VWVortex.com - Top Gear USA Films It's last ep for History, maybe done.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear USA Films It's last ep for History, maybe done.

1. 06-27-2016 10:44 AM #26
      Why was it ever on the History Channel to begin with? That's like putting reality shows on a music channel... oh, wait...

p.s. Title corrected

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      06-27-2016 10:47 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      That really is too bad, TGUS has gotten better over the years and it seems like they have a good working chemistry on the show.
      I agree, the first season was painful ... but since then enjoyable and the boys really seem to enjoy working together!
      Hope another network picks up TGUSA
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

Vehicles
      2014 W212 sport
      06-27-2016 10:53 AM #28
      and its cancelled, i think i've only watched a few episodes but why do they feel the need to just do the same things tguk did it makes no sens try different stuff

it was starting to get better as they got more comfortable with each other but somethng was missing

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      06-27-2016 10:56 AM #29
      the only thing that drives me nuts about TGUSA (and most shows in America) are the bumpers before and after commercial breaks. I don't need a preview of what's coming up, you already did a preview at the beginning of the show, i don't have such a slight attention span that i forgot what the show was about during the 5min commercial break. And i don't need a wrap up of what happened before the commercial break either. Before and after every commercial break
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      4.6L 44V 10 Cylinder Turbo
      06-27-2016 10:58 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      and its cancelled, i think i've only watched a few episodes but why do they feel the need to just do the same things tguk did it makes no sens try different stuff

it was starting to get better as they got more comfortable with each other but somethng was missing
      this^^^

I've skimmed across a hand full of episodes over the various seasons they have had and there is just nothing there for me. again, each of them are trying to inherit the façade of their TGUK counter part, rather than acting like themselves. a pretty obvious difference you can see if you watch Foust on that show, then watch him on live TV at a race even, or Rut at a NASCAR or Auction event...they are a different person when scripted for the show just to maintain the façade to be like their UK counterpart

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      the only thing that drives me nuts about TGUSA (and most shows in America) are the bumpers before and after commercial breaks. I don't need a preview of what's coming up, you already did a preview at the beginning of the show, i don't have such a slight attention span that i forgot what the show was about during the 5min commercial break. And i don't need a wrap up of what happened before the commercial break either. Before and after every commercial break
      this drove me batcrap crazy as well
      ***PM me for VAGCOM services, parts installs and repair, and light fabrication work in the SOMD/VA area***

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
      And I'm just letting you know that you don't know entirely what you are talking about.

Vehicles
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      06-27-2016 11:01 AM #31
      i'll greatly miss watching this show. When it first aired i wasn't sure if I would like it, since i was of course comparing it to TGUK, but after the first season and things started flowing better i looked forward to it every week, and then new seasons.... hopefully another network picks them up. They all seem to work well together and put on a great show thats fun to watch

7. Member
      Vehicles
      NC Club, IS350F
      06-27-2016 11:02 AM #32
      Well I hope someone picks it up. I think the guys have good chemistry.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      06-27-2016 11:37 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      This!

TG USA was a fantastic spin off of the original IMO... All three worked together really well. I usually came away laughing through most of each episode it was that good.

Too bad they're ending it, probably going to replace it with some sad excuse for a show about preggo teens or digging for gold nonsense
      nah, it'll be about some douche bag garage owner who buys rare cars and restores them for douchebag customers...

Vehicles
      12' V6 TDI ........ 00' VR6T ..........72' 914-6.................15' Honda CTX700N
      06-27-2016 11:41 AM #34
      Bye Felica!
      Larry
      Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels and Cuddles Therapist of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The boobs. I am waiting on the boobs here.

Vehicles
      91 318iS, 03 Forester
      06-27-2016 11:43 AM #35
      Bummer, I actually quite liked it after the 1st season although the last season left a bit to be desired, it was still a fun show to watch. Never really liked Adam, his voice is too loud and personality is annoying But I really liked Rutledge and Tanner.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      03 Forester

11. Forum Sponsor brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1980 Porsche 911SC 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      06-27-2016 11:47 AM #36
      I hear you there, but it's a proven strategy to retain channel surfers. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's worked on me many times

06-27-2016 12:01 PM #37
      First few episodes were meh, but once it got its legs it was enjoyable to watch.

Hopefully another network picks it up.

This show is certainly more enjoyable to watch than the current incarnation of Top Gear UK. That show is going downhill fast.
      2012 Audi A4 Quattro Premium Plus, push start/stop, Nav, lots of vagcom tweaks.

2011 VW CC fog lights retrofit LINK
      CC Windows w/key fob & Rain Closing - LINK

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      06-27-2016 12:18 PM #38
      Seems like every show of this kind on cable is like this. I agree, it's maddening.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      06-27-2016 12:35 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Seems like every show of this kind on cable is like this. I agree, it's maddening.
      or when they post a spoiler for what's up next?
      TBS did this with The Detour at one point...

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Mazda Miata NA, Honda Pilot
      06-27-2016 12:42 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I enjoy it, watched every episode with my son.
      My 10 year old daughter LOVED this show. I'll have to try to find their old episodes, since she just started watching it this season... Bummer.

16. 06-27-2016 12:43 PM #41
      Velocity should snap this one up. Drop one of the goofy "restoration" programs (i.e. Iron Resurrection, Fantom Works, Junkyard Empire or Graveyard Carz) and replace one of those clunkers with TGUS. At least it would be something different. I really enjoy car restoration programs on Velocity but these four (to me) aren't worth watching or at least are less than TGUS.
      Last edited by sullie; 06-27-2016 at 01:48 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Oryx White Golf R 6mt+DCC+NAV
      06-27-2016 02:44 PM #42
      I have tried watching this show a few times over the past couple years trying to like it and I just didn't. It felt fake to me and it felt like they were trying way too hard to be funny. The show seemed very unoriginal to me.

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      06-27-2016 02:48 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by sullie View Post
      Velocity should snap this one up. Drop one of the goofy "restoration" programs (i.e. Iron Resurrection, Fantom Works, Junkyard Empire or Graveyard Carz) and replace one of those clunkers with TGUS. At least it would be something different. I really enjoy car restoration programs on Velocity but these four (to me) aren't worth watching or at least are less than TGUS.
      YES, THIS. please Velocity! i'd personally keep Fantomworks, but those other 3 can go (Graveyard Cars, ugh)!

TGUS is its own unique thing after this much time, and i enjoy it for what it is... i'll miss those 3 goofballs unless they turn up elsewhere.

Vehicles
      2017 Buick LaCrosse; 2016 GMC Acadia SLT
      06-27-2016 02:52 PM #44
      I watched most of the first season, but never really enjoyed the show. The guys had chemistry, but the show was too much the same every week; and unlike the UK version, the US version was just a "challenge of the week" show. The UK version actually varied things quite a bit from episode to episode.

I wish someone would pick it up and then challenge the producers to be more creative. I did like the guys on the show, but I think they have more to offer than what I saw on the few episodes that I watched.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Oryx White Golf R 6mt+DCC+NAV
      06-27-2016 02:55 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post
      YES, THIS. please Velocity! i'd personally keep Fantomworks, but those other 3 can go (Graveyard Cars, ugh)!

TGUS is its own unique thing after this much time, and i enjoy it for what it is... i'll miss those 3 goofballs unless they turn up elsewhere.
      Graveyard Cars is terrible. I can't stand the owner of that shop. I agree there are too many of those restoration shows on Velocity but I suspect they are uber cheap.

I love Wheeler Dealers and Fhantomworks.

21. 06-27-2016 03:09 PM #46
      I enjoyed season season 5 & 6 - in a "switch your brain off" sort of way. That's not a bad thing at all btw - sometimes I just want entertainment, and if it involves cars, even better.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Mazda Miata NA, Honda Pilot
      06-27-2016 03:18 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
      Graveyard Cars is terrible. I can't stand the owner of that shop. I agree there are too many of those restoration shows on Velocity but I suspect they are uber cheap.
      I think this is going to be TGUS' biggest hurdle to getting picked up by another network. More people to pay, larger production, etc. I hope they do get picked up, but all of those restoration shows are a crew of guys coming in to film in a shop.

23. 06-27-2016 03:23 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post

TGUS is its own unique thing after this much time, and i enjoy it for what it is..

I watched it from day 1 as its own unique thing, probably why I never had a problem with it.

24. Member
      06-27-2016 03:33 PM #49
      THis season has been pretty good so far. I'm actually sorry I didn't give it chance earlier on. The first season turned me off to it, but I've been watching it this year and its been an entertaining show.
      I drive a car.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 2004 Accord EX, 2003 LS430
      06-27-2016 04:10 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by spoon108 View Post
      I enjoyed season season 5 & 6 - in a "switch your brain off" sort of way. That's not a bad thing at all btw - sometimes I just want entertainment, and if it involves cars, even better.
      Same with me. Though, the obvious scripting sometimes did make me roll my eyes. Like hide and seek with cars and a very convenient stack of empty cardboard boxes just big enough to barely hide a car. Or two of them 'quickly' redesigning the layout of a challenge course, which is basically 4-5 gates made of 2 stacks of 4-5 tires each stack, somehow all done sneakily between the time the 3rd leaves the group, starts his car and gets to the start line... That being said, they were still a fun group, and the cars and most challenges were cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast