VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread

172K views 139 replies 111 participants last post by  92murderado 
#1 ·
Hello everyone-
At the request of many of the long-time forum members, this thread is being created to serve as a place to rate the various G60 tuners one has to choose from when looking for a rebuild.
Please post in this thread to allow others to know about your experiences, good or bad, with rebuilders you've worked with. But, please post ONLY in the format indicated below. ALL other posts will be deleted or modified. I want to keep this clean and easy to read through.
Also, PLEASE try to keep this factual as opposed to emotional. Expressing unhappiness or happiness is fine, but I don't want this to degenerate into a pissing match full of emoticons and bad language.

REVIEW FORMAT:
Please post Yes/No or short answers to the following questions. Make multiple posts if you've worked with multiple rebuilders. Please do NOT post anything that does not fit this format. Feel free to leave questions blank if they don't apply. Periodically, I'll tabulate the numerical answers to the last two questions so that we can have a quick-glance "score" to look at.
Also, please enter your answers with corresponding questions so we know what you're talking about. You can copy and paste the questions into your new post, then just type your answers between them.

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to seeing the results of this thread!
-Nate
PS - for informational purposes, the three rebuilders that get the most reccomendations on here regularly are, in alphabetical order:
1) Bahn Brenner
2) Kompressor Kanada
3) ORZ-Motorsport
And although this thread was created with the intent of providing a rating method of sorts, it's important to realize that a low number of responses regarding a given rebuilder doesn't necessarily indicate that they have a bad reputation.

[Modified by SaabFan, 7:49 AM 4-18-2003]

See less See more
#125 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (SaabFan)

Rebuild Services (for both my SUPERchargers actually):
KK
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
n/a- PO did it
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
STG4+
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
Negatory.
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
Yep
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
n/a - but I've talked to KK before- guys chill.
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Vroom vroom 15+ PSI (13 right now because of my slipping belt
)
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
n/a since Im not the OG.
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.
n/a

#126 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (the_mad_rabbit)

Rebuild Services:
1) HSM
2) about 2 weeks
3) It was rebuilt and porting
4) Standard wear items
Customer Satisfaction:
1) It was okay. You can see it was a rush job.
2) Customer service was horrible he only answered sales calls. If you had a charger there or wanted post-sale support... Good luck!
3) Close to the same. Replaced the silencer and I think that helped more.
4) It had a 6 month warranty, but started to make a funny noise right around 4 months. He said it wasn't a problem, but the noise got a lot louder after the warranty was up...
Overall Rating:
1) Quality of work: 3
2) Quality of customer service: 1

#127 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (VandyMan)

Rebuild services:
1) top-gear-center (account name on ebay)
2) I have bought a charger + rebuild kit, they made rebuild extra for nothing

3) I have waited 4 hours for rebuild
4) Was made the full rebuild, bearings, apex strips, seals, timing belt, the tuning grease.
5) Parts were very high quality and I don't made any additional repairs after rebuild, there are normal VW parts, like were installed in original superchargers in Europe.
Customer satisfaction:
1) I am very happy, awesome quality and low price (the half price than in Czech Republic)
2) yes, happy too, nice people
3) The power trong uprised after the 100 km, and still on the same level

4) yes, was warranty, but I won't return nothing, everything is perfect! The rebuild was made in 2009, and will made the next rebuild here too

Overall Rating:
1) 10
2) 10

Modified by TER-CZECH at 6:07 AM 5-2-2010

#128 ·
got mine rebuilt in February..... Just finally got it on there.

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? Kompressor Kanada
think about a week or 2, went from stock to stage 4 and got it polished
complete rebuild with german parts, porting of flow chamber, polished fins, Polished knife edged outlet fins, buffed internal casing and polished flow chamber
got new apex strips included, charger was pretty worn out, had some gouges in the casing, but he smoothed them out

Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? :thumbup: yes
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? yes
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? having troubles with a leak, which i got before putting the new charger on
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? yes, no

Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 10

a pic of the difference. stage 4 on left and regular on right

#129 ·
Three rebuilds thus far with Bahn Brenner--Satisfied customer

Rebuild Services:

1) Bahn Brenner has done my last three Glader rebuilds

2) It was a 2-3 week turnaround on each occassion

3) One of my gladers is a genuine TEC 2RS twin belt which BBM has rebuilt for me twice during its life span. I've also had them rebuild my spare Glader which is fully stock.
On the TEC 2RS, I had them convert the drive belts to a single wide 19mm belt. They thoroughly clean the case and internal components and provide detailed instructions on break-in.
In addition, on my very first rebuild, due to my own error, I crushed the steel braided lower oil feed line to the Glader and they gave me a replacement. :thumbup:

4) Neither of my Gladers required repair services during the rebuild

Customer Satisfaction:
1) I'm very happy with their customer service, communication, and advice

3) Performance was maintained at the same levels.

4) My rebuild came with the BBM standard warranty

Overall Rating:
1) Quality of work - 10
2) Customer service was 10

#130 ·
I lost my TEC GT-1 due to neglect. Got busy in life and oil soaked my $8 belt. Pulling into the Del Taco drive thru at 2 mph wasn't how I expected it was going to happen.

Rebuild Services:
(2005) New Dimensions who secretly sent it to BBM for my 1st rebuild on a TEC GT-1.
. They've done a total of 3 rebuilds on my G-Ladders since.

2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? It took about three weeks to get from ND to BBM and back to me in CA.

3) What rebuild services did you have performed?
Standard rebuild back to spec for the GT-1.

4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? Yes, the bearings were noisy on cold start up. ND had unknowingly removed all the wax like coating that covered the larger inlet TEC welded to the charger. BBM restored the finish and rebuilt GT-1 back to TEC spec's. After pressing ND they came clean on what occurred and said only they did not have the resources to rebuild it.

After calling BBM to see what occurred they were ultra discreet until they knew ND had informed me of what had happened. They commended ND for asking for a hand and said I was well taken care of and had nothing bad to say about ND. Professional all the way around.

Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship (Extremely).
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service (Extremely).
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (It was back to the Orig GT-1 output).
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty (Yes, never had to use BBM's warranty).

Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. TEN
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. TEN

BBM rebuilt the TEC GT-1 twice since it was purchased new in Sept 2002. My oe G-Ladder went for almost 12 years in unmodified form. Boosting these things increases service intervals 50 to 75%. All my chargers get pulled pulled through the gears consistantly between 5-6K on shifts. They not baby'd, but not punished either.

Since I'm realistic with the G-Ladder limits I opted for another one like the TEC GT-1. BBM stands behind their stuff. They're consistently coming up with new technology to keep the G60 Corrado alive and specialize in improvements that increase performance and reliability. Here's some pics of the TEC GT-1 and a BBM VWMS w/ a full monty work over. It wont go in the car until I finish restoring the Passat moonroof conversion and replacing the fuel system with - AN type fittings and s/s braided hose. I had the G-Ladder powder coated in a chrome like finish to keep it cleaner.

Notice the machine work on the outlet fins.

TEC cut and then welded an aluminum inlet tube on their GT-1 conversion. This TEC GT-1 is dead and has a hole punched through the case. (below)

BBM ported and machined theirs to the limit of 70mm.

#136 · (Edited)
REBUILD SERVICES

1) Sent Charger to Fast Lane German Tuning

2) Sent Charger on a Monday 2 weeks later back at my door step

3) Rebuild and Stage 3 & Wide Belt with bigger inlet for Filter

4)No Repairs Needed

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION:

1)Couldn't be Happier A++++++

2)Customer Service OUTSTANDING, TOP NOTCH, EXCELLENT

3)Stock Charger 9lbs & Fast Lane German Charger 12PSI on Stock Motor

4)Came with Warranty but I haven't used it.

OVERALL RATING:

1)10+

2)10+

#138 ·
Fast Lane German Tuning

Awesome service and a great price! Sent it to them on a Friday and got I t back a week later. The prices are unbelievable and the work is fantastic. I would recommend anyone to go here. They also have hard to find bits that most other places don't have or charger an outrageous price for.

http://fastlanegermantuning.mysimplestore.com

#140 ·
BBM

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? BBM
2) What was the turnaround time? About 1 week
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.! Only standard rebuild
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? Yes, complete G charger rebuild.

Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Yes, best quality in my opinion and great customer service.
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? Yes, I get all of my g60 parts from BBM!
Yes, feel like my Corrado is brand new again!
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? Yes it came with a warrenty
but has had no problems!

Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.