VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

AEM UEGO Wideband - Using Narrowband output for ECU?

12K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Union Forge 
#1 ·
OK, here's the script...

I currently have an Innovate LC-1 kit hooked up to my G60. It's wired so that the Innovate narrowband output is feeding the digi ECU in place of the standard lambda. All good.

Or maybe not. I've never been completely happy with the Innovate, especially the need for free air calibrations etc.

So I'm looking at going for an AEM UEGO kit. Either the 30-4110 - https://www.aemeurope.co.uk/product.../Digital-Wideband-UEGO-Air-/-Fuel-Ratio-Gauge

Or the 30-0300 https://www.aemeurope.co.uk/product...ies-Wideband-UEGO-AFR-Sensor-Controller-Gauge

But I can't for the lifeof me find out if either of those will simulate a proper 0-1v that the digi ECU requires! :confused:

I keep coming across forums where there are many replies from people who don't understand the idea of simulating narrowband back to the original ECU, and just end up thinking that people like me want to somehow use the wideband lambda as a narrowband!:screwy:

All I can find on the AEM websites is that there is a 0-5v output which is obviously no good.

Can anybody help? Anybody any experience of running either of these on a G60?

See less See more
#3 ·
I do keep coming across that switch but it's on the older gauges as far as I can tell. I read about the switch not offering ideal measurements too as it operated on slightly different voltages or something...

Really confused about the above gauges regards a good simulated output for the digi ECU. :confused: There's nothing in the documentation/instructions on AEM's sites or anything.

#4 ·
In fact it seems you are right about the 30-4110.

The instructions for that gauge here http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-4110 Digital Wideband UEGO Gauge.pdf Mention the switch like so:

Configuring Calibration Outputs
The AEM default position is (P0). When set to (P0) (Figure 10A), the gauge displays
AFR values. (P1) is the same as (P0), except the gauge displays lambda values. These
settings (P1 and P0) implement a linear calibration with the most useful voltage range
possible (0-5V). The AFR calibration (P2) is linear and similar to (P1) with a smaller
voltage range (1-2V). The AFR calibration (P3) emulates the Autronic Wideband O2
Sensor calibration (0-1V). The AFR calibration (P4) emulates a non-linear Nernst Cell
calibration (0-1V).
And then under a graph it says:
With the screwdriver, clock the rotary switch into the desired calibration position, referring to the diagram
below (Figure 10A), and watch the alphanumeric readout, which will display the new position when
entered.
If you look at the graph, position 4 on the switch (AFR Nernst Emulation P4) says 0-1V...But the graph doesn't actually show it as that, I think that's where the problem is. It's more like 0.1-0.9V and I'm not sure the switchover point is right for the digi ECU. As well as that, does this switch adjust the gauge readout or just the narrowband output? Obviously I'd want to still see the wideband reading on the gauge.

The instructions for the 30-0300 are just as lacking...No mention of a switch though. But also no mention of being able to adjust the 0-5V output!
http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-0300 X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Gauge.pdf

Confused.

#7 · (Edited)
Riley - Sorry to leach on your thread but something caught my eye and I have some questions for you... So here it is. I had heard about how you can piggy back an ECU off of the narrowband output of the LC-1 while running only the O2 sensor that goes with the LC-1. So I was getting ready to install the wideband controller and someone told me not to waste my time that the factory ECU would not understand the signal coming from the LC-1. However I think that he was confused thinking I wanted to run the ECU off of the wideband channel, or maybe he was un-aware that the LC-1 actually has a narrowband output as well. So my question is does this work? Also you said that you were unhappy with the LC-1. Was it just that you needed to free air calibrate it or was there an issue with the performance of the unit as well? Any input on experience with this controller would be greatly appreciated, and also how you feel about the AEM unit as well. Thank you very much.

Oh yeah and I think your thread would get a much better response in the FORCED INDUCTION Threads. Probably a much higher volume of people browsing that category and using the device since there are so many turbo setups, in comparison to G60 guys. We are a diving breed.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.