Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32K mile update - 2012 Honda Pilot

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      06-06-2016 11:58 AM #1
      It's been one year, eight months with my CPO 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navi. In that time I've racked up 32K miles (now with 72K or so). Mechanically it's been stellar. However, there were some other non-routine maintenance items which have needed addressing.

When I originally purchased it, they showed me the history of services performed. Outside of normal maintenance, only one item popped up. Replacement of the rear view camera. When I was handed the keys the CPO certification addressed all the fluids, brakes and tires.

Since then the following items have been addressed outside of normal maintenance:

40,341 - Replacement of the XM module, TSB to address Power Steering / AC Compressor noise which requires a new PS pump and bracket
      54,112 - Battery Replaced
      61,415 - Driver side front hub/bearing replaced
      62,300 - TSB to address drivetrain vibration with VCM. Included replacing propeller shaft and transmission reprogramming. (I had no issues or complaints with drivetrain vibration, just done by dealer because they felt a "vibration" when test driving it)
      63.836 - Replaced both compliance bushings due to leak. Replaced both rear shocks due to one leaking
      72,500 - Pass side front hub/bearing replaced

Out of pocket was the battery and rear shocks, everything covered under CPO warranty. Regarding the rear shocks, the dealer said "let's treat this as it was under Honda Care" and only charged me $100...without me even asking. Additionally he replaced both because "why replace only one?"

And that's really the shining star of Honda ownership, the dealer. They go above and beyond to make sure everything is addressed and treat me very well. My service adviser knows that I can wrench on my own and always discusses tips and recommendations on parts. So they never talk me into costly air/cabin filters, etc. My 0W20 synthetic oil changes never cost more than $40. Here's a rundown of regular maintenance I've done:

7 O& F changes @ $39
      4 Tire Rotations & Balancing @ $40
      Brake Fluid Change $100
      2 AT fluid changes @ 80 (self)
      1 Rear Diff Fluid Change $32 (self)
      1 air filer & cabin air filter $35 (self)
      1 set of rotors @ $75 (self)
      Philips H11 X-tremeVision healdlight upgrade $37 (self)

So $872 in routine maintenance costs, plus another $220 for rear shocks and a OE battery. Not too shabby. We're still riding on the OE Michelins that were installed 32K miles ago with plenty of tread left. They just checked the alignment specs, still in the green (never had an alignment done.) OE brake pads still have lots of meat.

I just got back from a 2700 mile r/t to FL with four in tow plus some cargo. I averaged 22 mpg @ 80MPH. The space and third row are a god send. Plus the 4WD is amazing in the winter months. All in all, the Pilot is one of the best vehicles my family has had the pleasure of owing.

Last edited by GolfTango; 06-06-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R 6spd, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
      06-06-2016 12:20 PM #2
      I'll echo that Honda service has been top notch in my experience. They warrantied a set of DVD headphones that clearly looked damage by my kids without any fuss. Oil changes are cheaper at the dealer than they are to buy the oil and filter myself. Couldn't be happier with the product and the dealer.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Audis, 2 Hondas, 1 BMW
      06-06-2016 01:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      And that's really the shining star of Honda ownership, the dealer.
      I bought my 2012 EX-L RES new in Sept 2011, it's at 59,xxx miles and agree 100%. This is my 4th Honda purchased at that dealer (3 new/1 used) and I'd buy another family hauler from them just because of the treatment. And in 59K miles, it's only been reg oil change maint, tires, brake pads and one bushing (covered under warranty). Nothing else, not one single unscheduled service visit.

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      06-06-2016 01:20 PM #4
      I'm going to echo the positive comments about the Honda dealership. Thus far, my car has been a pleasure to own.

Also, for anyone in SoCal, the Helpful Honda guys are running a special where they will fill your tank for free (find their twitter for locations). I got it done once and that was a nice way to save $25!

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      06-06-2016 01:22 PM #5
      X4 on the Honda service. I was taking mine to an independent mechanic just out of principle for a while, because "stealership". Boy was I wrong.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      06-06-2016 02:17 PM #6
      You failed to answer the most important question - how many brake checks have you performed?
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Vehicles
      2015 GLI SE, 2015 GLI SEL, 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      06-06-2016 03:46 PM #7
      It's been one year, eight months with my CPO 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navi. In that time I've racked up 32K miles (now with 72K or so). Mechanically it's been stellar. However, there were some other non-routine maintenance items which have needed addressing.

When I originally purchased it, they showed me the history of services performed. Outside of normal maintenance, only one item popped up. Replacement of the rear view camera. When I was handed the keys the CPO certification addressed all the fluids, brakes and tires.

Since then the following items have been addressed outside of normal maintenance:

40,341 - Replacement of the XM module, TSB to address Power Steering / AC Compressor noise which requires a new PS pump and bracket
      54,112 - Battery Replaced
      61,415 - Driver side front hub/bearing replaced
      62,300 - TSB to address drivetrain vibration with VCM. Included replacing propeller shaft and transmission reprogramming. (I had no issues or complaints with drivetrain vibration, just done by dealer because they felt a "vibration" when test driving it)
      63.836 - Replaced both compliance bushings due to leak. Replaced both rear shocks due to one leaking
      72,500 - Pass side front hub/bearing replaced

Out of pocket was the battery and rear shocks, everything covered under CPO warranty. Regarding the rear shocks, the dealer said "let's treat this as it was under Honda Care" and only charged me $100...without me even asking. Additionally he replaced both because "why replace only one?"

And that's really the shining star of Honda ownership, the dealer. They go above and beyond to make sure everything is addressed and treat me very well. My service adviser knows that I can wrench on my own and always discusses tips and recommendations on parts. So they never talk me into costly air/cabin filters, etc. My 0W20 synthetic oil changes never cost more than $40. Here's a rundown of regular maintenance I've done:

7 O& F changes @ $39
      4 Tire Rotations & Balancing @ $40
      Brake Fluid Change $100
      2 AT fluid changes @ 80 (self)
      1 Rear Diff Fluid Change $32 (self)
      1 air filer & cabin air filter $35 (self)
      1 set of rotors @ $75 (self)
      Philips H11 X-tremeVision healdlight upgrade $37 (self)

So $872 in routine maintenance costs, plus another $220 for rear shocks and a OE battery. Not too shabby. We're still riding on the OE Michelins that were installed 32K miles ago with plenty of tread left. They just checked the alignment specs, still in the green (never had an alignment done.) OE brake pads still have lots of meat.

I just got back from a 2700 mile r/t to FL with four in tow plus some cargo. I averaged 22 mpg @ 80MPH. The space and third row are a god send. Plus the 4WD is amazing in the winter months. All in all, the Pilot is one of the best vehicles my family has had the pleasure of owing.

How's those brakes holding up from all those mean brake checks?

Vehicles
      2003 Wolfsburg, 2008 Fit Sport, 2010 Kizashi S, 2012 500 Sport, 2000 4Runner, 2015 CX5, 1975 MGB
      06-06-2016 05:59 PM #8
      Glad to hear it's been a good vehicle, it's on my short list. How often do you tow and how heavy?
      Power is knowledge

Vehicles
      06-06-2016 06:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
      Glad to hear it's been a good vehicle, it's on my short list. How often do you tow and how heavy?
      Actually I don't tow. Maybe someday when I score some jet skis.

Vehicles
      08-04-2016 07:14 PM #10
      I'm sitting here at my local Moe's downing a burrito when I peer out at the sea of Pilots in the lot (mine is at home.)

I have this aching suspicion that the 2nd gen Pilot will be the Grand Wagoneer of our generation. Capable, boxy, reliable and sought after. Next up, wood vinyl wrap for the sides!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-04-2016 07:17 PM #11
      Interesting how my supposed POS BMW required far fewer repairs over a similar time period than a Honda, all of which have faultless reliability!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      08-04-2016 07:25 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Interesting how my supposed POS BMW required far fewer repairs over a similar time period than a Honda, all of which have faultless reliability!
      Your engine is a Gigantic Pieces of ****!

Vehicles
      08-04-2016 07:25 PM #13
      Only "failures" were really the two wheel bearings, bushings and a leaking shock. In 75K, I don't really think that's too bad. Especially for the pothole infested northeast.

Would your BMW dealer treat you as well as my Honda dealer does/did, only charging $100 for a shock replacement and then doing both shocks just because? Serious question, not being facetious.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-04-2016 07:33 PM #14
      Only "failures" were really the two wheel bearings, bushings and a leaking shock. In 75K, I don't really think that's too bad. Especially for the pothole infested northeast.

Would your BMW dealer treat you as well as my Honda dealer does/did, only charging $100 for a shock replacement and then doing both shocks just because? Serious question, not being facetious.
      Serious answer: I would not take my car to the dealer. Having said that, I would certainly expect to pay more than $100 for a shock, especially since they are electronically adjustable. Though the actual cost of repairs was never in question. Then again, if I took the car back to the dealer where I bought it, I would probably get a Maserati loaner car while getting virtually fisted for the repair cost. Might be worth it depending on the Maserati!

Luckily, the car has kept itself together. So far.

Vehicles
      08-04-2016 07:37 PM #15
      Serious answer: I would not take my car to the dealer. Having said that, I would certainly expect to pay more than $100 for a shock, especially since they are electronically adjustable. Though the actual cost of repairs was never in question. Then again, if I took the car back to the dealer where I bought it, I would probably get a Maserati loaner car while getting virtually fisted for the repair cost. Might be worth it depending on the Maserati!

Luckily, the car has kept itself together. So far.
      Fair enough.

I would love a new X5 in my driveway, they are insanely good looking...with that BMWs scare the bejesus out of me (even before that Japolnik click bait CF). So I'm always rushing to Honda or the likes because I play it boringly safe.
      Last edited by GolfTango; 08-04-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-04-2016 07:40 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Your engine is a Gigantic Pieces of ****!
      Yeah guy, get it! RARARARARARA---BMW sucks, Honda rocks--RARARARARARARA! I'll take the engine in my car over any Honda street engine ever offered for the US market. Tell me about the catastrophic engine failure you experienced in your S65-equipped M3. I've had SO many problems with the S65 in my car and before that, the MT-82 in my mustang....oh wait, I didn't have a single problem with either.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      08-04-2016 07:43 PM #17
      The truth is honda and toyotas havent really been more reliable than other makers in recent times. Theyre still good but it aint like the 80s and 90s/

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      08-04-2016 07:48 PM #18
      Does that model have 3rd row seats?

Vehicles
      Hondas
      08-04-2016 07:50 PM #19
      With the rear area seats folded down, what is the cargo floor to ceiling height measurement like? A couple of times a year I have to load up a vehicle with giant hockey bags and can never take my own vehicle because of it. I have been toying with the idea of getting an SUV and I wouldn't mind one with some vertical room so I can still fit people and stack bags like that.

I never thought this would be a metric I would care about, but...
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      08-04-2016 07:52 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by limastock View Post
      The truth is honda and toyotas havent really been more reliable than other makers in recent times. Theyre still good but it aint like the 80s and 90s/
      But what were that Japanese up against in the 80s and 90s? American and Korea makes were nasty. European makes were really the only thing close in reliability to the Japanese. But like today, cost associated with repairs kept average folks at bay. So the Japanese makes stood out and set the benchmark.

Now the Korean brands are on the same par quality wise as the Japanese. American cars have come a long way too. So it's not that they aren't more reliable, everything else has caught up (for the most part.)

Vehicles
      08-04-2016 08:00 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Does that model have 3rd row seats?
      Absolutely and they fit adults with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmix5 View Post
      With the rear area seats folded down, what is the cargo floor to ceiling height measurement like? A couple of times a year I have to load up a vehicle with giant hockey bags and can never take my own vehicle because of it. I have been toying with the idea of getting an SUV and I wouldn't mind one with some vertical room so I can still fit people and stack bags like that.

I never thought this would be a metric I would care about, but...
      It's cavernous with the all the seats down and ample with just the 3rd row down. IIRC it's about 36" from cargo floor to the ceiling right at the hatch opening. I'll recheck later.

Vehicles
      Hondas
      08-04-2016 08:08 PM #22
      Thanks!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek (Mine), 2012 Kia Sorento (Wife's)
      08-04-2016 10:27 PM #23
      We almost bought one when we purchased my wife's Sorento last year. Glad to know you are happy with it. Definitely would consider one down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vehicles
      2000 GLX Passat wagon
      08-05-2016 08:18 AM #24
      Ditto the Honda praise. My Ridgeline has been a rock.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Audis, 2 Hondas, 1 BMW
      08-05-2016 09:13 AM #25
      I have this aching suspicion that the 2nd gen Pilot will be the Grand Wagoneer of our generation. Capable, boxy, reliable and sought after.
      They are capable but I wouldn't given them Grand Wagoneer status, those have been around a lot longer than the 6 yrs of our Gen 2 and make the top 10 list of cars the affluent drive.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast