VWVortex.com - A year of compromise - SQ5 ownership update - 1 year 13,000 miles
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A year of compromise - SQ5 ownership update - 1 year 13,000 miles

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-08-2016 08:29 PM #1
      My father told me as I approached my 30th birthday that the key to life wasn't finding the perfect job/wife/life/etc, but learning to recognize when you need to compromise. I guess part of getting older is realizing that you won't always get what you want, but if you work hard you can probably get 75-80% of what you want. Something, something, Rolling Stones song. With this in mind I began my search for my next car a year ago. I wanted a manual rwd or awd wagon powered by a forced induction 6 or 8 cylinder within my ~$60K budget. AKA, the TCL pipe dream. I started my search and quickly realized that I had to include CUVs, much to my dismay. After a few months of searching, I made my first adult compromise, just a few months before my 30th birthday I bought a new Audi SQ5.

2015 in Moonlight Blue and Black/Chestnut, Premium Plus, black optics, 21"s, B&O sound, and Tech package. A living breathing oxymoron, it was a "performance suv."

In my year of ownership I tried to make the SUV less, well, SUV-like.

I replaced the stock 21x8.5 wheels running 255s, with 20x10 running 295s. I don't think I could fit more tire on the fronts. I also put in an 034 x-brace, 034 drivetrain stiffeners, 034 swaybar, and KW HAS, in an effort to make it handle better. I was pretty successful, I'm often surprised how planted it feels taking on/off ramps way too fast for a 4400lb SUV. I also did some other minor things 034 intake, ported the stock airbox for more whine, LED interior lights, e-code headlights, hardwired radar, and got a tint.

The plans for the future include a stage 2 tune (hopefully 034), AWE Exhaust, and probably true coilovers (KW V2/V3).

This is how she/he/it currently sits. (photos courtesy of 034 Motorsport)

Dat ass doe.

On to my review. The car is still very fun to drive. It is surprisingly quick and still puts a smile on my face every damn time I drive it. It also handles DD duties extremely well, while I don't feel super connected to the road, it is comfortable sitting in traffic and does well on long trips full of camping/hiking/other gear. I'm averaging around 15 mpg in daily driving, but IDGAF about gas milage. I don't buy cars for mileage, I buy them to have fun.

Overall, the car met my requirements, even though it isn't a wagon.

1. It's a quick, for being a 4400lb SUV - surprisingly so. I often catch people off guard by either catching up to them or leaving them behind.
      2. It blends in really well in the mudaine silcon valley. Discretion is nice.
      3. It has been cheap to own/maintain. My only large expenses have been mods. I haven't done a cost of ownership because I'm not Emmett
      4. It is comfortable for DD duties and I don't mind sitting in the terrible bay area traffic in it.
      5. I have room for the dog.

My only maintenance issue was a busted water pump the dealer found while in for service, it was fixed under warranty and wasn't really an issue for me. Other than that it has been extremely reliable and I'm optimistic on the stoutness of the drivetrain.

My dad was right, life is about compromises. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go the same route. It wasn't the perfect car in stock form, but making it closer to what I originally wanted has been a fun process. I've also learned a valuable life lesson, you have to make some concessions to be happy.
      Last edited by bothhandsplease; 06-09-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-08-2016 08:39 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      KW HAS,
      what be this?

that's a lot of tire.
      Dave

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      06-08-2016 08:42 PM #3
      Pretty cool, those handle surprisingly well
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-08-2016 08:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      what be this?

that's a lot of tire.
      They are adjustable springs. They have an adjustable perch.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-08-2016 08:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      They are adjustable springs. They have an adjustable perch.
      how much do you figure you lowered it.
      Dave

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-08-2016 09:04 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      how much do you figure you lowered it.
      A little under 2 inches

06-08-2016 09:05 PM #7
      I have a moonlight blue Q5 3.0T and I went through the same buying decision as you (except when I did it, there was no SQ5).

Are you sure the tires doesn't rub? I mean that is a lot of rubber!

I thought about lowering my Q5 as well but I was afraid the ride quality will take a big hit, which will make the wife unhappy. How does your SQ5 ride compare to stock? Much stiffer or about the same?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      06-08-2016 09:06 PM #8
      nice update, but i cant think of anything that looks worse than a lowered suv/crossover. to each their own though, flame away.

06-08-2016 09:11 PM #9
      Nice car, but I don't get buying a taller riding CUV and then lowering it.

Either way, as long as it makes you happy that's all that matters. I love those seats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

06-08-2016 09:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      You are talking like there are plenty of 350hp wagons to choose from in the Land of the Free. OP even explained why he ended up in buying the SQ5. I know I wouldn't be driving a Q5 if S4 Avant or 335i wagon was available.

Vehicles
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      06-08-2016 09:20 PM #11
      I think it looks gorgeous as it sits.

Also, not being Emmett is a good thing. A very, very good thing.
      14-24

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

12. 06-08-2016 09:24 PM #12
      Why not a Golf R? Not enough space? Think it's everything you want otherwise. That's probably my next car.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      06-08-2016 09:31 PM #13
      I wish I had the money for SQ5, I'd trade the STI for one in a heartbeat. Your looks fantastic.

As for talking about "compromise" with a sporty-as-f*** $60k SUV. Uhh, ok...

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-08-2016 09:52 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      I have a moonlight blue Q5 3.0T and I went through the same buying decision as you (except when I did it, there was no SQ5).

Are you sure the tires doesn't rub? I mean that is a lot of rubber!

I thought about lowering my Q5 as well but I was afraid the ride quality will take a big hit, which will make the wife unhappy. How does your SQ5 ride compare to stock? Much stiffer or about the same?
      No rubbing. I've got about 1cm clearance on the inside upper control arm/steering knuckle. It's close, but no rubbing. I've got the HAS fully down, which gives a little more bounce than I'd like. The ride isn't much stiffer, but things are nicely firmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendiary View Post
      Why not a Golf R? Not enough space? Think it's everything you want otherwise. That's probably my next car.
      Holy shizz. A member for 11 years and you come out of hibernation to comment on my thread? I feel honered. To answer you questions, I wanted more luxury, more space, and more than 4 cylinders. Plus when I was shopping the golf r wasn't as available as the audi. Same reason the Macan didn't end up in my garage, that and I wouldn't have been happy unless I had a fully loaded turbo model and I didn't want a $100k CUV

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I wish I had the money for SQ5, I'd trade the STI for one in a heartbeat. Your looks fantastic.

As for talking about "compromise" with a sporty-as-f*** $60k SUV. Uhh, ok...
      Cue my inner Veruca Salt "but I wanted a wagon!!!" Thanks for the kind words, I still get giddy when see it sitting in parking lots.
      Last edited by bothhandsplease; 06-09-2016 at 01:30 AM.

06-08-2016 09:54 PM #15
      I have such a soft spot for these. I prefer the stock look but I'm glad you've been enjoying the car. The SQ5 is an awesome way to get around.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      03 SVT Focus /98 Silverado
      06-08-2016 10:19 PM #16
      Drove a '16 recently. Very well sorted vehicle that returns good mileage for the size and feels more like a sedan then an SUV. You've done a very nice job in "upgrading" it too...don't use the word "mod" as it cheapens your efforts

Vehicles
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      06-08-2016 10:20 PM #17
      the sq5 is definitely something i wouldnt mind replacing my s4 with. I feel like audi just took the s4 and combined it with the q5 to make an all around solid vehicle. The room to haul stuff (which i greatly need lately) and the ability to have some fun driving when you want to.

Yours looks super nice though, i love the interior/exterior color combo. It sits nice over those wheels too

Vehicles
      2011 Hyundai Sonata; 1996 BMW M3
      06-08-2016 10:40 PM #18
      ****ing bad ass.. love it

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-08-2016 10:48 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I have such a soft spot for these. I prefer the stock look but I'm glad you've been enjoying the car. The SQ5 is an awesome way to get around.
      I'm a fan of how it sits now and how it looked stock. I do enjoy the 2" of additional rubber at all 4 corners and the 14lbs I saved on each wheel over the stock set up. I really did it for more function than form.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      06-08-2016 10:55 PM #20
      The state of the Union today: Jacking station wagons up just to lower them back down again. Where's our RS6?
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Vehicles
      2016 BMW i3, 2013 Accord EX-L V6, 2001 S2000
      06-08-2016 10:56 PM #21
      I've always thought these were outrageously priced for the size but I'm glad you are happy OP. It looks fairly sharp.
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      06-08-2016 11:18 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      The state of the Union today: Jacking station wagons up just to lower them back down again. Where's our RS6?
      So...lowering is only for cars that are already low?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I've always thought these were outrageously priced for the size but I'm glad you are happy OP. It looks fairly sharp.
      That's exactly what I say about the Veyron. I mean, you pay a couple million bucks and look how tiny it is!

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-08-2016 11:30 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      So...lowering is only for cars that are already low?

That's exactly what I say about the Veyron. I mean, you pay a couple million bucks and look how tiny it is!

hushy, if you like the stock SQ, you have to get behind the wheel of mine with all the 034 goodies. the sway isn't even in production yet! one of these weekends we'll connect. I want to get some nice shots so i can make some prints (i mean why else am i working at a photo printing company?).

24. 06-08-2016 11:58 PM #24
      The new v60 pole stars are pretty damn nice in the performance wagon space

Vehicles
      mom car & a miata
      06-09-2016 12:23 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by fastlax16 View Post
      The new v60 pole stars are pretty damn nice in the performance wagon space

Man, I'm pulling out the lukers! 11 years and only 9 posts! I'm honored.

I looked at the volvos, the older 6 speed and fact that there are less aftermarket "improvements" dissuaded me. I liked the audi because of how robust and well tested (read abused) the 3.0T platform was.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast