VWVortex.com - Pizza wars!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Pizza wars!

07-01-2016 07:35 PM #1
      [brooklyn accent]Because it's in the sauce OH!!![/brooklyn accent] Man, the pizza biz is rough!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/ny...-his-home.html

No, literary, it's in the sauce . I read in another article that a former employee of L&B Spumoni had knowledge of the sauce recipe. Then that employee went onto work at another pizza place on Staten Island (of course ).

So the two families sat down to hash out a deal. I understand that the family with L&B asked for $75,000 and they'll fuggitaboutit. But apparently only $4,000 was paid out. And I think the authorities even investigated it as a extortion case.

If I find the article again, I'll post it.

Man, my parents used to own a business nearby, walking distance. I can't believe I didn't pick up a slice. I probably even drove by the place. Oh, if you're ever in the NYC area, make sure you stop by a mom & pop pizza joint and pick up a Sicilian slice. And make sure you ask for a corner slice

07-01-2016 07:43 PM #2
      New York Post:

In 2009, Colombo crime family associate Francis “BF” Guerra, related through marriage to another co-owner, was accused of threatening and demanding money from a Staten Island pizzeria owner for allegedly stealing L&B’s pizza sauce recipe. He was cleared in a 2012 trial
      http://nypost.com/2016/06/30/owner-o...-outside-home/

Crap, I can't find the other article I read early about how the two families sat down together and settle for something like $75,000. It's not even showing up in my browser history.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      07-01-2016 09:20 PM #3

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Lexus IS250 (M/T),73 Super Beetle (M/T),2015 Boxster (M/T)
      07-01-2016 11:59 PM #4
      Spumoni gardens has the best Sicilian (square) you'll ever taste and of course you ask for a corner slice

07-02-2016 04:54 PM #5
      OK, found the article I was talking about earlier:

From yahoo:
      Francis Guerra, a Colombo associate and ex-husband of a part-owner of the pizzeria, accused an associate of the Bonanno family, Eugene Lombardo, of using the coveted L&B sauce recipe at his Staten Island pizzeria, the Square. Lombardo’s sons had worked at L&B before working for the Square, and Guerra believed that when they left they took the secret L&B sauce recipe with them.

The debate was resolved at a sit-down meeting between the two families. The Colombos asked the Lombardos to give them either part ownership of the Square, or $75,000, a hefty price for the theft of family secrets. The Lombardos opted for the latter, but only paid $4,000 of that sum.
      Damn All this for some sauce. Local news reports say the motive of the shooting is robbery. The victim had more than $10,000 in cash on him at the time.

Um, uh, if it was a robbery, then why wasn't the cash taken? I'm thinking that there's more to his story *cough*mob related*cough*

07-02-2016 07:00 PM #6
      The hell, the guy just revealed the recipe for the sauce at 1:09

For advertising information click HERE