VWVortex.com - Moving to Seattle. Hi PNW.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Moving to Seattle. Hi PNW.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 1990 Corrado G60, 1988 Jetta Coupé (Gone but not forgotten)
      05-27-2016 03:24 AM #1
      Hi everyone.

Add another dubber to the PNW. My fiance and I are moving to Seattle at the end of June. She really loves Grey's Anatomy so we thought we'd... just kidding. We're actually moving because I'm starting grad school this fall at UW. Our lease is up soon, so instead of spending another summer in Denver we thought we'd try and get out earlier and enjoy the summer there. I've only been to Seattle once before. Took a trip out there this last November to check out the program and UW campus and to just get a feel for the area. Loved every minute of it. While Washington was new to me, I did spend a lot of time as a kid at my grandpa's cabin in Oregon, so I'm not complete PNW virgin. Oh, and I love the Goonies and Free Willy (the movie. pervs.), so there's that.

I'm actually really excited to get back into the VW scene. I tried to be pretty active back when I lived in CA, but got burned out by all the d-bags and bull$hit. Colorado was a nice break. Had a pretty steady group of mellow down to earth dubbers I hung out with while I was doing my undergrad at CSU, but once I moved to Denver the Corrado decided to give me some lip. So I locked her in the garage for three years and waited for her to apologize. In the mean time got into other hobbies like aquariums and video games. Only since the new year have I been willing to forgive and forget. Like I said, I'm really happy to try and get back in the scene. I always envied you PNW folks with your pretty mountain roads and seemingly endless supply of gorgeous dubs. I'm bummed that I'm going to miss this year's Leavenworth Drive though. BTW, what's the corrosion situation out there? Is it a big deal, or does it play nice with old dubs?

I'm actually coming out to Seattle this Sunday (5/29) through Thursday to try and find a place for us live. If you see someone wandering around Capitol Hill or the University District hopelessly trying to understand mass transit it's probably me. Just point and laugh and continue on your way. I would.

We'll be driving out in my 1990 G60 (blue pearl metallic, or LC5Z to you other Corrado owners out there), and my fiance's mkVI Golf TDI. Thanks if you actually read any of this. Now on to the pictures.

This WAS my Corrado before 3+ years of harsh CO weather took it's toll on the paint.

^See what I mean?!^ The summer sun is equally brutal out here.

As she looks now in all her weather-beaten glory. I'd like to call it dignified, but really it's just sorry.

Oh, and the Golf. It's stock.

On Pike's Peak at 14,000 ft.

aaaand just for kicks the car that started it all...many years ago.

TL;DR // Moving to Seattle. Looking for dubbers. Please like me.

Thanks for looking. Hope to meet a lot of you this summer.

josh
      Last edited by nomad1721; 05-27-2016 at 03:28 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      They ended up buying my Corrado, I offered to sell them my Bentley. But they didn't want to spend the $40 I was selling it for. Poor bastards.
      SpoonfedTuningdubNationColorado Junk Yards

Vehicles
      2015 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 6-Speed Manual Carbon Steel Grey
      05-27-2016 11:50 AM #2
      Welcome to the Northwest! Can't wait to see that G60 on the road, still one of my favorite VW's of all time.
      2015 GTI // Autobahn // Carbon Steel Grey // 6-Speed MT // LP // Vogtland Coilovers // Rotiform BLQ 18x8.5 // 35% Tint // OBDEleven Available (WA)

Vehicles
      6 VW's, 1 Saab, 1 BMW
      05-27-2016 08:07 PM #3
      Greetings! Fellow corrado owner here as well. Rust and corrosion aren't an issue to be worried about here in the slightest, unless you live ON the coast or go over Stevens pass they use sodium chloride (salt) type of de-icer but the thin lines we put down everywhere else are glycol based.
      DIRTBAG.

4. 05-28-2016 01:56 AM #4
      Welcome to the wet side. What will you be studying?

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Tiguan 6MT, 2013 RB R
      05-29-2016 12:35 PM #5
      The areas that you are looking in tend to be pretty expensive for rent, I would look in one of the neighboring cities and just take the bus to UW.

If you could find a place that is either near the link light (like the MAX in Oregon) rail or on one of the rapid ride routes it wouldn't take very long to get to the campus.

Download the trip planner APP for transit, it is pretty good.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      1980 VW Rabbit 1.6 Gasser
      05-29-2016 07:42 PM #6
      Hi, best of luck finding a place. After living in the Mountains, and coming back to the area, my Rabbit has definitely seen the rust. Wish I always had the timing to find a place with a garage, so I am not always stuck working on the car in the snow and rain. If you need a hand, or dub caravan...nice rides btw

7. Member
      05-31-2016 10:03 AM #7
      Awesome man. Welcome to the PNW, fellow Denver native and CSU undergrad here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      06-08-2016 07:20 PM #8
      Oops. Sorry the delay folks, moving plans have hit critical mass in the last week or so. Enjoyed my trip out to Seattle immensely, but didn't come across a place for my fiance and I. I guess we'll just be picking something out over the internet. On a positive note, I honestly could not believe how gorgeous it was last week. Really excited to get to spend most of the summer out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSideGTI View Post
      Welcome to the Northwest! Can't wait to see that G60 on the road, still one of my favorite VW's of all time.
      Thanks! It's not much of a looker, but it's coming together bit by bit. Just ordered a bunch of parts to get it ready for the trip in a few weeks, hopefully it's uneventful.

Quote Originally Posted by karlorado View Post
      Greetings! Fellow corrado owner here as well. Rust and corrosion aren't an issue to be worried about here in the slightest, unless you live ON the coast or go over Stevens pass they use sodium chloride (salt) type of de-icer but the thin lines we put down everywhere else are glycol based.
      Hey karlorado, glad to meet another C owner! Are there many others out there? I've seen maybe six or seven on the road since I've been in CO. It would be great if there were more, misery loves company! Good to hear about the (lack of) rust, especially since I plan to daily the g60 for a while. Hope we can meet up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by platoonchief View Post
      Welcome to the wet side. What will you be studying?
      Thanks platoonchief! Going for my MS in Human Centered Design and Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by tyintegra View Post
      The areas that you are looking in tend to be pretty expensive for rent, I would look in one of the neighboring cities and just take the bus to UW.

If you could find a place that is either near the link light (like the MAX in Oregon) rail or on one of the rapid ride routes it wouldn't take very long to get to the campus.

Download the trip planner APP for transit, it is pretty good.
      Thanks for the tip about the Trip Planner App tyintegra. THAT WAS A GREAT FIND. Between that and GMaps, I didn't have any trouble navigating the bus/link/streetcars. Unfortunately, you were SO right about the areas I was looking in last week. HOLY sh*t it can get expensive out there! Talk about sticker shock. Looks like we're going to end up north of campus, either Green Lake area or towards Lake Forest Park. The second one doesn't seem bad, since I can just ride the bike trail all the way to campus.

Quote Originally Posted by chr2dae View Post
      Hi, best of luck finding a place. After living in the Mountains, and coming back to the area, my Rabbit has definitely seen the rust. Wish I always had the timing to find a place with a garage, so I am not always stuck working on the car in the snow and rain. If you need a hand, or dub caravan...nice rides btw
      Thanks man. We're still looking. I've pretty much given up hope of finding a place with a garage that's within our budget. Looks like I'll be wrenching along side you in the rain. Thanks for the heads up on the rust. Just saw a little bubble on the hatch starting to form the other day. I'll have to remedy that before I get out there. Oh, and another thanks for the offer, I might just hit you up one day

Quote Originally Posted by ArclitGold View Post
      Awesome man. Welcome to the PNW, fellow Denver native and CSU undergrad here.
      Thank you for the welcome. How long have you been out in the PNW? Ever miss CO? We should grab a few beers and talk sh*t about the Buffs sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by FTMFW View Post
      Well you've just hit the mother lode...
      Lol, I guess there's a few everywhere, they just do their best to make a scene and get noticed *shrug*. Folks seem nice enough so far
      Last edited by nomad1721; 06-08-2016 at 07:23 PM.
      They ended up buying my Corrado, I offered to sell them my Bentley. But they didn't want to spend the $40 I was selling it for. Poor bastards.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Tiguan 6MT, 2013 RB R
      06-09-2016 03:25 PM #9
      Thanks for the tip about the Trip Planner App tyintegra. THAT WAS A GREAT FIND. Between that and GMaps, I didn't have any trouble navigating the bus/link/streetcars. Unfortunately, you were SO right about the areas I was looking in last week. HOLY sh*t it can get expensive out there! Talk about sticker shock. Looks like we're going to end up north of campus, either Green Lake area or towards Lake Forest Park. The second one doesn't seem bad, since I can just ride the bike trail all the way to campus.

My wife and I live in Bothell/Lynnwood area and we like it a lot. The commute into the city is actually pretty good from there even though it is a decent distance out and housing prices aren't too bad.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLi VR6 24v
      06-09-2016 07:39 PM #10
      Go home, we're full

Only kidding, welcome to Rain City

Nice Corrado
      | VRalliance #320 | VRSociety Member #115

Vehicles
      06-10-2016 03:21 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by tyintegra View Post
      My wife and I live in Bothell/Lynnwood area and we like it a lot. The commute into the city is actually pretty good from there even though it is a decent distance out and housing prices aren't too bad.
      That's good to know. We had looked more towards Bothell in the past, but dismissed it as too far out. Might take another look. Thanks!

Vehicles
      06-10-2016 03:27 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Euphoria View Post
      Go home, we're full

Only kidding, welcome to Rain City

Nice Corrado
      Haha, thanks. Looking forward to trying someplace new. You say "go home, we're full" and I hear "this place rocks, but I'm tired of sharing and everything becoming more expensive, so stay away." I've been saying the same thing to people moving to CO for years.

07-25-2016 07:05 PM #13
      Hello and welcome to the Seattle area
      BBM -Bahn Brenner Motorsport
      Like us on FB
      Google+
      we share the passion!

Vehicles
      93 Corrado slc / 73 Bus / 08 gti
      Yesterday 03:39 AM #14
      i said this in another thread here but we need to have a seattle corrado drive. i just moved back here as well

15. Yesterday 08:51 AM #15
      Another C owner here! I live about 30 min south of Seattle and have a g60 as well. I also have my entire attic full of just about every g60 part available haha, so if you're wanting to meet up and need someone who has parts I'm available!
      Stage 5 g60ish

For advertising information click HERE