VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Can you drive stick, and what is your age?

24K views 432 replies 276 participants last post by  Cousin Eddie 
#1 ·
I am sitting in the lobby of a tire and auto repair shop. Just had a flat on the work car, so they are fixing it.

I left the car in the lot with the key in it. The guy walks out...then comes back in and says to the other guy- Can you drive stick? Guy #2 says no. They yell to guy #3 in the bay- he says no.

Finally the manager comes out and moves it.

I understand there are less and less stick cars- but these guys work at a car shop moving cars in and out all day. And they don't appear that young. 30+ I'd say.

Is anyone surprised by this other than me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#242 ·
I'm turning 30, started driving standard at 19. :thumbup:

A lot of people are shocked, impressed or bewildered as to how and why I drive with a manual. I can only have one car so it is a stickshift. Once I can store more than two cars I will probably get an automatic pickup for a daily type vehicle. I understand why people go to slushboxes and DSG but I'm not a fan of an auto as an only car.

I'm also an M/T fanboy. I won't justify it.

#244 ·
27, I have had 10 cars and not one automatic.

Shifting has never been a problem, and I have to deal with bay-area traffic, ****ty roads, whatever. It's a non-issue. :thumbup:

#245 ·
42 years old and every car I ever owned was manual except my 2000 4x4 Ranger Supercab. I learned to drive manual very young but learned to NOT ride the clutch and always baby the transmission. But now I am pretty sure that my next new cars will all be automatics.

84 Sentra
87 Sentra
87 Scirocco
85 S-10 Blazer (POS 5 speed with the 2.5 Iron Duke)
93 Probe GT

Automatic 2000 Ranger Supercab 4x4 Lease. The auto trans was almost $20 cheaper per month due to residual.

2003 VW Jetta 1.8T which is avail for sale... :laugh:
78 Trans Am
2003 Boxster
C5 Corvette
08 Honda S2000

#252 ·
19 and yes. I learned when I was 15 by buying a 350whp wrx that was stick and had a tough clutch.

Taught my little sister(she's 13) and she even shifts for me on the way to school when I want to drink my coffee.

The car scene here in WA is pretty active though. You will be shunned if your a male and cannot drive stick.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#257 ·
24, yes. My Rabbit is manual. First manual I drove I was 14 in the parking lot of a local grocer, cousins 1997 Sunfire. I really learned on my current car though, stalled about a dozen times on the way home from the dealer. 8 years and 200k kms later I'd say I'm pretty good, just spent 12 hours at a funeral standing in heels and drove home without issue.
Wish I had a car enthusiast in my family though so I could really perfect heel-toe, double declutch, etc. Meh.

#266 ·
33 and learned to drive on a stick shift Honda Accord. Had only owned manual transmission vehicles until we bought my wife a car when she was pregnant.

The amusing thing is not so much that people in car shops can not drive a manual, it's that car shops haven't gotten smart enough to ask before they hire someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.