Down Springs Around $150-175:

To go with the springs there seems to be only one option, the KYB SR Special $250 for the set (not my exact front strut):

Vehicles
      04 CTS 91 Aristo
      06-01-2016 11:03 PM #121
      I've never seen a coilover with a stub axle attached

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)/Saab 9-5 Aero (imported from Washington)
      06-02-2016 01:09 AM #122
      That's how my DR30 was set up as well, as well as most 70s/80s Nissans/Datsuns.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

23. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      06-02-2016 08:07 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      They were both available in sporty and non-sporty versions. The only difference was the dealership they were sold.
      well, more in the style.
      The Cedric grilles and lights were always more staid and the Gloria was more sporting.

230 Gloria

230 Cedric

330 Cedric

330 Gloria

430 Gloria

430 Cedric

Y30 Gloria

Y30 Cedric

Y31 Cedric

Y31 Gloria

Y32 Cedric

Y32 Gloria

Y33 Gloria

Y33 Cedric

Y34 Cedric

Y34 Gloria

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      06-02-2016 08:20 AM #124
      IN to follow along with this! I browse JapaneseClassics from time to time looking at the Skyline, Silvias, and the other unique cars.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      06-02-2016 09:36 AM #125
      European Fords were like that too.

Mk1/2 Escort.

DCIVW
      CE.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast