Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 32K mile update - 2012 Honda Pilot

08-05-2016 10:44 AM #26
      We bought a 2011 Pilot in 2013. CPO, 39k miles on it. Ours currently has 116k and is my wife's DD and our family truckster. I have nothing but good things to say.

Our local dealership (Roush Honda in Westerville, OH) is excellent and worked with us and Honda Customer Service when our front compliance bushings needed replacement. They ate the labor, and we paid for parts. Since it was CPO and had an extended warranty through 100k, I took it to the dealership for oil changes, and it needed nothing else other than the compliance bushings.

At 100k I took over maintenance, and did the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, all of the associated tensioners, and the spark plugs. I also replaced the rear shocks because the stock ones were worn out, and both front door lock actuators which started failing within 2 months of each other. It's been a great family vehicle, and has returned a hair over 20mpg combined over the course of our ownership.

Highly recommend http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/ for all you guys who wrench on your own stuff but want OEM parts.

We road tripped it from Columbus to Raleigh, NC for our 10yr anniversary last year. It absolutely shredded the Tail of the Dragon on the way back.

Last edited by MKTSC; 08-05-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      08-05-2016 11:02 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Yeah guy, get it! RARARARARARA---BMW sucks, Honda rocks--RARARARARARARA! I'll take the engine in my car over any Honda street engine ever offered for the US market. Tell me about the catastrophic engine failure you experienced in your S65-equipped M3. I've had SO many problems with the S65 in my car and before that, the MT-82 in my mustang....oh wait, I didn't have a single problem with either.
      Look around. You're posting this in a thread about a guys experience with his family hauler Honda Pilot. Now chill out.

Vehicles
      '17 Accord Sport SE 6MT & '12 Honda Pilot EX-L Family Truckster
      08-05-2016 12:05 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by MKTSC View Post
      We bought a 2011 Pilot in 2013. CPO, 39k miles on it. Ours currently has 116k and is my wife's DD and our family truckster. I have nothing but good things to say.

Our local dealership (Roush Honda in Westerville, OH) is excellent and worked with us and Honda Customer Service when our front compliance bushings needed replacement. They ate the labor, and we paid for parts. Since it was CPO and had an extended warranty through 100k, I took it to the dealership for oil changes, and it needed nothing else other than the compliance bushings.

At 100k I took over maintenance, and did the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, all of the associated tensioners, and the spark plugs. I also replaced the rear shocks because the stock ones were worn out, and both front door lock actuators which started failing within 2 months of each other. It's been a great family vehicle, and has returned a hair over 20mpg combined over the course of our ownership.

Highly recommend http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/ for all you guys who wrench on your own stuff but want OEM parts.

We road tripped it from Columbus to Raleigh, NC for our 10yr anniversary last year. It absolutely shredded the Tail of the Dragon on the way back.

My dealer handles the oil changes & tire rotations. But I've been doing the ATF and Rear Diff fluid changes.

However I just found out that there is a center diff which needs attention too. Looks like it takes 80w90 G4 or G5 hypoid fluid:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141101...placement.html

I haven't had any VCM issues or oil consumption. Recently I checked the plugs and stuck a borescope down each cylinder and everything looks phenomenal.
      Last edited by GolfTango; 08-05-2016 at 12:10 PM.

08-05-2016 12:12 PM #29
      I had the dealer replace the ATF and diff fluids at one of my oil changes. I'll do the next round myself. Overall it's a very easy vehicle to service. For my oil changes, I leave the car on the ground and just turn the wheel all the way to the right. Perfect access to the filter. Once you get the right combination of extensions/sockets, even the back 3 plugs weren't bad. Timing belt service took just under 4hrs.

It's been a beast in Ohio winters with the stock Goodyear Forteras, but they're about due for replacement and we'll probably upgrade to Michelin LTX's.

Vehicles
      08-05-2016 12:25 PM #30
      I had the dealer replace the ATF and diff fluids at one of my oil changes. I'll do the next round myself. Overall it's a very easy vehicle to service. For my oil changes, I leave the car on the ground and just turn the wheel all the way to the right. Perfect access to the filter. Once you get the right combination of extensions/sockets, even the back 3 plugs weren't bad. Timing belt service took just under 4hrs.

It's been a beast in Ohio winters with the stock Goodyear Forteras, but they're about due for replacement and we'll probably upgrade to Michelin LTX's.
      I'll echo how easy it is to wrench on. Brakes are a breeze too.

Not looking forward to the timing belt job, but I still have 25K left to gather the courage. Eric the Car Guy has an excellent tutorial.

Every Honda I've had has always has the best ride/handling on OE Michellins. When I bought the Pilot there were new Firestone Destinations on it and the ride was horrible. Constant vibration that numerous attempts at road force balancing couldn't cure. The dealer finally swapped the tires for OE Michellins and it immediately cured all the drivetrain vibrations. They are pricey and I doubt they will last to their advertised mileage rating, but they ride quiet and smooth.

08-05-2016 12:35 PM #31
      Forgot to mention I did brakes about a year ago too. Dealer quote was outrageous, I did front rotors and pads and rear pads. It was a breeze to wrench on.

The timing belt wasn't bad. I did my homework, watched the videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-ZMNhOT-M), and printed out the best tutorial I could find.

The crank bolt was the hardest part for me, and even that was pretty easy. I bought the crank tool, and the weighted impact socket (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-H.../dp/B00RGNCV1U). Everything came apart and went back together with ease, and neither camshaft rotated at all so getting the timing marks lined up was easy. Not the easiest service I've ever done, but far from the most difficult.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Mazda Miata NA, Honda Pilot
      08-05-2016 12:51 PM #32
      My wife just called me the other day and told me her battery died. It's been acting weird and I didn't want to deal with it when we had an eight day streak of +100 degree days. So... thankfully it fully died in the garage and not in the parking lot of Costco, Target, Lulu Lemon.

Also thankful that Honda makes getting the battery out the simplest thing. A 10mm wrench of your choice. BAM. I was expecting German issues, but nope. It's in an easy place to grab, it's not surrounded by all kinds of ****, the hardest thing to deal with is the carrying strap everyone seems to put on batteries now (when did that ever become a thing?). My only misstep was needing terminal shims. I had to make a second trip to the local O'Reily's because I couldn't tighten down the collar onto the terminals. Missed it by like 1mm. That sucked.

Our's has about 120k. It is a workhorse since my wife hates driving in the Mini, which is fine by me. She didn't seem to care that I had small cars when we were dating 15-20 years ago, but I digress. Anywho, the thing just keeps going. It has a transmission shutter that I read about in the Pilot forums, but it doesn't seem to break anything and I never mentioned it to her since it's not a safety issue. The only issue we have currently is the Taketa passenger airbag. When we got the form, they said they'd have the bag in a week. Four weeks later she called and the service advisor said, "don't worry, I put my wife, daughters, sons, grandma, etc. in that seat. It's an issue overblown." Weird response. But, okay.

I did get to learn how to do some wet sanding on the rear tailgate because I lowered the garage door with the hatch open. Ooops. My bad. But now, it's broken in for my daughter to drive in six years.

Vehicles
      08-05-2016 02:30 PM #33
      Forgot to mention I did brakes about a year ago too. Dealer quote was outrageous, I did front rotors and pads and rear pads. It was a breeze to wrench on.

The timing belt wasn't bad. I did my homework, watched the videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-ZMNhOT-M), and printed out the best tutorial I could find.

The crank bolt was the hardest part for me, and even that was pretty easy. I bought the crank tool, and the weighted impact socket (https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-H.../dp/B00RGNCV1U). Everything came apart and went back together with ease, and neither camshaft rotated at all so getting the timing marks lined up was easy. Not the easiest service I've ever done, but far from the most difficult.
      I can see you can get the crank tool, harmonic balancer holding tool and Asian timing belt kit with water pump for $244.45. Sure beats the $1K plus bill.

Vehicles
      08-06-2016 08:56 AM #34
      dcmix5, almost forgot! It's 33.5" from cargo floor to roof trim. Then it opens up a big more, but that its narrowest measurement.

08-08-2016 08:46 AM #35
      I splurged a bit on the 100k service items. I bought all OEM stuff, got the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, serpentine belt and tensioner, spark plugs (~$14/plug), and a few jugs of the Honda blue coolant. There were a few stretch bolts that needed replaced too that I got. I think I spent in the neighborhood of $600 for all of the parts.

Vehicles
      04-02-2017 10:13 PM #36
      Update. I'm at 89,500 miles. Here's a list of all the maintenance items, warranty & non warranty with costs:

$2158.53 not including gas, property tax or insurance costs. Plus I did replace the rear pads at some point but can't remember the cost.

The Michelin tires were prorated by Michelin so the $681.31 is not the true representation of the cost.

I have the plugs and t-belt service just on the horizon. . Then I hope for another 50K before it's time for Family Truckster II.

Wash and waxed her today, man the Alabaster Silver cleans up nice. Interior and leather are holding up extremely well. I will need to replace the front drivers side door seal, starting to rip on the bottom.

Last edited by GolfTango; 04-02-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:00 AM #37
      Nice! My wife was out of town for the weekend so I replaced the rear shocks since I wasn't going to be rushed. Pretty simple to do. Ours is at 125,000. First time changed. . They were dead. Next time she's out of town, I'll tackle the front's.

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:17 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      Nice! My wife was out of town for the weekend so I replaced the rear shocks since I wasn't going to be rushed. Pretty simple to do. Ours is at 125,000. First time changed. . They were dead. Next time she's out of town, I'll tackle the front's.
      Only reason I replaced mine so prematurely was one was leaking. I pointed it out to my service advisor and they goodwill replaced both for $100. Not bad. Front struts are still holding up well. Speaking of suspension/front end, I think my steering is getting a bit sloppy. Maybe steering rack bushings? I recall earlier Hondas having an adjustment in the steering rack, not sure if the Pilot does.
      Last edited by GolfTango; 04-03-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      04-03-2017 07:52 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      I think my steering is getting a bit sloppy. Maybe steering rack bushings? I recall earlier Hondas having an adjustment in the steering rack, not sure if the Pilot does.
      The pre-load is adjustable, but I've only had to adjust a handful in my entire career. Sloppy as in easier? Movement/Free-Play?

Vehicles
      2016 Hyundai Tucson SE AWD
      04-03-2017 09:13 AM #40
      I just stumbled onto these. I didn't think they were that big inside, well I don't really know about the size of the Pilot. I sat in a 1st gen MDX and realized that I can sit comfortable, I'm 6' 4", and can fit a baby seat behind me. I'm guessing that the Pilot is as big or bigger.

Question, should any of the problems people are having out there scare me away from buying a used one? I know about the early Honda V6 trans problems. It seems that if you stay away from the 00-02 models and change the fluid regularly you should be OK. What about the VCM problem in the newer models?

Thanks for putting all of the info you have been on here. It's helping make my decision. I might go look at a low mileage 2009.

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      04-03-2017 09:21 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by JUSTAGL View Post
      should any of the problems people are having out there scare me away from buying a used one? I might go look at a low mileage 2009.
      - The VCM concern will be warrantied/covered for the better part of the duration of mankind if the vehicle has had basic maintenance items. I've seen the warranty extension extended well into the 200k range.
      - Transmission concerns on these models are only relating to both VCM switchover points and torque converter lock-up shudder. Both are easily fixable w/ a PCM software update
      - The front lower control arm bushings are a known-issue and also covered w/ updated parts up to a specific mileage (frankly if they haven't been replaced yet, it's due)

There are a variety of small issues, but nothing that would keep me from buying used. Just know that the VCM concern can be addressed at almost any point under warranty if you can prove the normal services were performed.

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 10:42 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      The pre-load is adjustable, but I've only had to adjust a handful in my entire career. Sloppy as in easier? Movement/Free-Play?
      Yes as in actual free play when tracking straight at highway speed. Just feeling "sloppier" than I remember.

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      04-03-2017 10:43 AM #43
      Yes as in actual free play when tracking straight at highway speed. Just feeling "sloppier" than I remember.
      Outer tie-rod ends. Jack up the front and check for movement left to right at each wheel/tire

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:34 PM #44
      Outer tie-rod ends. Jack up the front and check for movement left to right at each wheel/tire
      I had a hunch...I'll check tonight.

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:38 PM #45
      - The VCM concern will be warrantied/covered for the better part of the duration of mankind if the vehicle has had basic maintenance items. I've seen the warranty extension extended well into the 200k range.
      - Transmission concerns on these models are only relating to both VCM switchover points and torque converter lock-up shudder. Both are easily fixable w/ a PCM software update
      - The front lower control arm bushings are a known-issue and also covered w/ updated parts up to a specific mileage (frankly if they haven't been replaced yet, it's due)

There are a variety of small issues, but nothing that would keep me from buying used. Just know that the VCM concern can be addressed at almost any point under warranty if you can prove the normal services were performed.
      Ours shudders and my wife doesn't seem to mind. Every time I might take it in for an oil change, nobody mentions anything. Should I just leave it alone?

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:39 PM #46
      Only reason I replaced mine so prematurely was one was leaking. I pointed it out to my service advisor and they goodwill replaced both for $100. Not bad. Front struts are still holding up well. Speaking of suspension/front end, I think my steering is getting a bit sloppy. Maybe steering rack bushings? I recall earlier Hondas having an adjustment in the steering rack, not sure if the Pilot does.
      When I was looking at your spreadsheet, that dollar amount had made me wonder why I did it myself. Now that makes more sense!

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:51 PM #47
      Ours shudders and my wife doesn't seem to mind. Every time I might take it in for an oil change, nobody mentions anything. Should I just leave it alone?
      The VCM TSB targets colder region VCM vibrations. It calls for a the AT and PGM-FI software update and propeller shaft replacement. If your VIN falls in affected vehicle range, I'd mention it.

http://m.oemdtc.com/Honda/TSB/A14-078.pdf

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 12:59 PM #48
      The VCM TSB targets colder region VCM vibrations. It calls for a the AT and PGM-FI software update and propeller shaft replacement. If your VIN falls in affected vehicle range, I'd mention it.

http://m.oemdtc.com/Honda/TSB/A14-078.pdf
      That's why they never mention anything. We own a 2011.

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      04-03-2017 01:05 PM #49
      That's why they never mention anything. We own a 2011.
      There is still a software update for yours as well.

Vehicles
      04-03-2017 01:07 PM #50
      Thanks! I'll look into it.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast